• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck on laptop choice - Dell vs. Alienware

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

Gold Member
I am stuck on choosing either laptop. Basically, I want one that is futureproof, last me through college, and at least handle itself playing games. :) Both are $2,000 (maybe lil more with the shipping and handling). I also refuse to go higher than $2,000.

21341hh7.jpg

Specs:
- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
- Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - Without Remote Control or TV Tuner
-Display: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD - Saucer Silver
-Motherboard: Alienware® Intel® 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
-Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
-System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 160GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
-Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW w/ Nero Software
-Video/Graphics Card: 256MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1800
-Sound Card: Intel® 7.1 High-Definition Audio
-Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
-Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
-Power: Additional AC Adapter - Alienware® Area-51 m5790 120 Watt Auto-switch Adapter
-Power: Additional Battery - Alienware® Area-51 m5790 8-cell Lithium-Ion Battery
-Warranty: 2-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
-AlienRespawn: Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit
-Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mousepad
-Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $100 Value - FREE!
-Free Alienware® T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black

(If I decide on a laptop. I could easily just take off the 1GB ram and switch it with the 2GB)

OR

16291ug2.jpg
(Sorry, couldn't find a better pic. lol)

Inspiron E1705 - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
-Operating System - FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory
-LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
-Memory - 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
-Video Card - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
-Hard Drive - 160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
-Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
-Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
-Sound Options - Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
-Wireless Networking Cards - Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N
-Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) I chose Security with Value, Plus,or Premium Warranty Bundle. (3 years for warranty including accidental)
-Primary Battery 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
-Hardware Warranty PC-Care Plus Bundle
-Power Adapter 90 Watt Spare AC Adapter
-Power Adapter APC Essential SurgeArrest 7-outlet Surge Protector
-Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
-Labels - Windows Vista™ Premium

(Once again, the ram would be switched once i got it. Saves money)

Which laptop you think I should get GAF?

clav

Some tips to keep in mind:

1. Don't obtain security suites. You usually have issues connecting with a college network with one.

2. Buy small memory and buy 2 1GB sticks. Most of the time, that is a better deal. Go to SlickDeals or Fatwallet for deals.

3. Buy a smaller screen if possible. You don't want to lug around a 17 inch laptop around with all your books. It's just not worth it. Try for a 14". Even I think 15.4" are a bit too big. (I own an Inspiron 6000).

What is your major? I would recommend people a Mac if their major isn' science-related such as engineering or biology.

dark_chris

Gold Member
HaloFans said:
Some tips to keep in mind:

1. Don't obtain security suites. You usually have issues connecting with a college network with one.

2. Buy small memory and buy 2 1GB sticks. Most of the time, that is a better deal. Go to SlickDeals or Fatwallet for deals.

3. Buy a smaller screen if possible. You don't want to lug around a 17 inch laptop around with all your books. It's just not worth it. Try for a 14". Even I think 15.4" are a bit too big. (I own an Inspiron 6000).

What is your major? I would recommend people a Mac if their major isn' science-related such as engineering or biology.

Well, I plan to go to a university to just do my general eds. If I go along with that, then my major would be photography (transferring colleges). If I don't go for just general eds, then it would be Computer Science (staying at the university).

gprime

sonarrat said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220043

I am posting from a three-year-old Asus S5N. They make absolutely the best laptops you can buy - reliable, efficient and much more powerful than their specs would have you believe because of their motherboard expertise.

Woah. You are a fellow S5N owner? Do you actually use it for everyday use? I have mine for school but can't imagine working from a 12" screen every day :p

Firestorm

dark_chris said:
Guess that counts 1 for Dell. :)

Dell owns Alienware. Alienware is basically one of their brands. I went with a clearance Toshiba (the specs on the thing were basically double the value of what I got it for), but like sonarrat said, Asus does make the best laptops it seems.

Currently, Nvidia's video drivers are shit. So I guess go with the Alienware which has an ATI? Unless ATI's is shit too, I haven't checked up on it. I just know that my Go 7600 has horrible support from Nvidia.

Tarazet

gprime said:
Woah. You are a fellow S5N owner? Do you actually use it for everyday use? I have mine for school but can't imagine working from a 12" screen every day :p

I use it all the time, and my cheapo desktop collects dust in the closet. Sometimes I hook it up to my monitor just to get a higher refresh rate, and the external DVD drive is rattly, but otherwise I couldn't be happier with this thing.

zoku88

Before buying from one of them, you should probably check out Sager Notebooks and ibuypower.

Sager is known to be pretty good (and they're somewhat cheaper.)

gprime

sonarrat said:
I use it all the time, and my cheapo desktop collects dust in the closet. Sometimes I hook it up to my monitor just to get a higher refresh rate, and the external DVD drive is rattly, but otherwise I couldn't be happier with this thing.

Yeah it's definitely a nice machine :) Even at 3 years old I still get comments on it all the time.

Tarazet

gprime said:
Yeah it's definitely a nice machine :) Even at 3 years old I still get comments on it all the time.

Yeah, since mine is white people ask me why I bought a Mac.. I say I didn't, it's a PC.. :lol and then they're all interested.. they're always impressed by how light it is (3 pounds) and the fact that I can still get 2 1/2 hours out of it at that weight.

S. L.

just keep in mind that 17" is pretty much not portable in a painless way.
for something more college friendly i'd look at the 10"-14" range

dark_chris

Gold Member
zoku88 said:
Before buying from one of them, you should probably check out Sager Notebooks and ibuypower.

Man, the things you can make with the desktops are awesome on ibuypower. >.< Its crazy.

deadbeef

Man my brother in law has an Alienware laptop because he travels 5 days out of 7. That thing gets SO HOT. It's uncomfortable resting your hands on the keyboard while it's on a desk - I can't imagine sitting it on your lap on the couch. Screw that, get the Dell.

Also, you can't buy a futureproof machine. Sorry :/

Juice said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new computer.

Apple vs. Mac

What's it gonna be?!?!?!??!

:lol

Aside from that sarcasm, it really isn't a good idea to combine the two. Gaming "laptops" aren't really things that you want to carry around. The last thing you need to add to a backpack full of books is a laptop that weighs 8~10lbs (Believe me, it seems like a lot more because you're a lot more gentle with it than books and the like).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For the Love of God, do not buy anything from Alienware. I am one of those unfortunate customers they manipulated to screwing over. I filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs because of it.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Kadey said:
For the Love of God, do not buy anything from Alienware. I am one of those unfortunate customers they manipulated to screwing over. I filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs because of it.

Whats your story? lol

dark_chris

Gold Member
zoku88 said:

Is there any other site like ibuypower?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
dark_chris said:
Whats your story? lol

I bought a PC from them awhile ago and it died. Well I had to learn basic Indian just to understand what the hell the customer service rep was talking about. Thing is, they ask really dumb questions like, "do you have your power on?, is it plugged into the outlet?". Seriously dumb questions which I know is understandable because they are normal people who are just reading off of a book.

Anyway, I know a few things about computers and the problem was either the motherboard or PSU. I had to get two exchanges with the PSU and one for the motherboard. In order to do that, they take your CC# for security purposes but will charge you for the item if the replacement part does not get to them at a certain time. Well, to screw you over, in order to replace the part, you would need an Alienware tech to come to your house and do it. You void your warranty if any one else does it which is what happened in my case. I had a professional IT guy at work do it who owns these techs when it comes to these things, actually do it.
Well for one, they charged my card for the items because I didnt get it to them in time but how could I if I was supposed to wait for the tech guy to replace it? It's a lose-lose situation for consumers. I mean, I honestly never had this bad of a service with a company before and I dealt with many. My problem wasn't over because they sent me crappy parts as well and because I voided my warranty, they no longer care what happens thereafter. What a way to treat your customers. I hope the whole company goes down. Apparently if you go to their forums, you will see many people with similiar problems and they do have a history of being like this so it's not an isolated incident on my part.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Kadey said:
I bought a PC from them awhile ago and it died. Well I had to learn basic Indian just to understand what the hell the customer service rep was talking about. Thing is, they ask really dumb questions like, "do you have your power on?, is it plugged into the outlet?". Seriously dumb questions which I know is understandable because they are normal people who are just reading off of a book.

Anyway, I know a few things about computers and the problem was either the motherboard or PSU. I had to get two exchanges with the PSU and one for the motherboard. In order to do that, they take your CC# for security purposes but will charge you for the item if the replacement part does not get to them at a certain time. Well, to screw you over, in order to replace the part, you would need an Alienware tech to come to your house and do it. You void your warranty if any one else does it which is what happened in my case. I had a professional IT guy at work do it who owns these techs when it comes to these things, actually do it.
Well for one, they charged my card for the items because I didnt get it to them in time but how could I if I was supposed to wait for the tech guy to replace it? It's a lose-lose situation for consumers. I mean, I honestly never had this bad of a service with a company before and I dealt with many. My problem wasn't over because they sent me crappy parts as well and because I voided my warranty, they no longer care what happens thereafter. What a way to treat your customers. I hope the whole company goes down. Apparently if you go to their forums, you will see many people with similiar problems and they do have a history of being like this so it's not an isolated incident on my part.

Wow. Holy Crap. Well, I guess that convinces me to not get it. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Like I was saying, is there any other sites like ibuypower.com?
Now that I saw that site, I know there are other options than this site.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was just going to post a topic, lol.
I'm looking for a laptop with dedicated vram and a half-way decent graphics chip, and I'd rather not spend more than $1,300.

