• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suddenly getting a severe high pitched ringing in my right ear.

NeoGuff

Banned
zmp96J6.png

GymWolf

Try some eustachian tube tests just to see if that part of your inner ear is clogged or not.

the one I remember better is you hold your nose and then try to blow the air in your lungs to the nose increasing ear pressure. basically you should feel the same on both years.

If one of them does nothing or does something different (in the spectrum of less) then the tube isn't working as it should.

It's really important for listening, I had like one year and a half where I couldn't listen to music with headphones due to it.

There's have been big improvements on non invasive tinnitus treatments in the last few years although I don't know if they're mass available yet. Plenty old musicians and actors have been using a thing to reprogram their brains to ignore the tinnitus, the way it works is basically how you learn to disregard an alarm clock, a train passing by when you live closeby and many other things.

Here it is:

-> https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-tinnitus-idUSKBN1F82MG
My collegue suffer with tinnitus and doctors told her that there is no cure or treatment.

But i live in sicily where doctors win their graduation with gasoline points, so...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My collegue suffer with tinnitus and doctors told her that there is no cure or treatment.

There's no cure, but there definitely is treatment.

Tinnitus is exacerbated by stress and anxiety. It can even be caused by it. Treating that anxiety can work wonders. Arguably those with it long term only have it long term because they are predisposed to anxiety and monitoring of it.

It's the perception of the ringing that's the issue, not the ringing itself. Plenty of people who have very loud tinnitus, but aren't bothered by it in the slightest.

The one lesson I've learned in the last few years is that the only real way to tackle tinnitus is to accept it, come to terms with it, calm down about it, and get on with your life. The more you fight, the worse it is.

Last edited:

But i live in sicily where doctors win their graduation with gasoline points, so...
My european reality is not much different, other than public sector doctors are doctors but have no equipment and no knowledge of new treatments. Specially when the patient issues are not technically life-threatening. You have to have health insurance and study the question at hand before making further moves.

But usually there is a private clinic chain in the country that is using the "revolutionary tech" and you basically have to do there.

It's funny that it happened so many times at this point, when I got operated on my shoulder Arthroscopy was only done in one place by one guy so I had to go there, my mom had to go to a place to actually treat thyroid with radioactive iodine instead of taking it out, and so on, same plot, only done at one place by one doctor. Basically almost a paid trial, except you know that elsewhere it works and is already being used on everyone.

The frustrating part is that sometimes these treatments are easy they're just not perscripted. Diabetis and autoimmune diseases in general being probably the worst ofenders, apart from new pharmaceuticals the rest is straight out of the 1950's.

EDIT: Cancer is also crazy. They don't put nutricionists on the clients with a diet plan specific for their type of cancer. Crazy.

Last edited:
I had a tinnitus scare a few years ago like OP. It got me really depressed for the day, thinking I would have to live with the sound forever.

But when I woke up next morning, it was just gone.

So yeah, good luck OP.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It could be a variety of things but if it is tinnitus like other people have already said then I genuinely feel bad for you because I have been dealing with tinnitus since I was 21 years old.

Years of highschool football practice and highschool track meets with me running around with headphones in my ears blaring my favorite music damaged me beyond repair before I could even realize that the damage was being done.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
There's no cure, but there definitely is treatment.

Tinnitus is exacerbated by stress and anxiety. It can even be caused by it. Treating that anxiety can work wonders. Arguably those with it long term only have it long term because they are predisposed to anxiety and monitoring of it.

It's the perception of the ringing that's the issue, not the ringing itself. Plenty of people who have very loud tinnitus, but aren't bothered by it in the slightest.

The one lesson I've learned in the last few years is that the only real way to tackle tinnitus is to accept it, come to terms with it, calm down about it, and get on with your life. The more you fight, the worse it is.
This. I chalk mine up to not taking proper hearing protection precautions in my youth between shooting guns, loud concerts and playing drums. But it comes down to this: the more I think about it and trying to fix it, the more it bugs me. The more I just accept it the less I notice it.

Tams

I do wash it.

As for all the tinnitus stuff, why would I be getting it? I'm super good to my ears, used to go to concerts a lot in my 20's but haven't for years? I've been out of the army for ten plus years, why is this happening now?

Sometimes these things just happen. There will be a reason, but it doesn't really matter. It could just be wear and tear, perhaps with some minor body defect (that we all pretty much have somewhere).

Damage can also take time to manifest itself. Those concerts and being in the army? Yeah, that could have helped led to it. Again, perhaps from just weakening you and it's only broken now.

Last edited:

Banned
Its tinnitus but that doesnt just popup out of nowhere especially if you never wore headphones/earphones, or work in a loud environment and never had it.

that's not true, I know someone who has Tinnitus and she got it out of nowhere, doctors found nothing that could have caused it.

Tinnitus can be psychological

GymWolf

So to avoid tinnitus, you just have to avoid any type of headphones? how do you even do that in modern society? who the hell doesn't use in-ear headphones to listen mp3 during sport, training, running, literally everything??

Do you people never use headphones when you watch a movie or play a vg and you don't want to disturb anyone?

Last edited:

Banned
So to avoid tinnitus, you just have to avoid any type of headphones? how do you even do that in modern society? who the hell doesn't use in-ear headphones to listen mp3 during sport, training, running, literally everything??

Do you people never use headphones when you watch a movie or play a vg and you don't want to disturb anyone?

I personally can't stand wearing headphones. in ear ones annoy me and big ones get uncomfortable fast.
I do use normal headphones from time to time but it's rare.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

You can wear headphones. Just don't listen at insanely loud levels.

GymWolf

I personally can't stand wearing headphones. in ear ones annoy me and big ones get uncomfortable fast.
I do use normal headphones from time to time but it's rare.
I felt the same but sometimes i'm forced to use them.

My building has paper thin walls and my neighbours hear even my farts, since i only play at night, sometimes i have to use headphones.

Or when i work and it's a boring job and i want to listen some music and quietly sing like an idiot but i can't put the music with loud volume because i have people around me that need silence etc.

GymWolf

You can wear headphones. Just don't listen at insanely loud levels.
Define loud, because for example in the platinum sony headset even on max level the volume sometimes is still pretty low, probably because the sound mixing of the game is shit so you hear low voices and highest music and effects or the opposite and to hear everything i put on max volume, but it never seems to be too high, but maybe i'm a bit deaf and i just don't realize how loud it is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
the vast majority of tinnitus is a direct symptom of prolonged exposure to loud noises / use of headphones at high volume.

Since you say you didn't have either of those, the most likely scenario here is your cold / infection causing inflamation in your inner ear and eustachian tubes. I would be shocked if it lasts longer than a week. If it does, go to a dr for a proper diagnosis.

Tinnitus relief is possible via a simple method in the mean time;

Put your palms on your ears and thump the soft spot in the back of your head with your fingers. Should resonate and feel like your head is the inside of a drum. 15-30 seconds. Makes tinnitus go away for a while for most people.

good luck

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Define loud, because for example in the platinum sony headset even on max level the volume sometimes is still pretty low, probably because the sound mixing of the game is shit so you hear low voices and highest music and effects or the opposite and to hear everything i put on max volume, but it never seems to be too high, but maybe i'm a bit deaf and i just don't realize how loud it is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Can be stress induced. Go see a doc. Had it too.
Bad thing is, there is no bulletproof solution to cure it. Sometimes it goes away by itself sometimes it doesn't.

I got some kind of infusion as the Doc said it need to be administered the same day the noise is heard, but read later that that isn't really doing much in studies.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've had tinnitus since I was fifteen, with an ear doctor determining I had no hearing damage. No discernable cause. If it turns out that's what you have, it'll suck for a while, but you'll stop caring about it after some time. You might find you can still hear each sound perfectly through the tinnitus, like any sound acts as a perfect mask for it.
If you listen to a high frequency similar to that in your ear, you might find it's silenced completely for about a minute, and some people report the tinnitus getting silenced for even an hour, or a whole day. I find they only work if I listen for a very short amount of time, like maybe a minute, or even less. If I listen for longer, the tinnitus doesn't fade. The effectiveness of any relief method I've used always deteriorates greatly the more I use it. The first relief always lasts the longest. At this point, these frequencies aren't doing much for me, but even though, typing this, I'm currently actively aware of my tinnitus, it's not much of a pest anymore. This scene from Another Earth also got me to try considering my tinnitus differently.

Here's the solution which works best for me.
9cXEIf5.png

thefool

Your post reads like you are hypochondriac. I've had ringing from time to time and it usually goes away. Normally I would advice for you to wait a few days but if you're in panic probably better to go to the doc to check that (and then the ears).

Billbofet

My tinnitus seems to get worse if I drink alcohol or shitty food - very impacted by my diet.
When I go to bed, I throw an earbud in my affected ear and listen to something chill like jazz or meditation tunes for about 15 minutes and it reduces it for me, or I just fall asleep with the bud in. I have even learned to kind of lean in to the hum as a sound that helps put me to sleep.
Mine is to the point that it sounds like I left the dryer on, but way off in the distance.

badblue

I had really bad ringing in my ears and I convinced myself it was just tinnitus... Turned out it was an infection. I was too late in going to see a doctor about it. I ended up profoundly deaf in both ears. I now have a cochlear implant to hear again (from my EARLY 20s to my 33rd year... I learned ASL and love being part of the community) ...

Don't wait... Get it checked out NOW!
Kind of had the same thing happen, I had an ear infection and also was late going to a doctor about it but I only lost a fraction of my hearing on one side... until I started working as a boilermaker.

It's fucking loud inside of those solid steel vessels. I almost always wore my hearing protection but over 15 year it all catches up. It was recommended that I get a hearing aid for my right side the last time I got my hearing checked.

@TinnitusGAF

To all those suffering from this condition I humbly ask this question. Would you choose to permanently damage/remove your ears, or would you live the rest of your life managing the symptoms?

I've had temporary tinnitus in the past from extended sessions of using earphones at higher volumes and it was absolutely unbearable. It was like somebody was drilling inside my head and no matter what I did to outrun the damn thing, it was always there.

poodaddy

This. I chalk mine up to not taking proper hearing protection precautions in my youth between shooting guns, loud concerts and playing drums. But it comes down to this: the more I think about it and trying to fix it, the more it bugs me. The more I just accept it the less I notice it.
I did all three of those things in my youth and I never touched hearing protection until it was required in the Army.

.....fuck man. Guess I'm just reaping what I sowed long ago.

I'm an idiot. Get what ya pay for in life.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
First off you have tinnitus which is almost always benign. Go to an ENT and get your ears checked.

Secondly, you need to stop freaking out. Anxiety makes tinnitus worse, and can even cause tinnitus.

The why of tinnitus isnt really important. Its starts after illnesses a lot but generally its caused by a life time worth if small damage.
Have you started new medications recently? Could be a cause that is an easy fix. Otherwise you need to start researching tinnitus habituation. Try not to look into tinnitus forums as they are full of people who either self diagnose and complain, or people with the absolutely worse cases possible that are depressing.

I have beat tinnitus multiple times. I still hear the ringing in quite rooms but I have found ways to both mentally mask the sound or otherwise ignore it. Once you habituate it mostly be ignored by your brain.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
@TinnitusGAF

To all those suffering from this condition I humbly ask this question. Would you choose to permanently damage/remove your ears, or would you live the rest of your life managing the symptoms?

I've had temporary tinnitus in the past from extended sessions of using earphones at higher volumes and it was absolutely unbearable. It was like somebody was drilling inside my head and no matter what I did to outrun the damn thing, it was always there.

My tinnitus is constant. Never goes away. Very loud.

I’d never damage my ears to stop it. It’s a noise. It’s not painful or dangerous. It can drive you crazy, but only if you let it.

badblue

Have you ever had tinnitus? Sometimes the constant droning and irritation makes you wish you were deaf.
I have premiant tinnitus and no matter how bad it gets I would not give up my hearing to end it.

I'd be loosing more then I'd gain from that trade.

Last edited:
My tinnitus is constant. Never goes away. Very loud.

I’d never damage my ears to stop it. It’s a noise. It’s not painful or dangerous. It can drive you crazy, but only if you let it.
I have premiant tinnitus and no matter how bad it gets I would not give up my hearing to end it.

Wow, I wasn't expecting two answers to be so vehemently against the idea. I supposed it comes down to the individual and whether or not they're willing to pay the price either way. It's a similar concept when it comes to neurodegenerative diseases and the whole discussion on assisted-suicide. Would you want to live your remaining days in peace and then leave or stick around longer but become a vegetable? The hard choices, the hard answers...

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I did all three of those things in my youth and I never touched hearing protection until it was required in the Army.

.....fuck man. Guess I'm just reaping what I sowed long ago.

I'm an idiot. Get what ya pay for in life.
White noise when trying to sleep helps.

There are different types though. For the most part the high pitched ringing just becomes background noise, but I've also had this clicking/rattling sensation in one ear before that just drove me nuts for the better part of a week. I think lack of sleep and stress around my previous job brought it on or something, but it was miserable when it would start up. Basically any time I heard something in the upper frequencies, my ear felt like it had a mini jackhammer going off in it. I've also heard of people having this rushing water sound/sensation driving them nuts. The CEO of Texas Roadhouse apparently got symptoms so bad after having COVID that he ended up dying by suicide.

