• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strat rpgs for Ps1? Most In-depth?

Are there any deep and rich strategy rpgs games in terms of gameplay for the PS1?
Tons of customization, classes, skills-magic-weapons galore, upgrades galore, characters, optional quests etc etc.

Thanks.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
FF Tactics is the obvious choice, Tactics Ogre was pretty deep, as was Vandal Hearts (if you can get past the graphics on both of those, eugh)

There was also a Strategy game with designs by Amano, not published by Square called Kartia: The World of Fate. It wasnt that popular due to whatever reason, but it was really neat:

cartia9.jpg

Vagrant Story was also ridiculously deep, but you only control one character though, if you can get past that

Thanks for the replies.

I beat FFT and Vandal Hearts a while back, though I don't remember much about them. Were they really deep? I am hoping to score something similar in customization like Disgaea.

I am going to look into Tactics Ogre and Kartia.

Raist said:
FFT, without any doubt.

Since the OP asked for an "in-depth" SRPG, I have to disagree. FFT is an awesome, awesome game, but it's like a beginner's SRPG. The unit number is small, the game is pretty unbalanced, and it's relatively straightforward.

Tactics Ogre, on the other hand, is hardcore and super deep. It's more refined and tight, with a large unit number, more classes/creatures, and pretty damn long. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for depth, look no further.

Avalon

Kartia: Word of Fate or Tactics Ogre.

Since you asking for an in-depth SRPG, I simply cannot recommend FF Tactics. It's like... My first SRPG.

Vyse The Legend said:
Since the OP asked for an "in-depth" SRPG, I have to disagree. FFT is an awesome, awesome game, but it's like a beginner's SRPG. The unit number is small, the game is pretty unbalanced, and it's relatively straightforward.

Tactics Ogre, on the other hand, is hardcore and super deep. It's more refined and tight, with a large unit number, more classes/creatures, and pretty damn long. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for depth, look no further.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing since I had played FFT a while back and I don't remember it being deep at all.

But some people on these boards are really sensitive when it comes to certain games, so I had to really careful with my follow-up post. :D

But yeah Tactics Ogre seems to be something I am looking for. Thank you.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Yep, everyone's got their opinion. Dragona (?) told me why most people look down on Final Fantasy Tactics (being a clone of a certain ogre game I can't recall the name of), but it's still my #2 all time favorite game, personally. Only behind Xenogears. ;)

250px-Vanguard_bandits_cover.jpg

I'll mention Vanguard Bandits, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If FFT is considered a beginner's SRPG, than VB is pre-school. It has its moments, but it isn't necessarily deep; although, there are branching pathways and decent stat customization.

250px-Ogre_Battle.jpg

Ogre Battle: Limited Edition is a rare find, but it's a fantastic game. I found that the port has some slowdown and loading issues, but it also has a great mid-battle save function. This game defines depth, and you'll go insane trying to maintain your reputation. Highly recommended.

256px-Tactics_ogre_cover.jpg

My first taste of SRPGs was with FFT, and I thought it was the cat's meow. Then, after years of searching, I managed to track down a copy of TO and see for myself that FFT is truly the training wheels of SRPGs. This game is by far the greatest SRPG game ever made. I was blown away by its depth, including multiple pathways, secret characters and the crazy 100-level Hell's Gate. I must have spent more time in that dungeon than the entire main game. If you can find this, don't let that chance pass you by. I recommend paying big bucks if needed, because it's definitely worth it.

ethelred

FFT's pretty nice, actually, as a fairly light and fluffy SRPG -- as Avalon said, it's more of an introductory My First SRPG like the Shining Force games, but it can still be simple fun. It's not very complex (though it is a really nice refinement of the FF3 --> FF5 progression of the job system) and it's certainly nowhere remotely close to challenging.

But it most definitely is a pure and total clone of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together in just about every way -- in gameplay, in characters (the names got changed, but the casts are the same!), and in most of the plot (though the requisite "save the world from ancient demons" FF stuff got tossed in). I mean, the carbon-copied-but-dumbed-down Tactics Ogre story FFT tosses off grates on me when I play it now. It's not bad, it's just that the plagiarisms are so blatant.

The complexity and refinement of gameplay in TO is superb; all the things it introduced to the genre, and how completely it's shaped the landscape of games since (everything from FFT to the Front Mission games to Vandal Hearts to N1's stuff shows massive amounts of TO's influence). Between the balanced class system, the awesomeness of the characters in the game (none of which are completely useless or completely broken), the multiple endings/story paths, the generally high level of challenge, Hell Gate, and on and on... it's still pretty much the best ever.

The other game I'd really highly recommend is Front Mission 3 (best in its series), which is also full of depth. There's a lot of really nice character customization in here, and a nice skill system (though I actually prefer the more focused version in FM4).

And Ogre Battle: Limited Edition has fantastic depth and, aside from Ogre Battle 64, it's kinda one-of-a-kind within the field. I mostly prefer OB64 to the original, but the original's still awesome; ton of classes, ton of depth to the gameplay, and the chaos frame offers a crazy amount of options within the game.

Shouta

If you're searching for strictly SRPGs, then TO or FFT are your best bets. If you're looking for a bit more war strategy/sim, Brigandine is fantastic stuff.

tokkun

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre are definitely the best two. I have to disagree with most of the other posters in this thread and say that I think FFT is the better of the two, though they each have their strengths.

Those two aside, most of the other usual suspects have already been mentioned:
Front Mission series is good if you like mecha, otherwise a little bland
Vandal Hearts series is fun enough and has a decent class system, though a lot of the maps become item hunts
Kartia is an OK game wrapped in beautiful Amano art
Saiyuki has the whole Journey to the West story going for it
Vanguard Bandits is a fairly pedestrian game with the typically quirky Working Designs dialogue ("Taste my bitter displeasure!")
Hoshigami lost me a few hours into the game and I never ended up finishing it
Brigandine I played through but can barely remember

Avalon

tokkun said:
FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre are definitely the best two. I have to disagree with most of the other posters in this thread and say that I think FFT is the better of the two, though they each have their strengths.

Being accessible is not a strength.

vireland

Avalon said:
Kartia: Word of Fate or Tactics Ogre.

Since you asking for an in-depth SRPG, I simply cannot recommend FF Tactics. It's like... My first SRPG.

But Kartia is really simplistic rock-paper-scissors. If you're just recommending one, I'd recommend Tactics Ogre. You really can't beat Ogre Battle.

Avalon

vireland said:
But Kartia is really simplistic rock-paper-scissors.

Item creation and magic system is really unique though. Monsters also have tiers so just because you have the favorable type it doesn't mean you always have the upper hand.

Avalon said:
Item creation and magic system is really unique though. Monsters also have tiers so just because you have the favorable type it doesn't mean you always have the upper hand.

Planning on looking into Kartia first. I don't want to be too overwhelmed by Tactics Ogre.

Ranger X

Raging Spaniard said:
FF Tactics is the obvious choice, Tactics Ogre was pretty deep, as was Vandal Hearts (if you can get past the graphics on both of those, eugh)

There was also a Strategy game with designs by Amano, not published by Square called Kartia: The World of Fate. It wasnt that popular due to whatever reason, but it was really neat:

cartia9.jpg

Vagrant Story was also ridiculously deep, but you only control one character though, if you can get past that

Kartia: The Word Of Fate

Excellent game. Try it. It's also having a very nice story.

MrDaravon

Also seconding Kartia. It's not an incredibly complex game but it's fun. Also FFT is the obvious choice. Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle I didn't care much for, but a lot of people do.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
FFT
Vagrant Story (can be difficult, like enough to get stuck).
Kartia
Vandal Hearts
Front Mission 3 was cool but it doesn't have "depth".

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
FFT had better presentation, music, character customization

TO had a more coherent story, more characters, different paths to the story, more secrets

I still preferred FFT because TO had overpowered archers, I HATED leveling up between the story parts of the game, and the load times were horrendous! I tried the SNES ver (obviously with Japanese) and it was a much better experience when all the loading was minimal.

As for other SRPGs, Kartia was alright, but the summoning was tedious after awhile, so I suggest Vandal Hearts!

Tsubaki

Kuro Madoushi said:
I still preferred FFT because TO had overpowered archers, I HATED leveling up between the story parts of the game, and the load times were horrendous! I tried the SNES ver (obviously with Japanese) and it was a much better experience when all the loading was minimal.

But you're not supposed to level up...

Top Bottom