• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggestions for older games which can run on a laptop?

Dilbert

A friend of mine is out of the country on deployment with an older laptop (Athlon mobile chip at 1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 8 MB dedicated video RAM with a Rage Mobility M1 chipset) and is DYING for entertainment. Although he's been playing Unreal Tournament '99, he would LOVE some new games.

He likes FPS games, but isn't much of a fan of RTS games as far as I know. Although I know he enjoyed MMORPGs like EverQuest for a while and think he enjoys standalone RPGs, I'm not 100% sure. When he's home, his PS2 gets far more use than his PC for gaming.

Any suggestions for older games which I might be able to find in a local store which would run on his system?

IJoel

201371.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Dues Ex 1 will run horribly on an 8MB ATI Mobility, but maybe you were being sarcastic. ;) Thief 1's actually not a bad idea. Its atmosphere holds up to this day, and that laptop would run it. Of course there's the gambit of older RTS titles, more notably Starcraft if he somehow hasn't played it.

hobbitx

A few older games I like:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Road Rash Pc Version
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Diablo I& II if he hasn't already played them
Leisure Suit Larry 7
Abuse

impirius

No FPSs, but here are three great ones that get plenty of playtime on my older laptop:
Diablo II + LOD
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Grim Fandango

I have a question here too: Will Grim Fandango work on a laptop mentioned above? (The only exception is I have a 16MB Cybershitty card and 384MB RAM). I'm sure I have well about the requirements, but I'm running Windows XP. That's the kicker. :p

And Baldur's Gate II would run fine on this kind of setup? Ooooh... I should go get that...

Any other good RPGs?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Dragona Akehi said:
I have a question here too: Will Grim Fandango work on a laptop mentioned above? (The only exception is I have a 16MB Cybershitty card and 384MB RAM). I'm sure I have well about the requirements, but I'm running Windows XP. That's the kicker. :p

And Baldur's Gate II would run fine on this kind of setup? Ooooh... I should go get that...

Any other good RPGs?

Grim Fandango should run fine on that configuration, though I think you may have to patch it to run under XP, I can't remember...

Top Bottom