• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

stuff kids/people today won't get that were actually born during internet's boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
encyclopaedia-britannica.jpg

Yahooligans!.PNG

shakeitbaby.gif

winme.png

Acorn

The difference between the permanence of the Internet vs the rest of life. The Internet got big when I was around 7 or 8 and I've been a user ever since (I'm soon 28) but kids these days don't understand how permanent it is like my gen did.

When this generation is our leaders in business and politics they'll find 20 year old facebook/twitter posts creating much drama. Should be fun.

Alx

Not only won't youngsters know what a floppy disk is, but they won't know the joy of installing an OS with a few dozens of them...

windows1.jpg

... Please insert disk 14... Please insert disk 15...

terrisus

Google Video came after YouTube. It was actually Google competing with them until they said fuck it and bought YouTube.

Google Video

When the company formally launched Google Video in January 2005, more than a month after Yahoo Video's announcement

YouTube

Although YouTube's birthday is officially February 14, 2005, the first video was actually uploaded to the site exactly five years ago, on April 23, 2005

Yeah, not as big of a time difference as my post would imply, but oh well :þ

The bitching-excellent boot-up intro.

And, namely, the included minigame MindMaze:

I spent hours on this as an ~7-8? year old for no reason, just reading random articles, along with Humongous Entertainment games, Knowledge Adventure (an educational game) and Flying Colors (a Paint-style program full of clip-art).

Kids have dat new-fangled Wikipedia today, it's convenient but just not the same as holding a CD encyclopaedia/font of human knowledge in the palm of your hands.

:I
MindMaze was my shit! I loved playing that, someone should remake them.

Not only won't youngsters know what a floppy disk is, but they won't know the joy of installing an OS with a few dozens of them...

windows1.jpg

... Please insert disk 14... Please insert disk 15...

See, I don't even get this. My first computer that my family got in '96 came with a Windows 95 cd-rom for installation. Back when Dell and OEM's actually gave you a disc for re installations.

kubin02.gif

latest

BhybRWE.gif

Floppy disks and a bunch of other stuff was already posted so this is all I could think of currently. Probably more internet age than not tho.

terrisus

I stand corrected. I misread something and thought that Google Video started in October 2005.

No worries.

YouTube never really registered with me, since I started on Google Video, and so never had a need to check into YouTube.
Then, when Google bought YouTube, I just didn't bother to make the transition.

SkyOdin

Hmmm... third-party download manager software for one. I remember downloading game demos way back in the day and praying that my 56k internet didn't have a hiccup, since even the smallest disruption in internet service would interrupt the download causing you to have to restart the entire download from the beginning. You had to get non-standard programs to actually be able to resume your five-hour download from where you left off.

Also, MUDs. Text-based multiplayer games you connected to via Telenet or other applications. There used to be thousands of them on the internet. Then they evolved into MMOs and were replaced by online RPGs with graphics. I think most people have completely forgotten that the MMO genre is actually one of the oldest genres in videogaming.

terrisus

Also, MUDs. Text-based multiplayer games you connected to via Telenet or other applications. There used to be thousands of them on the internet. Then they evolved into MMOs and were replaced by online RPGs with graphics. I think most people have completely forgotten that the MMO genre is actually one of the oldest genres in videogaming.

Yay, another MUD fan! <3

See, I don't even get this. My first computer that my family got in '96 came with a Windows 95 cd-rom for installation. Back when Dell and OEM's actually gave you a disc for re installations.

At the time CD-Rom drives were still a relatively new thing and not every computer had a CD ROM drive, so sometimes an optional floppy distribution was a thing.

Even before that almost everything that installed from a floppy exclusively (like DOS operating systems) often required more than one floppy to completely install due to their pitiful storage size (just a little over a meg).

Saganator

huh

did back then people prefer IE over Netscape?

In the early years, Netscape was top dog. It wasn't until IE 4 that Microsoft took the throne. IE being free and packaged with Windows is pretty much what killed Netscape. Although, that also lead to the anti-trust law suits against MS.

terrisus

I actually did a presentation back in late 2005 saying that Google should look into either buying or partnering with YouTube. I loled pretty hard when it actually happened soon after.

Ah, the missed investing possibilities...

Speaking of which, I made like a 50% gain in a month in an E-Trade virtual stock market back in like 1998.
If only it had been real money...

amar212

Non altered fruit and vegetables

Cities without advert pollution

Living with front doors of the apartment open

Organizing living without mobile phone

Airplane travel without ANY hassle

lednerg

The sound of modems doing a handshake over the phone line, or being able to immediately tell from the sound if you were getting a good connection. Also, having a phone line reserved for data. Or having a phone line, for that matter (falls outside of the scope of the OP, I know).

this and everything related to it

aol.jpeg

1000 Hours Free!
For 45 days

45 days = 1080 hours

To be fair, 1000 is a bigger number than 45.

The dial up connection sound.

I was in a hospital waiting room yesterday and I swear to fuck that I heard that noise, clear as day. It's 2015 though, so is such a thing even possible?

...But then again, I wouldn't be all that shocked to learn that place was still using a dial-up connection

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Since I'm from a country that doesn't use AOL, how does it work there? Over here we got what we call "prepaid ISPs". We buy a card, input its pin and user, connect to the internet via modem with provided numbers using Windows's generic modem connection, and surf. AOL seems to be a program on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom