• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School uniforms go unisex as Japanese schools seek better fit for LGBT students

Jae Mara

I think uniforms in general are a great idea to initially hide any class divides that there may be. I went to both types of schools where uniforms were either compulsory or not and while I hated wearing uniforms it certainly, at least anecdotally reduced people being called out for their clothes. I have seen fights break out because of stray comments of how cheaply someone dresses. It doesnt take much.

I would like to see that perhaps there would be many variations, perhaps 3 or 4 types of uniform clothing people can wear. Have people wear whatever they want, mix and match. Let guys wear skirts if they want and girls wear slacks. I think its good to try and break what constitutes gendered clothing rather than say this specific way of dressing is unisex. Probably unrealistic thinking on my behalf.

Shiki_

Banned
Let guys wear skirts if they want and girls wear slacks. I think its good to try and break what constitutes gendered clothing rather than say this specific way of dressing is unisex. Probably unrealistic thinking on my behalf.

Actually is allowed!

At Kashiwanoha Junior High School, which opened in Kashiwa, Chiba Prefecture, in April, students can freely choose whether to wear skirts or slacks or ties or ribbons with blazers, regardless of their sex.

Dunki

I think uniforms in general are a great idea to initially hide any class divides that there may be. I went to both types of schools where uniforms were either compulsory or not and while I hated wearing uniforms it certainly, at least anecdotally reduced people being called out for their clothes. I have seen fights break out because of stray comments of how cheaply someone dresses. It doesnt take much.

I would like to see that perhaps there would be many variations, perhaps 3 or 4 types of uniform clothing people can wear. Have people wear whatever they want, mix and match. Let guys wear skirts if they want and girls wear slacks. I think its good to try and break what constitutes gendered clothing rather than say this specific way of dressing is unisex. Probably unrealistic thinking on my behalf.
Yeah the two school smentioned in the article allow this already. But it i not surprising since they also allow trans students to chose their bathroom as well

Although the two schools mentioned above allow female transgender students to wear skirts, Okuno believes such a product will be difficult to develop and market.

“Even if schools and students accept such a uniform, it is likely to be frowned upon by many people in society,” she said.

Jae Mara

Actually is allowed!

Yeah the two school smentioned in the article allow this already. But it i not surprising since they also allow trans students to chose their bathroom as well

Ah sorry my bad, What I was trying to get at but failed is that while the rules of schools will change the tough part is will it change peoples acceptance of those who choose to wear differently. So when I say let people wear what they want, I'm not talking about the schools I'm talking about fellow students and society in general since thats where a lot of change has to happen and be accepted.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Interesting how things change. When I was still in High School, I would have hated the idea of wearing uniforms. Now as an adult, I find them the better choice.

Glad that they are allowing for more options for those who need it - interested to see if this causes any noticeable difference over the following years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Dunki

I'm 100% sure what you call "outrage culture" is just people saying things that you disagree with.
No since I also think this is a good thing what did happen in Japan. I just believe in a discours of opinions and not shouting each other down by using stupid argumentations like white priviligege cis straight males have no say in this etc.

I actually want progress not stupidity

Last edited:

mckmas8808

No since I also think this is a good thing what did happen in Japan. I just believe in a discours of opinions and not shouting each other down by using stupid argumentations like white priviligege cis straight males have no say in this etc.

I actually want progress not stupidity

Cool. But how do you know none of that stuff didn't happen in Japan over the last 5 years?

Dunki

Cool. But how do you know none of that stuff didn't happen in Japan over the last 5 years?
outrage culture? Easy because Japanese people are not stupid. They are not getting manipulated by fals gender studies classes in Universities and they actually have journalistic Ethics so you wont see all the bullshit you see with western or better American Journalism if you even can call that. I am sorry but Japan is very level headed just look how they reacted to Scarlett Johanson playing Major in Ghost in the Shell. They thought it was a perfect fit because again they are not brainwashed and stupid like many activists in America.

mckmas8808

outrage culture? Easy because Japanese people are not stupid. They are not getting manipulated by fals gender studies classes in Universities and they actually have journalistic Ethics so you wont see all the bullshit you see with western or better American Journalism if you even can call that. I am sorry but Japan is very level headed just look how they reacted to Scarlett Johanson playing Major in Ghost in the Shell. They thought it was a perfect fit because again they are not brainwashed and stupid like many activists in America.

I think you have no idea how Japanese people think about social issues. And why are you making social issue topics into IQ issues?

Dunki

I think you have no idea how Japanese people think about social issues. And why are you making social issue topics into IQ issues?
I studied japanese culture and society so yes I have an understadning how Japan thinks and works.

Its not an IQ issue. I use stupid to tell they are idiots which also has nothing to do with IQ. But can we please stop this and not derail this topic about a postive news? Thank you very much.

Shiki_

Banned
I studied japanese culture and society so yes I have an understadning how Japan thinks and works.

Wait wait you dismiss (and mock) to people with gender studies background, but yet you claim to have studied Japanese culture? You can see you lack of self-awareness in this, right? Hint: I don't dismiss both, but the fact you claim to have authority when you live in German... it doesn't hold up very well.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...mproving-obstacles-loom-seniors/#.WzEcH6czbIU
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-draw-flak-theyre-designed-help/#.WzEcYKczbIU
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2018/04/28/lifestyle/lgbtq-voices-dealing-reality/#.WzEc86czbIU

If the following extract about activism in Japan in LGBT issues would imply they are manipulated by social studies (which include gender and sexuality topics), then I hope they increase their support.

Connecting families

Parents often find it difficult to accept the fact that their child is a sexual minority. They often blame themselves for their child’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

Ryoko Kobayashi knows this only too well. Kobayashi has been a member of nonprofit organization LGBT no Kazoku to Yujin o Tsunagu Kai (Group to Connect LGBT with Family and Friends) for a decade now, offering support for families of sexual minorities.

In most cases, she says parents are distraught: Mothers typically blame themselves and fathers are unable to accept the revelation.

“By blaming the parents, everyone is satisfied,” Kobayashi says. “That’s how everyone accepts the situation and the problem is somehow solved. It’s absurd but the truth is that many parents react like that.”

The organization was founded in Kobe in 2006 by the mother of lawmaker Kanako Otsuji, who herself has since come out as gay.

With offices now in Kobe, Tokyo, Fukuoka and Nagoya, the group periodically holds open meetings where they discuss issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity in order to promote understanding of the issues among family and friends.

“Parents often fall into the trap of trying to live their children’s lives,” Kobayashi says. “Ultimately, we want to help parents realize that their lives and their children’s lives exist independently. … You don’t decide whether your child is happy or not, it’s up to your child to determine that.”

Kobayashi’s child came out to her as a transgender male at 22 completely out of the blue.

“He told me he wanted to quit being a woman,” Kobayashi says.

Kobayashi immediately understood that her child’s gender identity had nothing to do with how she had raised him.

“I knew it wasn’t my fault,” she says. “I don’t know if I can say with confidence that I followed all of the so-called rules on child-rearing but I do know one thing — I gave my children a lot of love and affection.”

In order for her son to transition to match his identity in accordance with a 2003 “gender identity disorder” law, he had to undergo surgery to have his breasts and reproductive organs removed.

Kobayashi’s son had two separate surgeries when he was 28. A few months later, he was officially recognized as being male. On that same day, her son and his partner submitted their marriage certificate to their local ward office.

Kobayashi’s son is now 37 and is happily married to his wife.

“I’m so grateful to my son for teaching me about a world I knew nothing about,” Kobayashi says. “My life is full of joy everyday.”

Dunki

Wait wait you dismiss (and mock) to people with gender studies background, but yet you claim to have studied Japanese culture? You can see you lack of self-awareness in this, right? Hint: I don't dismiss both, but the fact you claim to have authority when you live in German... it doesn't hold up very well.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...mproving-obstacles-loom-seniors/#.WzEcH6czbIU
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-draw-flak-theyre-designed-help/#.WzEcYKczbIU
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2018/04/28/lifestyle/lgbtq-voices-dealing-reality/#.WzEc86czbIU

If the following extract about activism in Japan in LGBT issues would imply they are manipulated by social studies (which include gender and sexuality topics), then I hope they increase their support.
I also studied the language to be able to work in Japan which sadly did not come true and the culture, history and society stuff was with in Study subject. And I have not authority but I also have more knowledge than the person I tried to argue with.

Also I never said there is no activism in Japan of course there is. And it is good that it does exist HOWEVER it is not fucking insane like in AMerica in Universities, in media etc. that is the big difference here. I will always support actvisim that is reasonable that goes not an authorian route that does not violently attack people who diagree with them etc. Learn to understand the differences and please let us stop in this thread. If you want to discuss this further you can open a new thread and we can talk about how different activism in Japan is compared to the activism shithole called America

llien

And while we are at it: why is it called "gender studies" (which I'd expect to cover both men and women) instead of "women studies"?

Dunki

Did you read what he actually said?!
That what we are talking about outrage culture. IT was out of context it was lied how it was recieved it was a clickbait outrage story to get someone fired because he was a perfect target with this out of context senctence to fit their shity activism bullshit agenda. Something that would have never happen in Japan.

That narrative took a major hit on June 24 when The Times obtained information that a European Commission report on the conference, based on the notes of a European Union official who attended the luncheon, gave a very different account of what happened. The report summarized Hunt’s remarks as follows:
It’s strange that such a chauvinist monster like me has been asked to speak to women scientists. Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry. Perhaps we should make separate labs for boys and girls? Now seriously, I’m impressed by the economic development of Korea. And women scientists played, without doubt, an important role in it. Science needs women and you should do science despite all the obstacles, and despite monsters like me.
A follow-up article revealed that the EU official also said Hunt’s remarks were well-received, contradicting his accusers’ claims of an uncomfortable silence (or even a "deathly silence," as St. Louis told BBC Radio 4), and that one of the luncheon’s organizers, a woman from the Korean National Research Council of Science and Technology, told him "she was impressed that Sir Tim could improvise such a warm and funny speech."
The "Tim Hunt, misogynist scientist” narrative has been falling apart piece by piece over the past month.
But can we please stop this now?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

That what we are talking about outrage culture. IT was out of context it was lied how it was recieved it was a clickbait outrage story to get someone fired because he was a perfect target with this out of context senctence to fit their shity activism bullshit agenda. Something that would have never happen in Japan.

The "Tim Hunt, misogynist scientist” narrative has been falling apart piece by piece over the past month.
But can we please stop this now?
Yes, have you?
And I mean, non-outrage-culture version of it, with context and predominantly female audience's reaction.

Yeah after seeing the full context, that was total BS. It was a joke that he wanted to flip into good things he wanted to say about women scientist. He did get rail roaded.

Osukaa

I think we need a fellow LGBT to design the new costumes. Those suits are way to oversized and the color mismatch with the pants and jacket are awful. Gimme a minute or 2.. ill cook up something better and it would be Fabulous !!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
My school had a hideous summer uniform that looked exactly like Steve Irwin’s outfit. I refused to wear that shit even when they forced me to wear a blazer and tie in 35 degree celsius weather because I chose to wear the “winter” uniform instead.

Even my 15 year old self had enough style to put my foot down.

Choice is good.

Dunki

I think we need a fellow LGBT to design the new costumes. Those suits are way to oversized and the color mismatch with the pants and jacket are awful. Gimme a minute or 2.. ill cook up something better and it would be Fabulous !!
They are made like this so you do not see their figure be it male or female. So I doubt this was a fashion statement^^

Top Bottom