• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I saw your conversation with him on Twitter, bummer about the soundtrack. No big deal in the end, already pre-ordered on Amiami. Been waiting so long for this one, haha.

i hope that order includes dungeon travellers also lol

CrovaxPSO

i hope that order includes dungeon travellers also lol

Amiami never restocked so I'm going to order from Nippon Yasan since I hear they're good. Going with slower shipping so it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Went with Airmail since it was only $1 more than Economy, 8-10 days. Good short break after finishing Legend of Grimrock 2.

Parakeetman

Amiami never restocked so I'm going to order from Nippon Yasan since I hear they're good. Going with slower shipping so it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Went with Airmail since it was only $1 more than Economy, 8-10 days. Good short break after finishing Legend of Grimrock 2.

Man thats weird Amiami didnt restock. Considering they are located here in Japan and its not like there seems to be a shortage. Guess not many folks know about the game perhaps? Judging by my OT yeah Id say thats possible too for importing sake lol

Dorarnae

unfortunately the vita ver will not come with a soundtrack. just confirmed with the director . he asked me to tell you all he appreciates the overseas fans and hopes you will enjoy the game!

that's fine with me, already have the soundtrack with the pc version.
can't wait to see the change on the vita, and to plat it hehe.

Parakeetman

that's fine with me, already have the soundtrack with the pc version.
can't wait to see the change on the vita, and to plat it hehe.

im surprised truthfully since all of the fans are on the vita so am pretty sure they would have sold through their initial preorders with it.

guess they plan on making sales through ost sales now. since yeah they did offer the ost free for 360 and pc with first print editions

CrovaxPSO

Man thats weird Amiami didnt restock. Considering they are located here in Japan and its not like there seems to be a shortage. Guess not many folks know about the game perhaps? Judging by my OT yeah Id say thats possible too for importing sake lol

I've noticed that Amiami almost never restocks things that have sold out unless it's something super popular, then they put up pre-orders for the next shipment. They tend to put a lot of stuff on sale relatively shortly after release if they still have it in stock (I saw the Persona 4 Arena sequel limited edition for 40% off or something, for example).

Anyway, I placed my order at Nippon Yassan for DT2 pretty late in the day over there, so I imagine it won't ship until Monday unless they work on the weekend.

Dorarnae

Aw man those newly added portraits look a bit out of place with that different art style.

yeah, one thing that I find a bit weird with their game, is they often do a bunch of human portrait and some nice felpur(forgot the new name lol). but dwarf and other race doesn't have a large selection...

Parakeetman

Aw man those newly added portraits look a bit out of place with that different art style.

those might be the ones used in 円卓の生徒 also saw that looks like enemy portraits might be in too from a different screenshot

Dorarnae

5.jpg

cool picture...Have they decided for the vita bonus..?

CrovaxPSO

Looked like NPC portraits from the various factions as two different DLC packs. And I think that illustration might be the pre-order bonus card from that card game (forget the name).

Parakeetman

Looked like NPC portraits from the various factions as two different DLC packs. And I think that illustration might be the pre-order bonus card from that card game (forget the name).

Yeah its a limited time DLC portrait pack which is for the main NPCs in the game.

配信期間
第1回:2015年1月22日(木)~2月4日(水)/ 第2回:2015年2月5日(木)~2月18日(水)

配信内容
第1回:異邦人ギルドポートレートセット(リウ、キョウ、アンナ、グルルバ、ギリウス)
第2回:エスカリオポートレートセット(マリリス、ヘルガ、アルム、レイン、ドランサーク)

DLC limited time download period
Part 1: Jan. 22nd, 2015 - Feb. 4th, 2015
Part 2: Feb. 5th, 2015 - Feb 18th, 2015

List of NPC portraits contained in the 2 separate packs
Part 1: Riu, Kyo, Anna, Gururuba, Girius
Part 2: Marilyth, Helga, Alm, Lyn, Dransark
Yeah that card is for pre-orders it seems.

Its too bad that they are not offering the soundtrack with the game. Though I think its more a budget thing than anything and no one wanted to put out $$$ for it having that as an exclusive pre-order bonus. Which sofmap seemed to have done for theirs with Operation Abyss as on example.

Must have been expensive for Exp Inc to have produced those special soundtracks for both the first print 360 and PC versions.

Had confirmed this with the Producer Chikami-san. Ill have to ask him why the 2nd portrait pack DL period is so short / if it was a typo.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah its a limited time DLC portrait pack which is for the main NPCs in the game.

Yeah that card is for pre-orders it seems.

Its too bad that they are not offering the soundtrack with the game. Though I think its more a budget thing than anything and no one wanted to put out $$$ for it having that as an exclusive pre-order bonus. Which sofmap seemed to have done for theirs with Operation Abyss as on example.

Must have been expensive for Exp Inc to have produced those special soundtracks for both the first print 360 and PC versions.

Had confirmed this with the Producer Chikami-san. Ill have to ask him why the 2nd portrait pack DL period is so short / if it was a typo.

I don't really mind the NPC portraits as DLC since the normal ones look so good. Pretty much given up on hoping they'll allow multiple accounts on the Vita. And yeah, I'd really like the soundtrack to have been a bonus again but I understand that it might be too costly.

Parakeetman

I don't really mind the NPC portraits as DLC since the normal ones look so good. Pretty much given up on hoping they'll allow multiple accounts on the Vita. And yeah, I'd really like the soundtrack to have been a bonus again but I understand that it might be too costly.

Its something extra they do, but the odd thing is I seriously think the 2nd phase DLC stuff that has got to be some sort of typo as the period of time for the DL seems way too short in comparison to the first half.

Looks like the game already will be having the Students of the Round as extra portraits. Still wonder if they actually are increasing the overall size of the other races, since it was highly lacking initially. Odd too considering the Ney is one of their most popular races.

Dorarnae

pre-order bonus card from that card game (forget the name).

Last Chronicle. I just pre ordered the new artbook that is coming in december it seems.
I bought the first one and I really like the artwork on that card game. kinda wish that someone would translate the card/rule book.

I used to play Magic the gathering a few years ago, but ended up selling all my card. people stopped coming to the store because of me and someone else. (kind of understand them, we had a lot more budget heh).

Ebten has the soundtrack with the game for 7,884yen and the soundtrack separately for 2700yen. The soundtrack also has a reprint of the "Students of the Round" (I hope I got that right) soundtrack as an early purchase bonus. I'm not sure if the reprint soundtrack is included with the soundtrack/game bundle since the track list isn't on the page.

Is the soundtrack worth buying?

Parakeetman

Ebten has the soundtrack with the game for 7,884yen and the soundtrack separately for 2700yen. The soundtrack also has a reprint of the "Students of the Round" (I hope I got that right) soundtrack as an early purchase bonus. I'm not sure if the reprint soundtrack is included with the soundtrack/game bundle since the track list isn't on the page.

Is the soundtrack worth buying?

Id say yes since the game does have some very good music in it. Would have to say out of all the games they made its possibly one of the best soundtracks they have.

With the pre-order for this one being made Id officially have 3 copies of the OST now. The one that came with the X360 version / PC version and now the final standalone release. Do hope to get in on the Students of the Round OST since the original version is next to impossible to get at a reasonable price these days.

Parakeetman

i know for certain one of their main artists worked on some of the art for the game, unsure about the others though but would imagine so which is why its being promoted so much.

KuroNeeko

Is this game a series? Are there prequels available on the Vita?

I'm still finishing up Demon Gaze and was thinking about heading onto Cross Blood Infinity → Tokyo Operation Abyss, but might just skip ahead to this title after watching the trailer.

Chests with traps give me a boner - even moreso if you can manually pick them like in some Wizardry titles...

Parakeetman

I'm still finishing up Demon Gaze and was thinking about heading onto Cross Blood Infinity → Operation Infinity → Tokyo Operation Abyss, but might just skip ahead to this title after watching the trailer.

Chests with traps give me a boner - even moreso if you can manually pick them like in some Wizardry titles...

While not directly related students of the round 円卓の生徒 it takes place in the same world.

Some people say its a sequel to students of the round though.

KuroNeeko

While not directly related students of the round 円卓の生徒 it takes place in the same world.

So maybe I should try Eternal Legend before moving on to this one? I thought the 円卓 series looked interesting when it came out on 360 a few years back, but I never got around to playing the demo version.

I can always just go Demon Gaze → SoSC → CBI (or ultimate or whatever) → TOA → Eternal Legend later on or something.

Still Dungeon Travellers and Criminal....Girls....to play as well.

Parakeetman

So maybe I should try Eternal Legend before moving on to this one? I thought the 円卓 series looked interesting when it came out on 360 a few years back, but I never got around to playing the demo version.

I can always just go Demon Gaze → SoSC → CBI (or ultimate or whatever) → TOA → Eternal Legend later on or something.

Still Dungeon Travellers and Criminal....Girls....to play as well.

id say its not essential, you can get the psp version too and run it on the vita i think. will check at home

its a great game though. good characters and music.

Parakeetman

φ(`д´)メモメモ...

I see! Thanks ;D

So much to play, so little time...

i know right, tell me about it since most of my games are things like this seriously need more time. but am glad a lot of them too are portable. lol

i still say dungeon travellers is one of the better made dungeon crawlers too fanservice aside.

CrovaxPSO

I'm still finishing up Demon Gaze and was thinking about heading onto Cross Blood Infinity → Tokyo Operation Abyss, but might just skip ahead to this title after watching the trailer.

Cross Blood and Operation Abyss both have trapped chests as well. I didn't play many older Wizardry games, and I don't remember much about the ones I did, but in these games you can pretty much automatically disarm the traps if you have a good enough scholar. You could do it manually since they give you a gauge of how likely each trap type is.

Since Stranger of Sword City is so close now (just over two weeks I've been waiting so long it's almost here) you could save those games until after, I think they're both really good and worth playing, especially Operation Abyss. Or just wait for OA's localized release.

Parakeetman

Cross Blood and Operation Abyss both have trapped chests as well. I didn't play many older Wizardry games, and I don't remember much about the ones I did, but in these games you can pretty much automatically disarm the traps if you have a good enough scholar. You could do it manually since they give you a gauge of how likely each trap type is.

Since Stranger of Sword City is so close now (just over two weeks I've been waiting so long it's almost here) you could save those games until after, I think they're both really good and worth playing, especially Operation Abyss. Or just wait for OA's localized release.

That and always felt like the chests were generally harmless for the most part in the Xth series lol.

CrovaxPSO

That and always felt like the chests were generally harmless for the most part in the Xth series lol.

That's true, they can sometimes be rough early on but once you get a few levels setting them off doesn't mean too much since you can just heal up and cure any ailments. They do seem more dangerous in Ihoujin from what I've seen, but I've been trying not to watch too much, haha.

Parakeetman

That's true, they can sometimes be rough early on but once you get a few levels setting them off doesn't mean too much since you can just heal up and cure any ailments. They do seem more dangerous in Ihoujin from what I've seen, but I've been trying not to watch too much, haha.

trapped shit in ihoujin make me sad lol

Dorarnae

chest in stranger of sword city aren't too bad. what hurt is when your paladin doesn't catch every hit the boss is doing, some of the boss hit like truck, a paladin is pretty much a must in every party.
and those insta kill spell. (requiem and grand cross I think?)

KuroNeeko

chest in stranger of sword city aren't too bad. what hurt is when your paladin doesn't catch every hit the boss is doing, some of the boss hit like truck, a paladin is pretty much a must in every party.
and those insta kill spell. (requiem and grand cross I think?)

I hate when games force you to choose a certain class - or maybe I just don't like paladins in general... <.<;

Demon Gaze seemed like that as well. I'm going to try to phase mine out and go with two samurai just for fun.

Parakeetman

I hate when games force you to choose a certain class - or maybe I just don't like paladins in general... <.<;

Demon Gaze seemed like that as well. I'm going to try to phase mine out and go with two samurai just for fun.

actually with the way the games class system works and how you can move skills around you can make not a pure tank but of course it will not be as effective as one.

the issue is that the enemies can at times dish out more damage than most of the non tank classes can take which is why you will most def need at least one as a tank role as death has meaning since lifepoints are limited with character builds and highly expensive and time consuming to heal up members.

same goes with chests with high lv traps, due to deaths being something bad in the game getting someone killed by a chest is a pretty bad thing. lol where other games it is not that much of a deal since you can rez all you want.

KuroNeeko

actually with the way the games class system works and how you can move skills around you can make not a pure tank but of course it will not be as effective as one.

the issue is that the enemies can at times dish out more damage than most of the non tank classes can take which is why you will most def need at least one as a tank role as death has meaning since lifepoints are limited with character builds and highly expensive and time consuming to heal up members.

same goes with chests with high lv traps, due to deaths being something bad in the game getting someone killed by a chest is a pretty bad thing. lol where other games it is not that much of a deal since you can rez all you want.

Good! I'm glad they penalize deaths heavily.

Granted, I don't have the time to spend on these types of games like I used to, but having a teammate reduced to ashes in Wizardry is devastating - yet such a memorable experience! It's nice to see that mechanic back!

(NOTE: I may regret those words in the very near future.)

Parakeetman

Good! I'm glad they penalize deaths heavily.

Granted, I don't have the time to spend on these types of games like I used to, but having a teammate reduced to ashes in Wizardry is devastating - yet such a memorable experience! It's nice to see that mechanic back!

(NOTE: I may regret those words in the very near future.)

Yeah the hard thing about this title too is your characters are crafted from the ground up in the sense that besides the starting class you can change their class up to 5 times and lv up that specific class where you can take skills from that set when you transfer back to another class. Though can be pretty time consuming to tailor a good character. Makes it more the reason not to get them killed, since its not just a character class that is lost, its something that you took the time to tailor specifically for a task through leveling / class changing.

Which is really why this game it hurts if you lose anyone. For example my party if I lose my archer I literally lost about 60% of my firepower in the team right there and considering she only has 1 LP means anything thats fatal to her is going to be a very very bad day. lol

On an up side other characters left back in the base gain exp too, just not as fast of a rate. So while you will not be totally screwed if someone dies at the same time you will not have the same type of quality either.

Due to the game system being like that it really makes you put a lot more thought into your actions. Also the usual bit with items from the shop being limited in quantities so you cant go wasting healing items and other useful stuff.

While Im pretty sure I posted this in the OT heres a vid of a boss fight against an all ninja party. Massive stress not knowing when the 1HK type of move might occur plus they can hit members in the back row which included my archer. The female elf far right side. On top of in the battle one of them has a move that switches the front / back rows causing even more stress lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyYJdR7vqk

You will notice how "slow" im actually going while playing / issuing commands since am trying to think things through and make sure I dont screw something up causing an opening for the enemy to kill someone. While it looks like I did not have much issues let me tell you mentally it was stressful, but thats what makes it great.

This title also has the physical / magical resistant type of enemies too.

Dorarnae

yeah I remember that boss battle with the ninja. they instantly killed 2-3 members when I fought them.and one of my caster was lost because I didnt rest him to recover his lp hehe.

Parakeetman

yeah I remember that boss battle with the ninja. they instantly killed 2-3 members when I fought them.and one of my caster was lost because I didnt rest him to recover his lp hehe.

i seriously got lucky which was insane. Though earlier my normal samurai lost 1 of her 2 LP from a ninja attack right when the round started in a random battle. D: That was fail. Its why she got replaced with the fighter / samurai hybrid who is the 2nd from the left side.

as you see in the vid i was constantly doing shit to drop their speed / accuracy rate. i would have flipped my shit if i lost my bow user, since she is so specifically tailored that would have been a huge pain in the ass to recreate her (&#9678;-&#9678;;)

Yeah the hard thing about this title too is your characters are crafted from the ground up in the sense that besides the starting class you can change their class up to 5 times and lv up that specific class where you can take skills from that set when you transfer back to another class. Though can be pretty time consuming to tailor a good character. Makes it more the reason not to get them killed, since its not just a character class that is lost, its something that you took the time to tailor specifically for a task through leveling / class changing.

Which is really why this game it hurts if you lose anyone. For example my party if I lose my archer I literally lost about 60% of my firepower in the team right there and considering she only has 1 LP means anything thats fatal to her is going to be a very very bad day. lol

On an up side other characters left back in the base gain exp too, just not as fast of a rate. So while you will not be totally screwed if someone dies at the same time you will not have the same type of quality either.

Due to the game system being like that it really makes you put a lot more thought into your actions. Also the usual bit with items from the shop being limited in quantities so you cant go wasting healing items and other useful stuff.

While Im pretty sure I posted this in the OT heres a vid of a boss fight against an all ninja party. Massive stress not knowing when the 1HK type of move might occur plus they can hit members in the back row which included my archer. The female elf far right side. On top of in the battle one of them has a move that switches the front / back rows causing even more stress lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyYJdR7vqk

You will notice how "slow" im actually going while playing / issuing commands since am trying to think things through and make sure I dont screw something up causing an opening for the enemy to kill someone. While it looks like I did not have much issues let me tell you mentally it was stressful, but thats what makes it great.

This title also has the physical / magical resistant type of enemies too.

I can't have this game in my life fast enough.

Top Bottom