• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story of the world's first RAM chip by Dr. Bernard Widrow

-SD-

Banned
Dr. Bernard Widrow tells the story of the first RAM chip that he and his MIT colleagues developed in the early 1950s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2SL56FSAw&hd=1

Truly groundbreaking stuff. Got adopted by IBM and the rest is history - gaming history - as far as we here at GAF are concerned.

1st_ram_chip69ja5.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That abomination is a piece of RAM? 4KBs at that. That's incredible.

That's pretty cool how that works - each RAM plane represents one bit that can be read or written to at a time, and stores 4096 bits, so if you want to read an 8-bit number all at once, you take a stack of 8 of those RAM planes, and then you have 4096 bytes of storage. If you want more storage, you have to increase the size of each plane so you can increase the number of wires in the weave.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
He said 4096 bits, thats 512 Byte = 0.5 KB or 4Kb, but not 4KB :)

Haha, woops.

I call it an abomination because that is not something I'd look at and thing "Yeah that's RAM." The fact that it works as RAM is really damn cool. I just finished an Assembly/Computer Architecture course this semester so its interesting to see what the old stuff actually looks like and how it works.

Top Bottom