• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica |Early Access| Dive into an alien ocean of danger and beauty

Complistic

Aw man, my current playthrough has its tech progression stuck because I just cannot find another drill arm fragment... I think the only one I saw was in the Aurora. I don't believe Kyanite can be found in a non-drill form?

Use a console command to give yourself some?

Catphish

After playing this for a few hours, I decided to stop and wait for the official release. It was just so good, that I didn't want to spoil the full, intended experience.

That was like, a year ago, maybe longer, and dozens of forum and roadmap spot-checks later.

And, finally, here we are. The full release is Tuesday.

omg!

/me pees and runs in circles.

Anyone else excited?

ehead

Count me in. I stopped playing around August of last year as I didn't really have anything else to do, and I wouldn't want to spoil myself by exploring the "full" map. I'm actually pretty excited if they are open to expanding the game to other planets, but still retaining the tight survival mechanics.

Where is the love? Game came out of early access last week.

I had this game in my library for months. Played for a few minutes but performance was terrible. So i decided to wait.
Last week i watched the IGN review (9.1) and decided to give it another go. And holy crap, was i hooked.

I love that it lets you do your own thing but gives you some direction. There is a story. That you can pretty much ignore but if you choose to follow the breadcrumbs you can uncover more.
And the progression through crafting and biome exploration is nearly RPG like i think. In the beginning everything is a threat. Damn crashfish! But as you craft better equipment and go deeper you find better resources and better gear.
Some of the places you get to explore are so alien. Many times i was creeped out by what i could see or hear and specially by what i couldn't see. I enjoyed having to plan my next incursion to the depths. Food, water, batteries. Each trip was an adventure.
And the fish AI is nice. Most of them are just minding their own business. Just stay out of their way and you'll be fine.

And it's a game that it's not about killing. Of course you have to kill fish to eat. But you're not forced to go out slaughtering thousands of enemies. That's great for a change.

If you love the ocean, but specially if you dread the ocean, try this game. And avoid spoilers at all costs.

Catphish

I've been enjoying this immensely, and am so happy I waited for the 1.0 release.

The feeling of isolated explorer I get from this game is unmatched. The excitement of finding something new, the satisfaction of figuring things out, the terror of being hunted by some big ass motherf-----...

Just awesome. Love every second of it. 👍

Grimmrobe

I liked the game overall, but I was disappointed that there wasn't more enemy variety, actually. For much of the game, this is made up for by the fact that you don't know that there is not much enemy variety, and you are imagining that there is all kinds of shit out there in the murk ready to get you. But once I realised I was getting to the end of the game, I kind of felt "huh, I expected a bit more." There are the medium-sized enemies, which are all pretty much the same, and which you are all but immune to once you have the Cyclops or the Prawn. Then there are the Reapers and the Crabsquids, which are pretty easy to avoid, and even easier to just smack around with the Prawn suit. Then also the Sea Dragons, which are pretty much the same. The one time one actually noticed me and started breathing fireballs, I just jumped over it, landed on its big dumb head and started punching it until it fucked off and floated away through a wall. Much of the difficulty of the game really comes from the player's initial lack of knowledge/ fear of the environment that they're in, so once you've gotten past this what you're left with feels a little empty.

Given this lack of real content, I felt that the endgame really dragged. Once I knew I had pretty much seen everything and could go anywhere in this ocean world, the appeal of grinding up all the resources needed to complete the game was really lessened. In the end I only built about half the rocket and then gave up. It should have been maybe 20 hours long instead of 40.

Actually i was kind of relieved that there aren't typical enemies in this game. It's not a mass murdering simulator. Most creatures are just animals that will do you no harm if you stay away.
It's about exploring the unknown. So, yeah, once you know what's in there it loses some of the appeal.

Top Bottom