• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard Business School Case Study: Gender Equity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

For those of you who are afraid of reading, the NYTimes has kindly provided you with a video for this article! How kind of them.

This is quite a long article, so what follows is only the beginning and a few excerpts I found interesting; read the article at the source for the whole thing:

BOSTON — When the members of the Harvard Business School class of 2013 gathered in May to celebrate the end of their studies, there was little visible evidence of the experiment they had undergone for the last two years. As they stood amid the brick buildings named after businessmen from Morgan to Bloomberg, black-and-crimson caps and gowns united the 905 graduates into one genderless mass.

But during that week’s festivities, the Class Day speaker, a standout female student, alluded to “the frustrations of a group of people who feel ignored.” Others grumbled that another speechmaker, a former chief executive of a company in steep decline, was invited only because she was a woman. At a reception, a male student in tennis whites blurted out, as his friends laughed, that much of what had occurred at the school had “been a painful experience.”

He and his classmates had been unwitting guinea pigs in what would have once sounded like a far-fetched feminist fantasy: What if Harvard Business School gave itself a gender makeover, changing its curriculum, rules and social rituals to foster female success?

The country’s premier business training ground was trying to solve a seemingly intractable problem. Year after year, women who had arrived with the same test scores and grades as men fell behind. Attracting and retaining female professors was a losing battle; from 2006 to 2007, a third of the female junior faculty left.

Some students, like Sheryl Sandberg, class of ’95, the Facebook executive and author of “Lean In,” sailed through. Yet many Wall Street-hardened women confided that Harvard was worse than any trading floor, with first-year students divided into sections that took all their classes together and often developed the overheated dynamics of reality shows. Some male students, many with finance backgrounds, commandeered classroom discussions and hazed female students and younger faculty members, and openly ruminated on whom they would “kill, sleep with or marry” (in cruder terms). Alcohol-soaked social events could be worse.

“You weren’t supposed to talk about it in open company,” said Kathleen L. McGinn, a professor who supervised a student study that revealed the grade gap. “It was a dirty secret that wasn’t discussed.”

But in 2010, Drew Gilpin Faust, Harvard’s first female president, appointed a new dean who pledged to do far more than his predecessors to remake gender relations at the business school. He and his team tried to change how students spoke, studied and socialized. The administrators installed stenographers in the classroom to guard against biased grading, provided private coaching — for some, after every class — for untenured female professors, and even departed from the hallowed case-study method.

The dean’s ambitions extended far beyond campus, to what Dr. Faust called in an interview an “obligation to articulate values.” The school saw itself as the standard-bearer for American business. Turning around its record on women, the new administrators assured themselves, could have an untold impact at other business schools, at companies populated by Harvard alumni and in the Fortune 500, where only 21 chief executives are women. The institution would become a laboratory for studying how women speak in group settings, the links between romantic relationships and professional status, and the use of everyday measurement tools to reduce bias.

“We have to lead the way, and then lead the world in doing it,” said Frances Frei, her words suggesting the school’s sense of mission but also its self-regard. Ms. Frei, a popular professor turned administrator who had become a target of student ire, was known for the word “unapologetic,” as in: we are unapologetic about the changes we are making.

By graduation, the school had become a markedly better place for female students, according to interviews with more than 70 professors, administrators and students, who cited more women participating in class, record numbers of women winning academic awards and a much-improved environment, down to the male students drifting through the cafeteria wearing T-shirts celebrating the 50th anniversary of the admission of women. Women at the school finally felt like, “ ‘Hey, people like me are an equal part of this institution,’ ” said Rosabeth Moss Kanter, a longtime professor.

And yet even the deans pointed out that the experiment had brought unintended consequences and brand new issues. The grade gap had vaporized so fast that no one could quite say how it had happened. The interventions had prompted some students to revolt, wearing “Unapologetic” T-shirts to lacerate Ms. Frei for what they called intrusive social engineering. Twenty-seven-year-olds felt like they were “back in kindergarten or first grade,” said Sri Batchu, one of the graduating men.

Students were demanding more women on the faculty, a request the deans were struggling to fulfill. And they did not know what to do about developments like female students dressing as Playboy bunnies for parties and taking up the same sexual rating games as men. “At each turn, questions come up that we’ve never thought about before,” Nitin Nohria, the new dean, said in an interview.

The administrators had no sense of whether their lessons would last once their charges left campus. As faculty members pointed out, the more exquisitely gender-sensitive the school environment became, the less resemblance it bore to the real business world. “Are we trying to change the world 900 students at a time, or are we preparing students for the world in which they are about to go?” a female professor asked.

[...]

Women at Harvard did fine on tests. But they lagged badly in class participation, a highly subjective measure that made up 50 percent of each final mark. Every year the same hierarchy emerged early on: investment bank and hedge fund veterans, often men, sliced through equations while others — including many women — sat frozen or spoke tentatively. The deans did not want to publicly dwell on the problem: that might make the women more self-conscious. But they lectured about respect and civility, expanded efforts like the hand-raising coaching and added stenographers in every class so professors would no longer rely on possibly biased memories of who had said what.

[...]

After years of observation, administrators and professors agreed that one particular factor was torpedoing female class participation grades: women, especially single women, often felt they had to choose between academic and social success.

One night that fall, Ms. Navab, who had laughed off the hand-raising seminar, sat at an Ethiopian restaurant wondering if she had made a bad choice. Her marketing midterm exam was the next day, but she had been invited on a very business-school kind of date: a new online dating service that paired small groups of singles for drinks was testing its product. Did Ms. Navab want to come? “If I were in college, I would have said let’s do this after the midterm,” she said later.

But she wanted to meet someone soon, maybe at Harvard, which she and other students feared could be their “last chance among cream-of-the-crop-type people,” as she put it. Like other students, she had quickly discerned that her classmates tended to look at their social lives in market terms, implicitly ranking one another. And like others, she slipped into economic jargon to describe their status.

The men at the top of the heap worked in finance, drove luxury cars and advertised lavish weekend getaways on Instagram, many students observed in interviews. Some belonged to the so-called Section X, an on-again-off-again secret society of ultrawealthy, mostly male, mostly international students known for decadent parties and travel.

Women were more likely to be sized up on how they looked, Ms. Navab and others found. Many of them dressed as if Marc Jacobs were staging a photo shoot in a Technology and Operations Management class. Judging from comments from male friends about other women (“She’s kind of hot, but she’s so assertive”), Ms. Navab feared that seeming too ambitious could hurt what she half-jokingly called her “social cap,” referring to capitalization.

“I had no idea who, as a single woman, I was meant to be on campus,” she said later. Were her priorities “purely professional, were they academic, were they to start dating someone?”

As she scooped bread at the product-trial-slash-date at the Ethiopian restaurant, she realized that she had not caught the names of the men at the table. The group drank more and more. The next day she took the test hung over, her performance a “disaster,” she joked.

The deans did not know how to stop women from bartering away their academic promise in the dating marketplace, but they wanted to nudge the school in a more studious, less alcohol-drenched direction. “We cannot have it both ways,” said Youngme Moon, the dean of the M.B.A. program. “We cannot be a place that claims to be about leadership and then say we don’t care what goes on outside the classroom.”

[...]

Breaking the Ice

One day in April 2012, the entire first-year class, including Brooke Boyarsky, a Texan known for cracking up her classmates with a mock PowerPoint presentation, reported to classrooms for a mandatory discussion about sexual harassment. As students soon learned, one woman had confided to faculty members that a male student she would not identify had groped her in an off-campus bar months before. Rather than dismissing the episode, the deans decided to exploit it: this was their chance to discuss the drinking scene and its consequences. “They could not have gone any more front-page than this,” Ms. Boyarsky said later.

Everyone in Ms. Boyarsky’s classes knew she was incisive and funny, but within the campus social taxonomy, she was overlooked — she was overweight and almost never drank much, stayed out late or dated. After a few minutes of listening to the stumbling conversation about sexual harassment, she raised her hand to make a different point, about the way the school’s social life revolved around appearance and money.

“Someone made the decision for me that I’m not pretty or wealthy enough to be in Section X,” she told her classmates, her voice breaking.

The room jumped to life. The students said they felt overwhelmed by the wealth that coursed through the school, the way it seemed to shape every aspect of social life — who joined activities that cost hundreds of dollars, who was invited to the parties hosted by the student living in a penthouse apartment at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Boston. Some students would never have to seek work at all — they were at Harvard to learn to invest their families’ fortunes — and others were borrowing thousands of dollars a year just to keep up socially.

The discussion broke the ice, just not on the topic the deans had intended. “Until then, no one else had publicly said ‘Section X,’ ” Mr. Batchu said. Maybe it was because class was easier to talk about than gender, or maybe it was because class was the bigger divide — at the school and in the country.

That was only one out of 10 sessions. At most of the others, the men contributed little. Some of them, and even a few women, had grown to openly resent the deans’ emphasis on gender, using phrases like “ad nauseam” and “shoved down our throats,” protesting that this was not what they had paid to learn.

[...]

“I’d like to be candid, but I paid half a million dollars to come here,” another man said in an interview, counting his lost wages. “I could blow up my network with one wrong comment.” The men were not insensitive, they said; they just considered the discussion a poor investment of their carefully hoarded social capital. Mr. Erker used the same words as many other students had to describe the mandatory meetings: “forced” and “patronizing.”

[...]

The first year of their experiment was ending with a catastrophe that brought home how little sway they really had over students’ actions. Mr. Bihlmaier had not even been the drinking type. In the spirit of feminist celebration, Ms. Sandberg gave a graduation address at the deans’ invitation, but during the festivities all eyes were on Mr. Bihlmaier’s widow, visibly pregnant with their first child.

Amid all the turmoil, though, the deans saw cause for hope. The cruel classroom jokes, along with other forms of intimidation, were far rarer. Students were telling them about vigorous private conversations that had flowed from the halting public ones. Women’s grades were rising — and despite the open resentment toward the deans, overall student satisfaction ratings were higher than they had been for years.

[...]

This was the lopsided situation that women in business school were facing: in intellectual prestige, they were pulling even with or outpacing male peers, but they were not “touching the money,” as Nori Gerardo Lietz, a real estate private equity investor and faculty member, put it. A few alumnae had founded promising start-ups like Rent the Runway, an evening wear rental service, but when it came to reaping big financial rewards, most women were barely in the game.

At an extracurricular presentation the year before, a female student asked William Boyce, a co-founder of Highland Capital Partners, a venture capital firm, for advice for women who wanted to go into his field. “Don’t,” he laughed, according to several students present. Male partners did not want them there, he continued, and he was doing them a favor by warning them.

In spite of some of the missteps, administrative overreaches, and students feeling overmanaged, it did seem to have some really positive effects - improving student satisfaction, increasing female representation at top grade levels, and a more welcoming culture.

Thank you for posting this study Mumei. It's very telling that a topic on Gucci Mane gets 17 pages, and this one not a single reply.

Some of the most important parts are women feeling like there is a trade-off socially between being smart/outspoken and playing along with the culture in the school. This is not 1972 but 2013, sadly.

First post nails it again. It's as if this topic makes people uncomfortable. Hmm... Wonder why...

Not surprising though. Nice to see the deans making an effort and the results.

First post nails it again. It's as if this topic makes people uncomfortable. Hmm... Wonder why...

I think it's that when it comes down to it, gossiping and talking about rumors of famous people is more interesting in general. Implying that they're scared to respond..isn't..constructive.

Maybe because people like you take start taking shots before anyone has even said anything.

Thanks for this article I'm going to share it!

It says the grade gap "vaporized", but what was the exact causation of the gap in the first place?

Very informative article, thank you for posting this! I'll be reposting it on a current events/politics board I visit which will get right into the discussion I think! This topic deserves some good conversation, more than it's getting here! (I can provide a link to it if people want to visit it, but I don't want to be seen as site-spamming or something)

Pau

The culture in these schools attended by young adults who have been born to massive quantities of wealth sounds like something out of a bad satire.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Very interesting. Brave move on the part of the deans, good on them for doing what they can.

I'd suggest that there would be a practical limit to what the deans (so weird reading my name throughout this article) can do.

A good amount of its culture will be shaped by the wealthy (usually unearned) nature of its students (also why class was easier to discuss), amongst whom I think you are likely to have a greater sense of (I hate this word) entitlement and ignorance, which would translate into unwittingly creating a more hostile culture for women. Of course this is a generalisation, but I think there is some truth in it. Also, the way economics/business students talk, in my experience, is depressingly uncreative: good to see this can apply to Harvard too.

entremet

The culture in these schools attended by young adults who have been born to massive quantities of wealth sounds like something out of a bad satire.
You should read Quiet. It has a huge section on Harvard Business School and its peculiarities.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yet many Wall Street-hardened women confided that Harvard was worse than any trading floor, with first-year students divided into sections that took all their classes together and often developed the overheated dynamics of reality shows. Some male students, many with finance backgrounds, commandeered classroom discussions and hazed female students and younger faculty members, and openly ruminated on whom they would “kill, sleep with or marry” (in cruder terms). Alcohol-soaked social events could be worse.

Twenty-seven-year-olds felt like they were “back in kindergarten or first grade,” said Sri Batchu, one of the graduating men.

Don't act like one, don't get treated like one

Zoc

Social ranking like this doesn't just happen at Harvard, unfortunately. My instinct is always to run far away whenever I see it. Here's a tip to the woman complaining about missing her chance at "cream of the crop types": you are creating this problem for yourself. There is no reason for feeling ashamed to marry a man below your "rank." I assure you that none of the men are worried about "marrying down."

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've always been a little bothered by frats and sororities and those kinds of college things. Making a dating service of some kind sounds way better for all involved than some party club. College clubs should be reserved for specific interests like hobbies and causes. This is comin from someone who went to a prestigious all boys high school that was essentially a frat. But still, anything followed by X sounds cool.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
There was a follow-up of sorts published yesterday concerning the intersection of class and gender issues at play at Harvard Business School.

Not to inundate y'all with even more quote boxes, but here are a few excerpts:

As soon as new students arrive, they are expected to write checks of $300 or $400 to their “sections,” the groups with whom they take first-year classes, if they want to participate in social events. In recent years, second-year students have organized a midwinter ski trip that costs over $1,000, while others, including members of “Section X,” a secret society of ultrawealthy students, spend far more on weekend party trips to places like Iceland and Moscow. Tickets to the winter ball, called Holidazzle, have cost $200 or more in recent years.

When Christina Wallace, now the director of the Startup Institute, attended Harvard Business School on a scholarship, she was told by her classmates that she needed to spend more money to fully participate, and that “the difference between a good experience and a great experience is only $20,000.”

“A pervasive problem,” a member of the class of 2013 wrote on nytimes.com. Another member of the class said that she had borrowed tens of thousands of dollars a year to keep up socially, and that she never invited classmates to her parents’ home nearby because she did not feel it was lavish enough.

Many alumni from decades ago, including Suzy Welch, a former editor of The Harvard Business Review, said they were startled by the culture of spending that was depicted in the article, including the news that one student had lived in a penthouse apartment at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Boston. When Ms. Welch graduated in 1988, money mattered, she said in post on Twitter, “but conspicuous consumption events were rare.”

A reader named Ken H said that the tone at the school in the 1970s was downright egalitarian, and that anyone who “flashed money around” would have earned jeers. “Maybe what has changed isn’t so much H.B.S., but America,” he said.

The Harvard Business School student body is at least somewhat economically diverse, with 65 percent of students on financial aid, receiving an average grant of $60,000 over the two-year program, according to a spokesman. (Tuition costs more than $50,000 per year.)

Many Harvard business students and readers were especially troubled by Section X, and the idea that even within the extremely elite confines of one of the nation’s premier business schools, the ultrawealthy are segregating themselves.

“There is this underbelly at H.B.S. of extremely wealthy individuals — spoiler alert, I am not one of them,” said Brooke Boyarsky, who delivered a triumphant speech at graduation about social change at the school.

According to students, the members are mostly male and mostly international students from South America, the Middle East and Asia. They organize “the real parties, the parties where it’s a really limited list, the extravagant vacations — I mean really extravagant,” she said. (No students interviewed admitted to being members of the group, though some said they had attended its parties.)

“More than once I heard that ‘the only middle-class students here are the Americans,'” another recent graduate said.

Asked in an interview about Section X, Nitin Nohria, the school’s dean, sounded crestfallen because he had hoped the group had disappeared. “I thought it had pretty much been on its fingernail edges,” he said.

It seems like they've got a rather Byzantine set of issues going on there, to the point that I'm not entirely sure what to say about it.

Good on them for trying to address the problems, but I can't say I envy their position.

Zoe

Gotta admit, this made me laugh:
And they did not know what to do about developments like female students dressing as Playboy bunnies for parties and taking up the same sexual rating games as men.

It says the grade gap "vaporized", but what was the exact causation of the gap in the first place?

Sounds like participation grades for the most part. The rest came from intervention.

I can't say if the problem was WORSE at Harvard, but as a fine arts student at a state school, I can say that "Fuck/marry/kill" is a pretty common game for students of both genders to play, regardless of circumstance. So its inclusion in this article as an example of the sexism of the environment may be overzealous.

kirblar

But she wanted to meet someone soon, maybe at Harvard, which she and other students feared could be their “last chance among cream-of-the-crop-type people,” as she put it. Like other students, she had quickly discerned that her classmates tended to look at their social lives in market terms, implicitly ranking one another. And like others, she slipped into economic jargon to describe their status.
Because it doesn't translate into "$" on a balance sheet, it really seems like the higher opportunity cost for female students re: reproduction tends to get ignored when looking at these issues. If a guy wants to have kids, he can wait till he's 35-40 and loaded without many conseuences. Women don't have that option, and you can see it play out in career decisions and priorities.

Social ranking like this doesn't just happen at Harvard, unfortunately. My instinct is always to run far away whenever I see it. Here's a tip to the woman complaining about missing her chance at "cream of the crop types": you are creating this problem for yourself. There is no reason for feeling ashamed to marry a man below your "rank." I assure you that none of the men are worried about "marrying down."
Many women among the upper/upper-middle classes follow a pattern where they'll marry someone of equal/greater social ranking, then (because the partner is a high earner and can easily support a family on one income) they'll withdraw from the labor force for a period of time while bearing/rearing children, only to re-enter it later on. This isn't a bad thing or anything, and it's rational behavior.

The Technomancer

I can't say if the problem was WORSE at Harvard, but as a fine arts student at a state school, I can say that "Fuck/marry/kill" is a pretty common game for students of both genders to play, regardless of circumstance. So its inclusion in this article as an example of the sexism of the environment may be overzealous.

Whats interesting to me is just how little I notice of this in engineering school. Maybe I'm just really oblivious, but maybe not

squidyj

Sometimes when something is systemic like this people have to "pay" for the sins of others. And if that payment was sexual harassment seminars, well, I'm not going to shed too many tears. Oh no, he felt his dignity was somewhat affronted.

are you suggesting individual males providing feedback on their experiences of this social experiment is not valuable?

just shut up and deal with it, is that it?

jay

My interest in gender equality made me read it but my distaste for overachieving rich people still seeped in.

“last chance among cream-of-the-crop-type people”

I hope she failed her test.

The Technomancer

Still waiting to hear about The Batcher's exploits.

Its a generalized comment about the sentiment the article claims a not-insignificant part of the student body holds as put into words by one specific guy, and no community like this can exist without the tacit approval of most of even its non-participating members. Hell, see the quote about how different Harvard culture "used to be"

Zoc

Because it doesn't translate into "$" on a balance sheet, it really seems like the higher opportunity cost for female students re: reproduction tends to get ignored when looking at these issues. If a guy wants to have kids, he can wait till he's 35-40 and loaded without many conseuences. Women don't have that option, and you can see it play out in career decisions and priorities.

Many women among the upper/upper-middle classes follow a pattern where they'll marry someone of equal/greater social ranking, then (because the partner is a high earner and can easily support a family on one income) they'll withdraw from the labor force for a period of time while bearing/rearing children, only to re-enter it later on. This isn't a bad thing or anything, and it's rational behavior.

Harvard Business School is wasting its time on women who only want to have kids and a second-rank career, then. It supposed to be for people aiming at the top. If the world wants businesses and countries run by women, they have to accept that those women have to put work first. That doesn't mean not having kids, but it does mean having a husband to take care of the family, not one who is also putting work first.

squidyj

Seems like they achieved really positive results overall, I hope other schools can learn something from what they did here, although a lot of it seems to be on the shoulders of a massive work effort by a few individuals, I'm not sure how replicable that would be.

JMalerich

Neo Member
Women feeling comfortable and able to express their views is mostly a good thing (obviously there are exceptions). Especially in high-powered, male dominated sectors (like banking). Having a different perspective offered at a meeting can alter the outcomes of projects, products, you name it. Hopefully this study can become more prevalent at smaller, less prestigious universities/colleges.

Mumei

Oh. I'm glad this topic ended up getting a bit of attention. I had sort of marked it down as a loss.

From the article:

Women at Harvard did fine on tests. But they lagged badly in class participation, a highly subjective measure that made up 50 percent of each final mark.

After years of observation, administrators and professors agreed that one particular factor was torpedoing female class participation grades: women, especially single women, often felt they had to choose between academic and social success.

There was a follow-up of sorts published yesterday concerning the intersection of class and gender issues at play at Harvard Business School.

Thanks, I hadn't seen this.

Working in Banking, I can affirm that the only high-powered women in my entire arm of the Bank have to be more ruthless and command double the respect that men do. Other than that, women are limited to support roles and monotonous tasks such as Loan Administration.

These are things that permeate all across our culture, and not just Harvard.

Mumei

Working in Banking, I can affirm that the only high-powered women in my entire arm of the Bank have to be more ruthless and command double the respect that men do. Other than that, women are limited to support roles and monotonous tasks such as Loan Administration.

These are things that permeate all across our culture, and not just Harvard.

The September issue of Harvard Business review has an article about issues that hold women back in leadership positions:

ESTBlog7-I1.jpg

I can't seem to find it online, but there is this blog post (and a 27 minute Youtube video embedded).

i attended a business school that has a reputation for being less cutthroat than hbs. i dont know that we looked at the grade gap between genders, but grades dont matter THAT much in business school generally, in my experience. most schools have a high pass/pass/fail system and do not release grades to employers. and it was up to individual professors, but in general my school placed less emphasis on participation.

i guess my point is that hbs is worth looking at because it is so influential in the business community, but i wonder how much of a problem this is in the rest of the business school world. either way i am glad they are tackling it.

in terms of money and class issues, i feel like i experienced that more as a subtle undercurrent. we had ski trips and class trips and stuff. i was paying my own way so i skipped some of that stuff, but there were plenty of cheaper socializing routes one could take to make friends or build a network.

daycru

Its a generalized comment about the sentiment the article claims a not-insignificant part of the student body holds as put into words by one specific guy, and no community like this can exist without the tacit approval of most of even its non-participating members. Hell, see the quote about how different Harvard culture "used to be"
Still waiting.

The Technomancer

Still waiting.

For what? An apology? Fine, I'm sorry I took the statement of one guy that the article used to represent the feelings of a portion of the student body and implied that perhaps the student body would not feel that way if they had not allowed such an environment to flourish.

ronito

I will say that the Harvard Business review is so auto-fellatory to its readers its hard to take them serious.But we''ll have to see what they say.

The September issue of Harvard Business review has an article about issues that hold women back in leadership positions:

ESTBlog7-I1.jpg

I can't seem to find it online, but there is this blog post (and a 27 minute Youtube video embedded).

ExecutivePayGap-800x550.png

A new Bloomberg report finds that out of the top executives at each of the companies in the S&P 500 index, only 8 percent were women, and that these women at the top ranks of Corporate America earned 18 percent less than men. It sounds like another story about businesses’ struggle to promote and pay women fairly.

But here’s the original headline Bloomberg came up with: “Best-Paid Women in S&P 500 Settle for Less with 18 percent pay gap.” (emphasis added) The first voice introduced in the story is Dawn Lepore, former chief executive at Drugstore.com, saying, “I was always focused on negotiating for my team but never as good at negotiating for myself.”

It’s true that women often don’t bargain hard enough for higher pay, as shown by a number of studies and a terrific book called “Women Don’t Ask” by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever. The word is out, and solutions (hatched mostly by women) are already in the works, like coaching young women on how to get negotiate better before they enter the workforce.

But consider that women at the very top of the S&P 500 are probably among the best negotiators in the world, given their day jobs. And even if some of them might feel shy sometimes about asking for more money, the idea that their unwillingness to negotiate can account for an 18 percent pay gap flies in the face of study after study showing that gender inequality isn’t the result of women being scared to stand up for themselves. It’s subtle biases that inform how we all — men and women — evaluate one another.

Take one famous study about letters of recommendation for medical faculty at a large U.S. medical school in the mid-1990s. The authors of the study found that women candidates were more likely to be complimented for what they call “grindstone adjectives”: words like “hardworking,” “conscientious,” “dependable,” “meticulous,” “diligent,” “dedicated,” “careful.” They were also often praised for being “team players” and “collaborative.” The men, by contrast, were more likely to be described with “standout adjectives,” like “outstanding,” “superb,” or “exceptional.”​

whomp whomp

This was a fascinating article, and I was surprised by how deeply the social and financial status issues intersected. Some of the comments even seemed a bit like caricatures, especially when students would describe approaching relationships or social gatherings in economic terms. At that level of income and business though, social capital is probably more valuable than the actual education so I suppose that can be expected. And it makes the dilemmas faced by the female students all the more difficult.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Great article.

Agree. If you are there to marry the wealthiest guy you can attract, and are willing to compromise your own personal development in the process, then I don't know what that says about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom