• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] More than a billion people worldwide are obese, WHO study finds

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yes you may be obese and Fabulous but you're also a walking time bomb.

And don't gimme that excuse of a disease or hereditary stuff when you gobble a gallon of Häagen-Dazs while watching TV.

I always saw obese people as disraught and hiding a much deeper issue, much like alcoholism.

poodaddy

I mean - are you obese or not? Because CrossFit is not exactly the recommended cross-training together with endurance running.
He's not obese and you know it, you're deliberately missing the point, and I'm saying that as someone who thinks CrossFit is fucking retarded due to the insane injury rate that exceeds rugby injury stats. The fact is, if you have any substantial amount of muscle, you're gonna be considered "obese" by ridiculous BMI standards. When I was in the Army, I was maxing the PT test for a small period of time. In terms of lifting, I've had an almost 1200 pound total, (goddamn never did hit my deadlift or squat goals but I digress), and I can still handle intense conditioning better than your average "runner." I'm definitely considered obese by BMI standards, and I don't give a shit as I know how healthy I am, at least physically, and my stats are fantastic. For anyone curious, I've posted a picture of me with my daughter if you wanna see what my "obesity" looks like.

BMI is obsolete, and to be honest it was the very day it was conceived, and when I was getting my Exercise Science degree we were literally tought that in school, so that's University curriculum saying that. Lean muscle mass is relevant, basal metabolic rate is relevant, resting heart rate is relevant, performance metrics are relevant; BMI means fuck diddly all and these types of stories always completely rely on it to get the easy shock clicks. It's disingenuous at best and actively dishonest and unethical at worst.

There is a major public health crisis that needs to be addressed, but generating clickbait nonsense that spreads misinformation and miseducates the public like this is not helping in any capacity.

Folks, focus not on the scale and not on your BMI, focus on what you can do. If you can run a decent distance without dying, if you can lift decent weight, if you can handle your body weight for reps, and you're eating a balanced diet, (not fuckin carnivore, ketosis, or vegan), that includes plenty of lean protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, and lots of leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, and roots, well then you're doing everything right that you're in control of. Folks tend to overthink and overcomplicate this shit, and articles like this aren't helping.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This is what happens when you call Fat, Overweight and Obese people "Plus-size" and congratulate them on spreading body positivity images.

Saw a video where a mother was feeding her kid donuts for breakfast and then you wonder where all the sugar addicts are coming from.

Okay, where are social services at

DavidGzz

Hmmm.... Pics?

Peoples definition of overweight has gotten skewed over the years

I would think if you are 5'8 175lbs even if you are carrying a ton of muscle you are still probably slightly overweight

You can definitely be lean and muscular at 175 and his height. I'm only an inch taller and ~204 in my pfp. I don't have a full 6 pack but think I'm lean enough to be considered healthy.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
You can definitely be lean and muscular at 175 and his height. I'm only an inch taller and ~204 in my pfp. I don't have a full 6 pack but think I'm lean enough to be considered healthy.
Not saying you aren't healthy, but you're definitely overweight.

My point is our version of what we think a "normal" body is getting more and more skewed to the point where if you are "normal" you are essentially shamed by your peers for being too small

Our bodies has evolved over millions of years to look like this

KAZdl6I.jpg
8T5V9A4.jpg

Essentially everyone you know is overweight and we've constructed a society that sets everybody up for failure

ReBurn

Gold Member
You can eat any food and have it fit your macro's.

I think the real issue is over-indulgence and a lack of physical activity for most folks.

If I over eat, I know at some point in the week, I'll have to run a couple of miles.
Sometimes when my Apple Watch is nagging me to stand up and move for a minute I just move my arm back and forth so it thinks I'm doing it.

My point is our version of what we think a "normal" body is getting more and more skewed to the point where if you are "normal" you are essentially shamed by your peers for being too small

KAZdl6I.jpg
8T5V9A4.jpg

Essentially everyone you know is overweight and we've constructed a society that sets everybody up for failure
I like to think that these people have adapted to famine and that's why they are shaped differently. Mind you, I don't know what I'm talking about but that's just my two cents. That energy has to be stored somewhere.

DavidGzz

KAZdl6I.jpg
8T5V9A4.jpg

Lean mass is health. I'm 42 years old and my last blood panel in '22 was perfect. I need to do everything I can to keep as much as possible as I age. Sarcopenia is inevitable but the more I can maintain, the less worse off I'll be as I age.

Btw, Jeff Cavaliere is about 180 pounds and I'd say he's one of the healthiest people Ive seen. Not everyone wants to look slightly emaciated. We aren't hunter gatherers anymore and it's not like their lifespan was anything to brag about.

T-0800

I keep saying it but America wants people fat.

good for the medical industry. And pharmaceutical companies.

Also the whole cheap shit being less expensive than the fruit and veg is mental. I went to American supermarkets like five dollars for some grapes but chips and chocolate you can buy it cheaper.

Countries where there is preventative medicine they want people thinner.

But crap food ingredients are everywhere now.

This whole body positivity and anti science thing is mental.

I’m overweight I know this. But I don’t want to be. So I’m exercising.
You can never really exercise enough to counteract a poor diet. If you want to lose weight eat better and eat less.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Lean mass is health. I'm 42 years old and my last blood panel in '22 was perfect. I need to do everything I can to keep as much as possible as I age. Sarcopenia is inevitable but the more I can maintain, the less worse off I'll be as I age.

Btw, Jeff Cavaliere is about 180 pounds and I'd say he's one of the healthiest people Ive seen. Not everyone wants to look slightly emaciated. We aren't hunter gatherers anymore and it's not like their lifespan was anything to brag about.
Yes obviously that guy is carrying an unnatural amount of muscle (copious amounts of supplements / anabolic steroids). If he's 5'8 180 you could still argue it's taxing on his heart and still "over weight"

You think the people in the picture are emaciated?

Last edited:

poodaddy

This. Goddammit so much this.

So many people with no health or kinesiology education giving advice on how to be healthy and it is this simple.

You want muscle folks. You want at least enough body fat to survive a horrible illness should the worst happen. You do NOT want a belly distended from starvation....that is not health, it is an emergency protocol that the body engages to try and survive. You don't want to be fat, that's obvious, and this silky mom shit, whatever the fuck that is, is full blown crazy. It's also full blown crazy to think that looking like a strung out junkie in terms of body fat is healthy, it is not.

Again, stop focusing on weight and BMI people, focus on what you can do. Get your athleticism about you, get strong, get powerful, get agile, get durable, and you will get healthy in the process if your nutrition is good.

If the person telling you that you're overweight or unhealthy can't do what you can do, promptly laugh in their face and ignore them, and continue training; their health is not your health.

Last edited:

Griffon

Fat people are good for business, they consume a lot and die nice and early so they don't need retirement benefits.

BMI isn’t stupid, it’s a good rule of thumb for the vast majority of people. It’s useful if all you have is a balance and some measuring tape. If you’ve got something that can get accurate BF%, great, that should be the gold standard. But you could accurately assess that the vast majority of people >190lbs are overweight
If all you have is a measuring tape you're probably better off measuring the waist and factoring it in.. or hell I mean they're already there... just fucking look at em. Poke em in the belly with your finger. BMI is for looking at populations, not for figuring out if a fatty boombatty is right there in front of you.

tamago84

Fat people are good for business, they consume a lot and die nice and early so they don't need retirement benefits.
Yep, food, medical, corporate industries all win. I guess health insurance companies lose unless they just deny everything or raise all premiums like car/home insurance companies are doing

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Yes obviously that guy is carrying an unnatural amount of muscle (copious amounts of supplements / anabolic steroids). If he's 5'8 180 you could still argue it's taxing on his heart and still "over weight"

You think the people in the picture are emaciated?

https://rippedbody.com/maximum-muscular-potential/

Now keep in mind, you can be 30-50 pounds heavier than these stats and still look huge and ripped. These stats are for people ready to jump on a bodybuilding stage with striated glutes lol, something I'm about 30-40 pounds away from in my profile pic for example.

Nah, you'd be saying I am also on copious amount of steroids. Nah, fuck drugs. Maybe quit running every day and try to put on muscle for 10+ years and you'll see, it doesn't take roids to reach near your genetic potential.

And yes, a guy who looks like he has to run after his food and only eats one large meal a day after he finally finds it looks slightly emaciated to me. It's all relative. If you run every day and don't chase muscle gains, it may look normal to you.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Bro, the guy is roided AF.

Nah, someone like Sam Sulek is roided AF. Jeff is like 5'11 178 last I saw not 5'11" and 255 like Sam. Huge difference. Now, does he maybe take something to keep himself that lean year round? Likely, but do those stats require being roided AF? Nope. He is well within the FFMI of a long time lifter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom