• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephanie Murphy (D-FL) Files Bill to Remove Bannon from National Security Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just wrote this one up for myself because I suck at phone calls. if anyone wants to iterate off of it, or steal from it, go ahead.

Hello,
My name is (name). I'm calling from (city, state). I'm calling to say that Steve Bannon is not qualified for a role on the National Security Council. He has no experience in intelligence or military matters and I feel less safe as a citizen knowing he has a role in decision-making on topics of national security. The failed raid in Yemen has already shown that the current administration needs to seek more extensive support from our intelligence community. His white supremacist background also makes me feel that his decisions will not be driven by concern for the welfare of American citizens, but instead by personal hatred. I'd also like to express my support for Representative Murphy's bill on the makeup of the National Security Council. The joint chiefs of staff and intelligence directors should be present at all NSC meetings.

Nice thanks. Yeah I am awful with phone calls but it's gotta be done, so having a good script to work off always helps.

Everyone please make this call - Bannon has no business serving in our government let along on the NSC.

Joeku

People keep saying stuff like this, but when's the last time Republican's have ever been taken to task for the shit they pull?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to do anything to them right now. It's just getting them on the record.

Soroc

At least one thing our state can be proud of (and me in particular since I helped get her elected), Stephanie Murphy has introduced a bill that would kick Steve Bannon off of the National Security Council:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...os-murphy-bannon-nsc-bill-20170201-story.html

Label me an enemy of the state if old.

Edit:

@AugstMcLaughlin
ACTION ALERT: The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is taking calls about Bannon's appointment to the NSC. You can call: 202-224-4751

C3r6KTsWYAE7sjU.jpg

Thank you!

Was busy on first attempt, 2nd attempt was able to leave the message. Keep trying if you get a busy signal.

Asking white supremacists to remove a fellow white supremacist sure is gonna go over well

there's basically 3 kinds of conservative politicians on racial issues in my experience:

genuinely-racist true believers
the ones for whom it's all marketing, who created this alt-right nightmare by going hard on various things for ages.
privileged people in bubbles who are kinda passively casually-racist without thinking about it.

we can hope to nudge some of category 3 towards eventually waking up, and to nudge some of the cynical exploitative ones towards seeing their favorite marketing strategy as outdated.

Tovarisc

Kinda encouraging that line is getting hammered. A lot of people want to have their voice heard on this.

Edit:
Is this for the whole country to call or just a single state?

afaik as long you are in US you can call and leave message

bionic77

Very interested to see how the R's act on this one.

For once please put your country first you spineless pieces of shit.

TylerD

Good. I called and left a message. Kind of hard not to go completely off script but I added that his views are a great threat to the well being of this country and many of it's citizens.

Called, left a message. Fingers crossed.
Edit: I just said something along the lines of me not believing that someone with ties to white supremacy will be able to carry out a job that involves ensuring the safety of all Americans, and that I feel as though his bias will affect his ability to perform his job to the standards the American people demand.

Kusagari

I want to see this happen because it would be very interesting to see R's have to vote one way or the other on Bannon.

I don't think saying he is a white supremacists/nationalist( even if he is) because the depart might just dismiss it has crazy talk and hyperbolic.

Explain why he views like:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/steve-bannon-fire-past-comments-islam/story?id=45193278

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...01b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.9d0e6c761e25

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...eve-bannons-words_us_588e0fe5e4b0cd25e49049f8

Can cause friction within the NSC, he lacks the experience and that he is more of an ideologue than a military or an intelligence official.

Anyone have a good statement for their call I can steal?

I'm working on something but it's basically going to state that I am deeply concerned about the removal of the Joint Chief of Staff and Intelligence Director in favor of a white supremacist itching to start wars we can't afford to fight. The failed raid in Yemen that killed 15 civilians and one of our own was a clear sign that Trump's team cannot be trusted to command our military without the involvement of proper intelligence and security officials.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the military/intelligence operations were heavily involved with said raid. Try again.

theWB27

I don't think saying he is a white supremacists/nationalist( even if he is) because the depart might just dismiss it has crazy talk and hyperbolic.

