• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Students at several colleges in the US plan to hold anti-racism protests this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, IC's goal is the same as Missouri's: Remove the President, and make the school perform some reforms that'll make it more inclusion-ary.

Hopefully the faculty will be behind the students. In mu's case, the faculty wanted the pres and chancellor gone for reasons unrelated to racial issues so were more an happy to hop aboard with full backing, that may or may not exist in other places of course.

Jag

Oh yes indeed. Diction means nothing on Gaf. Nor code-switching.

Queen's English or you're stupid.

Well they are at one of the most exclusive and privileged educational institutions in the world. Where else would Queen's English be used. I get that it is deliberate, I honestly don't understand the point of using deliberate vernacular in this context.

Those kids are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. I barely got into a shitty state college. No fancy private schools. Wouldn't they be better served using their superior intelligence? Or maybe they are and I'm just too thick to get it. I'm probably not the only one though.

Infinite

Well they are at one of the most exclusive and privileged educational institutions in the world. Where else would Queen's English be used. I get that it is deliberate, I honestly don't understand the point of using deliberate vernacular in this context.

Those kids are a hell of a lot smarter than I am. I barely got into a shitty state college. No fancy private schools. Wouldn't they be better served using their superior intelligence? Or maybe they are and I'm just too thick to get it. I'm probably not the only one though.
Who besides you would care? The message is understood by everyone who can read it not only that it's colloquial enough for it to connect with them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You seeing the syntax they used as less intelligent may be part of a larger problem.

Ask in here

https://boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/55343435

If you're not already there

Ivan 3414

Hahahaha.

I could easily scoff this off, but I'll give you a legit answer.

It's done on purpose because in many cases, one of the struggles minorities deal with in college is code-switching. Talking and acting differently around white audiences, around faculty, and then switching back only when you know you're in a space that'll allow it. And when you don't, you are seeing a certain way, ostracized. Many of my peers suffered both fates; wearing themselves out trying to talk and act in a way acceptable to the campus socially, or getting too much flack for not.

Forgoing all that in protest is in fact a statement that they want to be themselves while attending these universities.

Slayven

With all the popular misspelled and butchered grammar bullshit that gets thrown around, folks lose their minds over the weirdest shit.

"Sorry I was going to support you in your struggle against racism, but you forgot a period. I guess Black Lives Don't spellcheck"

Jag

I could easily scoff this out, but I'll give you a legit answer.

It's done on purpose because in many cases, one of the struggles minorities deal with in college is code-switching. Talking and acting differently around white audiences, around faculty, and then switching back only when you know you're in a space that'll allow it.

Forgoing all that in protest is in fact a statement that they want to be themselves while attending these universities.

Thanks for answering. I never heard of code switching (which I have now) and didn't realize that was point of the banner. It was an honest question, it just seemed weird to me.

jmood88

Is it effective to protest abstract, vague things like racism?

At least Missouri had a distinct goal in mind, the removal of the president.

What is the nationwide goal of these students? Eliminate racism?
Are you keeping up with the protests to see why they are protesting or are you just criticizing for the sake of criticizing?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are you keeping up with the protests to see why they are protesting or are you just criticizing for the sake of criticizing?

I read the article/op, then made a post in reaction to it, as well as asked a question for further clarification.

So no, I am not criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

And no, I'm not 100% up on the various college campuses around the country and all the current protests.

After reading the article, the goals seem overly vague. I'm quite open to being wrong about that. I very often am.

aquavelva

No, the solution is to fight and drive out the racists. I'm tired of coddling these people. Racists get no sympathy from me. You can't fight evil by ignoring it.

It'd be nice if white people let us know who the racists are. Whenever the subject of white racism comes up, white people start getting quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom