• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 16-22 | Mo Money, Momochi

Goddamn, I need something to make this shitty-ass day better.

Spent all morning cleaning corrosion off my car battery because my car wouldn't start and after that didn't work I got a ride from my neightbor/co-worker to AutoZone to buy some jumper cables and got a jump from her.

After that I drove around for 30 minutes hoping to recharge my battery, drove to the post office and my car didn't want to turn over again. Tried once more and it worked and I just got home and I'm fucking starving not having eaten or drank anything all morning and all I know is that shit better fucking turn on later when I go pick up some fucking pizza.

At least I picked this up so it wasn't ALL bad today.

sXIo1Ug.jpg

Spooky is going to start with Marvel
Funky P is going to start with USF4

Niceeeeeeeeeee

Not gonna be watching it anyway, cuz March Madness is on and I'm not that much of a nerd to miss basketball to watch and cheer with thousands of other nerds as we watch random people play video games

Sayah

Sorry about the double post but

A new PSN Flash Sale is live! And you can get Tekken 2 (!!) for $0,96

Tekken 2 has not aged well. I remember playing it on my Tekken 5 disc many years ago and it was just terrible.

For whatever reason, they didn't put Tekken 3 on PSN. I would have bought that. Might have to do with Gon and copyright issues or whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This Xrd anime is one of the most painful things I've had to experience in the history of video gaming.

.la1n

Have we talked about MKX using the LabZero stick driver?

At least you won't ever play the game.

I think there is a good chance this could be huge for the game, at least in the competitive community. Capcom should take notes for when they release Ultra on PS4.

Azure J

This Xrd anime is one of the most painful things I've had to experience in the history of video gaming.

I thought it was fun. Nothing world shaking or revolutionary story wise, but fun and enough to make me want to know more about that universe. Plus as an animation nut, the way they were able to keep the illusion with those models is incredible minus a few B+ tier head turning animations here and there. One particular scene with Faust is so amazing, I still believe there's a transition from actual hand drawn animation to the 3D model and back again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought it was fun. Nothing world shaking or revolutionary story wise, but fun and enough to make me want to know more about that universe. Plus as an animation nut, the way they were able to keep the illusion with those models is incredible minus a few B+ tier head turning animations here and there. One particular scene with Faust is so amazing, I still believe there's a transition from actual hand drawn animation to the 3D model and back again.
I think what makes it painful is the presentation. The weird, inconsistent pauses in conversation, strings of bullshit/meaningless stuff devoid of any emotion/care (read: Elphelt scenes) followed by an info dump. Not really enjoying the cliches/campiness when that's usually a thing I go for too
just that anime has the worst kind of that stuff
. Maybe this visual novel style isn't for me.

The fights are cool but I wish there was a bit more of the actual animation. I'm just under halfway through I guess and
Gabriel just fought Bedman
which is cool.

At least you won't ever play the game.
You know me, just looking for excuses not to play the game I keep playing!

I don't understand how people liking (quality) anime can say Xrd story mode is great. It's shit from start to end and the "omagad it's 3D" lasts 30 minutes. Even the story itself is completely dumb with plot holes everywhere and Bedman being here to fill them.

To be honest the only two perfect things in this story mode were the scene with Gabriel and Sol riding a missile. In an universe as crazy as GGXrd's, you're waiting for this kind of thing. But instead we got Sol doing a psychoanalyst job with himself in a corridor, Sin creating puppies from thin air and Zato narrating some Beaudelaire-that-isn't-even-Beaudelaire.

Anne

By ASW standards, Xrd is Shakespeare.

It's still less than mediocre for the most part. People just liked Ram's waifu outfit and the dog.

Azure J

I think what makes it painful is the presentation. The weird, inconsistent pauses in conversation, strings of bullshit/meaningless stuff devoid of any emotion/care (read: Elphelt scenes) followed by an info dump. Not really enjoying the cliches/campiness when that's usually a thing I go for too
just that anime has the worst kind of that stuff
. Maybe this visual novel style isn't for me.

The fights are cool but I wish there was a bit more of the actual animation. I'm just under halfway through I guess and
Gabriel just fought Bedman
which is cool.

You know me, just looking for excuses not to play the game I keep playing!

I feel like if they get better at some of the actual clashing (the scenes that are clearly "stalling for new development with static DBZ exchanges" when they should have lent better to more actual action) and certain movements (seriously, it's literally just how heads and upper body movement is handled in general that trips me out), the next story mode or expansion could very well be even more of a treat.

I actually understand where you're coming from with the camp thing, I'm the same way except the more I check out GAF, the more I realize I probably have a much higher tolerance/acceptance level for camp. lol

I don't understand how people liking (quality) anime can say Xrd story mode is great. It's shit from start to end and the "omagad it's 3D" lasts 30 minutes. Even the story itself is completely dumb with plot holes everywhere and Bedman being here to fill them.

To be honest the only two perfect things in this story mode were the scene with Gabriel and Sol riding a missile. In an universe as crazy as GGXrd's, you're waiting for this kind of thing. But instead we got Sol doing a psychoanalyst job with himself in a corridor, Sin creating puppies from thin air and Zato narrating some Beaudelaire-that-isn't-even-Beaudelaire.

...lmfao this is great.

Nyoro SF

You are speaking my language right now LOL.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like if they get better at some of the actual clashing (the scenes that are clearly "stalling for new development with static DBZ exchanges" when they should have lent better to more actual action) and certain movements (seriously, it's literally just how heads and upper body movement is handled in general that trips me out), the next story mode or expansion could very well be even more of a treat.

I actually understand where you're coming from with the camp thing, I'm the same way except the more I check out GAF, the more I realize I probably have a much higher tolerance/acceptance level for camp. lol
Speaking to the action in general: Like, yall made the transition from 2D to 3D and I still feel like I'm watching slightly better codec conversations. I don't necessarily need some DBZ-esque fights every few minutes, but I had to sit through an hour of that mundane stuff before I was like "oh cool, Sol put his hand on Ky's forearm, much variance. Whoa, then Ky put his hand on Sol's forearm?! Holy shit I don't think my brain can process this direction right now."

Shouta

Back in my room and hella tired. Pretty disappointed that it's almost 10pm and persona hasn't started yet. I understand though as they were losing setups and he was the only person running it but still really disappointing because I wanted to play with the east coast folks in the game. Might try and get some casuals in this weekend but gonna focus on my actual tourney games I guess.

Wanted to do VF5 too but by the time I found outvoersoba wasn't happening they had started and it kill me to do a 9 man round robin with Itazan in the mix.

CPS2

For a minute I thought P4U was on sale for $20 but its just the ultimate version of the original or whatever =|

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay so I finished the Xrd story. Didnt mash through it either.

Got better as it went on (visually) but overall has little to no redeemable qualities. There are 3-4 scenes which have more than bare minimum effort put into their animation which is nice. Otherwise the rest of the stuff either doesn't make sense, is resolved by techno mumbo jumbo, is resolved by lolBedmanSurpriseButtsex, etc. Characters made unlikeable for the most part. Dunno if I missed it but im not quite sure if the story explained why they were allowed to use technology/electronics again, why
Chronus was the head of the Conclave that got to bind with Justice, or why Ramlethal just disappeared altogether at some point

Fuck Anime/10.

Got better as it went on (visually) but overall has little to no redeemable qualities. There are 3-4 scenes which have more than bare minimum effort put into their animation which is nice. Otherwise the rest of the stuff either doesn't make sense, is resolved by techno mumbo jumbo, is resolved by lolBedmanSurpriseButtsex, etc. Characters made unlikeable for the most part. Dunno if I missed it but im not quite sure if the story explained why they were allowed to use technology/electronics again, why
Chronus was the head of the Conclave that got to bind with Justice, or why Ramlethal just disappeared altogether at some point

Fuck Anime/10.
Want to play Xrd?

Sayad

Got better as it went on (visually) but overall has little to no redeemable qualities. There are 3-4 scenes which have more than bare minimum effort put into their animation which is nice.
Some characters have up to 400 bones, and they're all hand animated, making proper animation for story mode is basically like making a stop motion movie, not worth the effort for a secondary mode. Otherwise yea, story mode is garbage outside Elphelt/Ram/Sin stuff which made smile a few times.

alstein

Are those Hori Fighting Commanders any good?

The last Hori pad i bought was on PS2, and while the dpad was functional, it was too stiff for diagonal movement.

I think they are. I use it for my PC now since I've given up sticks due to losing interest in fighters heavily outside of 98.

Anne

Meanwhile, over in Japan a 3v3 P4U2 2.0 tournament just happened. It had the 2 previous Arc Revo(MAD and Minori) winners, YMST, Taihichi, Souji, Die-chan, Mokke, Shikki, and like so many godlike players.

It was won by a team of 2 Shadow Junpeis and an Adachi(who happens to be the #1 ranked S Junpei player). Players are going nuts.

Sayad

Didn't check what the rumor says, but I'd love for there to be more concentration on 3s characters, they feel more realized! SFIV animations really sold them short.

Top Bottom