• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC Sees Significant Increase of Obese Americans, Reveals Most Overweight State

DavidGzz

IMO it’s office work or no work at all that leads to obesity. Or at least plays a major part. I work a very physical job and happy for it and it’s almost impossible for me to be overweight. I also believe 1 hour at the gym a day isn’t good enough. We as humans should be very active throughout our day as it’s always been apart of our livelihood since forever.

I can’t count how many of my co workers take office jobs and blow up like balloons in a couple months. It’s just not natural. They become weak and fat very quickly. That’s just from my own perspective

Yep, not everyone has what I have at my office job. My boss bought recumbent bikes because I used to bring my own in every day. We have standing desks. So when I am not standing, I am pedaling. Only 1 other person uses a bike. I guess I am not motivating them enough, or they are embarrassed to because they are very overweight. My co-workers blow up like crazy a little after they start.

Batiman

Banned
The vast majority of obesity (95%+) is because people eat more food than they need. That’s it. A donut can erase 30 minutes of hard gym work in 30 seconds. Our food needs change depending on our lifestyle obviously, and office/sedentary work means you need less food. If you don’t eat less food, you’ll gain weight. You can’t fix it in the gym.

Working out has a lot of benefits, heart health, lungs, physical strength, lowers cortisol etc., but the fallacy is that it will be a primary driver in people losing weight. Weight loss is made in the kitchen not the gym. Part of me really wonders if it was food companies that convinced America that you can run off that slice of cake so they can sell it to you.
I agree with most of what you’re saying. But o know people that eat donuts, McDonald’s, and all kind of crap. But they’re moving and lifting heavy 8-10 hours a day. No one is is obese. They physically wouldn’t be able to do my job if they were.

And we could argue back/ knee problems from lifting but it’s the people at the desks that suffer more back pain in my experience. Im thankful for physical and I believe it’s what’s keeping me looking young and healthy.

DavidGzz

I eat donuts almost every day, pizza, fast food, cake, etc. But I count my calories and lift for 1.5-2 hours a day. CICO. My daughter works at Dunkin', I can't refuse the free donuts lol

Batiman

Banned
One hour per day is actually enough. The problem is that people eat junk food and don’t exercise at all. Eating a 2000kcal burger for lunch every day will make you fat.
I know there are studies and all that. But IMO which is not based on any scientific facts tells me 1 hour isn’t enough. When people spend 20 hours on their ass 1 hour a day just isn’t enough. Especially if you want to eat somewhat normal without living a freakishly healthy diet.

Looking at human history and any other living thing. It just doesn’t seem normal to me to be that inactive throughout a 24 hour day. One hour a day sounds very minimal. This doesn’t mean 5 hours a day at the gym. It means moving around, walking etc.

This is just my personal opinion and from my own perspective

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I know there are studies and all that. But IMO which is not based on any scientific facts tells me 1 hour isn’t enough. When people spend 20 hours on their ass 1 hour a day just isn’t enough. Especially if you want to eat somewhat normal without living a freakishly healthy diet.

Looking at human history and any other living thing. It just doesn’t seem normal to me to be that inactive throughout a 24 hour day. One hour a day sounds very minimal. This doesn’t mean 5 hours a day at the gym. It means moving around, walking etc.

This is just my personal opinion and from my own perspective
Well… that’s the tbing. I don’t eat freakishly healthy and I do 1~1:30h a day at the gym and I’m fit. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I avoid processed food and when drinking soda, I drink the sugar free ones.
Honestly, the secret is eating mostly Whole Foods. Maybe it’s harder in the US? In Brazil it isn’t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom