• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio closure: Vlambeer, best known for Luftrausers, and Ridiculous Fishing

Kdad

edit LOL ** ALSO KNOWN FOR NUCLEAR THRONE **

Founded by Rami Ismail and Jan Willem Nijman in 2010, Vlambeer became a tour de force in the indie developer scene, proving a hit with its arcade-style games. The studio was behind a number of noteworthy titles, including arcade shooter Luftrausers, and Ridiculous Fishing.

Ismail and Nijman announced the decision via a brief statement published on their company’s Steam account. In it, the pair assert that the closure marks a natural end to Vlambeer, and did not indicate that the move was influenced by any form of external pressure. “We thought that [10 years] would be a good number to end things on, and we’ve decided to close down the studio”

The studio has confirmed that it will release UltraBugs, which is still currently in development, as planned, making it Vlambeer’s final title.

Last edited:

Kdad

I just googled Luftrausers. If this came to Xbox I'd buy it for sure. Looks awesome. Love twinstick shooters
Pretty light PC requirements
  • Processor: 1.2Ghz+
  • Memory: 1024 MB RAM
  • Graphics: OpenGL 2.1 compatibale + 256MB Video
  • Storage: 200 MB available space

GHG

Well hopefully they can keep creating, even if its individually.

Nuclear throne was great.

Davey Cakes

LUFTRAUSERS is fantastic. One of my favorite arcade shooters. A sequel would've been sweet, but whatever.

Nuclear Throne is also fun. It's very immediate, which makes me prefer it to similar games like Enter the Gungeon.

They'll be missed, but I'm sure the team members will have plenty to offer in their other ventures.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
I very much know i would never, ever be friends with Rami(his choice not mine), but unlike the left, I can recognize his team is super talented and would always support any future projects they pursue.

Last edited:

yurinka

Loved Nuclear Throne, Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers and Super Crate Box, and also Minit (from JW, one of them).

Their first game for me was Super Crate Box, which I discovered as one of the PS Minis for PSP. It was super awesome. I think they did something I love, that is proving that 'small' pixel art arcade action games have a place in the market and can work well when are great.

Something important for devs like me who back then were working on other type of games because I thought there wasn't a place for these ones. They and some other few ones are the reason of why I move to indie pixel art arcade games.

poodaddy

Goddamn I loved Ridiculous Fishing. Legit my favorite mobile game of all time. It's weird this happened, as my daughter and I went on a tirade trying to redownload Ridiculous Fishing the other day on our new phone only to find out it was delisted. We were pretty bummed, as that game was fucking rad and we really wanted to play it again. Hope they land on their feet.

Unfortunately making good games isn't enough to stay alive in the industry.
You need marketing, you need streamers, you need influencers telling people to buy your games.

When Sony makes a game they put up a billboard on Times Square.

Top Bottom