• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

TSLA is going to take a fall when earnings is released. How far it falls is the question of the moment. I'm still looking for a good point to increase my stake.

NVDA is getting crushed by the classic selling on good news, which is a good thing if you're still looking to buy in. The last time it dropped to the $100 range before resuming an upward climb so look for the bottom and get ready to pull the trigger.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am looking for investing in Gold. Is that a good idea? And also can someone name me few gold related etf that i should be looking into?

Morts

So a few years ago I inherited some stock and I've mostly just ignored it while it reinvests dividends. It's all a single company's stock. I just now set up a login to access the shares online and I see it's divided into two Share Types: 'Book' and 'Plan Holdings'. 'Book' seems to be the shares I originally inherited, why are the dividend shares listed separately?

Bit of an overreaction on my insurance stock. Bad year, but mostly due to one time things. Underlying results are good, dividend will go up. Bought a bit more during the dip today.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Tesla dropped 2.7%, I am still debating whether I should hold or sell then buy back after earning in this situation.

BeforeU

Tesla dropped 2.7%, I am still debating whether I should hold or sell then buy back after earning in this situation.

You mean it fell almost 4% and 0.60% after hours.

Honestly, I feel like this is all staged. There is absolutely no reason for Tesla to climb that high. I just don't understand what changed from Jan to Today for this type of hike. Can you point me to a specific news event? I think this is all insiders hiking up the price and doing some shaddy shit. They have sold less car in their entire existence than Ford sells in 1 quarter and yet its worth as much as Ford. I mean why? oh but the giga factory. But you know what, they still haven't proved their mass market production. They can't build a reliable car with small scale production

Oh but the electric cars are the future and Tesla 3 will be huge. Well yeah, sure. But that's like saying only Tesla's electric car will sell and not their competitors. I seriously think Chevy Bolt EV will do much better than Model 3. So I don't even get the Model 3 hype.

Again I am not saying Tesla is a bad company or a bad buy, I can see it being double in 5-10 years if they become major energy company. But there is no justification of this recent surge.

Kraft Heinz wants to take over Unilever. Almost +10% now, people buying in large. 30% of my portfolio is in that stock. This is going to be interesting...

Damn I thought only Nestle or P&G would be big enough to potentially takeover Unilever.

If it happens, Heinz/Kraft is going to need a ton of debt to finance it. Buffett/Berkshire are probably in on this action.

Bid was rejected it seems. I might regret this, but I sold already. It passed my initial target of 41 that I had in mind. Couldn't say no to this rise and pocket a months salary on it. Getting back in if it goes down again since it's a nice dividend stock.

BeforeU

EA just dropped 10% on extended hours. Why? There is no news on Google finance or Yahoo finance.

FinKL

Honestly, I feel like this is all staged. There is absolutely no reason for Tesla to climb that high. I just don't understand what changed from Jan to Today for this type of hike. Can you point me to a specific news event? I think this is all insiders hiking up the price and doing some shaddy shit. They have sold less car in their entire existence than Ford sells in 1 quarter and yet its worth as much as Ford. I mean why? oh but the giga factory. But you know what, they still haven't proved their mass market production. They can't build a reliable car with small scale production

Oh but the electric cars are the future and Tesla 3 will be huge. Well yeah, sure. But that's like saying only Tesla's electric car will sell and not their competitors. I seriously think Chevy Bolt EV will do much better than Model 3. So I don't even get the Model 3 hype.

Again I am not saying Tesla is a bad company or a bad buy, I can see it being double in 5-10 years if they become major energy company. But there is no justification of this recent surge.

Agreed, I feel like MM started speculating that Elon->Thiel->Trump connection would of been beneficial to Tesla once Trump was elected and ever since then it took off. I was eyeing at 180 that it would drop to 150 then I'd get in (like last year), but that never happened lol.

Kraft Heinz backs out of Unilever deal after the rejection now. Wonder how the stock will move tomorrow. Sold last week (bit too early it seems, since it went up another few percent).

Kind of glad actually, hope Unilever doesn't merge with another firm, I think they can do well enough on their own.

Markets are closed tomorrow.

I'm kicking myself because I was going to buy TMUS before earnings and then didn't pull the trigger. It popped more than 5% mid-Friday when Softbank announced they wanted to sell Sprint to anyone who would take it off their hands *nudge nudge* T-Mobile

Hey gaf, I got $10K!

I know this question get asked a lot, I found a thread of someone asking same thing, but a year ago. I'm assuming things in investment change a lot and my situation is a bit different, like, I'm not a US citizen. I asked on reddit but got no replies. Thought I would try asking here:

I have been looking into investing some of my money in the stock market instead of having it sit in the bank, (if you think there is a better way to invest plz do share). I did invest in stocks before. Bought into few IPOs and made some money. Lost some too.
Im looking for something more short term (1-5 years) now though. I have $10,000 to start with.

I live in Saudi Arabia and make $66,000 a year. I have another $30,000 saved up other than the amount I want to invest. I can handle losses easily as i have minimum expenses and can save half of my salary. I have no debts and I'm not in a relationship or have to support others.

Now I have created an account with SAXO and all is left I guess is to transfer my money and pick the stocks to get. Any suggestions on what to get or how to decide which stocks to buy is greatly appreciated.

I was considering starting my portfolio with mix bag of Apple, Amazon, Tesla ... or something along those lines. But maybe that is not a good idea since they're all in the technology sector (?). I'm really not sure how to decide, I'm basically going off by how I perceive these companies to be doing based on news.

tokkun

Hey gaf, I got $10K!

I know this question get asked a lot, I found a thread of someone asking same thing, but a year ago. I'm assuming things in investment change a lot and my situation is a bit different, like, I'm not a US citizen. I asked on reddit but got no replies. Thought I would try asking here:

I have been looking into investing some of my money in the stock market instead of having it sit in the bank, (if you think there is a better way to invest plz do share). I did invest in stocks before. Bought into few IPOs and made some money. Lost some too.
Im looking for something more short term (1-5 years) now though. I have $10,000 to start with.

I live in Saudi Arabia and make $66,000 a year. I have another $30,000 saved up other than the amount I want to invest. I can handle losses easily as i have minimum expenses and can save half of my salary. I have no debts and I'm not in a relationship or have to support others.

Now I have created an account with SAXO and all is left I guess is to transfer my money and pick the stocks to get. Any suggestions on what to get or how to decide which stocks to buy is greatly appreciated.

I was considering starting my portfolio with mix bag of Apple, Amazon, Tesla ... or something along those lines. But maybe that is not a good idea since they're all in the technology sector (?). I'm really not sure how to decide, I'm basically going off by how I perceive these companies to be doing based on news.

Some investing advice doesn't change. Trading individual stocks is for people who are looking for a hobby. If you just want to invest, buy a broadly-diversified stock fund with low fees, and hold it indefinitely. It requires far less effort, and you get better risk-adjusted returns.

When you are investing internationally, you also need to be aware of two things:

1. Currency risk - this is the additional risk you are exposed to due to changes in exchange rates. As an example, the USD is pretty strong right now, relative to recent history. If it were to weaken to the historical mean, all of your US investments held in USD will lose value. You can deal with this by either buying currency-hedged funds (however this requires that they are available for your country and they generally cost more) or by investing in stocks in many countries (although this doesn't protect you against strengthening of your home currency).
2. Tax efficiency - when you are buying assets in another country, you need to be careful that you don't end up paying more taxes than necessary. The details of this will vary country to country, so it's up to you to do some research.

Hey gaf, I got $10K!

Do you want to actively invest, or just have your money grow on the stock market? If the latter, look into a few ETFs. You can probably buy it through your local stock market and invest in some S&P 500, Total World, Eurostock, etc, indexes.Easy way to have your money follow the market without any effort and less risky then individual stocks.

Like you said, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Tech stock can be risky. Don't forget to look at other sectors. They might not make flashy headlines like Apple and Tesla does, but there is a lot of money there. Automotive (German car makers), consumer goods (super markets and production), resources (steel, silver, etc), finance.

Don't forget the transaction fees and currency. Buying in dollar and euro might be more expensive for you, and your bank might even add more to the fees for it.

If you can save 30.000 a year like you say, I'd avoid the risky stocks and find some ETFs, high dividend stocks and a bit of play money to buy and sell following the trends.

Maybesew

Markets are closed tomorrow.

I'm kicking myself because I was going to buy TMUS before earnings and then didn't pull the trigger. It popped more than 5% mid-Friday when Softbank announced they wanted to sell Sprint to anyone who would take it off their hands *nudge nudge* T-Mobile

Futures market is open. stocks are up a tiny bit as of now, 4 points S&P, 41 dow

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Don't forget the Trump hype since the CEO has direct access to the president. A lot of people are buying Tesla stock because they want to support the company, not because they think Tesla will make them a lot of money, it is kind of like Kickstarter.

I sold my TSLA position today after the rebound. I wanted to hold it for long to save on taxes, but I am betting on overreaction tomorrow. If price drop by more than 5% after earning I'll buy back in.

Now the only non-ETF I am holding is ANF and Capcom. Let's hope they are as sweet as tsla.

Hopefully TSLA takes a dive tomorrow, I've been meaning to pick up some more ahead of the Model 3 launch.

I think a lot of investor sentiment will ride on how the SolarCity balance sheets are looking. If they are looking more positive, TSLA might actually pop especially if the car business is making positive cash flow.

For someone who is new to trading and wants to learn the ropes (including simulation hopefully) where would you guys recommend opening a brokerage account at? I need a no minimum, no fees account. Most places I look are pointing to Ameritrade or OptionsHouse/Etrade.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Very likely that TSLA will drop regardless of what they announce. Can't really rise more.

I have this weird idea of not selling because I'm down 38% on it because they're former SCTY shares, but I could actually get a tax credit from the sale and buy back after a drop. Still have a chance to sell tomorrow before the close.

FinKL

For someone who is new to trading and wants to learn the ropes (including simulation hopefully) where would you guys recommend opening a brokerage account at? I need a no minimum, no fees account. Most places I look are pointing to Ameritrade or OptionsHouse/Etrade.
I know this is the most basic and probably looked down upon, but Robinhood on mobile has no minimum and fees. You just can't buy/sell more than 4 times a week, because that will mark you as a pattern day trader. I started with $10 for a few months then $100, then $1000 just to make sure I understood how everything worked. There's no simulation though

Do you want to actively invest, or just have your money grow on the stock market? If the latter, look into a few ETFs. You can probably buy it through your local stock market and invest in some S&P 500, Total World, Eurostock, etc, indexes.Easy way to have your money follow the market without any effort and less risky then individual stocks.

Like you said, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Tech stock can be risky. Don't forget to look at other sectors. They might not make flashy headlines like Apple and Tesla does, but there is a lot of money there. Automotive (German car makers), consumer goods (super markets and production), resources (steel, silver, etc), finance.

Don't forget the transaction fees and currency. Buying in dollar and euro might be more expensive for you, and your bank might even add more to the fees for it.

If you can save 30.000 a year like you say, I'd avoid the risky stocks and find some ETFs, high dividend stocks and a bit of play money to buy and sell following the trends.
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I read around the internet and I think ETFs is what I should go for for the type of investment I want.

Also Buffet seem to agree:
http://www.npr.org/2016/03/10/46989...ren-buffett-is-on-track-to-win-hedge-fund-bet

Maybesew

check out tastyworks.com

Just launched in january from teh people that created the think or swim software that is used by TD Ameritrade.

No commissions on any closing trades

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Tesla didn't beat earning, and the stock just jump passed $280 after earning. I guess the burden from absorbing solar city is not as bad as people imagine.

Seems like Tesla is positioning itself to be the next big luxury car and energy company.

Gotta love the stock market.

First Solar down 8% yesterday, now it's up 9% from yesterday. xD

flsrbmucq.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm thinking TSLA could reach 220 in the four months or so. Based on nothing by my chart buy-signal which just draws a line on 200 days exponential moving average, when it goes to the line or below it's buy time. Has worked really well for big companies in the past. So I'm not adding until it goes under.

bought some CEF and DIA last week. feels nice to finally make enough money at work to be able to put some money in the market aside from my retirement. need to get on buying a house and upgrade my car in the next few years but if i can bank a grand or two a month in some indexes in the meantime it seems worthwhile!

Yup Tesla 4% down, sounds about right and makes much more sense

It got as low as 6% down when I bought some more, it has recovered a bit since. Looking for TSLA at $300 by late this year but who knows how this ride will go until we get there.

Keep your eyes peeled on NVDA, it's dancing around that $100 barrier. If it breaks through it will probably hit $90, that's when you gonna buy if you like money and want to get rich.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
$90 will certainly be a great price for NVDA, but this price look tempting too, a 9% drops just from a downgrade, no real news happened.

edit:Seems like TSLA may raise capital soon, will wait before buying back in.

haveheart

Banned
From what I've read in the threads, there seem to be dealers that say the demand is higher than for the PS4.
Pre-orders were sold out at many points. Though they are constantly new batches up for pre-order.
And Nintendo seem to have 2 million consoles in stock for launch. PS4 sold 2.4 on launch I think.

What concerns me is that they probably won't be able to keep up with the demand and the overpriced peripheries. But maybe that will matter one or two weeks after launch.

Top Bottom