Get the Dell. Then add 1GB of RAM to it. If you're running Vista, especially on a laptop, you want 2GB of RAM. The Alienware... not so much. And this is coming from someone who has just spent the last 2 months intensively researching laptops. (I just decided to build my own desktop instead.)

dark_chris

Gold Member
keeblerdrow said:
Get the Dell. Then add 1GB of RAM to it. If you're running Vista, especially on a laptop, you want 2GB of RAM. The Alienware... not so much. And this is coming from someone who has just spent the last 2 months intensively researching laptops. (I just decided to build my own desktop instead.)

Yea, I may get the Dell, pending on the options GAF may give.

I rather like to choose my components like what each major brand and ibuypower do.

I have a 2GB ram stick here in handy for the laptop I choose. :)

sonarrat said:

I am posting from a three-year-old Asus S5N. They make absolutely the best laptops you can buy - reliable, efficient and much more powerful than their specs would have you believe because of their motherboard expertise.

This man speaks the truth. ASUS designs and builds the best laptops in the world.

For a 17", get the ASUS W2 or G2. You cannot go wrong with either of these.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
17 inches = too big.

If you weren't going to game, I'd suggest Thinkpad.

Since you are, I suggest ASUS.

acidviper

Banned
dark_chris said:
I am stuck on choosing either laptop. Basically, I want one that is futureproof
Its already obselete. Why didn't you wait for the next gen of processors. Apparently its a big jump. And why the hell would you need a gaming laptop in college? Are you really going to be playing games in lecture hall.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
acidviper said:
Its already obselete. Why didn't you wait for the next gen of processors. Apparently its a big jump. And why the hell would you need a gaming laptop in college? Are you really going to be playing games in lecture hall.
if it's a desktop replacement for him that's a good reason.

Super pretty machine, congratulations.

Do you still have to format new Dells to get rid off all the preinstalled shitware or can that stuff be easily removed now?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Good job on the Dell. I don't know about the model you chose, but I have an Alienware and it overheats almost every day, usually at the worst of times. :\ I gave up using it for gaming since most games from 2005 and up run too choppy (using an ATI 9600 mobile gfx card) and then there's that overheating issue. Also Alienware stopped all support for this model and stopped selling their graphics card upgrades (the selling point behind this thing!) before I had a chance to do anything. On the positive side, I will say that this PC is built like a TANK and has gone to a lot of places, different countries, etc. with no damage whatsoever.

So I'm going back into the arms of Apple, I think. The PC experiment ends with this one. I'll probably have to wait and deal with this thing for another year, though, I think. I suppose if I stopped buying games for a while I could save up,but **** that. :)

I need to stay in more I read that as stuck on lapdance choice - Dell vs. Alienware

I was like what kind of stipper names are those. Is the strip club next to Google HQ or something?

dark_chris

Gold Member
Fragamemnon said:
Super pretty machine, congratulations.

Do you still have to format new Dells to get rid off all the preinstalled shitware or can that stuff be easily removed now?

Its all easily removable now. You just uninstall them and you wipe a good chunk of waste from here. Its not all that inconvenient. I been carrying it around in my bag to get a good feel of it. I got used to it already.

I think its a wise choice to go with this.

This laptop was actually a graduation gift from my mom and dad.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Lyte Edge said:
Good job on the Dell. I don't know about the model you chose, but I have an Alienware and it overheats almost every day, usually at the worst of times. :\ I gave up using it for gaming since most games from 2005 and up run too choppy (using an ATI 9600 mobile gfx card) and then there's that overheating issue. Also Alienware stopped all support for this model and stopped selling their graphics card upgrades (the selling point behind this thing!) before I had a chance to do anything. On the positive side, I will say that this PC is built like a TANK and has gone to a lot of places, different countries, etc. with no damage whatsoever.

So I'm going back into the arms of Apple, I think. The PC experiment ends with this one. I'll probably have to wait and deal with this thing for another year, though, I think. I suppose if I stopped buying games for a while I could save up,but **** that. :)

This machine doesn't really heat up much at all. I don't make it work hard yet but it just seems fine. As long as it obviously gets to vent air from under. :)

sonarrat said:

+1 for Asus.

Just bought the G2 a month ago...Love it! Amazing power, reliable and cool. Same specs as those other two, except 2 GB of ram and a few good extras. (Nice backpack and gaming mouse)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220125

womp

I have an E1705, same specs but with 2 gigs of RAM...Got it a month ago. Great system so far although I am having probs with the DVD drive. I am so glad I went with 17 inches too...Its almost too hard to go back to 15.4.

Anyway...Has NVidia gotten their act together yet with proper Vista drivers for this 7900 GS I have or what? I'm still using these custom jobbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom