• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Sports Costume and Free 30,000FM

JusDoIt

Laura as an indoor volleyball player is so inspired. SFV might actually beat Overwatch for the Lifetime Cosmetic DLC Award (which is a real thing that I just made up) at the end of this gen.

JusDoIt

Laura's unnecessary cleavage says otherwise.

Edit: Unless there are female soccer leagues where the players have awesome cleavage that I don't know about

It's indoor volleyball, and no they don't have that much cleavage. Capcom couldn't help themselves.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'll hold that L. I don't watch track and field.

In fairness to you and the other guy, I can see how people not familiar with track and field would question such attire. But apparently it's supposed to be for aerodynamic purposes, removing air drag and such.

Coincidentally, Laura's cleavage is also designed to remove air drag.

sephi22

Because it looks a lot better. Afaik his abilities define the character, not his scouter or garb.
Besides the name, a footballer throwing tornadoes with his feet and doing dives in the air doesn't scream middle eastern to me, and his ethnicity has as much to do with his character as anything else.

Malice215

These costumes look amazing. It's a shame that they keep neglecting other characters on the roster.

Juri has unnecessary cleavage. Laura's is a necessary part of the lore. Just check her story.

Indoor female volleyball players tend to be bottom heavy, which is also awesome.

Ivan 3414

It's indoor volleyball, and no they don't have that much cleavage. Capcom couldn't help themselves.

Really? On Capcom's blog they're saying it's a football costume, but w/e. If they were designing a luge costume for Laura I'm sure they'd give her a boob window or something

Village

Because it looks a lot better. Afaik his abilities define the character, not his scouter or garb.

...A rich kid from dubai wearing tech that gives him wind powers

I don't think a soccer uniform does that at all, its nice, but that's the definition of an alt costume

qcf x2

Besides the name, a footballer throwing tornadoes with his feet and doing dives in the air doesn't scream middle eastern to me, and his ethnicity has as much to do with his character as anything else.

What's wrong with his name and his look "screaming Middle Eastern," why does he need the outfit to qualify? What ethnicity does Dudley's outfit "scream" ?

JusDoIt

Really? On Capcom's blog they're saying it's a football costume, but w/e. If they were designing a luge costume for Laura I'm sure they'd give her a boob window or something

The SDCC slideshow said it's volleyball. She's wearing a uniform that looks just like the Brazilian Women's Indoor Volleyball team. Plus, she's wearing sneakers, not cleats. The blog post says football because Harrison doesn't watch sports.

It's a basically the Brazil female indoor volleyball team outfit sometimes.
Laura cleavage is big but there are some female players that are top and bottom heavy .
Still Capcom going to Capcom .

HardRojo

Capcom fucked up. Laura's is volleyball, Rashid's is football and Ibuki's is track and field or whatever it's called.

MrCarter

Laura as an indoor volleyball player is so inspired. SFV might actually beat Overwatch for the Lifetime Cosmetic DLC Award (which is a real thing that I just made up) at the end of this gen.

I just wish Capcom would highlight the damn costumes and colours in a presentable way in their own game before they pick up that award.

HardRojo

I just wish Capcom would highlight the damn costumes and colours in a presentable way in their own game before they pick up that award.
Yeah, a UI overhaul would be nice, and they should also include the comments from their CFN site. They have content there and don't take advantage of it, it's ridiculous. One shouldn't need to go to the CFN site to check how the colors you want to buy look on the costume.

Rashid's is nice, Laura's doesn't look like a tart so that's great (and it is a decent enough costume in its own right) and Ibuki's is also not bad. Rashid's, again, is nice!

MrCarter

Yeah, a UI overhaul would be nice, and they should also include the comments from their CFN site. They have content there and don't take advantage of it, it's ridiculous. One shouldn't need to go to the CFN site to check how the colors you want to buy look on the costume.

That's what gets me the most. They can employ some great artists who make all these amazing costumes, stages and characters with beautiful attention to detail yet the main fucking UI and UX interfaces of the game is a shit show. Fix your shit Capcom.

JayEH

That cfn site is so good and nobody know about it.

yurinka

Laura's costume is perfectly´ok.

Brazil Indoor volley team
GetImage.asmx

Brazil beach volley team
5f54a9bbb0653d4144c5a57961aa79bc.jpg

cd33f02be8b2b3751aa6724d554414c7.jpg

Laura in SFV
21_sportsdlc068esd6.jpg

Zero issues with the SFV costume, and Capcom didn't choose the most revealing option. And if they would have choosen it, it would have been perfectly ok too.

Ibuki's costume is just so... hnnnng.

Laura's, while I hate the character passionately, is great. Incredibly accurate to the sport as well as a subtle nudge to an otherwise unimportant character trait. And I'm also in love with women's volleyball, for both the competition and yes, the plot.

Rashid's is easily the best though. Not only is the costume itself amazing, but it's just another example of how much Capcom really cares about ME representation. I say that as an Arab-American myself that otherwise doesn't at all care about being racially represented in games.

Shaheen in T7 is such a boring and generic character. "I'm Arab. My VA is a generic Arab cartoon dub voice. My life is based on honor and peace. All of my costumes are traditional Arab garb. In case you couldn't tell, I'm Arab". Meanwhile, Rashid nails nearly every subtle point imaginable. He's a guy who does crazy shit to have fun. His theme, much as I hate it, is a mix of both traditional instruments and electronic in the style popular with most young Arabs. His default is based on technology, something more fortunate Arabs love to collect and interact with. His story alt is just a street dude with sweet kicks, representative of Arab sneakerheads (of which there are a ton). And this outfit manages to perfectly represent his dedication to his favorite sport, which is obvious if you ever actually visit the ME, but you'd never guess it from a western, and likely oriental, POV. Trust me. Arabs might even beat Latinos for their dedication to football.

Shaheen seems like he was designed by an outsider trying to fish for Arab buyers. Rashid, however, was designed by somebody who has studied Arab pop culture extensively, or possibly even is Arab himself.

JusDoIt

Laura's, while I hate the character passionately, is great. Incredibly accurate to the sport as well as a subtle nudge to an otherwise unimportant character trait. And I'm also in love with women's volleyball, for both the competition and yes, the plot.

Rashid's is easily the best though. Not only is the costume itself amazing, but it's just another example of how much Capcom really cares about ME representation. I say that as an Arab-American myself that otherwise doesn't at all care about being racially represented in games.

Shaheen in T7 is such a boring and generic character. "I'm Arab. My VA is a generic Arab cartoon dub voice. My life is based on honor and peace. All of my costumes are traditional Arab garb. In case you couldn't tell, I'm Arab". Meanwhile, Rashid nails nearly every subtle point imaginable. He's a guy who does crazy shit to have fun. His theme, much as I hate it, is a mix of both traditional instruments and electronic in the style popular with most young Arabs. His default is based on technology, something more fortunate Arabs love to collect and interact with. His story alt is just a street dude with sweet kicks, representative of Arab sneakerheads (of which there are a ton). And this outfit manages to perfectly represent his dedication to his favorite sport, which is obvious if you ever actually visit the ME, but you'd never guess it from a western, and likely oriental, POV. Trust me. Arabs might even beat Latinos for their dedication to football.

Shaheen seems like he was designed by an outsider trying to fish for Arab buyers. Rashid, however, was designed by somebody who has studied Arab pop culture extensively, or possibly even is Arab himself.

I appreciate you sharing your perspective on this. How do you feel about Rashid's battle costume and Azam in story mode? I've seen people like Damascus say they weren't bothered by it, but from an outsider it does seem a little on the nose.

Gren

Thanks for the free FM, will use towards Suzaku Castle and season 3 story costumes (assuming it has returning chars w/ retro costumes).

Not feeling the sports duds.

Skilletor

In fairness to you and the other guy, I can see how people not familiar with track and field would question such attire. But apparently it's supposed to be for aerodynamic purposes, removing air drag and such.

Coincidentally, Laura's cleavage is also designed to remove air drag.

For sure. I just assumed that was the type of logic that got us super hero outfits and wasn't true.

How wrong I am. Lol

Lulubop

Cool read, I love Rashid too. Capcom gave him a heavy focus in the storymode as well. Here's hoping he gets into Marvel.

Top Bottom