• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Elop to become new lead of MS' devices division, including Xbox.

The Flash

Banned
Well this guy isn't going to be the day-to-day Xbox guy especially since Xbox is probably still it's own subdivision. That begs the question of who will be in charge of Xbox and report to Elop.

Ushae

Banned
Xbox One should easily be more profitable than the 360. From that standpoint the Xbox One cant fail.

I think at $500/£429 X1 is making a profit from day 1 (a reverse of the situation with 360). It's a little bold to simply state the console will be a great success, while I agree it will turn a profit there are still a lot of negative PR plaguing the system, no thanks to the PR blunders.

Can X1 become more successful than 360? Absolutely, but MS needs to play all of its cards right after launching this thing.

Lynn616

I think at $500/£429 X1 is making a profit from day 1 (a reverse of the situation with 360). It's a little bold to simply state the console will be a great success, while I agree it will turn a profit there are still a lot of negative PR plaguing the system, no thanks to the PR blunders.

Can X1 become more successful than 360? Absolutely, but MS needs to play all of its cards right after launching this thing.

Not talking about units sold. I dont think the X1 has any chance of selling more units than the 360. I am talking about making more profit for MS. That should be easy since the 360 had to crawl out of billions in the red before it finally started turning profit a few years ago.

Guevara

Not talking about units sold. I dont think the X1 has any chance of selling more units than the 360. I am talking about making more profit for MS. That should be easy since the 360 had to crawl out of billions in the red before it finally started turning profit a few years ago.

Xbox One will almost certainly be profitable, the problem is it simply won't bring in a billion in its first 12 months and $100 million in profit is just a rounding error to a company Microsoft's size. It just isn't big enough to be material.

Some investors rightly see consumer devices as a distraction with little upside but a huge potential downside (Surface, Xbox 360 write-downs for instance). Basically they want MS to focus on the $1B+ businesses.

Proelite

Xbox One will almost certainly be profitable, the problem is it simply won't bring in a billion in its first 12 months and $100 million in profit is just a rounding error to a company Microsoft's size. It just isn't big enough to be material.

Some investors rightly see consumer devices as a distraction with little upside but a huge potential downside (Surface, Xbox 360 write-downs for instance). Basically they want MS to focus on the $1B+ businesses.

That's why Ballmer consolidated the several hardware divisions into one. It's sink or swim for the entire ecosystem. Great move to counter the investors who wants to target each venture alone with their complains.

Doffen

I have always found this funny.

"Elop didn't start the Nokia spiral! He just failed to correct it or slow it at all!"

Congrats I guess?

Business is never black and white. It's better to lose 100K than 1M, right? So yeah good for him for not loosing more.

Windows Phone has been, at worst, mildly successful.

Running the most expensive mobile ad campaign ever and turning a 5% global smartphone marketshare in 2010 into a 4% global marketshare today?

I would say that that is worse than "mildly successful". Come the fuck on.

This decision also locks the next CEO firmly into the "devices and services" strategy that so many shareholders are questioining, that any chance of an external appointment seems to have evaporated, and mini-ballmer Elop seems a lock in.

This guy is going to be the CEO of Microsoft. He is a great public speaker and has tons of experience in both business/enterprise and consumer/mobile markets. Elop is masterful in interviews, one of the most well-spoken CEO's I've heard.

Microsoft now has its own manufacturing plants for Xbox and some of the best hardware designers in the world. The 41 MP camera this team created for smartphones is incredibly innovative. Their phones have super sensitive touch screens that works with gloves on and clear black filter that makes a smartphone easy to read outdoors, even at the beach. This is an innovative hardware team. And their software teams have created some of the best mobile apps on the platform like Nokia Music, Here Navigation, City Lens augmented reality maps, and Pro Camera apps.

Also when you look at the quality of the Lumia phones and the acceleration of sales doubling year over year to 8 million a quarter, it is clear Nokia was on a very positive trajectory in most regions of the world. Windows Phone now has 8.5% market share in Europe vs. only 3.5% in the US were Nokia's brand is weakest and Apple is strongest. They're on the verge of outselling iPhone in numerous territories like Germany. They're already outselling Blackberry in 34 countries now. With BlackBerry collapsing Windows Phone is an uncontested 3rd place right now in smartphones. Apple is stuck on this extremely slow once a year upgrade cycle which is causing them to lose market share every year outside of the US; leaving Android and Windows as the only two platforms growing share each year.

Dragon

Banned
This guy is going to be the CEO of Microsoft. He is a great public speaker and has tons of experience in both business/enterprise and consumer/mobile markets. Elop is masterful in interviews, one of the most well-spoken CEO's I've heard.

Microsoft now has its own manufacturing plants for Xbox and some of the best hardware designers in the world. The 41 MP camera this team created for smartphones is incredibly innovative. Their phones have super sensitive touch screens that works with gloves on and clear black filter that makes a smartphone easy to read outdoors, even at the beach. This is an innovative hardware team. And their software teams have created some of the best mobile apps on the platform like Nokia Music, Here Navigation, City Lens augmented reality maps, and Pro Camera apps.

Also when you look at the quality of the Lumia phones and the acceleration of sales doubling year over year to 8 million a quarter, it is clear Nokia was on a very positive trajectory in most regions of the world. Windows Phone now has 8.5% market share in Europe vs. only 3.5% in the US were Nokia's brand is weakest and Apple is strongest. They're on the verge of outselling iPhone in numerous territories like Germany. They're already outselling Blackberry in 34 countries now.

Outselling Blackberry is like outselling WebOS enabled phones.

SPDIF

Central? On the contrary. It used to have its own division, now it shares a division with recently purchased Nokia and a floundering Windows Phone platform. The head of the Xbox division used to just worry about Xbox and knew a thing or two about games even if it wasn't a lot. Now it's the CEO of a phone company who will mostly be preoccupied with phones while having this annoying video game console to worry about as well.

It's never had its own division. I don't know about the original Xbox, but the since the 360 in 2005 the Xbox business has been sharing the Entertainment and Devices Division with Zune, and more recently Windows Phone and Skype. Did it matter in 2006 or 2007? I'm guessing you'd say no, so why do you think it matters now?

It also may surprise you to discover that Mattrick never only had to worry about the Xbox business. As head of the whole division he had to worry about everything in it.

There needs to be a person with a gaming industry background to lead the xbox side of this division.

It's funny that that's exactly what Mattrick was. You could argue he had more of a gaming background than any other executive at Sony or Nintendo (apart from the obvious people), yet people didn't like him and were happy when he left.

How long until ValueAct wants them to dump this division? Seems like MS made the deal just before they could get a board seat.

Something's up at Microsoft.

ValueAct has been neutered according to the agreement announced on Friday. As part of the deal of having a board seat they have legally agreed they can never publicly speak out against the company, criticize the CEO, or wage any kind of a proxy battle against the board.

They don't need to wage a proxy battle - they are on the board.

I don't see how being on the board but not being allowed to call Ballmer a retarded monkeyman publically in any way neuters them. they are on the board and have actual decision making power.

Basically they can't do anything to rally support outside of the board room, get new board members nominated. Inside the board room, Gates, Ballmer, and Thompson are going to call the shots.

tensuke

Nokia was on the way down already but Elop was the trojan horse from MS getting it ready to be swallowed up. They totally ditched what made them great, high-tech smartphones running Linux...Nokia just never caught up with the others in terms of phone tech, they ditched Maemo and Meego (stupid), and they announced the death of Symbian while moving to WP. It's not entirely his fault, but, if there's one CEO I absolutely cannot stand, it's Elop. I can't see him doing anything good for Xbox.

ValueAct has been neutered according to the agreement announced on Friday. As part of the deal of having a board seat they have legally agreed they can never publicly speak out against the company, criticize the CEO, or wage any kind of a proxy battle against the board.

They don't need to wage a proxy battle - they are on the board.

I don't see how being on the board but not being allowed to call Ballmer a retarded monkeyman publically in any way neuters them. they are on the board and have actual decision making power.

boingball

I am waiting for Elop's letter to announce that Xbox is a burning platform and they have to jump into the stormy sea. Cancels Xbox One and goes all out on Mobile games with Xbox division.

(P.S. In the long term that strategy would actually win out, I think in 10 years or so, "console" gaming will be smartphones connected to a TV and controller).

lantus

How much and in what way he influences the games division has yet to be determined. I'm sure he'll have most of his subordinates taking a lot of control. I doubt he'll make as big of a difference as say Kaz, who started in the games division and worked his way up. Which I think was a brilliant move to bring their best brand back to the sort of relevance they had in the PS1/PS2 days.

Elop is not going to work on Xbox. Do you understand how much of a demotion that would be to go from running the largest mobile phone manufacturer and mapping company in the world to running a video game console business? This guy was also responsible for running MS Office, the most profitable division at Microsoft. He has not been demoted to Xbox. The position he is holding on the devices team is probably a temporary transition to becoming CEO as he integrates the Nokia team into Microsoft. Julie Larson Green will probably get her job back by 2014.

The fact that you think this guy is going to be wasted on managing Xbox day to day is hysterical.

Marc Whitten or Phil Spencer will probably take over the Xbox team eventually.

And holy shit if MS makes this guy their CEO. Surely there is tons of better choices.

He ran the business division at MS which is now by far their most profitable. He was directly responsible for MS Office and Dynamics.

How are there tons of better choices? He has CEO level experience in both the mobile device industry and the business/enterprise industry. He has already been the CEO of 32,000 employees that just joined Microsoft including the entire Nokia hardware management team.

ElFly

This means there will be a successor to the Xbox One.

And with luck it will be more powerful than the Xbox One.

The Xbox PhOne. Coming 2020.

Rad-

Here in Finland the word is that Nokia was really close to switching to Android and that's why MS bought them now.

And holy shit if MS makes this guy their CEO. Surely there is tons of better choices.

Guevara

That doesn't matter at all. ValueAct got what they wanted. Now they can try and convince the other board members in private, rather than agitating from the outside.

They want a few things:
  • Increase share price through a stock buyback or other
  • Increase dividend
  • Sell off non-core divisions (like Xbox...maybe)

Inside the board room, Gates, Ballmer, and Thompson are going to call the shots.

No, the majority vote calls the shots. Gates Ballmer and Thompson do not have veto power, nor do they have a majority vote alone.

EDIT:
Here in Finland the word is that Nokia was really close to switching to Android and that's why MS bought them now.

I would say that as the "devices and services" mantra is clearly Ballmers baby, if it didn't happen now (and force the next CEO to #dealwithit) it might not have happened at all

weevles

So they didn't trust Julie to run Xbox?

But I can see why Elop is in. MS's fortunes are now tied into hardware as much as software with their huge investments in mobile phone and the Xbox brand. Elop has experience with the former and MS certainly needs some smooth talkers after the big communications breakdowns this year.

That doesn't matter at all. ValueAct got what they wanted. Now they can try and convince the other board members in private, rather than agitating from the outside.

They want a few things:
  • Increase share price through a stock buyback or other
  • Increase dividend
  • Sell off non-core divisions (like Xbox...maybe)

The board is going to support Gates though, the founder and chairman. The decision to buy Nokia's hardware business including manufacturing means there is no chance of selling Xbox.

There is potential to split Microsoft into two companies "Microsoft Services" & "Microsoft Devices" but that's it.

Even that then becomes complicated when you try to figure out where Windows goes in that equation as none of the hardware teams can accomplish anything without Windows and Windows would be the only "service" that doesn't run on other platforms.

Windows and Xbox/Surface/Lumia would probably all go together in Microsoft Devices. Office, Azure, Bing, Skype and enterprise technologies in the other Microsoft. You could get two Microsoft's, but you will not see Xbox sold off.

Basically you would have a Microsoft Devices that mimics Apple's business right down to the retail stores and a Microsoft Services that competes directly with Google's services. Two Microsoft's: One dedicated to challenging Apple, the other dedicated to challenging Google.

jcm

Tomi Ahonen, a former Nokia employee, at http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/

That guy writes like a crazy stalker ex-girlfriend. A relentlessly self-promoting crazy stalker ex-girlfriend, at that.

I think this is where someone like ValueAct is completely off. Not sure how they can think that Xbox is not a core division for Microsoft.

Maybe they looked at this chart.
chart-of-the-day-microsoft-income-by-segment-oct-2012.jpg

I think this is where someone like ValueAct is completely off. Not sure how they can think that Xbox is not a core division for Microsoft.

Because compared to Microsofts other divisions such as Office or Corporate software, Xbox is literally nothing. Look at the revenues brought in by Xbox compared to Office.

Edit - beaten, but seriously, look at that chart and tell me that Xbox is even slightly significant to Microsoft. A lot of shareholders believe that the focus on consumer devices is the reason their stock has been so stagnant.

rothbart

So over the past four months, there have literally been four people announced to have been "in charge" of the Xbox division at Microsoft. Don Mattrick, who then resigned, leaving Steve Ballmer (for a short period), who announced Julie Larson as the head of the new Devices and Services division that includes Xbox, and now after an equally short period, Stephen Elop is announced as the new new head of the division.

Posts like this... containing factual events... can easily come off as Microsoft bashing or XBOne bashing, but it's really something that should affect the confidence ANYONE has in what's going on over at Microsoft. November is here in under TWO MONTHS... and this system launches in under three months.

Steve Ballmer: Don's in charge of Xbox... everything's going great!
Don Mattrick: nope, I quit. I GOT ZYNGA MONEY BITCHES!!!
Steve Ballmer: Fine, I'll be in charge of Xbox. How hard can this be? Wait, no, this isn't going to work... let's see... ladies and gentlemen... I'm now happy to announce Julie Larson will be in charge of Xbox.
Julie Larson: Oh wow, I'm so excited and humbled to be chosen...
Steve Ballmer: Just kidding, You had over six weeks to turn things around and didn't. You're out. Stephen Elop's going to be in charge of Xbox because we bought his company's mobile division for $7.18B and your title.
Julie Larson: But six weeks is hardly enough time to...
Steve Ballmer: Sorry Julie, you report to Stephen now. I've made my decision and if there's one thing we ALL know, decisions made at Microsoft are final!

A question: the new smartphone that will produce MS... what name they will have? The brand "NOKIA" can be used or there will be "Microsoft" logo?

Thanks!

Guevara

A question: the new smartphone that will produce MS... what name they will have? The brand "NOKIA" can be used or there will be "Microsoft" logo?

Thanks!

Superficially I think they'll want the hardware to be Nokia but the software to be MS. At least initially. Because they still claim to be trying to license W8 to other device makers.

jcm

Thanks!

They can't use Nokia.

The Nokia brand name, one of the most storied marks in mobile, will never grace another smartphone.

Under the terms of Microsoft's $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's devices and services division, the "Asha" and "Lumia" trademarks will transfer to Redmond, but the "Nokia" mark will remain property of the Finnish company, and may only be used on featurephones running the basic Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems under a 10-year license agreement. (Nokia itself is barred from using the Nokia brand on any mobile devices at all until December 31st, 2015.) That means any future Windows Phones built by the newest division of Microsoft will be Microsoft-branded — and that Nokia has said its goodbyes to a smartphone market it once helped to create.

They can't use Nokia.

The Nokia brand name, one of the most storied marks in mobile, will never grace another smartphone.

Under the terms of Microsoft's $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's devices and services division, the "Asha" and "Lumia" trademarks will transfer to Redmond, but the "Nokia" mark will remain property of the Finnish company, and may only be used on featurephones running the basic Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems under a 10-year license agreement. (Nokia itself is barred from using the Nokia brand on any mobile devices at all until December 31st, 2015.) That means any future Windows Phones built by the newest division of Microsoft will be Microsoft-branded — and that Nokia has said its goodbyes to a smartphone market it once helped to create.

Thanks! :)

Addio NOKIA :(

So over the past four months, there have literally been four people announced to have been "in charge" of the Xbox division at Microsoft. Don Mattrick, who then resigned, leaving Steve Ballmer (for a short period), who announced Julie Larson as the head of the new Devices and Services division that includes Xbox, and now after an equally short period, Stephen Elop is announced as the new new head of the division.

Posts like this... containing factual events... can easily come off as Microsoft bashing or XBOne bashing, but it's really something that should affect the confidence ANYONE has in what's going on over at Microsoft. November is here in under TWO MONTHS... and this system launches in under three months.

Steve Ballmer: Don's in charge of Xbox... everything's going great!
Don Mattrick: nope, I quit. I GOT ZYNGA MONEY BITCHES!!!
Steve Ballmer: Fine, I'll be in charge of Xbox. How hard can this be? Wait, no, this isn't going to work... let's see... ladies and gentlemen... I'm now happy to announce Julie Larson will be in charge of Xbox.
Julie Larson: Oh wow, I'm so excited and humbled to be chosen...
Steve Ballmer: Just kidding, You had over six weeks to turn things around and didn't. You're out. Stephen Elop's going to be in charge of Xbox because we bought his company's mobile division for $7.18B and your title.
Julie Larson: But six weeks is hardly enough time to...
Steve Ballmer: Sorry Julie, you report to Stephen now. I've made my decision and if there's one thing we ALL know, decisions made at Microsoft are final!

Oh please. We knew months in advance of Matrick leaving that Microsoft was looking to reorg its business. We learned that they would reveal that change come july before Matrick even announced he was going to leave.

Because Matrick up and left so close to the Reorg, Steve Ballmer and the Board of Directors decided to have Ballmer direct the E&D division for a week until they announced the reorg. No matter what, they needed to announce a new head for the division or else you basically lose a week of work due to confusion within the company and stockholders get pissed for no strategy.

Then comes the reorg where Ballmer announces the new strategy and divisions. From there he redoes the entire company and gives the Devices division their head because Balmer no longer needs to babysit the E&D with the reorg out. Then the deal with Nokia is finalized. So Ballmer and the board decide to put the person with tons of experience in the field in charge of the Devices division, as any good group of leaders would.

There is literally nothing shady about it. There is literally no backpedaling. This is them making decisions and taking action as the opportunities arise like every single fucking company does.

Elop running the Xbox division is terrible news. He's really fucked over Nokia the last few years, terrible decisions after terrible decisions.

RIP in peace Xbox.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for the next Bosman BOTB skit.

Game Guru

Thanks!

If Microsoft is smart, the smartphone will just have the Asha and Lumia brandings should they not be able to use the Nokia name. After all, there are very few times, at least with the successful Xbox line's branding, that Microsoft's branding is used. Asha and Lumia should be the brands, only that Microsoft makes them and that it uses Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS.

tfur

There is literally nothing shady about it. There is literally no backpedaling. This is them making decisions and taking action as the opportunities arise like every single fucking company does.

This is them in disarray. Seriously, you cannot spin this. It may end up great and wonderful, but it is the definition of disarray and shambles.

This is what you see when directors and managers have no confidence.

For reference, please see: Zune, Kin, Surface RT, Windows Phone, Windows 8, write downs, etc... and now the Xbox delirium. It's a hot mess.

rothbart

I'm sure Julie Larson think's it's just peachy! Two steps forward, one step back.

I get that people quit and reorgs happen and Ballmer in charge of the Xbox division was always a stopgap. That said, I still stand by four people in charge of the division in less than four months. Why announce Julie Larson is taking it over to announce six weeks later that she's going to now report to the NEW guy heading that division?

Had Microsoft been delivering a smart, focused, constant message with the Xbox One this whole time, it would be a non issue... a company with plans and contingencies in place to weather things like unexpected departures of key staff. We aren't in that reality though, we're in the clusterfuck pre-launch period where they've cycled through four leaders in fewer months... UNLIKE (as you so eloquently put it) "every single fucking company does". So yeah, I think it's worth noting.

This is them in disarray. Seriously, you cannot spin this. It may end up great and wonderful, but it is the definition of disarray and shambles.

This is what you see when directors and managers have no confidence.

For reference, please see: Zune, Kin, Surface RT, Windows Phone, Windows 8, write downs, etc... and now the Xbox delirium. It's a hot mess.
Its not Disarray. This is literally them making decisions based on new information and assets they have access to.

If you were a company and you had chosen putting a non-hardware leader into a hardware division based on previous assets. And then you find out after the fact that a top hardware company has accepted your purchase offer. You would be bloody nuts to not put the hardware companies CEO in charge of your new hardware division If only for experience alone. Also keep in mind that the Reorg hasn't even started yet. Xbox is still currently being run by Steven Ballmer until the Xbox One Launches, at which point the software, servers and hardware teams get split up into their new respective groups at the company. Windows Phone wont be entering into the new groups until they finish WP Blue, and Windows 8 wont be entering their new division until 8.1.

To repeat. Julie Larson Green wouldn't have been in charge of Xbox until Xbox One shipped. Until then, its still being run by Ballmer. Thats how it was explained in the Memo he put out. All of this is just shuffling the cards of changes which have yet to take effect.

I'm sure Julie Larson think's it's just peachy! Two steps forward, one step back.

I get that people quit and reorgs happen and Ballmer in charge of the Xbox division was always a stopgap. That said, I still stand by four people in charge of the division in less than four months. Why announce Julie Larson is taking it over to announce six weeks later that she's going to now report to the NEW guy heading that division?

Had Microsoft been delivering a smart, focused, constant message with the Xbox One this whole time, it would be a non issue... a company with plans and contingencies in place to weather things like unexpected departures of key staff. We aren't in that reality though, we're in the clusterfuck pre-launch period where they've cycled through four leaders in fewer months... UNLIKE (as you so eloquently put it) "every single fucking company does". So yeah, I think it's worth noting.
Because Microsoft didn't know if Nokia was going to accept the purchase offer. They needed to announce a new head for the division or else stockholders would have been furious and consumers wary. They didn't want to wait for Nokia to decide to accept the offer either because if Nokia turned it down, like they did before earlier this year, Microsoft would have been waiting for nothing.

jcm

Sure, every company turns over the head of a division 2 or 3 times in the months before an incredibly important, once-every-five-years platform refresh. And anyway, the rollout has been perfectly smooth. Nothing to see here, just business as usual

Guevara

tfur

. Stuff.. .

Yeah, it really is disarray. Again, this is not normal, and neither does it show signs of health.

Be clear, Nokia without the Microsoft buyout was destined to fail. They had regularly been taking half a billion dollar investments from MS to stay afloat.

Microsoft had to do this, otherwise if Nokia went bankrupt, there would essentially be NO windows phone makers. Microsoft has no choice but to buy Nokia to try to catch up. Microsofts mobile and tablet space is a mess, and they are fighting for relevance in this space. These are Ballmers' death throws.

Zynx

Not being emotionally or otherwise invested, I'm very interested to see how good of a leader he'll be in his new position.

Top Bottom