• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sulon Q - AIO, wireless headset for VR, AR, spatial computing - AMD CPU/GPU & Win 10

Kayant

Update Demo -

Saw this posted on reddit, looks like a demo of the gear.

https://vimeo.com/158922156

Tracking is so stable I'd be very surprised if Microsoft wasn't helping with it's hololens tech. Then again, they are moving pretty slowly in the video.

Original post

Via - http://sulon.com/blog/sulon-q-sneak-peak

Sneak peek of the Sulon Q™, the world’s first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” headset for VR, AR and spatial computing
Dhan Balachand, CEO, Sulon Technologies Inc.

March 14th 2016
As the 2016 Game Developer Conference kicks off, virtual and augmented reality continues to be top of mind for today’s developers and consumers. And it should be. It represents the future of communication and computing, and the promise virtual reality has held for so long finally seems within grasp of today’s technologies. Today, Sulon Technologies gets one step closer to that promise, unveiling a neak peek of the Sulon Q™, the world’s first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” headset for virtual reality, augmented reality, and spatial computing.

On stage in front of more than 650 press and developers at the inaugural AMD Radeon “Capsaicin” event, I took the stage to give the world a glimpse of what we’ve been working on, showing off the forthcoming Sulon Q™ headset, and the intuitive experiences you can expect, including seamlessly transitioning from the real world to virtual worlds.

Here are some of the highlights of the Sulon Q™ headset:

Distinct “Wear and Play” design – The Sulon Q™ headset lets you take every world anywhere thanks to its simple and intuitive all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” design. There are no confusing minimum specs to be concerned with. No tangled wires to hold you back. No external tracking systems for movement or gestures. Everything you need is on-board. Just put it on and go.

VR and AR: The best of both worlds
– Enjoy the best of virtual and augmented reality using Sulon’s advanced Spatial Processing Unit which combines revolutionary, real-time machine vision technologies enabling you to effortlessly enhance the real world through augmented reality applications, and seamlessly transition from the real world to virtual worlds. The Spatial Processing Unit is an innovative mixed reality spatial computer that provides real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition.

Spatial computing with Microsoft Windows® 10
– Enjoy holographic computing interfaces once reserved for science fiction by placing applications in space in your own living room with a large, immersive 110-degree field-of-view. Multi-task like a professional putting transparent or opaque windows where you want using gestures or the wireless keyboard and mouse provided in the box.

Spatial redirection for endless virtual walks, even in your living room – With some smart perceptual tricks, Sulon’s real-time, spatial technologies let you walk around and explore virtual environments that are seemingly larger than the physical space you’re in. Enjoy a fully interactive VR experience in any space, letting you be a true participant in the virtual world, not just an observer from a single viewpoint or confined to moving using gamepads and controllers.

Console-quality graphics and powerful processing – The Sulon Q™ headset harnesses the latest in processor technology using the recently launched AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture. The full performance of 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores are unlocked through a revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), enabling the cores to share memory to work together for dramatic performance and efficiency. The result is a solution that is optimized for modern workloads and media formats, capable of driving the latest graphics APIs including DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, and able to render stunning videogame console-quality visuals on a beautiful 2560x1440 OLED display. The Sulon Q™ headset also integrates AMD’s LiquidVR technologies to help ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences.

Incredible spatial audio – Using AstoundSound® technology, used by the top game and entertainment studios in the world, the Sulon Q™ headset’s 3D spatial audio lets you hear sounds within a complete spherical soundscape with advanced room simulation software algorithms that provide outstanding depth perception using the headset’s 3.5mm audio jack in combination with custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q™ earbuds. For voice communication, the headset also includes dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.
The Sulon Q™ headset is truly an amazing piece of kit. We are working incredibly hard to make exploring virtual worlds as simple and intuitive as exploring the real one, and the Sulon Q™ headset is a big step towards that.

As a powerful and lightweight all-in-one solution that combines VR and AR capabilities with real-time spatial mapping, the Sulon Q™ headset offers an experience that’s unlike anything else. As we put the finishing touches on it and ready for launch in late spring, we hope everyone enjoys today’s sneak peek and is equally excited about the headset as we are.

Introducing Sulon Q powered by AMD

Lock if old

ekim

What a weird name. How many headsets were there announced in the last 24 months by now? I don't think many of them will see a GA.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The main question (besides the price which will measure in thousands) is the weight of this HMD.

Also, seeing how unfriendly their website is I hope they will outsource the UI,

Alexlf

Very glad to see the portable AR space expanding. Will definitely be keeping an eye one this.

Hopefully all the recent portable AR reveals lights a fire under certain other AR companies.

Will it overheat on my head?
Joke aside I was so hyped when they announced new apus on tablets aka Temash. It was the best idea, integration of cpu and gpu on a very small factor to fit in tablets with great graphics. What we got instead was nothing.
I'm typing this on a pc with AMD cpu and gpu but I still don't think this one will succeed. Not because it's a bad idea but because AMD fails at delivering their good ideas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Tracking is so stable I'd be very surprised if Microsoft wasn't helping with it's hololens tech. Then again, they are moving pretty slowly in the video.

markerless tracking has been demoed on vita a few years ago. it should be doable with decent processing power.

that cpu/gpu don't sound super powerful though, and the limited wattage won't help.

Alexlf

markerless tracking has been demoed on vita a few years ago. it should be doable with decent processing power.

that cpu/gpu don't sound super powerful though, and the limited wattage won't help.

Vitas markerless tracking was gyro only orientation as far as I know, this appears to have very solid positional tracking.

I guess the biggest question mark is that AMD APU. It seems like either it'll perform poorly or it'll burn a hole in the side of your head, but there might be a sweet spot where it does neither of those things. I mean, Gear VR is decent enough for some applications and it's wireless, so it's not so far-fetched.

Really cool demo. Is there a reason it looked so jittery? Is it jittery for the player, or just for us looking through the cam feed?

Also hopefully by Gen 3 we'll have a lot of wireless VR options and can retire our Gen 1 tether setups.

Kieli

Kind of a tough selling point when you need serious brainpower behind the company.

Oculus has Carmack and Abrash.

Vive has the Valve R&D.

Who does SulonQ have?

Sounds both expensive and cumbersome. They're essentially packing a PC inside the HMD which seems a bit much. A 35W APU sounds like it would get hot, and you can't exactly put a big battery in there either. Tetherless VR with console quality graphics will have to wait at least a few years.

timlot

Banned
This is pretty much my dream VR headset. I'm have not really been excited about VR yet because I don't have a powerful PC nor a PS4.

The fact they are saying late Spring release is interesting. Hopefully they will have demos and more info. Would love a price. I'm guessing $999.

Afrikan

so part (or the whole computer) resting on the back of your head?

man I'm just paranoid about that.

otherwise i'm intrigued as fuck.

Hale-XF11

Now we just need to reach the point where the computer you wear on your head is as powerful as a desktop needed to run a Rift or Vive. That will be amazing when that day comes.

Top Bottom