I'm not really bugged by the level of mine unless I start focusing on it, otherwise it fairly imperceptible or just sounds like a TV or something is on. But if I had to constantly have that rapid clicking I had for a while there, I'd probably take going deaf in that ear as a tradeoff to stop it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wow, I wasn't expecting two answers to be so vehemently against the idea. I supposed it comes down to the individual and whether or not they're willing to pay the price either way. It's a similar concept when it comes to neurodegenerative diseases and the whole discussion on assisted-suicide. Would you want to live your remaining days in peace and then leave or stick around longer but become a vegetable? The hard choices, the hard answers...

Here's the thing though... if someone thinks their tinnitus is bad enough that they'd actively destroy their hearing to get rid of it, then they are severely distressed by it. That distress is the problem, not the sound. As I say, a lot of people have very loud tinnitus, and aren't bothered by it. It's all down to your personality type, and how you deal with things mentally.

Anyone can habituate to even the absolute worst tinnitus imaginable, given the right help (CBT, retraining, sound therapy, medication etc.). It's never worth doing anything to cripple yourself further.

Last edited:
Here's the thing though... if someone thinks their tinnitus is bad enough that they'd actively destroy their hearing to get rid of it, then they are severely distressed by it. That distress is the problem, not the sound. As I say, a lot of people have very loud tinnitus, and aren't bothered by it. It's all down to your personality type, and how you deal with things mentally.

Anyone can habituate to even the absolute worst tinnitus imaginable, given the right help (CBT, retraining, sound therapy, medication etc.). It's never worth doing anything to cripple yourself further.
That's the same thing I said in my previous message about it depending on the individual. What about splitting the problem and losing one of your ears instead? You'd be half crippled and will get a tonne of side-glances and comments, but you'd have the best of both worlds in that scenario. Thaedolus Thaedolus says the same thing:
But if I had to constantly have that rapid clicking I had for a while there, I'd probably take going deaf in that ear as a tradeoff to stop it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
That's the same thing I said in my previous message about it depending on the individual. What about splitting the problem and losing one of your ears instead? You'd be half crippled and will get a tonne of side-glances and comments, but you'd have the best of both worlds in that scenario. Thaedolus Thaedolus says the same thing:
I would just add that when the rattling shit would start up, hearing in that ear was basically overwhelmed and useless anyway. That's not the case with the regular old high pitched ringing I constantly hear and hardly notice unless I'm thinking about tinnitus. I don't think anyone could really adapt to the rattling, it basically overwhelmed the rest of the sound and gave me a physical sensation of something rattling too. If that was a constant sensation, I wouldn't see the point in trying to keep hearing in that ear since it was just sounding like garbled nonsense anyway.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

For the tinnitus I've got... no. Mine is loud constant and high pitched, but my hearing is perfect. I have several audiograms to prove it! Wouldn't want to affect it. But if the tinnitus had screwed my hearing up anyway, I might think different, I guess. But by them I guess it wouldn't matter!

jdforge

Banned
I was diagnosed with tinnitus a good few years ago.

Initially it made me feel a sense of despair and mania. It was non stop and in both ears.

I did some work with an audiologist about coming to terms with the condition. Not long after accepting this was the new normal, the tinnitus dissipated. Now, I wouldn’t even say I suffer from it.

Tams

@TinnitusGAF

Keep my ears.

But I've only have very mild tinnitus. Somewhere has to be almost completely silent for me to hear the ringing.

I have experienced what I assume is more like worse tinnitus when suring an exercise I forgot to put on my hearing protection and fired my rifle. Fuck me that was awful. I'd still prefer to be able to hear and put up with it though.

I got pretty bad tinnitus in 2012, when I damaged my ears with loud headphones. It was a nightmare for me when it first happened, but over time I got used to it to the point where it wasnt really an issue at all. Then the ringing got significantly worse about two months ago after I got absolutely blasted by a 4x4 horn in an underground car park (the lady held the horn for 5 seconds and I didnt defend my ears). I can always hear it (except under a pretty heavy shower) and its still giving me major anxiety, but I hope it'll get better in time.
Medical personnel in some of the youtube vids I've watched, seem pretty optimistic about curing deafness with hair cell regeneration at some point in the "near future". I can only hope that hair cell regeneration will help me before I die in the next 40-50 years.

GymWolf

It's like cutting your legs because you have a limp.

Walking like a pirate with a wooden leg always beat not walking at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom