• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella Glow - 3DS Import Impression Thread

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
fLepn8Z.png

Just doing up a simple import impression thread as no one had an OT claimed and myself was not interested enough to do an actual OT for this title.

About
Stella Glow is an SRPG and the last title made by the now defunct Japanese game development studio Imageepoch Inc. that is published under SEGA.

General
From playing for a few hours now and progressing in the story overall this is quite the decent title. Has some real nice music, voice work and the 2D character and background art is great. As expected the small 3D character models are nice looking also and that never has been an issue with Imageepoch in general.

Game is narrative focused as expected, so story bits with SRPG fights in between. Some sections are voiced with others being text only. So this is not a fully voiced title.

Story
Story so far am enjoying it and its what one can expect from a fantasy RPG. So with that in mind just dont go thinking too hard about things and you should be able to enjoy the game. Also the characters who have show up so far are pretty good in the sense of none of them being irritating by either writing or poor voice acting.

There is also sections of the game where the player is given "free time" which basically is limited actions up to 3 that allow the player to partake in various events such as conversations with story characters to raise their friendship, take on part time work to earn money, help tune (power up) your witch allies by clearing special event dungeons. Things like visiting the equipment shop, gem shop, my room do not take up a token.

Town / World Map Navigation
Navigation around the town is handled by a menu system.

The world map is an actual map with paths on it, similar to other SRPG titles. Areas where battles can take place will also display the general level of difficulty also.

On the World Map during mission time, there will be points on the map that are colored Blue with an enemy icon. These are free battles that you can do before heading to the main objective point which is colored Red. While these free missions are optional, its pretty important to do them for the money and exp that can be gained. Along with extra supplies from enemy drops.

Free battles on the World Map can be done multiple times once you advance a bit more in the story. On occasion you might need to enter the town to reset the battle spots, other times they seem to reset on their own.

There are also higher difficulty battles which contain high lv enemies but give good rewards and a nice way to build up exp / cash, though they can take time to finish since you will have to cheese your way to win depending on the lv spread between you and the enemies. To access these missions you pay using the Play Coins. At the moment the only one I have available costs 2 Play Coins.

Combat
Combat is pretty straightforward SRPG stuff, so should not be anything too difficult for new players. With a few interesting features thrown in. Such as the heavy knight character in the game has a chance to protect characters adjacent to them. And the song system which has various effects.

As with other SRPGs tiles / height have effects on accuracy, damage, etc. Same with facing of the enemy / characters.

Combat animations are done by a separate animation scene, you can see those in the trailers video. The good thing is if the player get sick of watching them it can be turned off it seems by pressing the Y button. Have not done that yet though.

Leveling up refills HP / SP and stats go up automatically.

EXP is gained attacking / counter-attacking / healing etc. Where Im at currently EXP does not seem to be shared, so you need to keep things alive so lower lv characters can get the larger exp reward for kills.

Also if a battle is going poorly and you want to restart, no need to go loading up data again as there is an actual start battle over from the beginning option which is appreciated.

In the missions if you check the Mission Objectives, there will be sub objectives that if completed will award the player with equipment / supplies that are listed. Though since these appear on story missions too (which can only be played once), it is suggested to try and accomplish these if possible. Some examples are, Main Character kills X amount of enemies on the map, Get the first hit in combat, Dont let any allies retreat, etc. Pretty standard stuff.

Folks may wonder why the AI is not more aggressive, but honestly with the title if it was and constantly advanced towards the player would make things overly difficult. This title seems to work off of trigger locations / proximity for getting the AI active in battle, so getting closer to an enemy or passing a certain point on the map is what will trigger them to start advancing towards or attack the player. While some many not like that too much I would have to say its a fair compromise.

Battle Maps
While things in the game start off small with maps, later on there are some larger maps available. The details on some of the maps are nice too. The only one thing I would say folks will have an issue with is that the game does not support rotating the map itself. You can zoom in / out though, but its nothing special.

The free battle maps, while the map base is the same there will be occasions where the set monsters will be different at times. Its not "randomized" just a different pre-set monster list is called up and placed.

In Closing
Overall think this will be quite an enjoyable game and am glad to see that their last title did not turn out to be some sort of mess. At least not yet anyways, but early impressions are quite positive from the full game and hope others who will be purchasing it will enjoy the title also.

Media
World & Game System
Teaser
Risette Song / Gameplay
Popo Song / Gameplay
Sakuya Song / Gameplay
Moldimolt Song / Gameplay

Someones playthrough video of the eShop demo version.

Parakeetman

Here's Konomi Suzuki singing the main theme.

Sorry, all I have to offer, though I'll be reading up people's impressions.

