• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

IYehP6c.jpg
I can understand the food part as raw material makers, suppliers and stores all either jacked up their prices or reduced weekly deals because everyone was stocking up.

As for energy!! and cars(!?) not sure why things jacked up that much. Youd think cars would be a downer as less people are commuting less, but even new cars was up a touch. I didn't think people are so desperate they'd be buying lots of used cars during covid even though most people still worked.

Excluding food and energy is 1.6%. As a ballpark, it looks like it you exclude cars too, the inflation for remainder is roughly flat-ish.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I can understand the food part as raw material makers, suppliers and stores all either jacked up their prices or reduced weekly deals because everyone was stocking up.

As for energy!! and cars(!?) not sure why things jacked up that much. Youd think cars would be a downer as less people are commuting less, but even new cars was up a touch. I didn't think people are so desperate they'd be buying lots of used cars during covid even though most people still worked.

Excluding food and energy is 1.6%. As a ballpark, it looks like it you exclude cars too, the inflation for remainder is roughly flat-ish.

I think it has to do with transitioning to EVs. The incentives for EVs rose in the last few months. That prob why the new car is up but I will have to do further research into the number

The inflation numbers aren't too bad but as I was saying that was just Q1 so a surprise in Q1 is gonna set of some alarm bells.

I waiting till Q3-Q4 where i'm expecting 3.5%

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Decided to lock in some profits from my Apple Calls. Don't wanna get too greedy. But with that I am officially back to my GME profits without much Meme stocks involved. Did it the ol fashioned way.

ManofOne

Plus Member

JPMorgan Chase EPS beats by $1.38, beats on revenue​

• JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM): Q1 GAAP EPS of $4.50 beats by $1.38.
  • Revenue of $32.3B (+14.3% Y/Y) beats by $1.99B.
  • Credit costs net benefit of $4.2 billion included $5.2 billion of net reserve releases and $1.1 billion of net charge-offs.
  • Shares -1.4% PM.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Goldman Sachs EPS beats by $8.63, beats on revenue​

• Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS): Q1 GAAP EPS of $18.60 beats by $8.63.
  • Revenue of $17.7B (+102.5% Y/Y) beats by $5.04B.
  • Investment Banking generated record quarterly net revenues of $3.77 billion, including record Equity underwriting net revenues and strong net revenues in Financial advisory and Debt underwriting. The backlog2 ended the quarter at a record level.
  • Global Markets generated quarterly net revenues of $7.58 billion, 47% higher than the first quarter of 2020, and its highest quarterly net revenues since 2010, reflecting the second highest quarterly net revenues in Equities and strong net revenues in Fixed Income, Currency and Commodities (FICC).
  • Book value per common share increased by 6.2% during the quarter to $250.81.
  • Shares +0.2% PM.

joe_zazen

watching Beijing's recent moves, they really are a threat. Financially, they put the hammer down on reckless borrowing by governments by threatening those responsible with life long consequences, they are taking serious action against tech monopolies' predatory behaviours, and their geopolitical statements are potent as fuck (today they have come out and said any move towards independence or towards Washington by Taiwan will be met militarily). Investing in companies is a bit of a crap shoot, by if I could go long on nations, they would be my #1 pick.

I cannot understand why Alibaba has risen so much given the government's actions and threats. I am probably missing something, or we have a bunch if Western investors thinking like Westerners.

Also, if oil goes below in the next month 56.65, pile back in.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Makes me a bit ill to think if I did the "stupid" thing and put investment money in to crypto bullshit instead of actual investments, I'd probably be a multi millionaire by now.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I told ya'll banks will post really good profits this quarter.
watching Beijing's recent moves, they really are a threat. Financially, they put the hammer down on reckless borrowing by governments by threatening those responsible with life long consequences, they are taking serious action against tech monopolies' predatory behaviours, and their geopolitical statements are potent as fuck (today they have come out and said any move towards independence or towards Washington by Taiwan will be met militarily). Investing in companies is a bit of a crap shoot, by if I could go long on nations, they would be my #1 pick.

I cannot understand why Alibaba has risen so much given the government's actions and threats. I am probably missing something, or we have a bunch if Western investors thinking like Westerners.

Also, if oil goes below in the next month 56.65, pile back in.

The bill was suppose to be $10 billion

ManofOne

Plus Member
They have a reference price for Coinbase set at $250. LOL This shit is going to open at $600. get priced out boomers.

The average premium for a stock at IPO is typically 30% above it's IPO price. It then contracts 20% or more after a few days within listing.

At lockout expiration, IPOs typically hover near their initial listing price so you can wait if you want.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good at the open, up 1.2%. Reached a new YTD high in my portfolio, up 42.0% for the year.
Sweet.

I'm up +0.7% so far today. Not even sure what my portfolio was beginning of the year as Yahoo charts are behind a paywall. But I know I'm only 2-3% off my all time high which was Feb I think.

You may have already said this last year but I forget. Just curious, during the covid meltdown last March, what was your peak low fall out? Mine was about -40%. I didn't have tech or Walmart or consumer goods to reasonably keep it up. I fully rode the wave down.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
up 20% for my all time which started in January during the GME hype. Think I am gonna just keep everything I have now and let it ride out for the rest of April and see how I do.

I still have this urge to throw in far more than I am comfortable with simply because I feel like unless i Have 30k in my gains dont feel significant. Its sitting in my bank account "safe" but i feel like I am just "wasting" it by having it sit there.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Sweet.

I'm up +0.7% so far today. Not even sure what my portfolio was beginning of the year as Yahoo charts are behind a paywall. But I know I'm only 2-3% off my all time high which was Feb I think.

You may have already said this last year but I forget. Just curious, during the covid meltdown last March, what was your peak low fall out? Mine was about -40%. I didn't have tech or Walmart or consumer goods to reasonably keep it up. I fully rode the wave down.

Check to see if your platofrm have a portoflio tracker It should tell you on your monthly statement.

up 20% for my all time which started in January during the GME hype. Think I am gonna just keep everything I have now and let it ride out for the rest of April and see how I do.

I still have this urge to throw in far more than I am comfortable with simply because I feel like unless i Have 30k in my gains dont feel significant. Its sitting in my bank account "safe" but i feel like I am just "wasting" it by having it sit there.
Everyone's goals are different, and I'm eyeing retirement. I have almost nothing in the bank. But then I'm all in on lower risk holdings. No meme stocks, lots of dividends.
You could always put it in low risk ETFs. Anything but the bank, unless it's emergency savings.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Everyone's goals are different, and I'm eyeing retirement. I have almost nothing in the bank. But then I'm all in on lower risk holdings. No meme stocks, lots of dividends.
You could always put it in low risk ETFs. Anything but the bank, unless it's emergency savings.
Thats kind of where I am leaning but for whatever reason I am "scared" of ETF's. I can't seem to find one I feel comfortable with. Yet, I threw money into crpyto and GME like it was nothing. Its clearly my brain being stupid. I think the issue is as I was doing research I kept finding different opinions on which is better than which.

I put 500 bucks in one just to see how it does kinda thing.

Thats kind of where I am leaning but for whatever reason I am "scared" of ETF's. I can't seem to find one I feel comfortable with. Yet, I threw money into crpyto and GME like it was nothing. Its clearly my brain being stupid. I think the issue is as I was doing research I kept finding different opinions on which is better than which.

I put 500 bucks in one just to see how it does kinda thing.
For ETFs, I'm in XGRO for 274k. I'll never be posting here about daily +/- 10%, as it's a very boring safe play.
I don't like roller-coasters. I'm more of a Sunday afternoon drive through the country investor.
I hold others as well, depending on the account type, and some individual stocks.
I'm also not opposed to keeping 5% for playing.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For ETFs, I'm in XGRO for 274k. I'll never be posting here about daily +/- 10%, as it's a very boring safe play.
I don't like roller-coasters. I'm more of a Sunday afternoon drive through the country investor.
I hold others as well, depending on the account type, and some individual stocks.
I'm also not opposed to keeping 5% for playing.
I have been looking at VNQ and SDY for long term plays. I am fine with have some play money but I would like to put at least half into something thats going to have much lower risk and volatility. Over these next few months I think I will start putting in couple hundred bucks each pay checks and see how it does.

But I think I want to transition out of the rollercoaster that was the first three months for me. It was fun but also insanely stressful.

I have been looking at VNQ and SDY for long term plays. I am fine with have some play money but I would like to put at least half into something thats going to have much lower risk and volatility. Over these next few months I think I will start putting in couple hundred bucks each pay checks and see how it does.

But I think I want to transition out of the rollercoaster that was the first three months for me. It was fun but also insanely stressful.
I have a FOMO YOLO acquaintance I see usually once or twice a week, and I can literally tell how his roller-coaster is going as soon as I see his face (even with a mask on).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have a FOMO YOLO acquaintance I see usually once or twice a week, and I can literally tell how his roller-coaster is going as soon as I see his face (even with a mask on).
Its kinda insane how much of a stress it can be. While I have made money from Crypto I have also lost sleep. I think maybe during summers when my workload is far smaller I could see myself playing the crypto and swing/day trades but thats about it.

GHG

Also take a look at NUSI and JEPI if you're after something that pays out dividends and has less downside risk.

Top Bottom