• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School uniforms go unisex as Japanese schools seek better fit for LGBT students

Dunki

An emerging number of Japanese schools are introducing unisex uniforms or flexible uniform codes in an effort to support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

School officials hope the move will ease the mental anguish of such students, who are usually required to wear gender-based uniforms typified by jackets with stand-up collars and trousers for boys, and sailor-type outfits with skirts for girls.

At Kashiwanoha Junior High School, which opened in Kashiwa, Chiba Prefecture, in April, students can freely choose whether to wear skirts or slacks or ties or ribbons with blazers, regardless of their sex.
Originally, the school did not intend to make students wear a uniform, but had to change course because nearly 90 percent of parents and prospective students surveyed wanted one.

A panel of parents, teachers, prospective students and education board members was set up to discuss the uniform designs. Some said consideration should be paid to LGBT students and that girls should also be allowed to wear trousers because they are more practical and warmer in winter.

“We thought it would be better to let students wear something they feel comfortable in if they have to struggle to come to school because of uniforms,” said Koshin Taki, the vice principal of Kashiwanoha Junior High. “We chose a subdued color and check patterns so the uniform would be suitable for any student.”
Similar moves are spreading in Japan, with a junior high school in Fukuoka Prefecture preparing to abandon the stand-up collars and sailor suits for blazers that will let students mix and match with skirts or trousers when the April 2019 school year kicks off.

In Tokyo, the Setagaya Ward Board of Education is set to follow suit in April, while boards of education in the cities of Osaka and Fukuoka plan to broach the topic in the near future.

n-uniforms-a-20180622.jpg

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...s-seek-better-fit-lgbt-students/#.Wy4y4qczaUl

I think it is a great move it is not good when children do not want to go to school because they feel embarrased by what they have to wear. And it also shows that there is a lot of progresse going on in the world without any sort of outrage Culture like in the West.

Last edited:

Greedings

Uniforms were amazing. I genuinely miss waking up and putting on the same clothes everyday. No one would judge me for not wearing a different colour tshirt or whatever.

Panda1

Banned
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...s-seek-better-fit-lgbt-students/#.Wy4y4qczaUl

I think it is a great move it is not good when children do not want to go to school because they feel embarrased by what they have to wear. And it also shows that there is a lot of progresse going on in the world without any sort of outrage Culture like in the West.

Its amazing what a homogeneous population can do - seems like another racist Nazi policy from Japan! what a surprise they are doing it without resorting to name calling - what savages!

Dunki

Uniforms were amazing. I genuinely miss waking up and putting on the same clothes everyday. No one would judge me for not wearing a different colour tshirt or whatever.
Uniforms in schools can reduce bullying to a fair amount sicne much of it is also because of the clothing your wear or can not afford etc. I actually would prefer uniforms in schools

TheMikado

Banned
Its amazing what a homogeneous population can do - seems like another racist Nazi policy from Japan! what a surprise they are doing it without resorting to name calling - what savages!

What does this have to do with race? We have school uniforms in the states as well.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Japan can't take people in. They are full, stop being silly guys.

TheMikado

Banned
I think it was a more sarcastic comments regarding Japan and their immigration policy etc.

Yeah got that, but it’s implying that the reason they can implement school uniforms is because they have a predominately homogeneous population. This is of course ignoring that non homogeneous countries have school uniforms and that this policy isn’t even country wide so it’s not even as if they have some type of same hive mind mentality of opinion.

The comment just didn’t make sense against actual facts or I missed the point of what they were trying to convey.

Dunki

Yeah got that, but it’s implying that the reason they can implement school uniforms is because they have a predominately homogeneous population. This is of course ignoring that non homogeneous countries have school uniforms and that this policy isn’t even country wide so it’s not even as if they have some type of same hive mind mentality of opinion.

The comment just didn’t make sense against actual facts or I missed the point of what they were trying to convey.
Just my view so take it with a grain of salt. It is also a diss ate extreme left who calls Japan very often a racist/sexist country in which women are oppressed etc. And he also said how change did happen without SJW being outraged about something like it is standrad in many western worlds.

kunonabi

Pretty sad to see this happen to those uniforms for such an unnecessary reason. Girls being able to wear pants in the winter is nice though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Interesting choice that logically extends some of the benefits of adolescent uniforming and addresses one of the detrimental aspects. I dunno about these bulky suits they decided on, though (see below). Part of figuring out your sexual orientation during adolescence involves seeing your peers in normal ways and finding who's attractive to you, right? Japan's struggling with that right now. They're all uniformed up and dysfunctionally shy already, and the whole culture is turning out both celibate and sexually hyper-fetishized. Not sure if this is a net positive when applied specifically to the existential cultural crisis they're grappling with. Japan's on the heavy-handed end of conformity and orderliness already in their educational system.

Maybe they could stand to have some open/relaxed dress codes in the mix instead. Put the Evergreen students in suits. ;b

Dunki

Pretty sad to see this happen to those uniforms for such an unnecessary reason. Girls being able to wear pants in the winter is nice though.
I think the important part is the choice they now have. I am pretty sure the vast majority of girls will still wear skirts^^

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like I glossed over the optional part, hah. That's a totally reasonable change but doesn't change the substance of my concerns above.

brap

Banned
Uniforms at my school sucked. Only reason we had to was so people would stop wearing their pants so low and hiding drugs/guns in hoodies. Those private school uniform things usually look nice though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Japan's struggling with that right now. They're all uniformed up and dysfunctionally shy already, and the whole culture is turning out both celibate and sexually hyper-fetishized. Not sure if this is a net positive when applied specifically to the existential cultural crisis they're grappling with. Japan's on the heavy-handed end of conformity and orderliness already in their educational system.
Eh, I think Japan will be fine. Those cultural concerns seem overblown to me. Until Japan's stats suggest that it is not a top performer anymore in health, safety, education, and wealth (although their happiness stats kinda suck), it doesn't seem like an existential crisis. Especially when compared with the problems other nations have.

School uniforms are a must. Here in Australia they are mandatory. Saves everybody so much time and effort. It greatly reduces bullying and schoolyard isolationism. Kids are radical identitarians and with uniform it becomes difficult to build small and opposing cliques if everybody is wearing the same thing, so you end up with very large cliques based on hobbies and interests rather than physical presentation.

As for Japan's unisex uniforms, it doesn't matter. All uniforms are butt ugly anyway as are these Japan is peddling.

Last edited:

Greedings

Do Japanese schools have school driven sports?

A couple of gay guys at my school pointed to sports being one of the things that made them realise they were gay.

the whole uniform bullying thing is bullshit. people will still be bullied with or without uniforms. you think kids are that fucking dumb to where its oh youre wearing the same clothes as me so i wont bully you anymore? also. i may be a bad guy for saying this but bullying does make for more interesting people. id rather live in a harsher world where people and their personalities get brought out a lot more because they faced a certain type of adversity than everyone is the same boring drab type of human. and before you think im a piece of shit bullying isnt a major cause of suicide as most generally believe. bring on the weird people

Greedings

the whole uniform bullying thing is bullshit. people will still be bullied with or without uniforms.

I agree. Your class or wealth is entirely visible whether you're in a uniform or not. I'm pro-uniform because I think it is a nice feeling to get up and put on "school clothes" it puts you in the mind-set. At least it did with me. I also like that I never once had to think about what I was wearing. Grey trousers? Check. White shirt? Check. Blue blazer? Done.

Funnily, it was a shock when I went to University and realised I had no fucking clothes.

I agree. Your class or wealth is entirely visible whether you're in a uniform or not. I'm pro-uniform because I think it is a nice feeling to get up and put on "school clothes" it puts you in the mind-set. At least it did with me. I also like that I never once had to think about what I was wearing. Grey trousers? Check. White shirt? Check. Blue blazer? Done.

Funnily, it was a shock when I went to University and realised I had no fucking clothes.

i do like the idea of letting peoples personalities out with what they wear and if they get to choose what they wear at that age it will be awful and if their parent choose it will even be worse. but thats the fun of being a person is finding out your identity. a uniform is just some person telling you what you need to do and im not into that

Greedings

i do like the idea of letting peoples personalities out with what they wear and if they get to choose what they wear at that age it will be awful and if their parent choose it will even be worse. but thats the fun of being a person is finding out your identity. a uniform is just some person telling you what you need to do and im not into that

Have you ever worn a uniform? It's very easy to have creative freedom while remaining within the uniform code, or bending some rules.

The cool thing about a uniform and clothing expression is that even very minor changes have a huge impact on the way you look compared to other people.

Examples:
My friend used to roll his blazer sleeves up half way. No one else did this. He claimed it, because anyone else doing it would have been accused of copying him. It may seem silly to an outsider, but to us it was massive. The teachers would tell him to put it down, and of course as soon as he left the lesson they were back up.

We could wear jumpers in winter. Initially everyone wore the normal long-sleeve black jumper, but suddenly it became cool to wear a sleeveless one. Then back to long sleeves, but with the shirt cuffs rolled up one step.
These simple things required some outside thinking. Not just going into a store and buying whatever is now "in".

JimboJones

Me and my sister are only a year apart age wise but during primary school my mum used to send my sister in with trousers during winter, no one said anything, teachers didn't care. It was kind of silly it wasn't available as part of the girls uniform but fortunately it's quite common now a days and actually is an option which is good.

I'm not sure about secondary schools, I wouldn't be surprised if trousers where an option for the girls schools but not conforming during that age of 13-17 can be pretty tough lol.

Granted this is anecdotal, but I recall a kid being bullied out of school (he was eventually beaten so bad he had to change schools) because he was always wearing torn shoes and smelled. So no, a uniform isn't going to hide your origins 100%. If you're really poverty stricken the kids will smell you.

The idea of Japanese schoolgirls wearing pants instead of skirts makes me want to cry.

But hopefully this remains optional, since I'm sure most girls will opt for skirts anyway.

Those uniforms look awful. The worst of both worlds.

I actually saw some kids wearing some decent fitting Uniforms in Japan, but for the most part the rest of the ones I saw looked ridiculous.

You don't have to go to school looking like this:

All you need is a nice t-shirt and blue jeans:

It's not hard to dress yourself. You can get a ton of t-shirts for like 5 bucks. Kids don't give a shit.

Shouta

It's amusing that Kashiwanoha JHS wanted to get rid of it all but 90% of families wanted a uniform still. It's not a surprise though because schools often put a good amount of effort into the design of uniforms and people like them a lot for that.

Disgusting. Japan was the last bastion of sanity and now the SJWs are ruining it too..

Eh, from the article its in sections of Japan but not the entirety of. Personally I'm not a fan of it (and of uniforms in general but hey...).

What I don't get is that while I can see how this could be a benefit to trans students I don't see how it benefits those who are gay/lesbian. If anything the pants for girls would likely be seen as a godsend for the winter months regardless of how they identify.

It's amusing that Kashiwanoha JHS wanted to get rid of it all but 90% of families wanted a uniform still. It's not a surprise though because schools often put a good amount of effort into the design of uniforms and people like them a lot for that.

Though it wouldn't shock me if this doesn't last long either or doesn't gain much ground other than where it has now.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

My company has uniforms. I love it. Everyone from the president to the line worker wears the same clothes. We do allow women that are part of some weird religion in my area to wear skirts, but other than that, everyone wears the exact same thing. So easy.

people who like uniforms are also people who probably have no style in real life. dad jeans with a baggy tweety bird who is dressed like a cholo t shirt. maybe a wallet with a chain

Whitecrow

Banned
All this LGTB measures are kinda awful because there are seeking for an immediate solution for a problem that is almost inherent to human/animal nature.
The best thing the world could do is an education program to make people accept and tolerate differences and give it some time.

Fore pushing ideas into people minds will mostly backfire.

Dunki

All this LGTB measures are kinda awful because there are seeking for an immediate solution for a problem that is almost inherent to human/animal nature.
The best thing the world could do is an education program to make people accept and tolerate differences and give it some time.

Fore pushing ideas into people minds will mostly backfire.
The thing is that it is usually accept just like transgender students can chose their bathroom in school as well. Of . course there will always be bullying but it is usually accepted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom