• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender students will be able to choose the bathroom and type of uniform (Brazil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
DISCLAIMER:
I know these threads don’t end well on GAF a lot of times, but I saw this piece on my news feed today and thought it would be interesting to share. The article was in Brazilian Portuguese and I translated it. Tell me if anything sounds off and I’ll try to correct it, it’s often hard to translate political and educational terms from Portuguese to English due to many technical differences.

I included some links that weren’t in the original text concerning local government offices, etc.

Also, be happy that most of you won’t be able to read the comments…

http://g1.globo.com/educacao/notici...-o-banheiro-e-o-tipo-de-uniforme-escolar.html

Transgender students will be able to choose the bathroom and type of school uniform
Resolution by the Secretariat for Human Rights doesn’t have status of law.
The recommendation includes preferred name usage in exams and report cards.

bRv6rd2.jpg

Transgender students will be able to choose which bathroom they’ll be using and the type of school uniform (male or female), in accordance with their gender identity. They’ll also be able to have their preferred name used in the administrative processes of their school life, like enrollment, report cards, attendance record, exams and even public examinations.

That’s what says a resolution by the National Council for Combating Discrimination and for Promotion of LGBT Rights (CNCD/LGBT), a federal council connected to the Secretariat for Human Rights of the Presidency of the Republic, which was published this Thursday (12) on the official journal of the federal government.

The resolution doesn’t have status of law, but it works as a recommendation that educational institutions can follow to respect the rights of transgender students. “The National Congress still doesn’t have a regulatory framework regarding the needs of the LGBT population”, said Samanda Alves, the Council’s Vice-President.

Samanda highlights that there have been many developments concerning the matter of gender identity between students. Last year’s ENEM (National High School Exam) already allowed applicants to be identified by their preferred name. In 23 federal universities preferred name usage is already allowed for students, among them the UFPE, the UFSCar, the UFRB, the UFJF, and the UFRJ. “Furthermore, 15 State Boards of Education have issued similar resolutions”, she adds.

According to the CNCD, the need for a right to use the preferred name is higher during high school and in colleges/universities. “In the case of teenagers, the recommendation is that the request be made by the parents”, she pointed.

In case the school doesn’t comply with the student’s request, the Council’s Vice-President advises that the family should seek dialogue with the institution. “It’s a very new policy in Brazil. We’re advancing on that front, the resolution recognizes that. What we can do for now is to keep seeking dialogue until the National Congress approves a law in this respect”.

D29XR5N.jpg

Maria Clara, Maria Laura e Débora used their preferred name on the Enem 2014

Brazilians seem like very open and friendly people. I talked to a Brazilian guy from the south who said it's because they are very mixed of many nationalities!

Great news, it's a shame we are so behind in most other stuff concerning LGBT rights, though :/. Just recently, it hit the news that a teenager was beat up at school for having Gay parents.

Plus, we have a fucking fundametalist asshole as president of the chamber of deputies, which does not inspire much hope.

ldcommando

Banned
Brazilians seem like very open and friendly people. I talked to a Brazilian guy from the south who said it's because they are very mixed of many nationalities!
Don't worry, we got racism, transphobia, homophobia and etc coming out the ass here, very similar to other countries. Brazil is a very very very religious country still and somewhat conservative.

Nakho

We are, but there are still so many uneducated and homophobic people everywhere... Facebook becomes a cesspool sometimes. My hometown is a large city, going around one million inhabitants, but we hear frequently of homophobic attacks. There has been a lot of progress in representation and in the opening of LGBT-friendly spaces though. We have a very prominent federal deputy who is very active in this issue, being gay himself.

It's just that some pastors turned politicians are looking to fuel the homophobia as an Us vs Them political strategy. That always seems to work so well here :/

I love how progressive Brazil is

Good on Brazil for being progressive.
Only the Supreme Court is progressive. The National Congress has a lot of deputies from "religious stand" and the most voted deputy from Rio de Janeiro is homophobic. People in general are homophobic, "fag" is the most common curse for example. Football club supporters make homophobic chants for their rivals in every game. And the homicide rate for LGBT people is one of the highest in the world.

Ms.Galaxy

We aren´t.

I'm aware of the issues, the extreme homophobia and transphobia in Brazil due to their Catholic upbring, that fact there is no anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBT people, and the amount of murder that happens. It's not a really good place to be in and more is needed to be done, but this news is a step in the right direction and I hope more of this continues to happen.

I guess I could have worded my statement better as, "Good on Brazil for taking progressive steps forward".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom