• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V News - One Disc, Roster Selection Process, Stages, Long Term, etc

cheesekao

Nah I expect monetizing literally everything else outside of gameplay-related things like character-locking. Dota 2/CS GO model. LoL model where characters can be unlocked by grinding is also acceptable. Having to buy character content without it being an actual new expansion pack creates an undesirable situation of some people having access to characters that others don't while playing the same. This has never been the case in Street Fighter and I really don't want it to ever be.

Having locked pay-to-play characters is garbage-tier game design. IMO of course. You force players to either not discover a character that'd suit them or force them to commit to a character choice because they're spending money on it.

There is more money being made in other business models where game-play related tools are not locked behind money.
I don't see how having more options is anti-consumer. The ones who want the entire "Super" SF5 package can buy the bundle and the ones who don't give a shit about all but one character in the package can just buy it a la carte. It's way better than forcing someone to buy an entire package with content they may or may not like.

vg260

Nah I expect monetizing literally everything else outside of gameplay-related things like character-locking. Dota 2/CS GO model. LoL model where characters can be unlocked by grinding is also acceptable. Having to buy character content without it being an actual new expansion pack creates an undesirable situation of some people having access to characters that others don't while playing the same. This has never been the case in Street Fighter and I really don't want it to ever be.

I guess we disagree fundamentally here, because this is a game where I'd love to see a constant flow of characters. KI-style releases where you can buy a season or characters individually would be good to me. I don't want to have a grind-to-unlock a character system. That's the worst.

Skilletor

I guess we disagree fundamentally here, because this is a game where I'd love to see a constant flow of characters. KI-style releases where you can buy a season or characters individually would be good to me. I don't want to have a grind-to-unlock a character system. That's the worst.

Seriously, fuck that. Then you're punishing players who have less time to play, making them waste their time potentially doing something they don't want to do in order to get to what they want. That's why F2P is terrible.

This all sounds good to me. A new character reveal is gonna be awkward if it's one of the names that have been leaked already though.

Dont-drink-cows-milk.jpg

vg260

Seriously, fuck that. Then you're punishing players who have less time to play, making them waste their time potentially doing something they don't want to do in order to get to what they want. That's why F2P is terrible.

Any player that has less time to play is going to be at a disadvantage no matter if they release all the characters in an update or release them monthly like KI or MK season pass style. I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

Skilletor

Any player that has less time to play is going to be at a disadvantage no matter if they release all the characters in an update or release them monthly like KI or MK season pass style. I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

If I have to grind doing something I don't want to do in order to get to the content I want, then I'll be at a disadvantage.

If I can immediately access the content I like, then I'll be doing what I want immediately.

I'm saying grinding = bad.

Swarna

Constant flow of characters is not something unique to KI. There is more content released for the games I mentioned and much more frequently whilst utilising different business models.

Grind-to-unlock with option to pay is better than just forcing to pay. No unlock required is the best. Both of these with additional monetization via cosmetics like costumes, skins, stages, etc. is what I'm thinking of here.

There are seriously no negatives here in comparison to KI's model provided Capcom can successfully make money off it. KI's business model is some stone-age shit from the shittiest of shitty F2P games on PC.

Korigama

Re: Karin

I wonder if Capcom already thought of making a new character that's based off her, kinda like how SNK did Nameless to get rid of K9999.
For what reason would they even bother doing this when they don't have to? K9999 was a blatant carbon copy of Tetsuo, and Karin's established as not infringing on rights held by anyone else by comparison. Why is it so hard to accept that the issue is nowhere near as complicated as some people are imagining it to be?
If Capcom wants Karin in, she'll be in. Period.
This is all there is. Nothing more to it than that.

cheesekao

Constant flow of characters is not something unique to KI. There is more content released for the games I mentioned and much more frequently whilst utilising different business models.

Grind-to-unlock with option to pay is better than just forcing to pay. No unlock required with monetization via cosmetics like costumes, skins, stages, etc. is the best.

There are seriously no negatives here in comparison to KI's model if Capcom can make money off it.
I know you mean well and all but Capcom is a company out to earn money and they are not in the most favorable of positions right now. Free post launch content is a desirable thing but we are not entitled to it. If you think you are then whatever floats your boat.

vg260

If I have to grind doing something I don't want to do in order to get to the content I want, then I'll be at a disadvantage.

If I can immediately access the content I like, then I'll be doing what I want immediately.

I'm saying grinding = bad.

Ok, yeah, I guess I agree. I hate the F2P grinding aspect of the content unlocks in KI.

I do like the seasonal character release model of MK&KI where you can buy the character pack and they release characters as they are developed rather than waiting 6 months for everything at once. It kinda encourages blind purchases so I can see the cons there, but if I like the core game, I'm gonna want all the characters anyway. I think those are two different things though.

Swarna

I know you mean well and all but Capcom is a company out to earn money. Free post launch content is a desirable thing but we are not entitled to it.

And I argue that there are games with bigger profit margins that monetize through other means and use a small portion of the money made to release characters anyways. The only issue with this is that Capcom has never tried something like this before. That's all.

Costumes, colours, alternate fireball affects, character intros, taunts, and more can be monetized. I feel like you guys think that the typical way DLC is handled on console games is the only way to make money post-launch. There's a world beyond that.

I hope the style of the new characters is closer to SF2. I didn't really fall in love with the look of any of the new SF4 characters. Hopefully, there are more stages t choose from than in the last game. I would at least like to see more stages released post launch as free DLC. I really enjoyed the stages with lots of animals in them. It gives the scene a busy look without being an eyesore.

Grind-to-unlock with option to pay is better than just forcing to pay. No unlock required is the best. Both of these with additional monetization via cosmetics like costumes, skins, stages, etc. is what I'm thinking of here.

There are seriously no negatives here in comparison to KI's model provided Capcom can successfully make money off it. KI's business model is some stone-age shit from the shittiest of shitty F2P games on PC.

Just barely, if it's just skins and no actual gameplay stuff it's fine, but in general whenever this option is present, the grind is ridiculous. It's how companies try to coax you into paying. "Yeah you can play 500 games to unlock this character, or you can pay 5 bucks to unlock it now!" It's disgusting.

cheesekao

And I argue that there are games with bigger profit margins that monetize through other means and use a small portion of the money made to release characters anyways. The only issue with this is that Capcom has never tried something like this before. That's all.

Costumes, colours, alternate fireball affects, character intros, taunts, and more can be monetized. I feel like you guys think that the typical way DLC is handled on console games is the only way to make money post-launch. There's a world beyond that.
You also have to realize that Capcom don't have the luxury of giving out characters for free. Capcom is arguably one of the best if not the best company that makes fighting games out there and but that comes at a cost. The animation quality of SF5 is superb and I very much doubt they can sustain the development costs of new characters by simply selling cosmetic items.

joe2187

Banned
This is one of the most cynical threads I've read today.

Im excited for SFV, and after playing it recently I've got no doubts this game is going to be amazing.

nded

Are you talking about LoL/DotA 2? I'm not sure if that same business model would work for a fighting game since I'm pretty sure a LoL character is much cheaper to develop than a Street Fighter character, and I doubt SF could reach the vast audiences these moba games have. Not to mention fighting games rely so much on readability of motions and silhouettes that excessive customization might be harmful to the overall experience.

Seems like people are glazing over things because they fear F2Pities, which is fine, because that shit can suck.

But it's obvious they are moving towards a standard KI-seasonal system - characters rotate in and out for free, you can buy them in packs or separately, but both equate to the same price (IIRC).

It's possible SFV comes out at a straight 60 with the twenty something characters as a standard, a bunch of modes like Ultra, and whatever, and THEN they start working on a DLC plan to support the game.

Capcom's had some shady history, but with Sony plunking in some money I doubt they'll allow a F2P system that completely screws over consumers for people with money.

Also, they aren't going to start throwing buffs for people with money. This game is turning out to be more balanced than a few other SF games so far, no way they'd ruin it with BUY SOME FIREBALL PLUS TEN DAMAGE effects. They admitted SFxT was a terrible way of doing things, and since most tournies (my locals, at the very least) turned that shit off, it wasn't that viable.

In short, DLC routes aren't always standard, so chill.

You also have to realize that Capcom don't have the luxury of giving out characters for free. Capcom is arguably one of the best if not the best company that makes fighting games out there and but that comes at a cost. The animation quality of SF5 is superb and I very much doubt they can sustain the development costs of new characters by simply selling cosmetic items.

It's not only Capcom at the money front though. It's Sony as well. That's why I think it'll be seasonal updates ala KI because it won't gate out players, it's a proven effective method, and if you wanna buy all the new dudes, the cost is cheaper. DOA5 and KI are making bank on that, and it's smart.

Orayn

Seems like people are glazing over things because they fear F2Pities, which is fine, because that shit can suck.

But it's obvious they are moving towards a standard KI-seasonal system - characters rotate in and out for free, you can buy them in packs or separately, but both equate to the same price (IIRC).

It's possible SFV comes out at a straight 60 with the twenty something characters as a standard, a bunch of modes like Ultra, and whatever, and THEN they start working on a DLC plan to support the game.

Capcom's had some shady history, but with Sony plunking in some money I doubt they'll allow a F2P system that completely screws over consumers for people with money.

Also, they aren't going to start throwing buffs for people with money. This game is turning out to be more balanced than a few other SF games so far, no way they'd ruin it with BUY SOME FIREBALL PLUS TEN DAMAGE effects. They admitted SFxT was a terrible way of doing things, and since most tournies (my locals, at the very least) turned that shit off, it wasn't that viable.

In short, DLC routes aren't always standard, so chill.

IIRC it'll be some combination of the bolded. We already have preorders at $60 and they said the initial roster size will be 16, but it's entirely possible that they would add a F2P "trial" of sorts later on.

Hard to say how exactly they'll handle the DLC. I think the ideal scenario would be making all of the new characters free while charging for costumes, stages, and maybe additional modes, but the allure of getting $5-10 per character every few months will probably prove too strong for them to go that route. If they do go that way, I hope they take notes from KI and sell the new characters in bundles/seasons instead of just accumulating expensive content like a MOBA.

cheesekao

It's not only Capcom at the money front though. It's Sony as well. That's why I think it'll be seasonal updates ala KI because it won't gate out players, it's a proven effective method, and if you wanna buy all the new dudes, the cost is cheaper. DOA5 and KI are making bank on that, and it's smart.
I agree. I think that people expecting free DLC characters, or to be more specific, free fighting game DLC characters are being a little unreasonable. One Skullgirls character costs roughly 150k and that's from a small time company. God knows how much a AAA fighting game character would cost.

vg260

Just barely, if it's just skins and no actual gameplay stuff it's fine, but in general whenever this option is present, the grind is ridiculous. It's how companies try to coax you into paying. "Yeah you can play 500 games to unlock this character, or you can pay 5 bucks to unlock it now!" It's disgusting.

I don't even like it for cosmetic stuff. I don't want any sort of grind/pay option scenario because to me it just feels more manipulative than simply saying here's some content and here's how much it costs. If they want to offer more content, just put it up for sale, and if it's not worth it the market will judge accordingly. It's way more transparent that way. I think DOA's costume DLC is overpriced, but at least they're upfront about it.

I don't have as much time to play as I like, and I don't like feeling that my time is being manipulated to purchase something. I feel like design decisions are inherently compromised when you tie a paid unlock option to it. If something falls under that category, it's highly unlikely they would ever have put it in to unlock for free.

IIRC it'll be some combination of the bolded. We already have preorders at $60 and they said the initial roster size will be 16, but it's entirely possible that they would add a F2P "trial" of sorts later on.

Hard to say how exactly they'll handle the DLC. I think the ideal scenario would be making all of the new characters free while charging for costumes, stages, and maybe additional modes, but the allure of getting $5-10 per character every few months will probably prove too strong for them to go that route. If they do go that way, I hope they take notes from KI and sell the new characters in bundles/seasons instead of just accumulating expensive content like a MOBA.

I'd rather customization get thrown to the wayside. I don't mind paying for fighting game characters if they are a reasonable price - that shit is a lot of money on its own - but it's gotta be a KI/DOA5 level. SFV couldn't sustain itself like a MOBA anyway, which is good news for anyone who likes fighting games.

I agree. I think that people expecting free DLC characters, or to be more specific, free fighting game DLC characters are being a little unreasonable. One Skullgirls character costs roughly 150k and that's from a small time company. God knows how much a AAA fighting game character would cost.

This.

Other modes like the rumored Shadow stuff will probably be free, and patch fixes are supposedly going to come at a faster rate. I'll buy characters in a pack if stuff on that front is good and the packs aren't ridiculous.

alstein

The quote for SF4 was 250k. I expect it will be just a bit more for this- 300-350k. They'll make that easily (assuming they get $3.50 of profit per purchase with a 30% cut by Sony/Valve, that's 100k sales of each char)

I think SF5 is going to end up adding a char every 3 months for 4-5 years.

I don't think you have to worry about F2P. The FGC wouldn't tolerate that shit, and this is one of the few things that could kill SF5. Capcom learned this lesson to a degree already with SFxTK. (I really think if Capcom had treated the game DLC-wise like they did SF4, it would have been given more of a chance. Folks killed that game because they were pissed off to the point they were looking for reasons to kill it.)

The one concern I have is Capcom pulling an SNK- and overpowering new characters to get folks to play/buy them. I really don't think Capcom has to pull any gimmicks, SF5's competitive size (which I think will grow over time with their model) means that they'll do best by being honest and resisting temptation to overmonetize.

I wouldn't mind this. I'm not in love with her design, I just like her fighting style.

KoF also did this with the character of Vanessa. She has all of Rick Stroud's moves.

Where did you get this insider info? Source please.

Didn't start that way. I really wish SNK had brought back Axel Hawk instead of Rick anyways.

danmaku

Are you talking about LoL/DotA 2? I'm not sure if that same business model would work for a fighting game since I'm pretty sure a LoL character is much cheaper to develop than a Street Fighter character, and I doubt SF could reach the vast audiences these moba games have. Not to mention fighting games rely so much on readability of motions and silhouettes that excessive customization might be harmful to the overall experience.

The main problem is Capcom going again for the classic console model of premium price + DLCs so their audience will never be as big as LoL or CS:GO (and CS:GO isn't even free). It's a big barrier that will deter many potential players.

cheesekao

The quote for SF4 was 250k. I expect it will be just a bit more for this- 300-350k. They'll make that easily (assuming they get $3.50 of profit per purchase with a 30% cut by Sony/Valve, that's 100k sales of each char)

I think SF5 is going to end up adding a char every 3 months for 4-5 years.

I don't think you have to worry about F2P. The FGC wouldn't tolerate that shit, and this is one of the few things that could kill SF5. Capcom learned this lesson to a degree already with SFxTK. (I really think if Capcom had treated the game DLC-wise like they did SF4, it would have been given more of a chance. Folks killed that game because they were pissed off to the point they were looking for reasons to kill it.)

The one concern I have is Capcom pulling an SNK- and overpowering new characters to get folks to play/buy them. I really don't think Capcom has to pull any gimmicks, SF5's competitive size (which I think will grow over time with their model) means that they'll do best by being honest and resisting temptation to overmonetize.

Didn't start that way. I really wish SNK had brought back Axel Hawk instead of Rick anyways.
Can I get a source for that? Because I googled it and the only news I got was SF4 selling 250k in its opening month. Also. I also found out that each character in the core skullgirls game cost 200-250k. The 150k number was with the staff taking pay cuts.

ShinAmano

Honestly I cant stand the KI model...would rather have a big refresh with a bunch on new characters all at once with new stages and modes. This can be bith disc and digital.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I can't even read the article. It just immediately takes me to an uber ad which I can't close or navigate back from.

alstein

I believe that quote came from an old Capcom Unity forum post years ago- possibly from Seth. This was 5 years ago at least, so I figure it's more now just due to inflation/higher specs.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Having locked pay-to-play characters is garbage-tier game design. IMO of course. You force players to either not discover a character that'd suit them or force them to commit to a character choice because they're spending money on it.

There is more money being made in other business models where game-play related tools are not locked behind money.

don't most of these fighters let you at least fight against the dlc characters even though you don't own then though? its not like you can't see what the characters are like or learn the matchup without buying it

Tizoc

FYI it's July
The PS4 Beta starts on the 23rd of July right?
Better pre-order soon or request a beta code >=3

It's a lot of work for a lower priority feature. If given the choice, people would rather have that time and money spent on increasing the roster size.

I also imagine full 3D stages is a lot more work than the 2D stages in old Street Fighters.
It just gives a bigger sense of connection with each fighter and it's country. It's kinda like having a home field advantage in my opinion.(not skill wise but story wise). Also I can se how it requires.mlre work since they would have to make a stage for each fighter, in this case it makes sense having random places

yurinka

Love to see it's going to be a single disc and how they are handling everything with the game.

But wtf guys, why don't you make a stage and music track per character?

The game is supposed to have ONLY 16 characters at launch so you can invest a portion of all this money saved.

Being Capcom, we know that if you make it with 16 characters is because you want to sell like almost 40 character through DLC.

Capcom, think: you can also sell stages+music track as DLC. I'd buy them, for me they are way more important than costumes or pay-to-win gems.

denshuu

『Inaba Resident』;170533154 said:
Its not really her getting ignored.
Its licensing issues. They don't own her

This myth is older than half the games Karin has been in.

Is there any confirmation of how many fighters will be available for the beta? Probably just the 4 revealed so far?

Ono was asked about that in an interview with Playstaiton Access and gave his best Ono answer "There will be a number of characters playable in the beta". :p

Top Bottom