• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Matty77

Just finished the show over the weekend. I had a theory that I was building throughout the show based upon hints and clues that the townspeople said and did, however when I tried talking with my friends about it they thought I was crazy.

Here goes...

Did anyone else get the feeling that Hopper is actually Will's dad, but its a secret that he and Joyce keep amongst themselves and pretend that he's Lonnie's kid?

Neither character comes right out and says it, but I got the feeling based upon some of the conversations they had with one another, and conversations that some of the townspeople had with one another regarding them.

Anyone else kind of get that impression?

No I did not get that feeling especially since
they kept hammering home that his motivation was his own daughter, I don't think if will had been his there would been reason to focus as much on it, it might have been shown but not run parallel to the search the whole time.

I do believe there is some unresolved romantic history between the two, especially when Joyce says Lonnie won't talk to him because and then drops of and after a significant pause Hop says "a cop?", that exchange definitely made me feel like there was some kind of elephant in the room that had nothing to do with cops or law enforcement.

Morts

Something I just remembered from the final episode, Hopper
told the feds where to find El. I thought it was going to be a fake out, where they show up at the wrong place, but nope. He wasn't concerned about sending all those dudes with Uzis after the kids? Felt like I was missing a piece of information.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Something I just remembered from the final episode, Hopper
told the feds where to find El. I thought it was going to be a fake out, where they show up at the wrong place, but nope. He wasn't concerned about sending all those dudes with Uzis after the kids? Felt like I was missing a piece of information.

Well
one of those kids could kill a group of grown armed adults with her mind/

near

Gold Member
So just finished watching the series and I absolutely loved it. It's so well structured that it was an easy binge, there are so many aspects to compliment. The story is executed really really well, while the characters are developed in a way that makes them all memorable. All the references to my favourite childhood films made this all the more enjoyable. I think the dialogue between the kids was brilliant, with understated performances. I love how the series wraps up, it was like the perfect ending, with all these beautiful little mysteries. There's so much potential for a season 2, and the fact that the series is structured like a novel made this all the more compelling to watch.

Not going to be an anthology series. Thank goodness (imo)

Now...renew for season 2 please. Heck, season 3 while you're at it now that we know it's going to have the same kids.

Saw someone claiming the cast has been told shooting begins on S2 in September. He didn't post any info about how he knew this so 90% chance he's making it up.

It would go with the theory that Netflix has renewed it, but is waiting to announce it until the publicity for S1 slows down. Have seen several TV critics say they believe this, including Sepinwall today.

-griffy-

Banned
Saw someone claiming the cast has been told shooting begins on S2 in September. He didn't post any info about how he knew this so 90% chance he's making it up.

It would go with the theory that Netflix has renewed it, but is waiting to announce it until the publicity for S1 slows down. Have seen several TV critics say they believe this, including Sepinwall today.

It's gotta be a foregone conclusion at this point. It's clearly one of their most successful original shows so it simply wouldn't make logical sense to not renew it.

-griffy-

Banned
Going to grab one as well.

OT here, but can you or anyone else suggest some other places for t-shirts?

LastExitToNowhere.com
has a really good selection of high quality (both in design and materials) movie-based T-shirts. UK-based but they ship internationally. They regularly do discount codes for movie anniversaries and stuff too, so if you like them it's worth following their Twitter.

Solo

I'm certain that S2 will be confirmed, but I also feel like the Duffer bros have to do their diligence creatively to come up with an idea of how it'll work, creatively, before getting renewed. There are a great many ways in which S2 could falter, so they need to have one hell of a rock solid idea in place before progressing.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My stray observations:

Why was the flower head monster in the road at the start of Ep 1? There was no blood? Why did it not go to the Upside Down the moment it came through after eating the dude in the opening scene? In fact why not take that dude to Upside Down to eat him like he did EVERY OTHER VICTIM? With the exception being the final Ep where he attacks Dr. Brenner's men? Which also didn't make sense because if it was wounded why attack? Just because there's blood? Also I guess the way the monster seemingly teleported behind Will in the shed (and everywhere else) was presumedly it traveling through the Upside Down then coming back to our reality at that correlating geographical point. But later on it seems to have crack open walls and make a great deal of noise when traveling. Yet it takes Will and Barb instantly with little noise at all. We don't ever see the creature taking and transporting someone back to the Upside Down do we?

psyfi

Banned
I'm the only One Who think Will's mother is a very, very bad actress ?
She's terrible. I spit my non-existent drink out when I found out she's Winona Ryder. Somehow I didn't see her name in the credits till the fourth episode. I've never thought she was especially talented, but she was way better back in the day.

I loove Winona Ryder but she's kinda annoying as shit in here. I get grief but all they've done with her halfway through the series is just have her shriek during every scene.

hopefully her character gets better.

Korey

Do you have to be an 80s kid to like this show?

Lot of people have said that it's just pure nostalgia or something from those days. Is it still good if you're not from then or don't necessarily like 80s style shows/movies?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Lot of people have said that it's just pure nostalgia or something from those days. Is it still good if you're not from then or don't necessarily like 80s style shows/movies?

No

I'm a 90s kid and loved it

KarmaCow

Just finished and I'm kinda disappointed it's not an anthology series. Despite some hooks for next season, I thought it worked well as a stand alone season.

I don't know if it's Winona Ryder or just the character but yea, she's awful. It's understandable that she would be distraught and manic after Will goes missing but that's all she ever is in the show.

If you're aware of 80s touchstones, the beginning might be a little much. I took a long break after the first episode just because they cram so many 80s movie tropes into the first few episodes. Though it starts diverge and become it's own thing as it goes on. Still very much a homage to the 80s but stands on its own merits as well.

HStallion

I liked Winona but I've also met mothers just like her that would freak out and lose their shit far worse than Winona did over losing her son. Shit she's proactive about it if nothing else. I also tend to think people exagerate her freak out moments. On a rewatch there are not many of them but they are fairly melodramatic when they do happen. For most of the show she just seems pretty out of it and distraught which seems pretty natural. Loved that scene where she was buying all the Christmas lights at the general store she worked at.

Rogan

Banned
Just watched the first episode, its amazing.

How about that soundtrack guys? Hope it continues in the coming episodes, it sets te tone perfectly.

Four episodes in this is an amazing series. Glad to see Netflix take a gamble on an original science fiction series and it pay off so well.

You don't have to be an 80s kid. I am, but my youngest brother (90s kid) and my parents (60s kids) love it just as much as I do.

No way they are ready to shoot in September. That's not really enough prep time. Especially if they are going to follow the S1 model where the Duffer Brothers direct most of the season as well.

Solo

Yeah, September is 4 weeks away.

At best, Netflix has told the Duffers to get started writing S2. To me, what is more likely is that S2 starts filming in the spring (say April or May) of 2017 and hits July 2018.

Which well help with the "sequel" train of thought, as those kids will age significantly in 2 years.

As long as they keep the writing in line with how the kids age, and not attempt to keep them forever young like GoT and shit where they start looking like 20 year olds that we are supposed to imagine as children

HStallion

Yeah, September is 4 weeks away.

At best, Netflix has told the Duffers to get started writing S2. To me, what is more likely is that S2 starts filming in the spring (say April or May) of 2017 and hits July 2018.

Which well help with the "sequel" train of thought, as those kids will age significantly in 2 years.

They already said they couldn't go back and do reshoots on things because of how much the kids voices were changing.

Top Bottom