• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Director: “If it weren’t for Eve's [long ponytail] hairstyle, maybe the development period could have been shortened by about a year"

During an interview with Famitsu, director, Hyun-Tae Kim, recently shared some insights into how the team went about designing Eve, and what inspired their choices. As well as some of the difficulties they encountered along the way.

“A long ponytail was a big challenge.” He admits. Going on to explain getting the hair to bounce and sway in a way that looked natural and stable was one of the major difficulties in the development process. “If it weren’t for that hairstyle,” he joked, referencing Eve’s ponytail, “maybe the development period could have been shortened by about a year.”

Eve's hair physics:

The excessive long ponytail was there since the game's reveal tease.

00_poster_006_001_4k.png

The OG Blade and Soul (where Kim was the Art Director) also have similar hairstyle. , I'd say it is definitely a Hyun-Tae Kim thing and it's worth the extra developing time.

1391068254071_image_1975.jpg

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

I guess it’s just a joke. But if that detail alone actually took that much time to get right, they’ve been spending resources on the wrong things.
Good news is as long as they use the same engine, they can reuse the tech they mastered in future games.
Something similar happened with Disney's Tangled film. They spent a huge amount to get Rapunzel's hair right, but that tech gets reused in future films.

Robb

Gold Member
Good news is as long as they use the same engine, they can reuse the tech they mastered in future games.
Something similar happened with Disney's Tangled film. They spent a huge amount to get Rapunzel's hair right, but that tech gets reused in future films.
Sure, but I can understand how something like that was worth it for Disney who pump out several movies a year.

What can we expect of these guys? A new game in 4-5 years? If the studio is even still around by then.

cormack12

Gold Member
It says he's joking, so I'm guessing it took a few months. But honestly, if its having that effect on development times I really don't care.

Give her a faith from ME, or Tachys heair looks more complex tbh

I changed it to short ponytail almost immediately cause I don’t like anyone having hair down to their ass crack. I guess I’ll change it back to see the physics.

WitchHunter

Banned

I guess it’s just a joke. But if that detail alone actually took that much time to get right, they’ve been spending resources on the wrong things.
Remember MGS2. Kojima was talking about that they had difficulties about Snake's hair plus the rain in outside areas. That might've been true back then... IIRC that took 2 weeks time for the head programmer.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Took a while to grow eh?

I play with the shorter, ass view unobstructed pony tail.

skit_data

I must admit I loled a bit when I went to gameplay settings and it had like 3-4 settings, one of which was "Ponytail length". Maybe one of the people responsible for making sure it always behaved correct just begged for an option to completely get rid of it because he/she was so tired of always focusing on that particular part of the game. Like a personal vendetta against that ponytail, or something xD

Damigos

Worth it
Every asset of the game was worth it
The game has Nier Automata vibes, one of my favorite games ever, and judging from the demo its one of the gotys

mdkirby

Yeah I’m assuming it’s a joke. If not. Someone should probably be fired 🤣. There is zero chance that it is worth that.

Lol have you seen some of discourse about graphics here!?

If her hair looked unnatural or weird there would be a thread longer than the one for the demo!

I agree devs need to use there resources more wisely
/

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
If her hair looked unnatural or weird there would be a thread longer than the one for the demo
You’re probably right, but I don’t really think the devs care much about NeoGaf specifically.

And even so, if you had a poll here asking if they’d rather get more awesomely choreographed fights/greater enemy variety/etc. Vs. “a nice looking pony tail”, I’m fairly sure pony tail would lose.

Top Bottom