• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subtitles are off sync

GeekyDad

Was hoping someone could help with this. It's been a couple of weeks now. First I noticed I couldn't skip past movie ads on Prime, and yesterday I noticed the subtitles were out of sync (I know because it's a Korean movie I've watched a half dozen times already). It seems to show the subtitle about 60 seconds ahead of the scene it pertains to.

Tried other foreign movies on other networks, same thing. So it seems it's an issue with my PC. I used CCleaner to clear trackers, no luck. Any ideas? Sound card maybe?

KrakenIPA

It may not be a 3rd party hardware situation or software situation, it could be server issues from the front end. I like to cue up a movie or show and wait a bit, maybe even play a few moments out, then start it up.

Closed Caption for my own language is only okay sometimes, but I can only imagine how much get lost in translation, especially if you are streaming.

I hope you can synch it up!

Edit: what are you using to view?

Last edited:

GeekyDad

It may not be a 3rd party hardware situation or software situation, it could be server issues from the front end. I like to cue up a movie or show and wait a bit, maybe even play a few moments out, then start it up.

Closed Caption for my own language is only okay sometimes, but I can only imagine how much get lost in translation, especially if you are streaming.

When you say "using," you monitor-wise? Just watching on my PC like always. And I never had this issue before. Just in the past couple of weeks.

MastAndo

I've been watching Snowfall on Hulu and the subtitles had been out of sync for the past few days on tablet and PC. It seems better today though. Weird.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I've been watching Snowfall on Hulu and the subtitles had been out of sync for the past few days on tablet and PC. It seems better today though. Weird.

maybe a windows update shrugs or Aliens
Those definitely seem like viable reasons. Wouldn't surprise me if all these networks are using the same companies to host their products. And of course, yeah, I think there was a recent Windows update, and if any company can fuck things up on a global (literally) level, it's MS.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
When you say "using," you monitor-wise? Just watching on my PC like always. And I never had this issue before. Just in the past couple of weeks.
I think he means using a browser and if so which one or are you using the prime app?

I've always laugh at how Bezos is worth billions upon billions and Amazon have implemented the most basic video UI on the planet. Honestly, they should buy somebody like PowerDVD and make something more advanced and thorough.

91cb788DjqL.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ah...yeah, just in my browser. But again, until a couple of weeks ago, no issues. Same browser. Although, Firefox also updated, I think, not too long ago.
I guess try in a different browser and/or the app, which should let you know if the problem is at your end.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've always laugh at how Bezos is worth billions upon billions and Amazon have implemented the most basic video UI on the planet. Honestly, they should buy somebody like PowerDVD and make something more advanced and thorough.

91cb788DjqL.jpg
I think there are patents or copyrights protesting certain UI features, so all these services are slightly different. Kinda like how that one guy sued (tried to, anyway) everyone on the planet that had "lists" in their UI, all the podcasters making any money got served, IIRC.

But all I really want are really nice rewind, freeze, and frame forward options. We'll all be honest about why :p

An easy way to move from season to season as well. Amazon breaking out different seasons of the same show into seperate lists is infuriating.

Speaking of the CW, a curated "in order" list weaving all their shows together would have been DOPE. I'm truely shocked this wasn't created just for those shows because watching them all while trying to keep them somewhat in sync for any cross references or to time the crossover events was fucking impossible at times.

GeekyDad

I guess try in a different browser and/or the app, which should let you know if the problem is at your end.
Good thinking. Will do that. It could be simply an attempt on these streaming sites to try and bypass certain protections in various browsers.

Thanks

Top Bottom