• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Watamote 1/2

Dropped, not because it's bad don't get me wrong, but it's making me cringe because it reminds me so much of myself in high school :/ I can't laugh at the humor because it kind of feels like I'm laughing at myself

Nothing wrong with laughing at yourself sometimes.

And that's the part that I warned people about when it might make you cringe. It hurts especially since you guys are anime fans, and thus far more likely to feel inline with what it's doing
because stereotypes

Also found it neat as I was thinking of Heartcatch 2 making use of a new crew while there was a possibility for older versions of the previous group could come in every now and again.

Umakoshi drew designs for adult Heartcatches?! What the fuck?!

tumblr_mpf91nZwMx1rs0y9xo1_500.jpg

Right click>save as.
I want my HeartCatch 2 now.

And that's the part that I warned people about when it might make you cringe. It hurts especially since you guys are anime fans, and thus far more likely to feel inline with what it's doing
because stereotypes

Most of it is just secondhand embarrassment to me. I'm super shy but I was never as incredibly awkward or antisocial as Tomoko.

Firehead

Right, need some anime recommendations, please.
Queue on crunchyroll looks like this at the moment:
Hunter x Hunter
Gurren Lagann
Valvrave
Space Brothers
Devil Survivor 2 (Is this any good anyways?)
Flowers of Evil
Gargantia
Attack on Titan (When does it turn to shit? :( )
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Fist of the North Star
My Ordinary Life
Polar Bear Cafe
Free!
Bakemonogatari
Watamote

survivor

Banned
Hunter x Hunter
Gurren Lagann
Valvrave
Space Brothers
Flowers of Evil
Gargantia
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Fist of the North Star
My Ordinary Life
Polar Bear Cafe
Free!
Bakemonogatari
Watamote
Add Tsuritama to the queue.

cjkeats

Hunter x Hunter
Gurren Lagann
Valvrave
Space Brothers
Flowers of Evil
Gargantia
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Fist of the North Star
My Ordinary Life
Polar Bear Cafe
Free!
Bakemonogatari
Watamote

I'd start with Flowers of Evil, Bakemonogatari, and Watamote out of those.
Oh, and My Ordinary Life. I forget that's Nichijou sometimes.

jgminto

Hunter x Hunter
Gurren Lagann
Valvrave
Space Brothers
Flowers of Evil
Gargantia
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Fist of the North Star
My Ordinary Life
Polar Bear Cafe
Free!
Bakemonogatari
Watamote

Definitely get rid of Devil Survivor 2, it's shit.

santeesioux

because stereotypes

I hid my power level in school and no one knew i watched anime, it helped in the long run. I was a bit of a shy kid, but no where near as bad as the MC in that show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Flowers of Evil
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Bakemonogatari

Watch the bolded and get rid of Devil Survivor 2. I've been having fun with Attack on Titan but people who've read the manga have been mentioning that their pacing as of late has been quite terrible. Up to you on that one.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Umakoshi drew designs for adult Heartcatches?! What the fuck?!

tumblr_mpf91nZwMx1rs0y9xo1_500.jpg

hnnnnng_zpse95a32d0.gif

Seriously, make this Toei. MAKE THIS!!

Danganronpa 01:

Danganronpa01_zps342d6fe2.jpg

Best girl

Maybe it's because I just finished playing this but the episode felt really rushed in terms of pacing.

Nothing wrong with laughing at yourself sometimes.

I laugh at myself all the time, but I still have a lot of anxiety and in high school it was so bad it almost caused me to kill myself and I ended up in a psych ward. Seeing Watamote use killing herself as a tool to get what she wants from her brother and I'm supposed to view that as a "comedy" moment just rubs salt in some really deep wounds.

Tenumi

Banned
I laugh at myself all the time, but I still have a lot of anxiety and in high school it was so bad it almost caused me to kill myself and I ended up in a psych ward. Seeing Watamote use killing herself as a tool to get what she wants from her brother and I'm supposed to view that as a "comedy" moment just rubs salt in some really deep wounds.

I completely understand. Right now I've got huge anxiety and stress issues. But I guess my personality meshes well with the show or something. Anime's always been a bit of an escape for me. This show just made me smile more than anything.

Uraizen

Banned

Yeah... it hurts when you feel like something is mocking you or making light of a situation that has affected you deeply. Watamote is not one of those for me, but I know how ya feel. Drop it and don't look back.

I completely understand. Right now I've got huge anxiety and stress issues. But I guess my personality meshes well with the show or something. Anime's always been a bit of an escape for me. This show just made me smile more than anything.

It's too bad because honestly I can see so much awesome in the show, I'll probably just stick to reading the manga version I feel like I'd be able to handle the awkwardness better in page form.

Sunday Without God 1

Really like this show, they're laying the mystery and intrigue on thick already in this first episode and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah....dont continue this. Dont do that to yourself.
*hugs

Tenumi

Banned
It's too bad because honestly I can see so much awesome in the show, I'll probably just stick to reading the manga version I feel like I'd be able to handle the awkwardness better in page form.

It kinda reminds me of back when Another was airing. I was looking forward to it, until all the deaths started happening, and it gave me an anxious feel, like even though the circumstances were one in a million, they felt too real to me. I had to stop watching it after that and I don't regret that decision one bit.

Sometimes, we need to do the best for our minds.

Narag

Hunter x Hunter
Gurren Lagann
Valvrave
Space Brothers
Flowers of Evil
Gargantia
Attack on Titan (When does it turn to shit? :( )Episode 9 or 10.
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fate / Zero
Fist of the North Star
My Ordinary Life
Polar Bear Cafe
Free!
Bakemonogatari
Watamote

All I have to add.

Add Tsuritama to the queue.

Well do this too.

That suicide threat part may have been a bit much, especially for being played as comedy, but that just seems par for the course when Japan has such a wildly different view of suicide compared to the west.

But yeah, other than that, I think it's a pretty damn accurate look into the mind of someone with severe social anxiety (and other such problems). Dropping it because it makes you uncomfortable will still not seeing it as bad is perfectly fine. Hell, I did that with Goodnight Punpun and haven't looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom