• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Bakkus

Its a joke to you. But the vast majority disagree with you. Accept that and move on.

Also suspend you're disbelief? lol

Yeah what was wrong with the usage of that word? I felt the plot even if you take in to account how supernatural it is had way too much convenient things happening to help advance the plot. Meaning you have to suspend your disbelief to accept it.

-griffy-

Banned
I watched the first episode and it was alright. I'm interested but the comparisons bring up John Carpenter and E.T. Is it more E.T. or is it more John Carpenter?

It's both + Close Encounters + Poltergeist + Guillermo Del Toro + Stephen King + Twin Peaks + X-files/Fringe

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
we just got done with this show and loved it, 3 of us watching got confused at the end though, at the very end of ep 8

what does hopper put in that box outside and why?! some food? feel like i missed something obcious

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
we just got done with this show and loved it, 3 of us watching got confused at the end though, at the very end of ep 8

what does hopper put in that box outside and why?! some food? feel like i missed something obcious

Not sure what the other thing is, but I believe he puts some
eggos
in there.

If you remember, Eleven took a liking to eggos, which Hopper leaves a stack of in the box. Means that there's a chance that Eleven survived.

Salsa

watching this like an ep a day with my dad. we're on 5 now

loving it as much as everyone else

.. but damn Stephen King could almost sue, lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
watching this like an ep a day with my dad. we're on 5 now

loving it as much as everyone else

.. but damn Stephen King could almost sue, lol

He looks pretty good though for his age and his acting has improved.

Salsa

Stephen King tweeted his love for this

oh I bet

I just mean that whenever I think it couldnt feel any closer to his style of books something new pops up that is just right up that alley

I have no issue with it!

I kinda get the "feels like ET!" stuff too but i'd put Super 8 way (obviously) closer to that. This is pretty different once it gets going.

edit:

UAg4ACp.png

lol

Just finished the last episode. I absolutely loved it, just brilliant from start to finish. It takes everything you grew up liking as a kid and they threw it all together and miraculously it worked. To me this is up there with the best shows I have ever seen. One of the best soundtracks to anything (not just TV)

I just can't express how much I loved it.

Edit: Super 8 was shit, in my opinion it failed at everything it tried to achieve. This show was successful in every area where that film messed up.

Matty77

So I just finished watching this with my 68 year old mother and she loved it.

Think I will take a break now because this was my third time through, just it kind of dampens my excitement for anything else I have on my watchlist.

Schrade

He puts frozen eggo waffles and the chicken wings he collected in the tupperware container at the party. Basically, 011 is still alive.

Really enjoyed the series. It was the first series I binge watched in a while.

I agree with those that say it doesn't really do anything new. It's definitely part ET, part The Thing, and part The Mist. But it blends those sensibilities very well.

Hopefully whatever the Duffer brothers do next is just as good, but maybe a little less transparent in its influences.

Really enjoyed the series. It was the first series I binge watched in a while.

I agree with those that say it doesn't really do anything new. It's definitely part ET, part The Thing, and part The Mist. But it blends those sensibilities very well.

Hopefully whatever the Duffer brothers do next is just as good, but maybe a little less transparent in its influences.

It was a mix of all of those, as well as Poltergeist, Stand By Me, The Goonies... Pretty much everything we grew up with.

border

I liked the show, but didn't feel it was really that consistent. It really takes a while to get going and those first few episodes are kind of a slog.

It also hammers the 80's nostalgia gong way too hard. If you want to make a film or TV series that looks and feels like something from the 80's, that is fine. But shows in the 80's weren't constantly referencing popular culture of the era. Not every character has to have a poster on the wall for some cult 80's movie. Not every scene has to have a heavily synthesized score. Characters in 80's flms don't explicitly mention bands or song names, other than the rare reference to Van Halen on Bon Jovi.

I think it's probably okay to have The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" play a somewhat notable role, but to just have characters randomly mention stuff like "I got all the great albums from Joy Division" feels like a huge pandering reach.

Just finished it last night - no major gripes some minor.

The aesthetic was nailed.
Wish the monster was practical effects,
but easy to forgive given the quality of everything else around it. Music was amazing. Can't wait to see if there is an OST somewhere. Acting was great, casting was great - one of the best Netflix shows out there IMO.

They do go back to "normal" relatively quick and easy at the end. Also weird how quickly and abruptly after learning that Nancy's friend was dead that we never hear about her, her family, or Nancy mentioning her again. Again - minor gripes.

It was a mix of all of those, as well as Poltergeist, Stand By Me, The Goonies... Pretty much everything we grew up with.

I honestly thought it was more IT, Firestarter, Carrie and Stand By Me than anything else. Comparisons to Close Encounters and ET and the like are a distant second to the Stephen King influences in my opinion.

HStallion

I liked the show, but didn't feel it was really that consistent. It really takes a while to get going and those first few episodes are kind of a slog.

It also hammers the 80's nostalgia gong way too hard. If you want to make a film or TV series that looks and feels like something from the 80's, that is fine. But shows in the 80's weren't constantly referencing popular culture of the era. Not every character has to have a poster on the wall for some cult 80's movie. Not every scene has to have a heavily synthesized score. Characters in 80's flms don't explicitly mention bands or song names, other than the rare reference to Van Halen on Bon Jovi.

I think it's probably okay to have The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" play a somewhat notable role, but to just have characters randomly mention stuff like "I got all the great albums from Joy Division" feels like a huge pandering reach.

The synth score was moody, set the tone and gave a lot of shots even more atmosphere. I felt it was incredibly effective and rather laid back compared to something like It Follows which is punching you in the face with its music. Also most of the people who have 80's nerd stuff in their world are nerds. The kids, the science teacher, Jonathan. You don't really see Steve Harrington or Nance dropping quotes about The Thing or Stephen King's It. Even the parents and adults are fairly clueless on all that.

Edit: This goes for the music stuff as well. Its not like Joyce was the one talking about Joy Division with Hobb. Even the women who brings up Stephen King to Hobb and Joyce gets some blank and confused looks at first. Yeah they're making some direct shout outs but they're doing it with characters that make sense to do so.

This. It felt like the writers were trying a little too hard sometimes.

Razorback

Yeah I stopped watching after the second episode. I feel that the music while great doesn't fit the mood at all, it sounds like it was made for something like tron. I wasn't feeling any of the characters, none of them felt believable. It's hard to put a finger on why exactly I feel that way. It's just subtle things in the dialogue and acting that just didn't gel for me. And like you said, the pandering to 80's nostalgia was laid very thick, and I love 80's stuff.

ced

Yeah I stopped watching after the second episode. I feel that the music while great doesn't fit the mood at all, it sounds like it was made for something like tron.

This is how I feel, I love the music itself, but yeah it just feels out of place. I still like the show a lot though.

You're heavily exaggerating the use of 80's pop culture references, they rarely come up in so many eps outside of maybe a poster you see for a second or two at times in a one hour tv show.

Finally finished this last night. I cannot wait for more.

This is probably my favorite thing Netflix has produced so far. I can't think of much at all that I didn't absolutely adore about the show.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Finished last night and I'm so sad it's over.

Final ep spoiler:
I got a bit choked up when Eleven went all Iron Giant right before destroying the monster. "Goodbye, Mike." **sniffle**

HStallion

Yeah I stopped watching after the second episode. I feel that the music while great doesn't fit the mood at all, it sounds like it was made for something like tron. I wasn't feeling any of the characters, none of them felt believable. It's hard to put a finger on why exactly I feel that way. It's just subtle things in the dialogue and acting that just didn't gel for me. And like you said, the pandering to 80's nostalgia was laid very thick, and I love 80's stuff.

If you loved your 80's you wouldn't be stating the music doesn't fit. Its like a glove that fits just right and is also another homage to the 80's synth scores of classic films like those by Carpenter. It totally fits the mood and the influences.

jet1911

Finished it last night. I really liked the show overall. The characters were fun to watch and the music was fantastic. The story was intriguing but didn't try to be super complicated or obscure for the sake of it. I liked that there was a clear closure at the end of the show while leaving stuff open if there's a second season. One of the best show Netflix has made.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I though Modine was fantastic as Hopper. Amazing job. Ryder did a great job, too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yup this was amazing. Marathoned it in a day and a half.

Same. Started it on Sunday, finished yesterday. Really liked it all around, it was so full of delicious 80's tropes but somehow managed to not be heavy-handed and eye-roll inducing about it.

I really hope we get more Eleven in the next season. She's awesome.

Elandyll

Banned
Just finished it last night - no major gripes some minor.

The aesthetic was nailed.
Wish the monster was practical effects,
but easy to forgive given the quality of everything else around it. Music was amazing. Can't wait to see if there is an OST somewhere. Acting was great, casting was great - one of the best Netflix shows out there IMO.

They do go back to "normal" relatively quick and easy at the end. Also weird how quickly and abruptly after learning that Nancy's friend was dead that we never hear about her, her family, or Nancy mentioning her again. Again - minor gripes.

1)
It was (mostly)
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-episode-6

2) it actually makes sense given that
Barb had to be left behind in the Upside Down, and she is basically (for everybody besides our group) a missing person.

PS: the music in the show is fantastic and -completely- in tune with the era and particularly Carpenter's movies.

Top Bottom