• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC Sees Significant Increase of Obese Americans, Reveals Most Overweight State

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The food that is the healthiest for us is either relatively expensive or is usually time consuming to make/clean up. Meanwhile the food that is the worst for us is either cheap or is usually extremely convenient to make/clean up.

Add that to fact that most people are working their asses off/watching their spending thanks to inflation/gas prices and you get a perfect storm of people just choosing convenience and money over their health.

And that will continue to be the case until changes are made.

pkJFTkg.jpg
qt0v60Z.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm guessing hashimoto is slow metabolism as a disease...
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.
It’s an autoimmune diseases that causes hour thyroid gland to lose function, and since thyroid hormones are literal fuel for the body and a key factor in metabolism, a hypofunctioning thyroid gland will make you gain weight very easily and very hard to lose weight. It also messes up with your body in many other ways. It’s literally deadly if untreated, even if it usually takes many years to get to that point.

MacReady13

Imagine a world where fat, unhealthy celebrities come out and say that having the body you want is a positive thing... I just cannot fathom anyone with a fifth of a brain promoting an unhealthy and lazy, fat lifestyle and body weight/size. People like Lizzo can go and get stuffed promoting this unhealthy bullshit. 1 round of diabetes and see how quick they change their tune...

I went on a strict diet for 3 months eating a big salad of dark leafy greens with canned sardines and extra virgin olive oil, red meat/organs, while snacking on goat/sheep cheese.

I was the healthiest I ever been and bested my body composition numbers. 16% body fat and a BMI of 25 (muscular build). I also reversed my pre-diabetic number from 5 something to 3 something.

bitbydeath

Losing weight can be hard but not gaining weight in the first place is actually quite easy. If you’re not diving in on frequent fatty foods every few days or eating til your tummy feels bloated then you won’t be in a situation where you need to lose a lot of weight.

It’s all laziness.

Outlier

Fast Food should be expensive.
Healthy food should be cheap.

Why the fuck is it the other way around.
Demand and supply.

It is the fault of society that so many people want easy and fast access to food, so businesses found ways to satisfy those desires. Unfortunately the easy path tends to be the least fruitful.

belmarduk

Assumptions.

Doubt you’ve heard much of anything because you always come off as an ignorant cunt.

Oh wow. How could I have missed this gem of a post. Sorry if it upsets you, whole milk, but BMI is the best metric to determine fitness unless someone is an extreme bodybuilder.. which, let’s be honest: you are not.

Oh wow. How could I have missed this gem of a post. Sorry if it upsets you, whole milk, but BMI is the best metric to determine fitness unless someone is an extreme bodybuilder.. which, let’s be honest: you are not.
To be fair BMI is also a tad shit for tall and short people. It is true however that most people who complain about it are light bending land whales.

Chronicle

Fat ignorant Americans..... ugh.
I always find it amazing how fat people can become.

I'm overweight myself by a good 40 lbs. I eat junk half the time, dont exercise, worked at home sitting on my ass for 2 years due to covid (back at the office half the time since earlier in the year), and despite this I can only balloon up so big. I even do the evil thing and eat before bed sometimes which every fitness expert says dont do. It gets to a point eating a drinking like a pig SHOULD make you feel like shit that night and you stop. The human body should be making people feel lousy or even throw up if youre constantly eating adding 300 lbs to your frame. But they just keep eating.

In order to get fat to 300, 400, 500+ lbs you got to be eating like crazy like having two lunches or two dinners per day.
All you need to so is walk more. Just walk everywhere. Walk to get something to eat. Just keep walking and the pounds will come off.

Blade2.0

process foods being the cheapest + low wages + overworked + sedentary lifestyles in and out of the office = Fat people. Sugar in everything doesn't help either. in the 60s when most things were fat-based, people were smaller with the exact same amount of calorie intake.

Swift_Star

Banned
It's West Virginia!

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released data showing that more than seven in 10 (73.6 percent) United States adults aged 20 or older are either overweight or obese. Although the rates in children and adolescents have decreased, the rates overall have seen a drastic rise in recent decades.

Obesity costs the health care system around $173 billion per year, and the diet and weight loss control industries rake in around $72 billion, according to WalletHub. That website also chronicled the most obese and least obese states in the nation, with West Virginia falling in the former category and Utah in the latter.

The recent CDC reporting also shows that around 72.2 million Americans over the age of 6 were completely inactive in 2021, and lack of physical activity remains a leading cause of obesity.

Yahoo!

That's pretty fuckin' sad, bro. Gonna need to move those jellyrolls!
KmOTgoA.jpg
Go to the gym and avoid processed food, people...

Swift_Star

Banned
The real problem here is not body positivism...
It's the food industry that wants us to eat fast-food and processed food and marketing them 24/7 as if that was the path of happiness, so maybe we should focus on fighting that?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love to eat fatty foods.

