• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Lanrutcon

Really enjoying this. Just formed a secondary team to assist with recovery times.

Edit: Scratch that. Ambushed some dragon things that killed my party. 0/10 worst game ever refunding it immediately.

Goddamn dragon bug mutant things.

They sure took the "make your water levels as shitty as possible" mantra and ran with it. Just unlocked that and the undead place, undeads aren't so bad just need to buff every fight but not a big deal, but the water dungeon sounds dumb as hell. Gonna have to farm a bunch of wands before I go in there seriously and buy a bunch of consumables/use all the ones I looted but haven't used yet.

Game's pretty fun otherwise, but a few things tick me off, I guess too used to Etrian formula. Like when there's trapped tiles but I don't want to walk on them to draw them on the map so I have to leave them blank cause I can't draw the map without walking on them. Or the lack of cheap item to get out of the dungeons. Can use the butterfly things but seems stocks are super limited on these and they're expensive as hell. Miss the 100g ariadne's threads.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They sure took the "make your water levels as shitty as possible" mantra and ran with it. Just unlocked that and the undead place, undeads aren't so bad just need to buff every fight but not a big deal, but the water dungeon sounds dumb as hell. Gonna have to farm a bunch of wands before I go in there seriously and buy a bunch of consumables/use all the ones I looted but haven't used yet.

Game's pretty fun otherwise, but a few things tick me off, I guess too used to Etrian formula. Like when there's trapped tiles but I don't want to walk on them to draw them on the map so I have to leave them blank cause I can't draw the map without walking on them. Or the lack of cheap item to get out of the dungeons. Can use the butterfly things but seems stocks are super limited on these and they're expensive as hell. Miss the 100g ariadne's threads.

Exp Inc in general always seems to design water levels with currents / no magic. So yeah being stocked up on healing items most def will be the right thing to do.

Also those more expensive items that do buff / debuff type of effects.

Lanrutcon

What does one do with money in this? I've got like, 30k lying around after buying the shit out of the Item section at the store.

Parakeetman

What does one do with money in this? I've got like, 30k lying around after buying the shit out of the Item section at the store.

Nothing really outside of buying the more crucial items from the store and saving up lump sums if you want to heal someone right away. But most of the time people just reload their games. Though depending on how much time you spent, might be worth it to drop cash on the rez instead.

Parakeetman

Ah, ok. This UI is atrocious.

Yeah some stuff will do that. There are some pieces of gear that the stats is worth keeping on, so you would have to negate it with equipment that gives 1 HP back every step lol.

Early on its usually like a ring or something that has those type of negative stats.

StMeph

Am I reading correctly that the Chosen One trait means the main character can't lose LP? In that case, is there any reason not to go for 1 LP for more Bonus points at character generation other than increased resurrection timer/costs?

Ephidel

Ah, ok. This UI is atrocious.
On the Vita version you can check the attributes of items using the triangle button.
YTyfirl.jpg
The Dead Man's series as a whole do that, I think. They were the first items I remember finding with it. Easily balanced out though.
Am I reading correctly that the Chosen One trait means the main character can't lose LP? In that case, is there any reason not to go for 1 LP for more Bonus points at character generation other than increased resurrection timer/costs?
The only reason really is the costs. Or if you're someone who would be bothered by their character being 99 years old. Otherwise, nope, going 1LP for more bonus points is definitely the way to go.

Parakeetman

Pretty much its a kinda weird design choice then again would be hilariously bad if the MC could vanish lol

I find weird that I'm finding the same weapons in the mines that I was in the forest. Dwarf Axes and Bewitched Katanas everywhere. I kinda expected I'd be able to get upgrades by now but other than getting a +12 instead of a +9, nothing new. Are drops tied to your own level or just the location/monster levels?

I'm lvl 15ish fighting lvl 30mobs and based on the item list I've found, I'm only getting items that are in the first third of the list, shouldn't I be finding higher level stuff by now?

Graciaus

I made all my characters 18 for 3 life points thinking it would make the game more manageable. But 11 hours later and a reload any time anyone died I feel like I made all weak characters since they didn't get any bonus stats. Any way to change this or am I screwed? I don't see any point in starting over this far in.

Ephidel

I made all my characters 18 for 3 life points thinking it would make the game more manageable. But 11 hours later and a reload any time anyone died I feel like I made all weak characters since they didn't get any bonus stats. Any way to change this or am I screwed? I don't see any point in starting over this far in.
Have you created all your backup team members as well? If not the easy option would be to create a new team that way and swap your current team out, but you'd be stuck with your current MC.

If you're actually thinking about restarting altogether it's probably not worth it.
Your MC might benefit from it but the other characters? Not so much, really. With 3LP the minumum roll is 3, with 2LP the minimum roll is 5/7, and only with 1LP is it actually 10. Later on some of the dungeons are meant to be longer so you might be less willing to reload, so to avoid losing a character let's say you roll your "regular" characters with 2LP. You're going to roll the minimum 90% of the time because the dice in this game are stacked, and from what you say evidently you didn't reroll much for bonuses last time so let's assume you don't this time either.
That means with a 7 you'd "gain" 4 bonus points. That's really not that much, and probably not worth rerolling for - you get points when you level up anyway, after all. Those 4 points are probably never going to be a deal breaker. If you've been playing for 11 hours then I'd probably just keep going.

Graciaus

I hadn't made backup teams until I realized they give me free money. I made all 3LP characters until the last one at age 99 just to see what happens. I ended up rolling a 20 which is way higher then the 4/5 everyone else has. Pretty significant difference in starting stats.

autoduelist

should i worry about item engravings?

for example, "butterfly undies' say "Engaving: Flame gathering ring. Ice gathering earring."

is this hinting at some 'set' of armor I need to wear? but there are no earrings, are there? What?

Q2:

Armor tht has Immortal or Spirit listed... does that mean protection against enemies of that type?

Q3:

Should i be feeding the mumic crap uniques like Gurba's undies or Elven tights, or should i just put them in storage so i never, ever have to see them again?

Parakeetman

I hadn't made backup teams until I realized they give me free money. I made all 3LP characters until the last one at age 99 just to see what happens. I ended up rolling a 20 which is way higher then the 4/5 everyone else has. Pretty significant difference in starting stats.

As huge of a diff it may be remember get 1 shotted and thats it for the character with a single LP.

Characters in standby also gain exp. Not sure what the percentage is, though it is not the full amount as the active party.

should i worry about item engravings?

for example, "butterfly undies' say "Engaving: Flame gathering ring. Ice gathering earring."

is this hinting at some 'set' of armor I need to wear? but there are no earrings, are there? What?

Q2:

Armor tht has Immortal or Spirit listed... does that mean protection against enemies of that type?

Q3:

Should i be feeding the mumic crap uniques like Gurba's undies or Elven tights, or should i just put them in storage so i never, ever have to see them again?

As far as I can tell, engravings are just lore stuff, not related to gameplay. There's earrings, but they're the same slot as rings so you couldn't wear both anyway.

On the 2nd question, yeah it gives resistance to monsters of that type. I think specifically, it increases the amount of defenses you get from the item to that type of monster.

On Mumic, it seems to me it's better to not feed crap uniques, because it just puts them back in the unique pool, and getting a low level unique again isn't super useful unless it has a massive +x modifier to make it usable, but even then a lot of the lower tier items are meh enough versus just getting a higher tier, even a non unique item. I think it's useful for stuff you might not care too much about upgrading like armor for casters and what not, or endgame to reroll some of the higher tier weapons into better versions.

But seems a lot smarter to keep all the bad ones in your storage to thin the list of uniques you can get to the higher level ones as you progress.

Parakeetman

As far as I can tell, engravings are just lore stuff, not related to gameplay. There's earrings, but they're the same slot as rings so you couldn't wear both anyway.

On the 2nd question, yeah it gives resistance to monsters of that type. I think specifically, it increases the amount of defenses you get from the item to that type of monster.

On Mumic, it seems to me it's better to not feed crap uniques, because it just puts them back in the unique pool, and getting a low level unique again isn't super useful unless it has a massive +x modifier to make it usable, but even then a lot of the lower tier items are meh enough versus just getting a higher tier, even a non unique item. I think it's useful for stuff you might not care too much about upgrading like armor for casters and what not, or endgame to reroll some of the higher tier weapons into better versions.

But seems a lot smarter to keep all the bad ones in your storage to thin the list of uniques you can get to the higher level ones as you progress.

Not really, since the higher lv your MC is the higher the + status can be to uniques. So its more up to you when you want to try to reroll them. Since progression in the game takes a while anyways, you might as well attempt rerolls of stuff you have in storage unless you are super tight on space for your inventory. Which generally should not be the case at low levels.

Items are tiered too with the dungeons. So its not like you will be finding anything super cool exactly in a low level dungeon. Though not even the JP wiki has a breakdown of what the tiers exactly are, but in this game its easier to tell than DG for example due to the types of chests that start appearing. With silver / gold being the higher ranking ones. Fairly obvious due to the overly gaudy look of them esp the gold chest dear god...

Though the early uniques you can pretty much ignore as its the later stuff you want to put more of a focus on. Though some of the earlier items are useful if they have a decent + status to them.

Durante

I'm quite enjoying the game currently. Finally got my created party back together after a long forced period of regeneration on half of them.

Sometimes stuff like this happens though:
screenshot_2016-06-111kxfm.jpg

(initial intuition)
No way!
(greed)
...but there's a silver chest. I've never seen a silver chest before!
(bargaining)
And look, it's only level 16! How hard can it be?

[1 turn later]

screenshot_2016-06-11v6b8p.jpg

[and wiped]

Parakeetman

I'm quite enjoying the game currently. Finally got my created party back together after a long forced period of regeneration on half of them.

Sometimes stuff like this happens though:

Durante if you ever played the OG Everquest, think of this games "levels" the same way when it comes to enemies.

they all fucking lie lol

Just you wait till you find Gaizel lol.

Those death seekers have Requiem which is the insta-kill spell, same thing mimics have. Problem with that thing is your luc rating + how far apart your level is from the target will effect the proc rate among other things...

With the jokes aside though this game is kinda balanced oddly, as there are occasions where you will totally roflstomp something way over your level, where in the situation you just shown for another example the opposite will happen. Ive grown kinda numb to it being from the OG wizardry camp, but can really see how others most def would get irritated and rightfully so since we are kinda past the era where things like that would happen and could be solved with correct care with enemy stats and such.

In this game though if you have that spirit wall? or whatever its called divinity, usually throw that up just in case when you see weird enemies. Odd thing is that divinity apparently even will help protect against physical based 1HK attacks. Such as whatever they named the skill that is on Katanas. Requiem is the magic based 1HK.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, I play a defensive party. 2 people deal damage, the rest mitage damage and support. Only thing that's caused me grief is the 5 star heritage hunts. My party is almost 21 across the board, and then everyone except my Cleric and Mage are doing their first class swaps.

autoduelist

Ok. Lore makes sense, I couldn't really make heads or tails of the 'engravings'. I guess I'll just ignore.

RE: uniques. Okay, that's what my gut was saying too, at least about the absolute junk ones. The only unique I currently use is the Destruction Wand [my dancer can cast Requiem on any annoying row] and I don't even have that equipped.

I just found the Heart Stone which, according to the info page, gets me a 5 star lineage battle. Not sure if I should be scared or not, lol.

Durante

Played this almost all day, I haven't had this much fun in a new (well, new to me) dungeon crawler since 2014.

I really love the transition in difficult dungeon crawlers where you go from just surviving from one battle to the next to things working as originally envisioned when you created that party hours earlier. In this one, for me, everything really came together with getting the iron defense skill on my tank, which allows her to finally do what she was born to do. It also frees the other two characters in my front line to focus much more on dealing damage (in terms of equipment primarily), while still greatly increasing the survival chances and damage management capabilities of the entire party.

Now at level 12 I have my fighter doing (~150 + ~60)*3 damage every other turn with pretty good hit rates, and my ninja doing ~200 every turn guaranteed. Good times.

I saw a few pages back that characters need a certain amount of piety to equip magical weapons. I'm still at the beginning of the game so it's not an issue for me yet, but I was wondering if I should eventually add some piety to every character? Or is do only fighters get those types of weapons or something?

Played this almost all day, I haven't had this much fun in a new (well, new to me) dungeon crawler since 2014.

I really love the transition in difficult dungeon crawlers where you go from just surviving from one battle to the next to things working as originally envisioned when you created that party hours earlier. In this one, for me, everything really came together with getting the iron defense skill on my tank, which allows her to finally do what she was born to do. It also frees the other two characters in my front line to focus much more on dealing damage (in terms of equipment primarily), while still greatly increasing the survival chances and damage management capabilities of the entire party.

Now at level 12 I have my fighter doing (~150 + ~60)*3 damage every other turn with pretty good hit rates, and my ninja doing ~200 every turn guaranteed. Good times.

There seems to be alot of points where your characters become "competant" at something other than flailing, going OOM, and getting one-shot lol.

Found some real good katanas just now so my Samurai is getting nasty for example. Named ones. With +Crit. hehehehe

autoduelist

I love that transition too. I also like the third transition to power [my favorite example is in Bard's Tale, after your magic classes master all 4 main branches they unlock Arch Mages -- few games have such a nice transition to becoming OP].

Sounds like we have a similar setup in this, though I have a Samurai instead of a Ninja. He has a move that will keep attacking until he gets hit [it has a max number of hits though... maybe 5 rounds?]. Which is great, though risky against powerful enemies. He can also hit 2 entire rows at this point, which is nice for mobs.

I saw a few pages back that characters need a certain amount of piety to equip magical weapons. I'm still at the beginning of the game so it's not an issue for me yet, but I was wondering if I should eventually add some piety to every character? Or is do only fighters get those types of weapons or something?

There's one series of weapon that require 10 piety, the mythril stuff, and a bunch of unique weapons around the same level that require 10int, thunder stuff. But you can kinda not equip these and equip other stuff and it feels like a waste to spend points on piety just for one weapon, which is like mid tier. Especially if your plan is to do post game stuff, you'll need very high stats to equip the endgame gear, and almost all of them don't require piety.

http://sosc.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

This site has all the weapons, a bunch with wrong names, you can see the stats reqs for stuff.

Also, you can potentially equip a piety ring to get 10+ if for example your character is human(starts with 9), and then once you stop using the weapons, you can switch your ring.

There's one series of weapon that require 10 piety, the mythril stuff, and a bunch of unique weapons around the same level that require 10int, thunder stuff. But you can kinda not equip these and equip other stuff and it feels like a waste to spend points on piety just for one weapon, which is like mid tier. Especially if your plan is to do post game stuff, you'll need very high stats to equip the endgame gear, and almost all of them don't require piety.

http://sosc.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

This site has all the weapons, a bunch with wrong names, you can see the stats reqs for stuff.

Also, you can potentially equip a piety ring to get 10+ if for example your character is human(starts with 9), and then once you stop using the weapons, you can switch your ring.

Thanks so much for the info!

Parakeetman

There seems to be alot of points where your characters become "competant" at something other than flailing, going OOM, and getting one-shot lol.

Found some real good katanas just now so my Samurai is getting nasty for example. Named ones. With +Crit. hehehehe

Its kinda hilarious how OP you can make your characters too with the class changing and such. Though then you realize if you do multiple playthroughs its going to be necessary if you want to survive lol

MrDoctor

yo, these tutorial monsters can one-shot my mc. i don't know if it's a defense issue considering he's fully decked out. are they just that fucking strong? was planning on stealing proper duds from ambushed enemies so rest of my party isn't running around naked. dwarves apparently have no interest in supporting the local economy

Mugaaz

Love everything about this game except critical hit stuff. Why people think a binary death touch is a good idea in a game is beyond me.

yo, these tutorial monsters can one-shot my mc. i don't know if it's a defense issue considering he's fully decked out. are they just that fucking strong? was planning on stealing proper duds from ambushed enemies so rest of my party isn't running around naked. dwarves apparently have no interest in supporting the local economy

Do you mean during the tutorial? I personally just spammed defend on my MC and let Riu kill everything.

If you mean after, I don't get why you'd be soloing or trying to get gear for naked people or whatever? Characters you create should have gear already, and if they don't you can give them the gear you had on the premade characters you deleted(or swap if you didn't delete them).

Regardless, you have some starting gear. It does seem a bit weird because the first time I made my team, I didn't have a bow on any char, but the 2nd time when I made my ranged, she did have a bow, but regardless they all had basic armor and weapons. You're absolutely not meant to solo stuff, like, ever. I mean in theory once you do a bunch of class changes and gear yourself like crazy, you could probably solo a bunch of stuff, but that's like super extreme bored status.

MrDoctor

more like raggedy shirts that were pulled out of the garbage. when you're only existing on two lives you can't fuck around like that. been pulling through on high agi so far

Durante

I couldn't find a guide, so I stuck to the defensive ones.

That being said: who I give crystals to seems to be influencing the storyline..
I'd hope so, the game basically hits you over the head with foreshadowing concerning that.

It's a bit troublesome since the character I least want to give crystals to is often the one who has the skills I want most :p

Lanrutcon

I'd hope so, the game basically hits you over the head with foreshadowing concerning that.

It's a bit troublesome since the character I least want to give crystals to is often the one who has the skills I want most :p

Uh hu. I so do not trust one of the options, but she has some handy abilities. Survival > story, I guess?

There's room to get lvl 1 in every skills and still get more bloodshards on the character of your choice. You will have to sacrifice getting level 2-3 in a bunch of the skills if you want to keep control though, but in general just the lvl 1 skills are good enough(some are quite a lot better with more points though, like physical block which lasts 2 turns with lvl 2).

The one that blocks conditions is really good to have early on though since you don't get removal for a while on clerics and it mitigates magic damage a lot too and lasts 2 turns so you can keep it up permanently. The -5avoid/hit debuff is really good also, it lasts until the fight ends, so great on bosses or just evading mobs. Initiative one is also good, but not so much for damage, I find it's most useful because it guarantees your cleric can get heals off before the enemies act and it also cancels the enemy free turn if you get ambushed.

more like raggedy shirts that were pulled out of the garbage. when you're only existing on two lives you can't fuck around like that. been pulling through on high agi so far

Good enough really. Early on, you kinda want to Flash Escape anything that's higher level than usual/looks bad(like a bunch of those casters fairies things), and get to lvl 3 or so, you get a lot of health the first few levels which will make it fine. You're not gonna have very good armor for a while, but it should be fine, you're not supposed to have good stuff.

I started all my chars at 15vit though, and then left them there(other than the tank and fighter), so maybe that helps. Also my frontline had good agi, samurai MC with high stats with a focus on agi(I think 15 or 16 starting agi and then dumping points until 25 for dual wielding penalty) and ney fighter so she had like 13 or 14agi also. Tank didn't have good agi but they have a ton more health and a shield, so no big deal.

Parakeetman

I'm not sure how to spend my blood crystals. Are there any Divinities I should get or avoid?

marilith has a bunch of useful ones same with riu alm not as much though depends on your playstyle.

some useful ones is like dragon fist, (or the charge skills depending on if you want an attack that ignores enemy defense, though personally for myself the hit / avoid of dragon fist I preferred) way later down the tree i had picked light veil.

Lanrutcon

The Divine ability that ups your magic defense is a life saver later on. A lot of enemies have breath attacks that fuck up your back row.

Since I got all of them now, on Divine Abilities, note that some of the translation/descriptions aren't particularily useful. Specifically, every rank of Sword Bond provides permanent bonuses even when not using it. The first one gives 20% physical damage, the 2nd -30% physical damage taken and the 3rd 20% xp/gold. However the 3rd is meh cause it's against the Light and Dark Veil spells, which give 30% more health or 50% more mana, as well as a different useable ability that's useful(blocks ranged attacks to your back line).

So when you plan your spendings, make sure to consider you'll probably want to spend 5 in dark or light at the end and 4 in the 2nd rank of sword bond(first one you're forced to take anyway). I think dark is better, 50% mana is a huge deal for endgame wizards and wizards become crazy as hell at higher levels, with not much setup/reclassing needed unlike other crazy classes. You're able to cast 3 spells per turn and each spell does really high damage with Enhance Magic and the Giant divinity skill, but the cost is eating 45mana per turn, which even with a good amount of piety and intelligence is harsh. But my Wizard now does about twice the damage my Fighter does on a concentration 7hits attack, but without having to concentrate(other than the first turn Enhance Magic buff, and sometimes having to do Magic Weapon too).

Parakeetman

Since I got all of them now, on Divine Abilities, note that some of the translation/descriptions aren't particularily useful. Specifically, every rank of Sword Bond provides permanent bonuses even when not using it. The first one gives 20% physical damage, the 2nd -30% physical damage taken and the 3rd 20% xp/gold. However the 3rd is meh cause it's against the Light and Dark Veil spells, which give 30% more health or 50% more mana, as well as a different useable ability that's kinda useful(blocks ranged attacks to your back line).

So when you plan your spendings, make sure to consider you'll probably want to spend 5 in dark or light at the end and 4 in the 2nd rank of sword bond(first one you're forced to take anyway). I think dark is better, 50% mana is a huge deal for endgame wizards and wizards become crazy as hell at higher levels, with not much setup/reclassing needed unlike other crazy classes. You're able to cast 3 spells per turn and each spell does really high damage with Enhance Magic and the Giant divinity skill, but the cost is eating 45mana per turn, which even with a good amount of piety and intelligence is harsh. But my Wizard now does about twice the damage my Fighter does on a concentration 7hits attack, but without having to concentrate(other than the first turn Enhance Magic buff, and sometimes having to do Magic Weapon too).

Yeah with this game in particular thanks to how class changing works also you can make some hilarious OP casters esp if as you stated go for the divinities that help bolster their abilities.

It was a bit more of a pain to do in demon gaze or op abyss for example but this game if you spend the time dear god lol

MrDoctor

can someone explain the distribution of blood crystals? can i still get the other skills after choosing one, or does it move to the next column for each crystal given?

Top Bottom