Cool stuff, she really has a great voice.

How's the framerate in both the overworld and the 3D battle scenes? 30 or 60?

Not sure as I hardly pay attention to things like framerate unless it is a slideshow. lol
Looks fine to me. Sure its YT quality, but what you see in the YT vids is basically what you can expect.

Kysen

Wow I stumbled across this game by accident on the eshop (downloading new phoenix wright demo) it looks good. Gonna try out the demo.

Parakeetman

Wow I stumbled across this game by accident on the eshop (downloading new phoenix wright demo) it looks good. Gonna try out the demo.

Its pretty enjoyable personally as an SRPG fan Im having a good time with it. As an overall package feels pretty complete. While it doesnt try anything ambitious, it does a good job for what it is.

Hikami

Didn't know this was out already or that it had a demo..
Downloading the demo now, will try it out later today.

Probably won't get the full game though since the English release is also supposed to be coming out this year right?

Parakeetman

There is only one tiny issue that am not happy with, though I need to check the main menu if there is actual volume options, is the music at times is a bit loud so it can overpower the voices. Its a problem that happens a lot in games on occasion. So currently am playing with headphones that helps.

Have not check yet if there is an option to adjust volume from the main menu as did not expect that.

Found it in game from the Menu pressing Start will open the Option menu that has SE BGM VOICE level settings.

Didn't know this was out already or that it had a demo..
Downloading the demo now, will try it out later today.

Probably won't get the full game though since the English release is also supposed to be coming out this year right?

Yeah seems like atlus got it, which is good since personally think this most def might be one of the better games done by IE.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/stella-glow-coming-to-north-america-this-year

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Whether or not there's an option to turn off/skip battle animations is probably going to make or break the purchase for me. Even in the demo they felt really sluggish and repetitive.

Parakeetman

Whether or not there's an option to turn off/skip battle animations is probably going to make or break the purchase for me. Even in the demo they felt really sluggish and repetitive.

Ill try it out in the next battle. But yeah combat can feel a little slow.

Didnt switch it on yet as was still looking at the animations lol

In the options you can also switch those battle animations totally.

Looks kinda weird with no animations but does speed things up more.

Parakeetman

Really is a shame more of the game isnt voiced. Would have added even further to the overall quality of the game if so. Breaks the immersion with the characters a bit since starts off heavily voiced then cuts more into text.

Cant be helped though so its more of a personal issue than one that would be an actual negative on the design of the game.

alvis.exe

This might be a weird question but how is it compared to Maiden Heaven? I think you've said that you played that game before in the past? Sorry if I'm making that up!

Parakeetman

This might be a weird question but how is it compared to Maiden Heaven? I think you've said that you played that game before in the past? Sorry if I'm making that up!

Granted they are two totally different games gameplay, wise Id have to say that this far beats its. Really did not like Maiden Heaven at all. Especially the gameplay in the battles.

As a personal preference Id far rather spend money on this game than Magna. Not to mention I wound up selling Magna which I rarely do.

The maps from what I saw looked rather small and bland. Are there larger maps with a variety of features? How challenging is the game compared to other SRPGs?

Parakeetman

The maps from what I saw looked rather small and bland. Are there larger maps with a variety of features? How challenging is the game compared to other SRPGs?

Not sure what you are looking for when asking for a "variety of features". Still early on so maps are small as expected though. So far difficulty is fairly standard stuff, but at this point where Im at my current levels match with the enemies fine so its not like I am overpowering things to the point of it being unbalanced. That and they start you off with stronger team members from the start. But its up to you to actually balance out your party characters levels since exp is not shared.

There has been other maps shown in the videos available.

Overall would say its hard to judge difficulty till I make it at least halfway into the game.

Parakeetman

Using free time to raise friendship is pretty important since it seems to unlock support abilities for the characters.

Though right now at the start too money is scarce too so the part time jobs at the bar help with that. Those are not minigames and just more mini events it seems. Wonder if some will be battles later on as they have star rankings.

Finally the search feature allows you to spend a free time token and have have the chance to find an item. Not sure if there are any occasions where you will not find something though.

In regards to junk gained from vatyle the shop will automatically offer to buy stuff from you. The items meant just for selling that is, which is appreciated.

In between mission and free time sections the game shows an odd clock with red and blue circles. Red is Missions and Blue is Free time.

As much as I did not thing very highly of Imageepoch in general this is surprisingly the well made title. And once again am quite happy with it.

alvis.exe

Granted they are two totally different games gameplay, wise Id have to say that this far beats its. Really did not like Maiden Heaven at all. Especially the gameplay in the battles.

As a personal preference Id far rather spend money on this game than Magna. Not to mention I wound up selling Magna which I rarely do.

Haha yeah I figured they'd be pretty hard to compare but glad to hear your impressions! It sounds like Stella Glow might have more gameplay systems to mess around with both in and out of battles? Would love to see if your opinion changes at all after you beat this game.

Awaiting to hear to what the relationship building events are like between the MC and the male knights. I'd love to see some gay lovin' going on. (The added it to LA3, but the new LA is all an female harem, but since this is pretty much a Luminous Arc game in all but title, I'm wondering how they'll handle it.)

Parakeetman

Haha yeah I figured they'd be pretty hard to compare but glad to hear your impressions! It sounds like Stella Glow might have more gameplay systems to mess around with both in and out of battles? Would love to see if your opinion changes at all after you beat this game.

Am pretty sure it wont as all the things available are a pretty good idea of what the game has to offer. Unless there is something totally game breaking. The general flow of the title feels good too pacing wise. Though as expected with the start of the game lots of story bits to go through, which is shown in the eShop demo.

While this isnt a title that is like something Id tell people to go out of their way to buy when it comes out. Would suggest it to those who like SRPGs and want something to play.

Out of battle is more just deciding what to do, but its not like there are minigames and stuff to do. Such as the Summon Night series for example. But the existing systems in Stella Glow are enough I think. Most def want to focus on the whole raising friendship as the extra support abilities the ally characters get is useful.

Awaiting to hear to what the relationship building events are like between the MC and the male knights. I'd love to see some gay lovin' going on. (The added it to LA3, but the new LA is all an female harem, but since this is pretty much a Luminous Arc game in all but title, I'm wondering how they'll handle it.)

You know thats not going to happen. Esp considering the story pretty much already pairs off the MC and main female protagonist with the plot.

max.renn

Neo Member
I just played around 30 minutes of the demo, and was really quite enjoyable. Character models are well done, and the battle system is smooth and compelling. The only thing holding me back for ordering Stella is my lackluster Japanese. I know I will not be able to keep up with the narrative, from previous posts and from the demo, it would seem that the game is pretty heavily narrative driven. For those of you who are further in, is this the case? Would my experience be dramatically lacking?

Parakeetman

I just played around 30 minutes of the demo, and was really quite enjoyable. Character models are well done, and the battle system is smooth and compelling. The only thing holding me back for ordering Stella is my lackluster Japanese. I know I will not be able to keep up with the narrative, from previous posts and from the demo, it would seem that the game is pretty heavily narrative driven. For those of you who are further in, is this the case? Would my experience be dramatically lacking?

Yeah you would be missing out on a lot of the story and character interactions during the free time events. So unless you just want a game to play without the story, might suggest waiting for the localized version by Atlus.

max.renn

Neo Member
Yeah you would be missing out on a lot of the story and character interactions during the free time events. So unless you just want a game to play without the story, might suggest waiting for the localized version by Atlus.

Thats what I expected. Jeez, I did not know that it is slated for western release in June though ʕ̡̢̡ʘ̅͟͜͡ʘ̲̅ʔ̢̡̢ def be waiting.

Awesome impressions so far, can't wait to play this. It looked nice on paper but I've been burned way too many times with games like these.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ill try it out in the next battle. But yeah combat can feel a little slow.

Didnt switch it on yet as was still looking at the animations lol

In the options you can also switch those battle animations totally.

Looks kinda weird with no animations but does speed things up more.
Sounds good

You know thats not going to happen. Esp considering the story pretty much already pairs off the MC and main female protagonist with the plot.
Really disappointing if that ends up to be true, though even the short bit of the demo was setting it up that way. Really wanted to pair him w/ Hilda when she inevitably joins up with you haha

Parakeetman

Sounds good

Really disappointing if that ends up to be true, though even the short bit of the demo was setting it up that way. Really wanted to pair him w/ Hilda when she inevitably joins up with you haha

It seems thats how things are going plot wise anyways, unless it does the ambiguous harem ending kinda its like stuck with everyone sorta deal. Will see how it progresses but so far it feels like while the MC might be able to get friendly with the other girls Id guess they will be stuck with the main heroine?

Since the main plot is basically
is the MC and main heroine restore the village along with the heroines mother, who the MC owes a lot to since they took him in when they found him initially.
where as in other titles such as like a school setting one the plot is more open in that sense.

Parakeetman

Still slowly making my way through the game and enjoying it. One thing though, I seriously hope there is a gem or accessory that allows for longer movement distance. Since the heavy knight, (keep forgetting what his name is) is way too slow lol. So a lot of the time the battles are over before he really does anything. Esp if its a map with lots of elevation in it.

Guy is pretty useful if its in the thick of things, but getting there is half the battle lol.

All hail Popo.

Looking forward to meeting the rest of the cast eventually.

Really appreciate it that shes the first one you meet for the other witches, mainly because the party most def did need a bow user.

Parakeetman

Slowing making progress so doing another update.

Am progressing through the part where the next witch Sakuya will join the party. Maps have gotten a little larger and can put up a bit of a challenge depending on your level vs the monsters.

The tuning maps though on the other hand esp the event ones may irritating people due to how they are designed. As there are moving platforms that require the player to stop on it before it moves, therefore you waste a turn with activating it / having it move to the other side. Outside of that, so far the other maps are not as bad. Though a lot of the ones with heavy changes to the elevation make the heavy knight Archbold? pretty much useless which is why I rarely use him.

So far have not come across an accessory or crystal that allows for movement stat increase, but Popo once you raise her friendship level to 1 heart fragment she gains a song ability that can increase speed and movement. So that helps a lot.

Battles generally do take a good amount of time so folks who prefer more speedy type of gameplay that might irritate too. I think part of the problem with the delays in battle is due to the UI having to show up before an enemy makes their move. While its very brief it adds up. But as mentioned you can turn off the animations so that does help.

Money most def does not become a problem anymore, which makes me wonder what the real purpose of the part time work system is at the bar. Since it seems to be far more advantageous to be spending the free time tokens to strengthen the friendship bonds with the other characters for their skills / stat support boosts.

Also what is nice is as you advance in the story the free battles on the map generally will up their levels to match what is necessary to help advance to the recommended level for the story mission.

Once again overall really am enjoying the title and writing and do hope others will too once it hits the West.

Will update again once I get further into the title. Most likely after I reach the point where I meet Moldimolt.

Oh yeah one thing people will have to make a habit of is actually using the mid-save feature. Since there are some stages where restarting it will take you back all the way to a previous scenario map as it considers the a stage multiple parts. Also this game unlike others the whole mid-save feature does not turn the game off after it is performed. So it acts like a normal save just in the middle of battle.

GeekyDad

Probably my most-anticipated 3DS game right now. Can't wait for Atlus to announce an actual US release date.

Parakeetman

Currently at 40 hours of play time and am maybe 80% done with the game. Really must say this is indeed a pretty enjoyable game. Only real downside is how long some levels can take. And as mentioned before how functionality on some maps are.

Over all am quite happy with the title and should be done with it before popolocrois comes out.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Currently at 40 hours of play time and am maybe 80% done with the game. Really must say this is indeed a pretty enjoyable game. Only real downside is how long some levels can take. And as mentioned before how functionality on some maps are.

Over all am quite happy with the title and should be done with it before popolocrois comes out.
Does the story end up
shoehorning that risette relationship
?

Parakeetman

Does the story end up
shoehorning that risette relationship
?

so far its looking that way am unable to do the final tuning with popo so am unsure what happens if you max it out. The final tuning seems to be locked till later. But plot wise it looks like the pairing is with Risette

GeekyDad

Japanese audio or no? I'm already importing a box with Dancing All Night, Great Ace Attorney and Rhythm Tengoku. No Japanese audio and I'll add Stella Glow to the list.

Good question. Not sure, really. Considering Atlus' past localizations, I'm guessing no Japanese audio. They're also tacking on their Atlus tax (game will be $50 from what I understand), so perhaps that's due to costs for English voice actors. No clue, really.

Parakeetman

Must say that outside of some design mechanics with the gameplay and such, this might quite possibly be one of the best titles Imageepoch has put out. Really good charcters and story for the most part.

hongcha

I finally got my copy and I've played for a few hours. I had fairly high expectations after Toushin Toshi (a game I really enjoyed), and I have not been disappointed thus far. I like pretty much everything about the game: it has a nice 90s JRPG vibe, and the battles remind me of Jeanne D'Arc (another game I enjoyed). I'm looking forward to playing more.

Parakeetman

I finally got my copy and I've played for a few hours. I had fairly high expectations after Toushin Toshi (a game I really enjoyed), and I have not been disappointed thus far. I like pretty much everything about the game: it has a nice 90s JRPG vibe, and the battles remind me of Jeanne D'Arc (another game I enjoyed). I'm looking forward to playing more.

At the start there are not that many useful skills for characters and over leveling helps open those up.

Music is quite good also.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Japanese audio or no? I'm already importing a box with Dancing All Night, Great Ace Attorney and Rhythm Tengoku. No Japanese audio and I'll add Stella Glow to the list.

From Atlus USA's PR: "The game will contain English voices, but with the 20+ songs are in their original Japanese, performed by some of Japan's most beloved voice actresses. "

Top Bottom