• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina GOP Goes Back on Promise to Fully Repeal ‘Bathroom Law’ HB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.mediaite.com/uncategoriz...-on-promise-to-fully-repeal-bathroom-law-hb2/

After previously agreeing to repeal HB2, which got national attention as the “bathroom bill,” the state’s Republicans didn’t exactly do that. While yes, the new bill introduced to repeal HB2 does outright repeal the law, it also includes includes a “Six‑Month Cooling‑Off Period.” The terms of said “cooling-off period are that “No local government in this State may enact or amend an ordinance regulating employment practices or regulating public accommodations or access to restrooms, showers, or changing facilities.” While HB2 became known for its restrictions on the transgender community’s use of public restrooms, it also gutted employment, public accommodation, and housing protections for the entire LGBT community in general.

As a result, the Charlotte City Council, who repealed their LGBT nondiscrimination law (the one that HB2 was developed as a counter to) on Monday as part of a deal to get HB2 repealed as well, can’t institute a new law for half a year. As a result, according to WBTV in Charlotte, Governor Elect Roy Cooper is telling the state democrats not to support the HB2 repeal bill as-is.

Dems right now:
lucy-football.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Such a bunch of babies.... I bet the 6 month time lapse is based on some other nefarious plan to stall further until they can get enough votes to not unban it.

Saw this a few hours ago and was about to post a thread. What a bunch of bullshit.

And when more businesses back out of nc, the GOP will blame Cooper for not getting anything done. Ugh.

Ms.Galaxy

Stop trying to compromise you dumbfuck nieve Dems.

This. You cannot compromise nor reason with the modern GOP, democrats.

Every time the democrats try to meet the GOP half way, they just take advantage of the opening and abuse it to its fullest. Stop trying at this point, high grounds be damned.

Blader

I still don't understand why the city council repealed the ordinance at all. NC GOP had been saying the whole time that if they repealed the ordinance, the state legislature would repeal HB2, and Charlotte refused to play ball. What the hell changed?

neshcom

Banned
I still don't understand why the city council repealed the ordinance at all. NC GOP had been saying the whole time that if they repealed the ordinance, the state legislature would repeal HB2, and Charlotte refused to play ball. What the hell changed?

It was supposedly a deal to make the repeal happen. The city council fell for it.

JoeBoy101

Charlotte did play ball. They effectively repealed the ordinance, but told the NC GA that if a repeal of HB2 didn't happen before 12/31, the ordinance would go back into force. Thus, the emergency session.

excelsiorlef said:
GOP won and are now blaming the Dems and Cooper for it not getting repealed.

What did they win? With no HB2 repeal, the city ordinance goes back into force.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hey, Dems, keep trying to work with the GOP. I'm sure it will pay off the next time!

Charlotte did play ball. They effectively repealed the ordinance, but told the NC GA that if a repeal of HB2 didn't happen before 12/31, the ordinance would go back into force. Thus, the emergency session.

That was Monday. The GOP found out and got mad so Charlotte then just repealed it wholesale like on Tuesday apparently and now the GOP went nah nevermind we're not gonna repeal it and it's your (Democrats) fault to boot.

neshcom

Banned
No, you know what? I take it back. From the linked piece on the city council's repeal:

Speaker Moore has openly admitted that the “deal” never would have resulted in a full repeal of HB2. Shortly after Charlotte rejected the second compromise, he said in an interview that the plan would have been for the legislature to “get rid of most of those provisions and just make sure that we kept in the bathroom piece and the other things.”

McCrory made the same admission about a week later in an interview with CBN News. When asked if he had considered repealing HB2, he replied, “No, not based upon the concept of changing the definition of gender.”

Everybody involved needs to fuck right off. This is really goddamn stupid.

The election happened. HB2 was an important issue for the democrats to use to campaign on for November (it seems pretty obvious that HB2's continued existence and unpopularity let Cooper beat McCrory in a photo finish), so they held off on repealing the Charlotte ordinance until after the election. Just smart politics on their part.

Edit: looked up the bill http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E5/Bills/Senate/HTML/S4v0.html

I'm guessing NCGOP figured that charlotte and other Democrat cities might just pass the bathroom ordinances again as soon as they repealed HB2, and they might not have veto-proof majority to get a new HB2 past Cooper's veto. That said, I don't get the 180 days timeline - aren't the Democratic controlled cities just going to enact the ordinance at that point? 180 days isn't really a long time when it comes to government stuff.

JoeBoy101

That was Monday. The GOP found out and got mad so Charlotte then just repealed it wholesale like in Tuesday apparently and now the GOP went nah nevermind we're not gonna repeal it and it's your (Democrats) fault to boot.

Based on the news I'm reading down here, alot of the NC GOP wanted a repeal (Berger, McCrory, etc.) wanted the repeal due to the heat they were getting. McCrory just lost his job over it. The more podunk reps though fought against them.

Averon

I'm angrier at the Dems for being naive idiots than I am at the GOP. Democrats need to get through their thick heads that working with the modern day GOP is idiotic and just sets you up to fail.

BriGuy

North Carolina seems like some GOP laboratory designed to test how much they can get away with without courting open rebellion.

Thus is the result of expecting civility and compromise, when the other side isn't even playing the same game.

This is also the result of playing the civility and discussion game with those who do not respect or acknowledge your humanity. They will take and take. You don't have to dive to the deep end of the muck, but you must be willing to fight, you must expect that they will lie, and you must realize they will take the inch you give them and twist it around.

Strike

Yeah, it's time to throw civility out the window. There's no point in playing fair when the other side has no interest in doing so.

Torokil

North Carolina is just a preview of the USA in 2020 or 2024. Republicans, and definitely the R POTUS, will wield every ounce of executive and legislative power to effectuate their agendas (the fact that they spent 6 years whining about Obama governing by Presidential EO aside) and then, the moment that they are in danger of losing that power, they will dump all of it with legislative changes in the lame duck to make the incoming D POTUS as impotent as possible. Bing bang boom, the R legislature(s) go back to being super obstructionist (proof of concept was 2010-2016) and blame government ineffectiveness on the D POTUS, ensuring at the very least an R wave election in the legislature and likely an R POTUS after a D term.

Meanwhile, they get to make hay with their agenda (without obstinate obstructionism from D legislators who will want to try to make government work) including hundreds of lifetime federal judge appointments (coming 2017 despite 6 years without confirming the D POTUS selections in the name of "judicial efficiency and judicial waste") and (probably) numerous SCOTUS appointments, all of which will solidify the R legislative and executive actions into the law of the land, including roll back of civil rights, voting rights and reproductive freedom. Even better, on the off chance D legislators ever get a majority and try to take progressive steps forward, the hundreds of lifetime appointments and conservative control of SCOTUS will ensure they fail while the R train rolls on.

Rinse and repeat.

Just fucking LOL at the Dems or anyone thinking there's ever a realistic chance of recovery for progressive politics.

cdyhybrid

North Carolina is just a preview of the USA in 2020 or 2024. Republicans, and definitely the R POTUS, will wield every ounce of executive and legislative power to effectuate their agendas (the fact that they spent 6 years whining about Obama governing by Presidential EO aside) and then, the moment that they are in danger of losing that power, they will dump all of it with legislative changes in the lame duck to make the incoming D POTUS as impotent as possible. Bing bang boom, the R legislature(s) go back to being super obstructionist (proof of concept was 2010-2016) and blame government ineffectiveness on the D POTUS, ensuring at the very least an R wave election in the legislature and likely an R POTUS after a D term.

Meanwhile, they get to make hay with their agenda (without obstinate obstructionism from D legislators who will want to try to make government work) including hundreds of lifetime federal judge appointments (coming 2017 despite 6 years without confirming the D POTUS selections in the name of "judicial efficiency and judicial waste") and (probably) numerous SCOTUS appointments, all of which will solidify the R legislative and executive actions into the law of the land, including roll back of civil rights, voting rights and reproductive freedom. Even better, on the off chance D legislators ever get a majority and try to take progressive steps forward, the hundreds of lifetime appointments and conservative control of SCOTUS will ensure they fail while the R train rolls on.

Rinse and repeat.

Just fucking LOL at the Dems or anyone thinking there's ever a realistic chance of recovery for progressive politics.

Dems need to take back Congress and play dirty. That's really the only way shit will get done. Needless to say, we're a long way from that. Time for the party to sack the fuck up.

Blader

It was supposedly a deal to make the repeal happen. The city council fell for it.

No, what I meant was, the NC GOP has been saying for a while that if the Charlotte city council repealed their ordinance, the state legislature would repeal HB2. Charlotte said no. Now suddenly Charlotte does it. That "deal" had always been there. So what I don't get is why they suddenly went through with it after deciding against it for so long.

The election happened. HB2 was an important issue for the democrats to use to campaign on for November (it seems pretty obvious that HB2's continued existence and unpopularity let Cooper beat McCrory in a photo finish), so they held off on repealing the Charlotte ordinance until after the election. Just smart politics on their part.

Hmm, I guess.

neshcom

Banned
This isn't even "they lied to us," it's outright ignoring their unwillingness to play ball. I mean, the state getting "infuriated" on the Charlotte repeal being conditional is a sure-fire sign they weren't going to follow-through. You don't just cave and give up the condition--you keep the ordinance in place!

No, what I meant was, the NC GOP has been saying for a while that if the Charlotte city council repealed their ordinance, the state legislature would repeal HB2. Charlotte said no. Now suddenly Charlotte does it. That "deal" had always been there. So what I don't get is why they suddenly went through with it after deciding against it for so long.

I doubt that "deal" was anything more than rhetoric taken at face-value. It was either them waiting for the election to be over before trying to reach up to the state or just someone assuming an actual deal existed.

Didn't the Charlotte repeal have language triggering it's reinstatement if HB2 wasn't also repealed by Dec. 31st?

I think they took out that language because the NC GOP whined about it?

They got played through and through. If that language was still there, I don't think this would be a big issue...

This is why I've been saying liberals and Democrats need to learn the value of hate.

The GOP is not a party of well meaning people who disagree with you. They are your enemy. Your overriding goal has to be their destruction. Every action you take must be motivated by hate and malice for the GOP and their allies

This. You cannot compromise nor reason with the modern GOP, democrats.

Every time the democrats try to meet the GOP half way, they just take advantage of the opening and abuse it to its fullest. Stop trying at this point, high grounds be damned.

Because they play politics ridiculously well, and now when to be loud.

slit

I hope the boycotts continue only stronger. Teach those dumb fucks who voted for this a lesson. Of course they are too stupid to learn from it but at least it'll continue to shine a light on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom