• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids Who Don't Spend Money in Free-to-Play Games Gett Bullied, Study Shows

mitch1971

E3cIZLkX0AACf4S.jpg
4 of these moms belong together
4 of these moms are kind of the same
But one of these moms is doing her own thing
Now it's time to play our game
It's time to play our game!!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Bullied about a video game? Man, society really has turned into a bunch of wimps. I’d rather read a story about an outcry of kids getting punched in the face for trying to mock kids about in-game purchases.

Mithos

Of course they do. That’s no different than when we were kids.
Lol you poor or what playing with stock skin ?!
Indeed the case.

Seen it personally, kids that do not have any paid "skins" in games do not get invited to play with the others (ingame), in groups/parties.

Aenima

Back in my time in elementary school ppl was kinda bullied, if they wore fake brand jeans or sneakers. Not really bullied, but they would always be target of a joke or two. Guess that kind of elitism evolved to DLC now.
Fun times when ppl was rocking those Like, Retruck or Abidas shoes.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
A reason why you disable chat features for online games your kids play.
They are getting bullied irl by their schoolmates.

Growing up I remember we used to tease the one kid in our class who didn't have a flashed Ps1 because he couldn't get as many games as everyone else and he had to "overpay"
I was that kid. But 1) I was better than anyone else at most games, 2) I actually finished the expensive games my parents bought for me, 3) I had better grades than 90% of the school. So nobody ever dreamed of bullying me for that.

cireza

I still have a CRT at home and anyone who wants to try to bully me will see it come flying at great speed towards his head.

Last edited:

Filben

It's just an extension of the teenage peer pressure of (premium) brand clothing, foods, devices and whatnot expanding onto a popular teenage hobby. I don't feel it's more unethical than what those clothing/food/device companies do with their marketing.
I generally agree. However, with other brands and product categories you know exactly what you get for a specific price tag. MTX is practically gambling. That means in order to get that brand you're being peer pressured into cost you either a dollar or hundreds of it.

So while peer pressure might push into buying the newest outfit, food or whatever, in this case you can be pushed into an addictive gamble. I know that shopping itself can also be addictive, but it is far less common than actual gamble because both work fundamentally different.

Top Bottom