So I intermittent fast and shove down a few healthy things everyday. I separate eating for health and eating for pleasure and just try to squeeze both in everyday.

Then I do minimal work outs like walking every day or using my pull up bar.

The hard part, lately, is the intermittent fasting. My stomach adjusted to it for a while but lately I’ve been hungry earlier in the day again.
But it’s just a matter of discipline.

I have my own problems, as we all do, so it might be ignorant for me to question those who can’t lose weight. But It seems like such an easy win to me. Eat less, reap rewards.

But I do see a lot of denial. I heard a couple overweight people commiserating that “Doctors always say you’re overweight, man”, just last night. I can say that’s never been my experience and they are hearing that because it’s true.

But again, we all have our vices, addictions, or lapses of control, so I shouldn’t judge.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I think smoking is different than excessive eating. Shaming smokers is really shaming someone for thinking they're cool for doing it. Nobody thinks excessive eating is cool, and it's why people usually do it in hiding, and why smokers like to do it in social settings. If people start to think that eating an entire pint of ben and jerrys in one sitting is cool, then shaming and social stigma would be appropriate.
As a non-smoker or -vaper, I have been hooked on nicotine off/on for 15 years now. Let me tell you, it is easily the most addictive drug I've experienced. People might do it to look cool for like the first week or two, but after that, your body tries to convince you it's a critical need. Like trying not to breathe or sleep. Sure, the withdrawal won't kill you, but your body is signaling you like it will.

The same mechanisms are in play for overeaters. You won't die if you don't eat five large meals a day, but their bodies make cutting back incredibly uncomfortable. Like going without sleep for days uncomfortable

Aesius

process foods being the cheapest + low wages + overworked + sedentary lifestyles in and out of the office = Fat people. Sugar in everything doesn't help either. in the 60s when most things were fat-based, people were smaller with the exact same amount of calorie intake.
We eat a lot more than we used to. Portion sizes are much bigger. Average caloric consumption per adult is up almost 400 calories per day compared to 1970.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I was a chubby chaser back in the day. They were easy targets.

Now days, though, even beach whales think they're 10's. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sure. I like a chick with curves. Chubby is fine. I'd rather date a chonk than one of them breadsticks. I once picked up this girl in a bar we went back to hers. She took her top off and she had them horrible pancake tits. I says to her Christ Anne, did ya just escape the war? She didn't find that half as funny as I did

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We are entering and have been in a fit shaming, fat loving culture. Thanks in large part to social media. Thanks in a large part to a certain demo within social media. The same kind of people who say, "trust the science!" yet completely ignore it when it comes to their bodies and the objective facts about obesity being unhealthy. Fuck those assholes.

TylerD

You guys are milking these cattle jokes.

It’s a little too cheesy.

I’m in the fatphobic camp I guess due to not being attracted to fat women and wanting to not be fat. I have good self control with food and do workout around 3 times a week not including 2-2.5 mile dog walks at least every other day. Sure a little curvy is nice but the general population is overall getting really big. Finding an attractive and not fat single girl in my age range in my city is very tough.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Heart disease is killing WAY more people than Covid but no one bats an eye until they are old and all of their health parameters collapse at once then they complain about health care costs.

Blade2.0

Heart disease is killing WAY more people than Covid but no one bats an eye until they are old and all of their health parameters collapse at once then they complain about health care costs.
Probably because finding time for all the external factors that go into weight loss is difficult vs. just getting a vaccine. If all you needed was a shot to be thin, most people would be.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I’m not going to deny we have a severe health issue in this country with being overweight but it seems like they are still leaning heavily on the BMI for this.

It completely ignores bone density and muscle. It’s a flawed metric that doesn’t apply to our society or time. I got down to 175lbs to be just below “overweight” BMI at 6’ tall and everyone that knew me thought I was dying.

The average male skeleton weighs 31 pounds. The VAST majority of people don't have enough lean mass for BMI not to be accurate. I'd say it isn't accurate for less than 1% of people. I'm considered overweight with abs, but I have also been lifting consistently for 23 years.

How did you lose the weight? You may have lost enough lean mass to look a little emaciated, or it was just a shock for people because it was a huge difference since the last time that they saw you.

Aesius

The media doesn't want to report that because the food and beverage industry (which is entirely comprised of junk food) spent $2.54 billion advertising in the U.S. in 2021.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The media doesn't want to report that because the food and beverage industry (which is entirely comprised of junk food) spent $2.54 billion advertising in the U.S. in 2021.

Yeah, and if people like me tries to spread awareness, I'm just a fat shaming asshole with good genetics who has it easy. I work my ass off to be in shape.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's because people are self centered and think short term.

Killers like drunken car crashes, getting lung cancer early, and dying from overdosing on drugs can scare people because you can die at 20 years old. Ok, maybe not lung cancer, but booze and drugs can lead to death fast.

Overeating like a pig, nobody dies at a young age from it, nor does someone die from grisly looking death scenes or have black lungs.

Some people tolerate pigging out because it's a long term kind of thing (heart disease at 60 years old) and as long as they dont give a shit about being fat, they'll just keep doing it.

Anti-fat shaming is a thing too. If you're sitting somewhere and someone is blowing smoke in your face or doing drugs or downing a beer, you'd be like WTF, do that shit at home. The person may or may not stop, but there's a generally accepted thing that if someone does it in improper places the person will likely agree. If a fat person at a ballgame or airplane seat is oozing into your seat and you say WTF, stop overflowing into my seat. The chances of that person changing their perspective on life to diet to stop being too big for normal sized things is practically zero. In fact, the person will likely go into a hissyfit.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
IMO it’s office work or no work at all that leads to obesity. Or at least plays a major part. I work a very physical job and happy for it and it’s almost impossible for me to be overweight. I also believe 1 hour at the gym a day isn’t good enough. We as humans should be very active throughout our day as it’s always been apart of our livelihood since forever.

I can’t count how many of my co workers take office jobs and blow up like balloons in a couple months. It’s just not natural. They become weak and fat very quickly. That’s just from my own perspective

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
IMO it’s office work or no work at all that leads to obesity. Or at least plays a major part. I work a very physical job and happy for it and it’s almost impossible for me to be overweight. I also believe 1 hour at the gym a day isn’t good enough. We as humans should be very active throughout our day as it’s always been apart of our livelihood since forever.

I can’t count how many of my co workers take office jobs and blow up like balloons in a couple months. It’s just not natural. They become weak and fat very quickly. That’s just from my own perspective
One hour per day is actually enough. The problem is that people eat junk food and don’t exercise at all. Eating a 2000kcal burger for lunch every day will make you fat.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Agreed. In life being fit goes something like this on a sliding scale:

Super fit
- Pro athletes. They got the knowledge and trainers to help them do it too
- Physically active jobs (when driving by a construction crew, the chances of seeing a giant fat ass is low)
- Office jobbers. In every office of 100 people, I'd bet the number of fit people who eat right and work out is probably 10 people. You got maybe 30 or 40 people who are average. And you got 50 people who are obviously overweight (and some outright obese)
Fat asses

diffusionx

Gold Member

The vast majority of obesity (95%+) is because people eat more food than they need. That’s it. A donut can erase 30 minutes of hard gym work in 30 seconds. Our food needs change depending on our lifestyle obviously, and office/sedentary work means you need less food. If you don’t eat less food, you’ll gain weight. You can’t fix it in the gym.

Working out has a lot of benefits, heart health, lungs, physical strength, lowers cortisol etc., but the fallacy is that it will be a primary driver in people losing weight. Weight loss is made in the kitchen not the gym. Part of me really wonders if it was food companies that convinced America that you can run off that slice of cake so they can sell it to you.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Agreed. In life being fit goes something like this on a sliding scale:

Super fit
- Pro athletes. They got the knowledge and trainers to help them do it too
- Physically active jobs (when driving by a construction crew, the chances of seeing a giant fat ass is low)
- Office jobbers. In every office of 100 people, I'd bet the number of fit people who eat right and work out is probably 10 people. You got maybe 30 or 40 people who are average. And you got 50 people who are obviously overweight (and some outright obese)
Fat asses
I can’t imagine my life without exercising anymore. It’s so good, it makes me feel good, healthy, active. It kills anxiety and helps with depression and it also makes me feel attractive. Can’t understand why some people hate it so much. 🤷🏻‍♂️

AmuroChan

When people try to sell me that it's not unhealthy to be obese, my response is simply, do you see many obese 80 year olds? Obesity is a gateway to many other diseases and comorbidities and it is an absolute disgrace that society can't talk about it anymore because some people's feelings are hurt.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The vast majority of obesity (95%+) is because people eat more food than they need. That’s it. A donut can erase 30 minutes of hard gym work in 30 seconds. Our food needs change depending on our lifestyle obviously, and office/sedentary work means you need less food. If you don’t eat less food, you’ll gain weight. You can’t fix it in the gym.
It also doesn't help that in every office (at least the ones I've worked at) the vending machines are all junk. Pop, chocoalte bars, chips etc... Even the premade sandwiches are obviously high calorie crap like pre-cooked burgers and burritos you warm up in the microwave. The only thing healthy in the machines are maybe protein bars(?). And the free coffee has as much milk, cream and sugar packets you want.

The cafeterias are different though. They can have a mix of junk and healthy stuff like soup and salads if you want. So that part is up to them. But the quick fixes are all junk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom