• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

Buggy Loop

It's that time of the year again. After Elden Ring's 22 release and devs being salty of its success, now it seems some are already going on the defensive against Baldur's Gate 3

Salt Bae Steak GIF

Imagine these replies. Josh Sawyer from Obsidian entertainment! Why didn't he make a game of that scope after Pillars of Eternity was done and the engine was known? Since he's got Microsoft funding now i hope he can make a masterpiece for his next project! Apparently that's all you need.

ToTK DLC narrative transpires in that last tweet. BG3's easy because they had the DOS2 done, hell, Sven loves Ultima 7, and that game had 12 years of previous titles feeding into it! SEE? RECIPE IS EASY!

In the meantime, AAA devs have been working on the same foundation baseline since PS3 roughly. Barely any progress in any genres. What's their excuse?

Imagine being threatened by Larian. The studio was small and indie-like not even that many years ago. Much like From Software being thought of as a niche Japanese developer pre-Souls.
Sven worked his fucking soul into that studio. This ain't no fucking ubisoft recipe where they throw 700 peoples at the problem and hope for the best. If this game has the biggest scope of ANY cRPG in existence its because the studio worked for it. Baldur's Gate 3 ain't quick cash grab like the 15th Assassin's creed.

It looks fucking dire for most studios out there, they lost the plot.

starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Larian has been better than most developers for a long time. The success of DOS 1 & 2 shows this isn't an anomaly. Only difference is this time they are taking their same craftsmanship and applying it to a decades old beloved multimedia franchise. There have been plenty of DND videogames that fucking sucked and no one gave a shit about.

Corian33

I don’t know the entire history of Larian, but they made OS1 which was fun and decent enough but not a huge hit, then built on it with OS2 which blew up because it was an amazing game. That got them the resources and trust to make BG3 and instead of a lame cash grab reboot that ignored what people loved about the original games, it looks to be everything we ever wanted from a fantasy cRPG. They can raise the bar all they want, they deserve the credit.

Filben

They scared of a new benchmark (if they can deliver on quality as well)?

It's not like they made BG3 from nothing without any history before...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Meh. Nowhere near as spicy as a couple of individuals throwing childish tantrums about UX or whatever.

Last edited:
Larian has been better than most developers for a long time. The success of DOS 1 & 2 shows this isn't an anomaly. Only difference is this time they are taking their same craftsmanship and applying it to a decades old beloved multimedia franchise. There have been plenty of DND videogames that fucking sucked and no one gave a shit about.
Reminds me of cdpr jump from witcher 1 and 2 to witcher 3 which did raise the bar for open world rpgs to the point where an entire generation of assassins creed copied it.

Larian have been putting out absolute bangers in the form of Divinity: Original Sin I and II, I don't expect anything different from this release. They're a humble studio based out of Belgium for crying out a loud, I suppose for that reason I'm rooting for them due to being underdogs in the industry.

Fredrik

Larian have been putting out absolute bangers in the form of Divinity: Original Sin I and II, I don't expect anything different from this release. They're a humble studio based out of Belgium for crying out a loud, I suppose for that reason I'm rooting for them due to being underdogs in the industry.
Yeah. And they’re squeezed up in between FF16 and Starfield. Not a comfortable position even if the Baldur’s Gate IP is big, or used to be. I saw a long gameplay video and the combat is spot-on, turn-based with position being a factor as well, I want all RPGs like that tbh.
Anyhow I’m trying to keep my schedule clean from big games up til Starfield so I’ll probably not play it until after that.

Oh god, this couldn’t be any more cringe.

It’s good that developers are being pushed by gamers to do more and better. We are paying for these fucking games, make them good!

That one about Larian having the foundation from DOS? Kind of I guess, except BG3 is a whole new system with completely different combat and rules. Just comes off as salty.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Generic in what sense? It's set in Dungeons & Dragons universe. It's as iconic as it can be. Do you mean that it's so iconic and was copied so many times that to someone who don't know any better it might appear as generic?
well... yeah

Gorgon

I understand the comments and agree when it comes to smaller devs. But when we're talking about devs like Obsidian, a studio with such a pedigree, now bought by MS and now a studio with supposedly (according to themselves) AAA budgets, there's simply no excuse. We certainly should judge in those cases. And maybe the cold reception to that dissapointing Avowed trailer didn't help.

but is it good?
It's an antiquated style of game that looks generic af at that

As I said in other threads, the art direction feels like something out of a Korean MMO. It's the only thing about the game that puts me off. But then again, they always had that kind of art direction. If you're refering to the isometric tactical gameplay, well, that has been arounf since forever and never went away, and I don't consider it antiquated in way.

Generic in what sense? It's set in Dungeons & Dragons universe. It's as iconic as it can be. Do you mean that it's so iconic and was copied so many times that to someone who don't know any better it might appear as generic?

D&D is iconic, yes. It's also for the most part generic as fuck and always has been outside of a few settings. Forgotten Realms being one of the most generic but not the "worse" in that sense. Nothing wrong with that, but for some it doesn't cut it, which is fine too. However, if you look at the classic art for Forgotten Realms, especially Larry Elmore's iconic illustrations from back in the 80s and 90s, there's a world of difference between that and what we see in BG3. It's not surprising, because D&D since 3rd ed (and Pathfinder etc) has taken a more similar art direction to what we see in BG3 then we had before that. 5th edition is full of this kind of cartoonish cum anime fantasy illustrations. No wonder the OSR counter-movement in D&D circles took off back in the 2000s and is going strong to this day.

Anyway, none of this is an actual problem, but for older geezers growing up on art by Elmore, Buscema, Frazetta, etc, BG3 is hardly appealing. BG3 does seem amazing otherwise, and my most anticipated title of 2023. Probably my GOTY.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Someone never played Divinity 2 and it shows, the amount of freedom you got in builds to trying to figure out puzzles was awesome.
I never liked these games.
The one that clicked with me was icewind dale 2. It was excellent.
I never could get into neverwinter nightrs or baldurs gate

Top Bottom