• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 4 cancelled concept art

MRORANGE

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/08/11...d-dreamcast-concept-art-makes-its-way-online/

SEGA is well aware of the cult following that their Streets of Rage series possesses, so they have tried to resurrect the franchise but it always ends up being canceled for one reason or another. It seems that SEGA had a plan to release Streets of Rage 4, we had the first prove of this by leaked footage that was released a few years ago (you can view it here). The game was to be on the Dreamcast and was being developed by Ancient & SEGA with Yuzo Koshiro returning to do the soundtrack. The game was sadly canceled.

We have finally gotten more information on the canceled project thanks to Yuzo Koshiro posting concept art on his twitter account. He posted two sketches one showing off the four lead characters, which have some resemblance to members of the original cast but are actually all new heroes. Another photo shows off ideas for combos, on this photo we actually get the names of the Axel looking guy, who is called Burn and is the son of Axel (aka Axel Jr.). We also see the female character who’s name is Erie and happens to be a ‘Shinobi’.

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro

CMHN9nAUcAA9HSw.png:large

CMHSISWUMAA7qhe.png:large

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Axel's RE5-Chris style tree trunk arms seem really distracting.

Anyway, its probably good a 4th one was never made, it would most likely never live up to the original(s).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Those aren't redesigns of the original characters--they were planning on an all-new roster of younger characters with ties to the OGs, a la Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

JordanKZ

I'm not a fan of this artwork.

Even if a Streets of Rage game gets created as this point (which is damn unlikely, let's be honest)... It's never going to have the same spirit or feel of the original games.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
TlTf2tJ.jpg

looks shit, the sprites stand out from the background in that cheap mobile game way

I had to look closer but the sprites for the characters look pasted onto a background. lol.

Those character designs in the OP are so good though. If it did happen I doubt it'd be sprites though since it was from 1999 when the DC was still a thing.

True story: There have been more cancelled Streets of Rage 4s than there have been games in the series as a whole.

Something must be wrong with your eyes. The game looks perfectly fine.

The backgrounds are terrible for Streets of Rage. Motherfuckers look like they took a wrong turn and ended up in a Metal Slug game.

dperrin

True story: There have been more cancelled Streets of Rage 4s than there have been games in the series as a whole.

The backgrounds are terrible for Streets of Rage. Motherfuckers look like they took a wrong turn and ended up in a Metal Slug game.

It's true that they look like Metal Slug backgrounds, but by no means does it look like a bad mobile game. My entire point was that the game does not look terrible, people just have weird graphical expectations for a fan sequel. The game is extremely impressive looking, especially since it was fan made. In motion it looks quite good.

I don't like that artwork at all, but I should probably be ignored since I think the art, gameplay, and especially the music of SoR1 is the best in the series.

Darrenf

Even though I'm not a huge fan of 3 I would have loved to have played a 4th game in the series. Shame this never got made.

Top Bottom