• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

Wagram

Dude... for all you know, Luna goes Super Saiyan and kills Noctis and Co.

You're studying cinematic bullshots trying to ascertain the moods or mindsets of people who aren't even real. You're truly overthinking this.

Welcome to the joy that is the Final Fantasy community.

Mifec

I'm not a fan of her face. Way too anime for me.
Even though people in here are confused I get exactly what you mean and I have the same problem. Maybe I'm weird but to me Luna just looks too much like a child while Stella looked like someone who I wouldn't mind looking at while she acts tough/fights. In Luna's care it will come of as cringy, especially if the voice actor isn't good.
As if DMC isn't the most Linear Button mashy Generic story telling type of game there is. Don't compare that trash to KH Thanks.

This post is really weird, this is my response to it

ef6.png

Nerokis

This is insane to me. The level of extroplating going on in here. Not to single you out, but this one had a lot of pictures.

I mean, they're just pictures of girls. Getting all these character traits is crazy. On both sides really. We really don't know how either character will or would've been so why does it matter so much?

This is another post-Versus XIII support group thread. People come to these threads to mourn what never was and never could be, find scapegoats (Tabata for the most part), and to convince one another that the past ~10 years resulted in something concrete enough to justify so much suffering. Everyone is desperately looking for a sign, something that can convince them to either let go or continue holding on, and the signals are all too mixed.

In these threads, everything is amplified and has an ominous air. Feedback is poisonous. Key developers are dirtbags and liars. And Stella was a self-confident goddess, whereas Luna is frail anime character #1024918.

It's understandable. I'm not nearly as excited for FFXV as I used to be, and it feels surreal. I would almost prefer the bitterness and disappointment I see around here to the numbness I now feel inside.

Dark_castle

People thought she got yet another redesign. How wrong we were! And it was only for a short while anyway.

Kinda implies that Luna and Stella doesn't look that much different? Otherwise people wouldn't have thought they're the same character, just a slight redesign. By that virtue, if Luna is too anime, Stella is fairly anime as well. :p

FFXV-Stella.png

B5kTOJJCAAAg4TX.png

I think what's worrisome about Luna isn't just that she's replacing Stella, but that she's replacing her under Tabata. If they can suddenly no longer fit one of the most important characters in the game, that's alarming enough. Why? Does it reveal a fundamental change for the game's ultimate direction and its mythology?

Then there's also a Tabata. After presumably having a meeting and discussing player comments, they found it contradictory that players might want a female character but also complained that Cindy was over the top. What limited purpose can female characters serve under Tabata's direction? It leads me to think back on Rem with a more critical eye and wonder what's in store for Luna. The former was clearly intended to inspire "protective" feelings from the player.

Ishida

Banned
I think what's worrisome about Luna isn't just that she's replacing Stella, but that she's replacing her under Tabata. If they can suddenly no longer fit one of the most important characters in the game, that's alarming enough. Why? Does it reveal a fundamental change for the game's ultimate direction and its mythology?

Then there's also a Tabata. After presumably having a meeting and discussing player comments, they found it contradictory that players might want a female character but also complained that Cindy was over the top. What limited purpose can female characters serve under Tabata's direction? It leads me to think back on Rem with a more critical eye and wonder what's in store for Luna. The former was clearly intended to inspire "protective" feelings from the player.

Well, it's not like Nomura is known for having created "strong" female characters....

catbrush

Why does everyone assume there's behind the scenes drama and bad blood between Nomura and Tabata?

Square Enix needs Kingdom Hearts 3 to be finished this decade while there is such overwhelming demand. I highly doubt Nomura is "on thin ice." He is headlining the next gen version of KH. KH is huge. A collaboration with Disney is monumental.

He can't work full time on both projects and without Nomura there really is no KH3, seeing as the franchise is basically fanfiction starting his OC. People who were kids when KH1/2 came out are young adults with buying power now, and the franchise has a sacred status to them.

Kinda implies that Luna and Stella doesn't look that much different? Otherwise people wouldn't have thought they're the same character, just a slight redesign. By that virtue, if Luna is too anime, Stella is fairly anime as well. :p

FFXV-Stella.png

B5kTOJJCAAAg4TX.png
Stella is certainly anime. I don't know what it is though, but when I look at that picture and see Luna, her face just looks so much more...round? I'm not sure how to describe it. Stella had more angled anime features (to my eyes) that made her look more mature and a bit more stern even. Luna's design is so...rounded and kiddish.

chozen

This post is really weird, this is my response to it

ef6.png

In comparison to Kingdom hearts, yes trying to claim DMC is less linear than a KH game is quite the laugh.

"Kid could draw real good, and they gave him the reigns of a few linear button mashy games that turned out okay... That's about it." < BocoDragons comment against Nomura, and claims Hideki Kamiya makes exceptional games, the contradiction is real. Must be trollin.

*Edit whoops repost

zennyzz

Stella is certainly anime. I don't know what it is though, but when I look at that picture and see Luna, her face just looks so much more...round? I'm not sure how to describe it. Stella had more angled anime features (to my eyes) that made her look more mature and a bit more stern even. Luna's design is so...rounded and kiddish.

I don't thin either face look particularly more anime that the other. I do however think that Luna's face looks a lot less life like than Stella's which i attribute largely to the texture of their skin. There's a really stark difference in how Stella's skin looks to how Luna's does.

I'm pretty sure Nomura wasn't involved with 3rd birthday in any major role. Can you back it up being his suggestion, because I could have sworn it had been toriyama if I'm not remembering fan speculation.

No, it was Nomura's.

He doesn't have a particularly stellar track record either.

How does he not? He tends to write assertive female characters. Aerith left the party to save the world on her own. Rinoa, despite being ultimately naive, enlisted the party's help while trying to liberate Timber practically on her own. Yuna is probably the strongest female character square has written (I'm ignoring the sequel). Stella's concept seems very nojima to me.

Ishida

Banned
I still don't understand the complains about Stella or Luna being "too anime".

Is being "too anime" a bad thing? Especially on a japanese game that already has a protagonist that looks like this?

FFXV-Gameplay-Trailer_06-11.jpg

zennyzz

Well I'll be damned.

I love Nomura's work, but I, for one, welcome our new Tabata overlord.

Even with this on his record:

I think Tabata's good at what he aims to do, or actualizing what he's been given to set up.

I'm fond of all three of his game's battle systems and believe he has a cohesive tone(within the concept of each individual game) that doesn't betray itself.

Like conceptually there's a clear progression in things he's done in Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday to Type-0 and from Type-0 to XV

As a director, I've never considered he's gone sideways, but always progressed forward from one point to another.

My only real concern for this game is the story, which is something that I've been concerned for since it was a nomura project.

catbrush

In comparison to Kingdom hearts, yes trying to claim DMC is less linear than a KH game is quite the laugh.

"Kid could draw real good, and they gave him the reigns of a few linear button mashy games that turned out okay... That's about it." < BocoDragons comment against Nomura, and claims Hideki Kamiya makes exceptional games, the contradiction is real. Must be trollin.
With all due respect to KH's scope and artistry, its combat has the depth of a kiddie pool compared to DMC or NG. KH 1 and 2 were equally and opposedly flawed button mashers. They're both fine for what the games are trying to achieve, but 1's clunky everything and 2's band-aid fix of lock on and mash the attack button to win is not remotely comparable.

Edit: I will try KH2FM Critical Mode level 1 when KH2.5 is ported to PS4.

Skilletor

I love how there's like 4 seconds of footage for Luna and people know everything about her character.

I've been following the game from the start, and the fact that it was even a question whether Stella and Luna were the same person makes me say, "Hmm, I'll wait and see how this turns out."

*Edit whoops repost

as if this thread wasn't bonkers enough, we have DMC getting called "button mashy" and Kamiya getting thrown under the bus for fuckin Kingdom Hearts lol

Turin

Banned
I'm not a fan of her face. Way too anime for me.

That's something I don't care for about XV in general. It's kind of in a bizarro world where some characters look anime and others look human.

The lack of humanoid facial structure has been an odd peeve of mine.

chozen

With all due respect to KH's scope and artistry, its combat has the depth of a kiddie pool compared to DMC or NG. KH 1 and 2 were equally and opposedly flawed button mashers. They're both fine for what the games are trying to achieve, but 1's clunky everything and 2's band-aid fix of lock on and mash the attack button to win is not remotely comparable.

Once again KH2FM Critical Mode level 1 will show you it's not a button masher anymore its' equal to what a dante must die mode is. I hate it when people put KH2 on beginner and go calling it a button masher, makes me laugh my ass off. More people need to pick up KH 2.5 and do themselves a favor to see the real game.

Both games were built for the casual and the hardcore, I can button mash through dmc all day as well if I put it on easy mode lol you prove nothing. You might as well be in the minority who thinks that DMC is superior because even in DMCS own forums

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/65063645

Fine day.

Edit* Not throwing Kamiya under the bus, Fine yes the games are fun BUT DMC3 did come with Dante must die mode while all of NA missed out on kh 2 critical mode, So I understand why people think KH is casual.

zennyzz

I'm pretty sure Nomura wasn't involved with 3rd birthday in any major role. Can you back it up being his suggestion, because I could have sworn it had been toriyama if I'm not remembering fan speculation.

How does he not? He tends to write assertive female characters. Aerith left the party to save the world on her own. Rinoa, despite being ultimately naive, enlisted the party's help while trying to liberate Timber practically on her own. Yuna is probably the strongest female character square has written (I'm ignoring the sequel). Stella's concept seems very nojima to me.

Are we ignoring his other games now? And character assertiveness isn't what I use as a definition of a compelling character. I don't even consider his Aerith anything notable character wise within the confines of FF7.

As for the clothing damage. There's a number of articles referencing Nomura specifically highlighting and explaining the system for it and even suggesting how you have to choose between not getting hurt and having clothes torn off. He's clearly much more passionate about that aspect than any of the other big name people working on the game. And there's his tweets on the 3rd birthday twitter.

Or you can, you know. go to the links in the 3rd birthday's wikipedia article that site the sources of these things.

Skilletor

Why do people think Nomura had anything to do with the characters other than designing them in FF games?

I mean, does he have anything to do with characters other than those games he produces? Aside from designing them, I mean.

zennyzz

Why do people think Nomura had anything to do with the characters other than designing them in FF games?

I mean, does he have anything to do with characters other than those games he produces? Aside from designing them, I mean.

What FF games are you referring to? I don't think anybody's cited his express contributions to any Final Fantasy games.

KH? There's a whale's load of information lending credence to his activism and input in those games, as well as the 3rd birthday

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, if this still ends up being a good game and Luna is a good character, what will happen to the Stella controversy thing? :p

zennyzz

Well if you want to get technical...

Joking aside, all three of them aren't as cool as Aqua, while Aqua herself has a few of their tropes that honestly make her as annoying as they are sometimes

Oh no, I think Aqua's fantastic. But I also consider Aqua to be KH's version of bottled lightning, not just in terms of original women, but most males as well.

This is insane to me. The level of extroplating going on in here. Not to single you out, but this one had a lot of pictures.

I mean, they're just pictures of girls. Getting all these character traits is crazy. On both sides really. We really don't know how either character will or would've been so why does it matter so much?

Not to mention it's literally like...TWO clips of Luna we've seen in total*. And these clips are almost definitely taken from a singular scene. We don't know the context of this scene at all. Luna has not uttered a single word since we've seen her. Square has not focused on her yet for their marketing of the game.

The extrapolation is indeed beyond ridiculous and absurd.

If I'm wrong on that exact number feel free to correct me, but I know we haven't seen more than a handful of shots of Luna in motion.

Chilikar

It's becoming clearer and clearer that a lot of stuff from E3 2013 has been dropped. That's the most frustrating part for me [...]
-Part of Nomura's feel/"esthetic" gone along with him.

Those changes are making me more and more nervous.

Fans have waited from 2006 to 2013. We were told the game had been rebooted, fine. That news came with a whole new set of promises, and a lot of them have already been broken. Can't blame people for being disappointed.

Wow your post really resonated with me when I read it, I couldn't have said the same thing any better than you have. This thread (in my opinion) really isn't fully about Stella's removal, it's about the fact that the game is becoming more and more deviant from Nomura's overall vision of the game. What's really scaring me is the fact that we don't know to what extent the game has changed from the FFVXIII days, and as each ATR comes by the game becomes increasingly more deviant. Just when does this deviation stop and at what point do these deviations make it a completely different game.

wmlk, you're completely right about the fact that the core of this game is still very strongly correlated with Nomura's vision (in terms of characters, themes, overall story, and aesthetics), but the removal of Stella and a playable party/invasion gave fans a wake up call. We finally realized that even though the core is the same, Hajime Tabata has complete reign over the game and isn't afraid to change it.

Now Reveirg's last point, the missing Nomura's feel/aesthetic is what truly makes me sad about this whole situation. When FFVXIII was announced, I was excited with the promise of Nomura's direction for a Character Action Final Fantasy game made by the Kingdom Hearts team. With the announcement of Nomura's departure in 2014, two thirds of those elements were gone, and I was left with the hope that Tabata would be as faithful to the vision as much as possible.

Now we know that Stella, the party/invasion, the battle system, the character swapping, and other things have been changed. We're all left wondering what's left of the original vision, and which parts of it does Tabata think is acceptable for changes? Even small details like the camera distance, camera angles in cutscenes, and pacing of battle have been changed from the E3 2013 trailer. This just really sinks in the fact that this is no longer the same game, and it makes me feel like my built up expectations from the original announcements have not been met.

Now all of the things I said above may sound negative, but I'm actually accepting of these changes and am still excited to purchase this game when it comes out. It still doesn't change the fact that I'm incredibly sad because the game I've been expecting all these 9 years will never come out, and I feel like some of the people in this thread shouldn't have to feel the need to try and put us down for it.

The truth of the matter is, these small changes are important to me not only because of the increasing prices of video games; but also because Nomura's Final Fantasy was what I thought would be my dream game. While I'm still going to buy FFXV, I wouldn't be willing to pay $79.99 CAD for it. If it was FFVXIII I would have purchased it in a heartbeat because I now realize that the 2011 trailer still makes me much more excited than any of the recent material I've experienced in FFXV.

Sorry for the long post.

EDIT:
I see lots of kids who played KH when they were very young... growing up in the shadow of Versus' development. They watched youtube trailers. Fell in love with the 30 seconds they saw on loop over and over again. And they studied who made these games and deified Nomura. And they committed to this game being immaculate, if only we would wait for its release.

This whole Tabata-taking the reigns thing is a rude awakening to the fantasy of an immaculate game design being passed down from a designer God who can do no wrong.

It reminds me of how us kids were raised to view George Lucas in the early 90s. A creative mastermind... Would that we would be allowed a piece of his next holy work.

You know what, I think that's exactly my problem. It's not that I dislike what Tabata's doing to the game, it's just that I wished it was Nomura's game still. I really do think of Nomura highly, and it's strange even to me but what's happening right now really does make me feel sad

Yeah, I will wait until we see more of Luna (and the game) before reaching conclusions.

The only thing I can say is that I loved every single thing about the demo and it is making me extremely excited for the full game.

Top Bottom