Explain why he views like:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/steve-bannon-fire-past-comments-islam/story?id=45193278

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...01b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.9d0e6c761e25

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...eve-bannons-words_us_588e0fe5e4b0cd25e49049f8

Can cause friction within the NSC, he lacks the experience and that he is more of an ideologue than a military or an intelligence official.

If whoever dismisses this it won't be because we point out the obvious

Just called and got through to the voicemail. This is very important for all of us who oppose Trump and Bannon to make our voices heard.

If whoever dismisses this it won't be because we point out the obvious

I say it can play a part. It be much more easy to dismiss something if there's perceived hyperbolic statements. You would want to put them in a spot were it would make them hard to dismiss it. Bring up his pass statements and current, some of his views, and sever lack of experience, I think can go a longer way. You can indirect state why his white nationalist views would get in the way of his decision-making without stating direct that he is a white supremacist and that's it, thus making him seem more of approving operations that is mostly for political or ideologue reasons.

Military and intelligence folks don't want a scandal because Steve Brannon was pushing hard for a operation that got highly-skilled people killed or pushing for actions for political points.

Even if they remove him I doubt it would change much as Trump and Bannon go back several years. As if they won't talk.

Kind of like when Manafort "left" the campaign but it turns out he was living in Trump Tower all the time.

They new to reinstate the Joint Chiefs of Staff and other IC members.

Shaanyboi

Banned
there's basically 3 kinds of conservative politicians on racial issues in my experience:

genuinely-racist true believers
the ones for whom it's all marketing, who created this alt-right nightmare by going hard on various things for ages.
privileged people in bubbles who are kinda passively casually-racist without thinking about it.

we can hope to nudge some of category 3 towards eventually waking up, and to nudge some of the cynical exploitative ones towards seeing their favorite marketing strategy as outdated.
That third category isn't budging for shit. Not while they're getting every single fucking thing they want. They've had no problems throwing marginalized people under the bus before, they sure as fuck aren't going to care now.

I'm on record as saying Bannon has to go. He's evil as fuck, and he's easily the msot dangerous person in America right now.

Glix

Left a voicemail. Told them my name and that i feel less safe and i am concerned he isnt qualified.

Slime

Banned
He's said some horrifying shit that should automatically disqualify him from any sort national security position, but I can't find the especially egregious examples I'm thinking of. Can someone post some of those? It would probably be useful to quote them in your calls.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the military/intelligence operations were heavily involved with said raid. Try again.

I thought the raid was planned over a dinner meeting involving Trump, Pence, Flynn, Kushner, and Bannon? Of course the JCS and intelligence community were involved but the order and planning was all Bannon and Co.

theWB27

I say it can play a part. It be much more easy to dismiss something if there's perceived hyperbolic statements. You would want to put them in a spot were it would make them hard to dismiss it. Bring up his pass statements and current, some of his views, and sever lack of experience, I think can go a longer way. You can indirect state why his white nationalist views would get in the way of his decision-making without stating direct that he is a white supremacist and that's it, thus making him seem more of approving operations that is mostly for political or ideologue reasons.

Military and intelligence folks don't want a scandal because Steve Brannon was pushing hard for a operation that got highly-skilled people killed or pushing for actions for political points.

I can dig it.

Aeana

I'm glad to hear it, but she is going to be bombarded with such insane hatred and harassment by the alt-right for this. Good luck. :( It's impossible to prepare yourself for this crap.

Glix

I'm glad to hear it, but she is going to be bombarded with such insane hatred and harassment by the alt-right for this. Good luck. :( It's impossible to prepare yourself for this crap.

I wish there was a way we could help protect/shield her. And the ex AG. We have to let the heroes who stand up to these bullies know they will be safe.

That third category isn't budging for shit. Not while they're getting every single fucking thing they want. They've had no problems throwing marginalized people under the bus before, they sure as fuck aren't going to care now.

yeah tbh when i said "eventually" i was imagining like, generation-over-generation, not anything practical and near-future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom