• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudden slowdown in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
All of a sudden, my 800 MHz G4 iBook has slowed to all hell. There is 9GB free on the hard-drive, 256MB of ram. I come home from work, and all of a sudden it just slugs through loading applications. What the hell is going on?

And anyone who uses Kotoeri for Japanese input, how do you set it so that each window has its own input mode? Somehow it got changed so that OS X is sticking to one input mode no matter what window I'm in. Its really frustrating.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I wouldn't know what that means.
I've got to run to work for four hours, but I think I should also mention the fan seems to be working a bit more than usual. Also if I pick up the iBook, the fan makes a terrible noise.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Repairing disk permissions will likely not help anything.

I can say without equivocation that you need more memory.

RevenantKioku

Where's a good spot for laptop RAM buying purposes?

*cue goodcow saying amazon now sells RAM*

Phoenix

Yeah, might first bet would be that over time you've gone over the ability for your machine to operate happily in 256MB. Hit Amazon, MacMall.com, or MacSales.com and you're likely golden.

Repairing disk permissions can help if what's happening is related to a library that the OS is continually trying to access. You should run it every so often anyways (download Macaroni from versiontracker.com and it will handle routine maintenance tasks like this). You can get to the Disk utility in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. In the Utility select the disk and then click on the Repair permissions button.

SuperPac

I've put extra RAM in my iBook... it's a fairly painless procedure. The instructions should be in the booklet that came with the machine. The worst part about it is that I think you'll have to remove the airport card (if you have one) first. That requires some tools to unscrew some *really* tiny screws.

I run on 384 and mine's been chugging along recently too. Good thing I'm buying an iMac in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom