• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

I don't think many people really think they're dinosaurs. It's just easier to refer to them as that than Catoplepas. :p

It's just the first thing that sprouts to mind, I guess. Prior to FFXIII's release, people referred to the Adamantoise/Gui as dinosaurs too. Now, when people who've played the game refer to them, it's by the correct names.

did they actually say that we will get a full blowout of informations at the gamescom or just that the campaing for this game will start at the gamscom?

Philippo

Have we even seen whatever "vertical" exploration was in VSXIII?

Shown to the public? No. Only promises by Nomura and "stuff he had seen" on the development builds.

Well there's that clip from TGS ATR where Noctis teleport higher in the Royal Palace, that should give an idea of how verticality should work. I thinks it's still well in the game, it's kinda bound to the idea of teleport itself.

Same thing for climbing monster, Tabata mentioned it in one of the past livestreams saying it was integrated yet, who knows if it's true, but in Duscae you can see a counter to Behemot that looks like it. Maybe it got a bit limited, who knows.

Ishida

Banned
Well there's that clip from TGS ATR where Noctis teleport higher in the Royal Palace, that should give an idea of how verticality should work. I thinks it's still well in the game, it's kinda bound to the idea of teleport itself.

Same thing for climbing monster, Tabata mentioned it in one of the past livestreams saying it was integrated yet, who knows if it's true, but in Duscae you can see a counter to Behemot that looks like it. Maybe it got a bit limited, who knows.

Ah yeah, but that clip was from FFXV. wmlk was asking for stuff from Versus XIII.

chozen

I thought warping was disabled outside of combat now though... I would like to warp around towns to get to high points and find chests and stuff.

But they changed that fact so whats it like now?

wmlk

Nomura talked about pulling yourself to the top of the building through the air conditioner lol.

Stuff like that should just be forgotten since it was never shown. There's no point holding on to empty promises.

Besides, the bit Nomura was talking about was for the invasion anyway. A set piece.

KupoNut

Have we even seen whatever "vertical" exploration was in VSXIII?

In the old Versus footage we saw Noctis jumping off a ledge, and there were some more vertical level designs

whereisversus6102.jpg

hGi1gkh.gif

Mr. RHC

Vertical exploration and big interactive zones have been hinted at since day one and well into 2014 like in the video Philippo posted.

I'd rather call it evolution of concepts instead of empty promises.

LowParry

I think at this point there's TOO much going on for E3. Gamescon for FFXV seems just right. Too bad we aren't at least getting some form of a trailer. Some fancy announcement of an announcement sort of thing. Ah well.

wmlk

In the old Versus footage we saw Noctis jumping off a ledge, and there were some more vertical level designs

whereisversus6102.jpg

hGi1gkh.gif

I mean, if this is what we're talking about then it's a standard thing for open world games. There are drops in the demo that are from just as high. I don't get the "vertical" term being thrown around since it's a loose concept.

The disappointing thing though is that it'll have fall damage.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I mean, if this is what we're talking about then it's a standard thing for open world games. I don't get the "vertical" term being thrown around since it's a loose concept.

The disappointing thing though is that it'll have fall damage.
What's wrong with fall damage. You know even FF14 has that.

Mr. RHC

I mean, if this is what we're talking about then it's a standard thing for open world games.

It depends on the altitude imo. Jumping down a cliff of 20 to 50 feet combined with a warp jump up a tower would be pretty fast paced travelling.

wmlk

What's wrong with fall damage. You know even FF14 has that.

Is FFXIV a game that has a main character who should be able to warp to anywhere he likes without any kind of vertical acceleration?

Noctis should be able to reduce any fall damage with just teleporting freely to the bottom. We see it in E3 2013.

It's weird because I don't think falling from a warp point causes any damage, but I could be totally wrong. I'm 100% sure it was like this at TGS 2014's live demo.

zennyzz

Is FFXIV a game that has a main character who should be able to warp to anywhere he likes without any kind of vertical acceleration?

Noctis should be able to reduce any fall damage with just teleporting freely to the bottom. We see it in E3 2013.

It's weird because I don't think falling from a warp point causes any damage.

but that's actually doing something to stop your fall.

No fall damage means that if he jumped off a 50 story building, why waste mp warping? you won't get a penalty.

chozen

Isn't this is the solution to the fall damage though? Why would they let us warp so high just to punish us with fall damage? It makes no sense.

HeartyEasyAmericanbulldog.gif

wmlk

but that's actually doing something to stop your fall.

No fall damage means that if he jumped off a 50 story building, why waste mp warping? you won't get a penalty.

Then if that's the case, I'd gladly waste MP to avoid fall damage.

Isn't this is the solution to the fall damage though? Why would they let us warp so high just to punish us with fall damage? It makes no sense.

HeartyEasyAmericanbulldog

This is what I'm talking about. I'd gladly do that.

https://youtu.be/eOqnITb9Bnw?t=6m

There's also no fall damage here even without using warp. There are some weird and inconsistent conditions right now.

Mr. RHC

I also think there is a difference between vertical movement between designated checkpoints and vertical movement anywhere on the map.

1371016196-noctis-teleport.gif

In a setting where this is possible fall damage should only be a thing when you are out of magic points or something.

Fantasy based on reality.

Noctis has the ability to withstand the foot of a giant hundreds of times his size. Why is a six foot fall hurting him? I just don't think falling damage has great justification and acts as more of a hindrance than a mechanic. Ditto for getting tired from running. We'll see though.

chozen

Then if that's the case, I'd gladly waste MP to avoid fall damage.

This is what I'm talking about. I'd gladly do that.

https://youtu.be/eOqnITb9Bnw?t=6m

There's also no fall damage here even without using warp. There are some weird conditions right now.

YES I Remeber seeing that at the TGS Demonstration and If you try this in the demo you just take fall damage, something is definitely wrong here.

wmlk

YES I Remeber seeing that at the TGS Demonstration and If you try this in the demo you just take fall damage, something is definitely wrong here.

Are you sure dropping off from a warp point right now causes damage? That would be different from TGS 2014.

Noctis has the ability to withstand the foot of a giant hundreds of times his size. Why is a six foot fall hurting him? I just don't think falling damage has great justification and acts as more of a hindrance than a mechanic. Ditto for getting tired from running. We'll see though.

lol yeah. Fantasy based on reality can only take you so far when the original concept by Nomura wasn't that realistic to begin with. If fact, Tabata is seemingly doing it more justice. I thought the tagline was skin deep from the very beginning.

An elegant solution would be using warp to mitigate any fall damage.

Exactly.

2679764-7705655961-14119.gif

Problem solved.

If there are no enemies, this is impossible right now.

chozen

Exactly.

2679764-7705655961-14119.gif

Problem solved.

So what is there aren't any more enemies left say you just warped up there and gladio just killed the last enemy what then? You gonna have to drop and take fall damage. This happened to me a bit in the demo

Are you sure dropping off from a warp point right now causes damage? That would be different from TGS 2014.

It does do damage, it's not like it was in TGS 2014 where they didn't take damage. To be specific I'm talking about the metal towers you can warp to

Edit* I'm Gonna make some gifs right now to show you guys the legit issue.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think a lot of early concepts and animations and moves are gonna be eventually cut or repurposed. It's just inevitable with how they're trying to contain this imaginative (it is!) setting to an actual video game production with some pretty visible constraints and the desire to get the thing out of the door already. In a "We'd like to just let you warp anywhere anytime but we've gotta limit open world modelling and formalize battle system somehow" way.

Mr. RHC

So what is there aren't any more enemies left say you just warped up there and gladio just killed the last enemy what then? You gonna have to drop and take fall damage.

Hmm. Maybe make it a bit tricky. Some multiple finger combo to land savely or take damage if your timing is off.

This thread might be GAFs biggest overreaction of all time. The game is not an "entirely different game," what is wrong with you guys? The setting, music, characters with the exception of Stella, is the same. The gameplay was changed, but it was changed way back in E3 2013. The game in its current state will still play like E3 2013 when Nomura was at the helm.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This thread might be GAFs biggest overreaction of all time. The game is not an "entirely different game," what is wrong with you guys? The setting, music, characters with the exception of Stella, is the same. The gameplay was changed, but it was changed way back in E3 2013. The game in its current state will still play like E3 2013 when Nomura was at the helm.

Actually I wish music wasn't the same because they've been hitting the same three tracks for years.

Mr. RHC

Actually I wish music wasn't the same because they've been hitting the same three tracks for years.

iB7AVGGAhsZh7.gif

They'd outsource a lot of the work to studios around the world, and it would get done under 2 years.

And I don't think that's a bad thing, either. That's how Hollywood gets their SFX done too.

A lot of that "only a fine in-house Japanese studio could deliver such top notch gaming artistry" thinking is outdated 20th century hocus pocus. Since when do they deliver flawless masterpieces and how is it worth the wait exactly?

If I were in charge of SE I'd totally keep high level art and design in house, but I'd export a lot of the busywork to other studios.

That's

Uh

Exactly what they're doing?

XPEC is working on FFXV. They got a pretty good track record...

HexaDrive is also working on FFXV. These two companies have already been publicized.

There are undoubtedly other companies too, but we haven't heard about them.

That's just outsourcing some of it though, I meant having a developer outside of SE's internal development as the core developer.

Hajime Tabata said outright that it's a different game now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's just outsourcing some of it though, I meant having a developer outside of SE's internal development as the core developer.
I don't think it needs to be like they hand it off to someone else. But more like the multiple international studio system that allows Ubisoft to get Assassin's Creed games out the door in a 2 year development turnaround.

Obviously that has gone awry in the past... But what about that kind of distributed manpower without the deadlines of annualization?

I wasn't sure if XPEC represents that kind of endevor though. Could be. Hexdrive seems much more about specialized technological needs, rather than manpower, but what do I know..

Naw, I'm sure there has been other GAF overreactions that probably eclipse this. This one is mostly a practice in understandable disappointment. Fans have been waiting for this game for almost a decade so of course some people are going to react in a negative manner when the game changes in unfamiliar ways. For almost 10 years we have known of a character named Stella, now that she is gone, it's understandable that people will be confused as to what is going on with this game.

For as little as I knew about Stella, besides her elegant design and the little dialogue she is given, her removal is probably the "final" nail in the coffin for the original FFvXIII story Nomura envisioned. The new staff still have his world, characters, and concepts that Nomura established, they are just gonna tell a different tale that, I would hope, explores themes the same Nomura wanted to. Luna's introduction as the new elegant princess who is acquainted with Noct is almost as significant as the transition from "versus" to XV.

The only overreaction that I feel isn't warrant is when people start going "They took out character = game is obviously going to be terrible" leaps of logic that don't make any sense.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In 14 your character is blessed by the world's crystal and is basically the chosen one who can do anything.

Reveirg

The gameplay was changed, but it was changed way back in E3 2013. The game in its current state will still play like E3 2013 when Nomura was at the helm.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that a lot of stuff from E3 2013 has been dropped. That's the most frustrating part for me. Removing weapon switching did not bother me that much. Changes in the battle system didn't bother me that much. Even Stella's removal doesn't really do much for me... but:

-Dropping multiple playable characters
-All the beginning section cut
-Possibly no more Leviathan sequence while swimming (it was arguably the E3 2013 trailer's "wow" moment)
-No more warp outside of battles, most likely removing verticality in exploration
-Part of Nomura's feel/"esthetic" gone along with him.

Those changes are making me more and more nervous.

Fans have waited from 2006 to 2013. We were told the game had been rebooted, fine. That news came with a whole new set of promises, and a lot of them have already been broken. Can't blame people for being disappointed.

wmlk

-Dropping multiple playable characters
-All the beginning section cut
-Possibly no more Leviathan sequence while swimming (it was arguably the E3 2013 trailer's "wow" moment)
-No more warp outside of battles, most likely removing verticality in exploration
-Part of Nomura's feel/"esthetic" gone along with him

- In favour of more advanced gameplay for Noctis
- The beginning section had nothing to do with E3 2013 since it was not at Lucis
- People are misinterpreting underwater battles for floating on water (watch the ATR)
- All of those warps were during battles in set piece moments
- Well yeah, he's no longer the director

It's closer to E3 2013 than you think. Tabata said that E3 2013 was the prototype basically.

Well, if there's any light to all this, there's going to be one HELL of an Ultimania for FFXV!

benzy

- In favour of more advanced gameplay for Noctis
- The beginning section had nothing to do with E3 2013 since it was not at Lucis
- People are misinterpreting underwater battles for floating on water (watch the ATR)
- All of those warps were during battles in set piece moments
- Well yeah, he's no longer the director

It's closer to E3 2013 than you think. Tabata said that E3 2013 was the prototype basically.

Yeah, and warping anywhere outside of battles as a form of travel just gave way too many bugs and glitches if I remember right. It was a good call to remove it, the game probably would never come out otherwise.

Top Bottom