• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyGuy

Not a bad player, and you'll find that 99% of blu-ray players have output ports similar to this.

The way my audio is set up is I have two speakers and an old subwoofer, and I connect the subwoofer to the laptop via the red/white (RCA?) connecter on the sub to the headphone jack in my laptop. I can't take the cable I have coming out of the subwoofer and plug it into the Digital Out Coaxial jack in the bluray player, can I? If not do I have any easy/cheap options?
Do you mean this?
Q65gVS5.png
(Yes it's RCA)

Currently your laptop is the OUT (3.5mm) and the Subwoofer is the IN (red/white)

The coaxial OUT of the blu-ray play is for ONE cable, and it's generally for a single cable (i.e. the OUT is coaxial and the IN is also coaxial). Your subwoofer's IN is 2 jacks, so NO you cannot do what you suggest.

Cheap options:

a) Don't buy that blu-ray player and instead buy a Blu-Ray HTiB This is the cheapest on bestbuy.com, not necessarily the best

b) buy a cheap 5.1 speaker set that has HDMI IN (so the HDMI OUT of the Blu-Ray player will work with it)

PS3 related one: I am plugging my friends PS3 to a monitor,but it doesn't support HDMI,so i have to use an adapter. But how do i make the sound connect my,say, speakers with normal Jack they use on computers (2.5?3.5?), to ps3?

Zoe

Astigmatism-GAF: Is it normal for your astigmatism to get worse when your eyes are tired?

My glasses correct for my mild astigmatism in one eye, but my contacts don't. The past couple of days have been noticeably blurrier. Such a pain to wear glasses when I'm not at home though :(

I watched a video on Youtube today, and it had an ad at the end of it. Do companies pay good money for this? I already watched the video I wanted to watch, why would I stick around to watch an ad?

Saucy_XL

Banned
I heard this Jimmy Buffet song a few months ago that I'm trying to find.

It's definitely a B-side song. It was really wild and was about homosexuals or something. It was a very random beat and the lyrics were all over the place. I think it was a live version, if that helps at all.

I never really liked jimmy buffet so I am unfamiliar with most of his songs, so please forgive me if this is an obvious track

QP3

In google chrome, is there any way to "pin" a window so that it is always on top?

To elaborate, I would like to have the pop-out window from Twitch stay on top of other pages in the corner as I browse. Is this possible? I no longer have a second monitor :( thanks!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Not a bad player, and you'll find that 99% of blu-ray players have output ports similar to this.

Do you mean this? (Yes it's RCA)

Currently your laptop is the OUT (3.5mm) and the Subwoofer is the IN (red/white)

The coaxial OUT of the blu-ray play is for ONE cable, and it's generally for a single cable (i.e. the OUT is coaxial and the IN is also coaxial). Your subwoofer's IN is 2 jacks, so NO you cannot do what you suggest.

Cheap options:

a) Don't buy that blu-ray player and instead buy a Blu-Ray HTiB This is the cheapest on bestbuy.com, not necessarily the best

b) buy a cheap 5.1 speaker set that has HDMI IN (so the HDMI OUT of the Blu-Ray player will work with it)

Thanks that helped. I decided to forgo the standalone bluray player idea as it would just be too much of a hassle and too expensive for what I want.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
A coworker gifted me an old-ish 32" Sony KDL-S32A12U Bravia TV from 2005-ish, which is incredibly nice and a great upgrade to my old retro CRT. It's HD ready and has a HDMI port, but obviously doesn't support 1080p, just 1080i and 720p.

Now, if I get myself a nice PS4, what would you say GAF: HD ready Bravia and comfy couch or 22" PC monitor with full HD, but comfy chair (or couch and eye strain)?

Edit: Of course, NOW I found the gaming thread. I crossposted, feel free to ignore this.

Mabef

Banned
Astigmatism-GAF: Is it normal for your astigmatism to get worse when your eyes are tired?

My glasses correct for my mild astigmatism in one eye, but my contacts don't. The past couple of days have been noticeably blurrier. Such a pain to wear glasses when I'm not at home though :(
My girlfriend complains about her astigmatism more when she's tired. Tends to get headaches. It could just be because she's tired, though :p.

Music people: If I'm writing something in 6/8, how should I beam the notes? Breaking at every eighth note (the beat according to time sig), or at the midpoint (the beat according to the music)?
I'm reading the music like: One two three Four five six. So I only have to worry about beaming through that midpoint, right? Here's an example, pretend it's a measure of sixteenth notes:
Code:
[U]xxxxxx[/U] [U]xxxxxx[/U]
1+2+3+ 4+5+6+

[U]xx[/U] [U]xx[/U] [U]xx[/U] [U]xx[/U] [U]xx[/U] [U]xx[/U]
1+ 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6+
...which one?

ShyGuy

A coworker gifted me an old-ish 32" Sony KDL-S32A12U Bravia TV from 2005-ish, which is incredibly nice and a great upgrade to my old retro CRT. It's HD ready and has a HDMI port, but obviously doesn't support 1080p, just 1080i and 720p.

Now, if I get myself a nice PS4, what would you say GAF: HD ready Bravia and comfy couch or 22" PC monitor with full HD, but comfy chair (or couch and eye strain)?

Edit: Of course, NOW I found the gaming thread. I crossposted, feel free to ignore this.
32" beats 22" IMO

I'd say early PS4 games will look better @720p on your 32" vs the 1080p on 22"

Plus, couch > hunched over desk....

For my first post, I'd like to have some help.

I've been sent a job vacancy announcement for the African Union, but I cannot seem to find their salary grid, or whatever it's called.

My google-fu skills are usually good, but today I'm lacking time to look for it seriously, as I have some urgent stuff I need to finish here.

Halp pleeze ?

KarmaCow

I watched a video on Youtube today, and it had an ad at the end of it. Do companies pay good money for this? I already watched the video I wanted to watch, why would I stick around to watch an ad?
People setup playlists and are also lazy but yes I agree it seems like a waste.

How easy would it be for me to get a job as like a cashier or a bagger at a grocery store? I'm 17 years old, graduated from high school last year, and have no job experience at all.

Collete

I desperately need a new laptop cooler and my current laptop cooler for my Lenovo y580 is just not cutting it. I currently have a U2 and it barely cools the laptop at all especially when I game (A real problem is when I play Borderlands 2 and it's almost scorching hot after 30 minutes). I repositioned the fans it comes along with but it didn't do much. Do you guys have any better recommendations?

When caterpillars metamorphize into butterflies, how do they know how to fly?

It's instinctual.

How easy would it be for me to get a job as like a cashier or a bagger at a grocery store? I'm 17 years old, graduated from high school last year, and have no job experience at all.

As a bag boy? Fairly easy, especially at places like Kroger, Wal-Mart, etc. Cashier, depending on the store, may require minimal experience.

I desperately need a new laptop cooler and my current laptop cooler for my Lenovo y580 is just not cutting it. I currently have a U2 and it barely cools the laptop at all especially when I game (A real problem is when I play Borderlands 2 and it's almost scorching hot after 30 minutes). I repositioned the fans it comes along with but it didn't do much. Do you guys have any better recommendations?

This one looks good and has nice reviews, specifically positive on the cooling aspect. I also had the U2 and it was very average from my experience.

Shags

Banned
When caterpillars metamorphize into butterflies, how do they know how to fly?

Instinct. Unlike humans, insects don't have to learn much. They are genetically programmed to do things like fly, find food, and migrate (in the case of monarchs). In some ways, this sounds like a great thing. However, there isn't as much flexibility in behavior for organisms that depend on instinct. We need to learn how to talk, walk, read, etc, but think of the flexibility we have in determining what we do with our life. Insects don't have that.

My high school had one grocery store where many of the students worked - they got so many applications that you actually had to know someone to get in. Otherwise they just put your application into a big pile/threw it out. So there's a chance that they get so many applications yours would just be another one, but it's always good to just try. Also a follow up call is pretty important even for a crappy job. Oh and try to be a female.

I'm only a sophomore in college so I remember that the job search for my first job wasn't that easy. I applied for like 5-6 jobs (minimum wage crap jobs) before I got into one place, and I only got in because my sister worked there! I wish you good luck and let me know if you get in!

Does anyone know a way to insert an image into a default email signature with Outlook Exchange OWA 2003 without admin rights and lack of advanced options?

Ahasverus

Guys can you help me with the name of a song, it's used in many movies as a "feel good" song, I don't remember the lyrics, it's kinda 60 wave, the chorus goes like "in a rainy night - end of first verse- we'll be together" (no those are not the lyrics but i can remember some vowels sounds, it sounds like an old boy band. Any guesses? Thanks!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So let's say I'm buying shoes online due to a low price, but obviously trying them on is not an option. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any wide selections available among the options, and no half-sizes, just integers all the way up. If I usually comfortably wear 9.5W or 10W, what is the best option?

Zoe

So let's say I'm buying shoes online due to a low price, but obviously trying them on is not an option. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any wide selections available among the options, and no half-sizes, just integers all the way up. If I usually comfortably wear 9.5W or 10W, what is the best option?

Did you already try Zappos? Free shipping, free returns. They encourage you trying on the shoes.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Did you already try Zappos? Free shipping, free returns. They encourage you trying on the shoes.

Amazon has 20% off shoes sold by them if you let them spam you a bit, and I saw something I liked.

A population initially consists of 20 individuals and triples every 2 hours. Write an expression that gives the population size after t hours.

How do I write this as an expression that gives the population after t hours?

MooMoo

A population initially consists of 20 individuals and triples every 2 hours. Write an expression that gives the population size after t hours.

How do I write this as an expression that gives the population after t hours?
Hopefully this is right:
p = [3^(t/2)] × 20

If youtube pays people for their content based on a certain viewership/subscription base, what's to stop a large collective of people (like 100,000 redditors, for instance) from uploading 100 videos of whatever nonsense they feel like, subscribing to each other, putting everyone's playlists on autoplay and then just raking in the cash from 100,000 people "watching" everyone else's videos? It would be time consuming, but I see no reason why people couldn't exploit youtube's pay model in such a fashion.

If each video is ten seconds long and we assume that a 30 second ad would play before each video, you could finish an entire person's playlist in one hour and seven minutes, which would come out to finishing about 20 of your fellow youtube exploiters' channels a day. Therefore, if you leave youtube running 24 hours a day and only actually utilize it to switch between the channels that you (and everyone else) has subscribed to, all 100,000 people would be able to rake in the exploitation profits in a span of 14 years. Obviously that's quite a while, but checks would be rolling in for people incrementally over that time so you'd be earning a steady supplementary income in addition to your normal job the entire time. Is it simply too much of a logistic nightmare to overcome or is there a legal/practical hurdle in the way? Because that's basically free money for a lot of people for a very long time.

edit- for increased practicality, you could disable ads before the video and only take in profit from the pop-up banners that appear while the videos are playing. This would result in one-quarter of the time requirement, bringing the time from start to completion from 14 years down to three and a half years.

If youtube pays people for their content based on a certain viewership/subscription base, what's to stop a large collective of people (like 100,000 redditors, for instance) from uploading 100 videos of whatever nonsense they feel like, subscribing to each other, putting everyone's playlists on autoplay and then just raking in the cash from 100,000 people "watching" everyone else's videos? It would be time consuming, but I see no reason why people couldn't exploit youtube's pay model in such a fashion.

If each video is ten seconds long and we assume that a 30 second ad would play before each video, you could finish an entire person's playlist in one hour and seven minutes, which would come out to finishing about 20 of your fellow youtube exploiters' channels a day. Therefore, if you leave youtube running 24 hours a day and only actually utilize it to switch between the channels that you (and everyone else) has subscribed to, all 100,000 people would be able to rake in the exploitation profits in a span of 14 years. Obviously that's quite a while, but checks would be rolling in for people incrementally over that time so you'd be earning a steady supplementary income in addition to your normal job the entire time. Is it simply too much of a logistic nightmare to overcome or is there a legal/practical hurdle in the way? Because that's basically free money for a lot of people for a very long time.

edit- for increased practicality, you could disable ads before the video and only take in profit from the pop-up banners that appear while the videos are playing. This would result in one-quarter of the time requirement, bringing the time from start to completion from 14 years down to three and a half years.

YouTube has to approve monetization of the videos and, if they're nonsensical shit, they won't be monetized. This kind of scam wouldn't likely be feasible anyway. Decent theory, though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to completely reset a Sony KDL-S32A12U tv set? I can't change any country settings (despite the menu points being explained in the manual, they are just not there for me), and I want to set it up from scratch to actually be able to use it :/

It's from the UK and appearantly it doesn't find shit in the german cable network. Maybe the parental lock is on, 'cause there are more options missing I can't get to (including parental lock). I honestly am out of ideas here.

So yeah, on the off-chance anyone actually knowing stuff about this (my Google-fu brought me nowhere), can I completely reset that thing and/or change the country settings anywhere when they're missing from the menu?

Edit: seems I searched the wrong manual. In the correct one, the menus add up and there isn't even a country selection. Dammit.

Edit2: Appearantly there's some kind of hidden service menu for those settings, but I can't get it to open :/

Edit3: Managed to find it and worked my way through putting the TV set to AEP/Europe, language and country settings to german. Still can't find more than 4 channels :/

Rokam

How come some states don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets? Especially states where it's illegal to drive without a seatbelt on.

Raynes

Guys, where can I go for free legal advice in the UK regarding the NHS? I feel I've been wronged quite badly and I'm just losing it now.

Shags

Banned
How come some states don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets? Especially states where it's illegal to drive without a seatbelt on.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/...rcyclists-rally-against-mandatory-helmet-law/

Eric Fuller of Jay, chairman of the Maine Motorcyclists Political Action Committee, said creating a helmet law in Maine also would have an economic cost for the state.

“You can’t go anywhere on a motorcycle without spending $100 a day,” he said. “I think this would drop tourism drastically. Many riders go to the Vermont border, which has a helmet law, turn around and never drop a nickel in Vermont.”

Fulton Butler of Harpswell, past president of the United Bikers of Maine, was also police chief for the town of Wiscasset for 21 years. He said wearing a helmet should be a personal choice and that data from safety testing of helmets is sketchy at best.

“A helmet will protect a head form in a laboratory up to 13.6 miles per hour,” said Butler. “Unfortunately head forms do not ride motorcycles.”

Not my opinion but just the mindset of those who oppose it.

Guys, where can I go for free legal advice in the UK regarding the NHS? I feel I've been wronged quite badly and I'm just losing it now.
This is a free one I can think of off the top of my head, but remember:
Any advice found here IS NOT legal advice. Reddit is not a substitute for a real lawyer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm looking to sell a violin (+ case and extra bow) online that I'm thinking is worth $750ish, maybe more. Should I go Craigslist or eBay with something like this?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
According to the internet, they don't sweat that much!

This, however, raised an even more important question (follow my logic till the end):

1. People commonly have toast for breakfast
  2. A lot of people also have bacon for breakfast
  3. Mid 90s popularized toasters that fly as a concept
  4. A long standing popular saying of the English language states "...when pigs fly"
  5. A popular breakfast name for pancakes and sausage are "pigs in a blanket"
  6. People refer to the warmth offered by fluffy blankets as "keeping toasty"
  7. When people burn to death, it's often described as smelling like bacon
  8. There have been medical procedures where pig organs have been transplanted into humans

Q: One of the theories of a quantum mechanics is that information cannot be [completely] destroyed and all the matter sucked into a black hole passes through a singularity and emerges as information though a white hole somewhere else in the universe. Another theory of quantum mechanics is that because there is a known limit to the umber of combination of matter within the universe, at some point, existence itself must also repeat so, theoretically, there are copies of us beyond the outskirts of our observable universe. Thus if we apply the idea of a singularity being a single point with the idea of quantum mechanics that states a given partial has another particle with an opposite spin elsewhere in the universe, can the information from another universe where our duplicates were sucked up by a black hole have resulted in a white hole in our universe that essentially jumbled the concepts of pigs and toasters yielding this strange coincidences in the English language?

For the record: I'm not drunk. I can't create threads and this seemed like the only thread where random questions went. I honestly believe that the collective power of GAF should be able to confirm or reject this idea of mine as unoriginal as some may find it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm looking to sell a violin (+ case and extra bow) online that I'm thinking is worth $750ish, maybe more. Should I go Craigslist or eBay with something like this?

Use Craigslist unless you live in Florida and don't own a gun, in which case, use eBay :(

velociraptor

So I left a glass near the window. My mum opens window. Wind blows the blinds with a great force that causes the glass to fly a meter and smash.

I attempt to clean it up by brushing away the big pieces and hoovering the rest.

Now during my cleanup of the glass, I think a verym very, very small shard grazed my the underside of my foot. Now there was a teensy amount of blood but I used antiseptic and washed under hot water. I tried using tweezers but the hole was so damn small that A: it's either in there or B: just a cut.

It's been 5 minutes since this has occurred and now the wound has sealed (damn you thrombin and fibrin!)

GAF, am I safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom