• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise talking War of the Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

They did a big interview @ign with Tom and Steven about War of the Worlds.

Alot of interesting info.

Here's a bit:

Q: Aliens practical or CG?

SPIELBERG: That's the only secret I'm going to give you, because you know what?

CRUISE: I was shocked that you said that!

SPIELBERG: I know
CRUISE: I was shocked. I went, 'He just said that!' You and I had a conversation. You said, 'Don't say anything! Are you going to say anything to anyone? No, but you tell me if you're going to say anything to anyone. I'll tell you if I'm going to say something to someone.'

SPIELBERG: You know what? We have so many surprises in this movie that that is just assumed. I've read on the Internet that everybody assumes there'll be tripods anyway. There's not one message that assumes we'll be doing George Powell's boomerangs with the green lights on both wingtips, you know? There's not been one mention that maybe there'll be flying saucers. Absolutely I wouldn't do that, because that's one of my homages, certainly my respect to the forward-thinking H.G. Wells.

Full interview.

If old, am sorry.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wow... just wow... I can't wait to see their take on the machines after reading that interview.... fans of the book are gonna f'n ecstatic from the looks of it. As a fan of the book and the Powell movie I'm equally hyped.

I think setting in a more modern setting will allow audiences to more easily connect with what happens to the family... not to say doing it in the late 1800's would make for a bad film, but it would come with a bit less of a connection to the characters.

That said, it's a great interview - I'm excited about this film.

~Cris

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Steven Spielberg said:
The film is ultra-realistic, as ultra-realistic as I've ever attempted to make a movie, in terms of its documentary style.

Hm. More documentary style than Saving Private Ryan and Schindlers list?

A few things strike me when reading this interview:
1) Spielberg really is a genius when it comes to movies.
2) I'm surprised at the reverence he gives Independence Day. It would seem his biggest fear with this film is that it gets mistaken for the Will Smith action classic.
3) This is going to kick serious ass.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
:lol

haha, I know, but like it or not, Independence Day was a box office smash and arguably one of the best popcorn action flicks to come out in the 90's.

I also wanted to show this, cuz its awesome.

war-of-the-worlds-20050211033407736.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom