• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago: Can't graduate High School unless you have a Job or are going to College

bigkrev

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.53b1f3258c1b

CHICAGO — To graduate from a public high school in Chicago, students will soon have to meet a new and unusual requirement: They must show that they've secured a job or received a letter of acceptance to college, a trade apprenticeship, a gap year program or the military.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) said he wants to make clear that the nation's third-largest school system is not just responsible for shepherding teenagers to the end of their senior year, but also for setting them on a path to a productive future.
”We are going to help kids have a plan, because they're going to need it to succeed," he said. ”You cannot have kids think that 12th grade is done."

Few would dispute that kids often need more than a high school diploma to thrive in today's economy, but there is a simmering debate about the extent to which schools should be — and realistically can be — expected to ensure their graduates receive further training.

Emanuel's plan, approved by the Board of Education in late May, has planted Chicago at the center of that debate.

Experts say Chicago Public Schools is the first big-city system to make post-graduation plans a graduation requirement. But the question is whether the cash-strapped district can provide enough mentoring and counseling to help its neediest students succeed when the rule takes effect in 2020.

Given the new graduation requirement, seniors beginning this fall will take a year-long seminar on planning for life after high school. Epps said she hopes to reach younger students through assemblies, parent meetings and instruction in home-room classes.
Janice Jackson, the school system's chief education officer, said that is how the new requirement is supposed to work — pushing principals to improve efforts to help students prepare for the future. About 60 percent of district students have postsecondary plans when they graduate, she said, and she doesn't think the schools should wait for more money to set an expectation that the remaining 40 percent follow suit.

Would Chicago really withhold diplomas from students who meet every requirement except the new one? Jackson says it won't come to that, because principals, counselors and teachers won't let it. They'll go to students in that situation and press them to make sure they have a plan.

”There's a big group in there who aren't doing a whole lot after they leave high school," she said. ”It's our responsibility to . . . guide them in the right direction."

I'm glad that we are finding more unique ways to absolutely fuck over poor people every day!

Volimar

Yep. Trying to funnel as many poor black kids into the army as they can, just to get em off the streets. btw, I think we had a thread on this a while back. Might have more info if anyone wants to brave the search function.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Next: Parents in jail for feeding their kids after they graduate. Can't smooch off your parents!

hbkdx12

Are they supplying kids with (good) jobs or nah? because if not you'd think it'd be pretty obvious that they're compounding an already terrible and existing problem

Socivol

Complete bullshit and just another hurdle for people to cross. When the graduation rates plummet this will be done away with rapidly.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I was already in college while in high school and I had a job lined up but this is bullshit

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
So a few more kids will force themselves to do something they don't want just to graduate while many more will simply dropout due to this bs initiative. Wonderful.

HeatBoost

Given generally how over-extended most school districts are, I'm sure they are going to provide a ton of helpful services to place all their graduates in decent jobs and provide lots of financial aid so they can find the right school

Also, imagine that I am miming masturbation while rolling my eyes in a sarcastic fashion as you read this post

If proper resources and programs are implemented for this, this could be great. A wave of young working class, and kids going to college.

...except college is really expensive, jobs that require only a diploma from high school are becoming less common, and Chicago's poverty rate is atrocious.

This could be great, but I see it playing out horribly.

Yep. Trying to funnel as many poor black kids into the army as they can, just to get em off the streets. btw, I think we had a thread on this a while back. Might have more info if anyone wants to brave the search function.

Yeah, this is the first thing that jumped out to me. We already have enough people in the military who joined it as a last resort and never should have. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage it. I think this just ensures that the more disadvantaged in this country end up in front of enemy fire, while the rich profit.

If proper resources and programs are implemented for this, this could be great. A wave of young working class, and kids going to college.

...except college is really expensive, jobs that require only a diploma from high school are becoming less common, and Chicago's poverty rate is atrocious.

This could be great, but I see it playing out horribly.

To be fair you don't need to go to college, you just need to be accepted. Though you'd still need to pay application fees

Sure, requiring teens to take classes that better help them be prepared for the real world is a good idea, but this is taking it too far.

RomeoDog

Banned
Like everything else in high school it'll be easy to fake and most peeps will get out of it. Though honest kids might get drafted by the sounds of things.

mackattk

lol this is ridiculous. There are a ton of high school kids who don't have reliable transportation for a job, and also their family can't afford college.

Hell, I didn't even have a car until I was done with high school. My parents had to cart me around to my job and back all the time. Just couldn't afford a car, but luckily was able to work things out to maintain a job. Not everyone is so lucky.

GamerJM

Banned
This is stupid as hell, though I figure most people who want to graduate but don't want to go to college will just apply to their local community college and then drop out.

Spacebar

This doesn't really sound that bad. Kids have plenty of time to find work after school and would be great to get them learning a craft before they graduate.

I could have sworn there was something like this already?
Or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of

From that thread:

Some more information since we love to spiral into a rage tizzy before learning all the facts.

http://www.theroot.com/rahm-emanuel-wants-to-require-chicago-students-to-have-1794054883

Several non-college paths satisfy the requirement - including having a job or getting a job offer and taking a gap year (listed below). Waivers are available for extenuating circumstances.

All CPS students qualify for free tuition at City Colleges through a partnership

Since 86% of our students come from low-income families, they also qualify to get application fees for college waived

60% of CPS students already provide a plan - the goal of Learn Plan Succeed is to have students start planning and thinking about their future so they can achieve their goals with the help of passionate counselors, staff, and educators.

mackattk

This doesn't really sound that bad. Kids have plenty of time to find work after school and would be great to get them learning a craft before they graduate.

Would be far better to just have a class that teaches kids life skills and what options they have for after high school. There are going to be at least a couple of students who will not be able to graduate high school. Even one is too many.

kmfdmpig

I'm a proponent of higher education, but this is bullshit and will make things worse, not better, for a lot of people.

Spacebar

Would be far better to just have a class that teaches kids life skills and what options they have for after high school. There are going to be at least a couple of students who will not be able to graduate high school. Even one is too many.

Why not both? Like I said they have plenty of time for both during school. Plus, you just can't beat real world experience. This could be a good extra push to help motivate kids to get out there early and gain valuable experience. Meanwhile other kids at other schools just show up to class and get a diploma. When they get out they wont have the advantage the kids who already have work experience do.

Community College full-time still costs thousands of dollars. They are promising acceptance, not tuition.

Sounds like that would still be enough for them to release the diploma or whatever.

It does sound really bad and I am sure there are probably a few ulterior motives, but on one hand there are way too many people who graduate HS with no plans and end up getting stuck in crappy situations.

My brother still regrets his decision to not go to college or learn a trade after high school and is now in a situation where he doesn't really have the freedom to quit his current dead-end job.

Still, not a fan of ultimatums like this and expect it to do more harm than good.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm all for people getting into higher education, but this straight up fucking bullshit.

Pau

Why not do more preparing and guiding kids in choosing a path after high school instead of this shit?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This again. We had this thread months ago. Once again people are going off on a bit of a hysterical fit with out bothering to actually find out the details of the program

First, a college acceptance letter is not the only way to get the diploma. You can have a job already or an offer on the table, a trade apprenticeship, join the military, and the language gives a lot of leeway as to what qualifies as "having a plan for what comes next".

Second the state has made it very easy to apply to and be accepted to a community college. Even if you don't go, it's very simple to get an acceptance letter.

Third and most importantly,this isn't schools just throwing kids out on their ass with a "good luck, you are an adult now!" Which is arguably what our system now is like. Instead, students will spend an entire year learning about what options they have for the future and working towards them with help from teachers and administration. As stated in the article, it's also on schools to make sure every single student has an option for their future by the time graduation comes around. That is a good thing. I do expect hiccups and issues as it begins, but the benefits are huge in setting a new expectation for what high school should provide kids. Changing from "good luck child, figure it out!" To "by the time you walk out these doors, you will feel secure in knowing what the next step in your journey is."

Speevy

Banned
Retail and fast food joints are going to start hiring people for one day so they can graduate from high school.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So what about people who have non-conventional jobs like online jobs? Do those count?

Cyframe

I remember reading about this when it was first announced. The idea is absurd and regressive. Why not just provide services and support without what amounts to blackmail?

Daria said it best:

"My goal is not to wake up at 40 with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens."

ColdPizza

Banned
This again. We had this thread months ago. Once again people are going off on a bit of a hysterical fit with out bothering to actually find out the details of the program

First, a college acceptance letter is not the only way to get the diploma. You can have a job already or an offer on the table, a trade apprenticeship, join the military, and the language gives a lot of leeway as to what qualifies as "having a plan for what comes next".

Second the state has made it very easy to apply to and be accepted to a community college. Even if you don't go, it's very simple to get an acceptance letter.

Third and most importantly,this isn't schools just throwing kids out on their ass with a "good luck, you are an adult now!" Which is arguably what our system now is like. Instead, students will spend an entire year learning about what options they have for the future and working towards them with help from teachers and administration. As stated in the article, it's also on schools to make sure every single student has an option for their future by the time graduation comes around. That is a good thing. I do expect hiccups and issues as it begins, but the benefits are huge in setting a new expectation for what high school should provide kids. Changing from "good luck child, figure it out!" To "by the time you walk out these doors, you will feel secure in knowing what the next step in your journey is."

/clap

Good post.

Top Bottom