• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things renewed for Season 3 - Season 4 likely the final season

How many seasons will Stranger Things have?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Solo

As per Ratsky in the cancellations thread:

Ross Duffer said:
“No. 2 is always a little bit bigger.” In the process, they also confirmed that season three of the show is officially a go, and that they plan to do one more after it. “We’re thinking it will be a four-season thing and then out,” says Ross

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-duffer-brothers-confirm-third-season-of-stranger-things.html

Mad respect to the Duffers for having a creative vision and integrity and sticking to it. I'm sure Netflix would have offered them the moon and a crazy "we'll renew you right now for 5 more seasons!" OITNB kind of insanity, based upon how big Stranger Things is for Netflix. Personally I think 4 seasons and 32-36 episodes of the show is just perfect.

Season 2 is on Netflix October 27.

linkboy

I love that they're telling the story they want to tell and not stretching it out.

Can't wait for the second season.

I thought it was fine as a self-contained season tbh, and was hoping the next season would be a different story with a different location and different characters. But we'll see how 2 turns out.

Solo

Pretty jacked up that a mod can just fuck with threads for.... fun?

What's your reasoning for this? Not trying to argue or put you down; I'm honestly curious. Why is four seasons better than three, or five?

I'm not hung up on 4. 3 would have been fine too. Just saying that statistically speaking all shows eventually turn into garbage if they run on long enough. So to hear 4 is the max makes me a lot happier than hearing 10 is the max.

Kyuur

If they have a full narrative arc in mind that's great. I'd hate for the show to turn into a steaming pile because they just keep winging it every time they get renewed (we'll see if S2 doesn't already suffer from that).

I'm not hung up on 4. 3 would have been fine too. Just saying that statistically speaking all shows eventually turn into garbage if they run on long enough. So to hear 4 is the max makes me a lot happier than hearing 10 is the max.

It also seems like almost every popular show I like takes a nosedive in season 5 if they get that far.

The Office, Parks and Rec, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad 5A wasn't too hot...

Ralemont

not me
with so many hooks the ending has, im impressed people think the season was "self-contained"

Eh I mean I can see people viewing them as hooks, but to me they felt like zingers at the end of movies to get people wondering what happens after.

My view is also probably colored by the fact that I was tired of the setting after 8 episodes, so 4 seasons sounds like a lot.

4 seasons is probably good mostly because those kids aren't going to be kids much longer. Season 2 started production really, really fast after the first season launched (despite S2 not being scheduled for over a year later) for that reason.

linkboy

Seems to me like the first season was self-contained, and Season 2 itself is stretching things out. Open to being pleasantly surprised, though.

The ending

with Will and the sink

really debunks that.

4 or 5 seasons for a show seems like the perfect run. It gives time to flesh out the story, yet still be long enough to not cram things into a shortened season.

zeemumu

Seems to me like the first season was self-contained, and Season 2 itself is stretching things out. Open to being pleasantly surprised, though.

Based on the trailer it seems like they're building off of where the first season left off, with the same characters and a few after-effects of the previous season's main problem.

Anung

Un Rama
The ending

with Will and the sink

really debunks that.

4 or 5 seasons for a show seems like the perfect run. It gives time to flesh out the story, yet still be long enough to not cram things into a shortened season.

Sheriff man going away with men in black, Will and the sink, Eggos being left out for 11, Thessalhydra
and some other stuff I've probably forgotten that was planted as a lead in to a second season debunks the idea that this season was self contained.

Sheroking

It also seems like almost every popular show I like takes a nosedive in season 5 if they get that far.

The Office, Parks and Rec, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad 5A wasn't too hot...

The Office fell off before Season 5. Thrones and Parks and Rec both rebounded by most peoples estimation.

The real number is actually Season 2 for drama, Season 3 for comedy. The ones that fall off tend to do it here.

Fury451

Banned
4 seasons I think is probably an excellent fit for this, as I currently think it is for 12 Monkeys

Agreed. I'm always delighted when shows choose to bow out gracefully and end well rather than drag it out till it either sucks or gets cancelled

4 seasons sounds great. Long enough to get a good amount of enjoyment out of the series but not overly long to the point it gets stretched out

linkboy

The Office fell off before Season 5. Thrones and Parks and Rec both rebounded by most peoples estimation.

The real number is actually Season 2 for drama, Season 3 for comedy. The ones that fall off tend to do it here.

Take a show like Supernatural (which actually is a good comparasion to Stranger Things).

S1-S5 of Supernatural is freaking perfect (
with the S5 finale being Dean saving Sam from Satan)

I really wish they had ended the show after S5, instead of dragging it on like they have for another 7 seasons. Sure, the show is still good, don't get me wrong, but the S5 finale was the ideal ending for the show.

aBarreras

Take a show like Supernatural (which actually is a good comparasion to Stranger Things).

S1-S5 of Supernatural is freaking perfect (
with the S5 finale being Dean saving Sam from Satan)

I really wish they had ended the show after S5, instead of dragging it on like they have for another 7 seasons. Sure, the show is still good, don't get me wrong, but the S5 finale was the ideal ending for the show.

i mean you gotta handle it to the supernatural team, it is atonishing how the show is still good all things considered.

teiresias

I'd almost like four seasons then a planned break for the kids to get to college age or part college age and do a two season follow up in an "It-esque" kids/adults format.

Yes it is. Unfortunately some reward that behavior here

As for Stranger Things, I'm glad they have a plan in place. But I'm also one who thinks S1 could have easily been covered in like 3 episodes.

Sheriff man going away with men in black, Will and the sink, Eggos being left out for 11, Thessalhydra
and some other stuff I've probably forgotten that was planted as a lead in to a second season debunks the idea that this season was self contained.

Not to mention that the entire final D&D session was full of foreshadowing

Volimar

Four seasons is good. The shtick will wear thin once the kids are in college. Though I wouldn't mind it becoming an annual anthology series like American Horror Story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
21034448_993655437440806_5395127088385995144_n.jpg

One of the new throwback posters for Stranger Things 2. An obvious homage to the Alien films and a god damned good one if you ask me. The marketing for this second season has been on point.

Top Bottom