• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student kicked out of honors class after caught cheating, parents sue school district

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

This sounds bizarrely hardcore, like what I'd expect from college. I was an honors and AP student in one of the better public schools in my state, and it was still pretty laid back overall.

IB is basically supposed to be a college-level experience.

Unfortunately IB classes are notorious for cheating, because every person's paper would be marked by a different invigilator halfway across the world. It's the huge flaw in an otherwise impeccable education system, and even though the onus should be on the internal teacher to notice and flag the cheating before it even gets sent out, IB schools take pride in the marks of their students. Who's to say the teachers would rather people not cheat and get worse marks?

What's the solution? The only thing I can imagine is that everything be submitted electronically to one of those plagiarism detecting software packages, but I've never found those to be that accurate.

This wasn't just papers though. One girl (graduated #3) would regularly cheat on tests.

Theirs a huge difference between copying homework and copying an essay. The latter of which irl gets you in huge trouble. You'd have to be pretty stupid to plagiarize an essay anyways considering how effective the cheating detection method's are.

I once forgot to quote somebody in my 10 page paper and my sources were a bit wonky and got an automatic zero by the professor and had to explain myself to the dean )= . The Dean sided with me and said I made a mistake and should only have been docked points not given a zero.

Kick him out. His long term future isn't destroyed or damaged. In fact, this experience will teach him there's consequences for his actions.

Shitty parents coddling their shitty kids.....

scy

This reminds me of my last year of college. My very last exam got delayed because nearly everyone in the prior sections were caught cheating.

The course? Engineering Ethics.

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom