• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

I feel like a bad hipster but I thought Mononoke Hime was mediocre. It didn't tell me anything new about Miyazaki or the medium, it had some bad CG and other Ghibli films have a much more cohesive visual world. To me it seemed rather hollow, around that period of Miyazaki's career I much preferred Spirited Away which, while pretty flawed, came across as really fun and earnest.

Totoro is the bestest though :3

Does it differentiate itself from Fate/Stay Night or is it more or less the same?

Prequel, based on a series of light novels by the man who brought you Madoka, and animated by a decent anime studio. Generally considered the best thing in the Fate franchise as far as I'm aware.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I feel like a bad hipster but I thought Mononoke Hime was mediocre. It didn't tell me anything new about Miyazaki or the medium, it had some bad CG and other Ghibli films have a much more cohesive visual world. To me it seemed rather hollow, around that period of Miyazaki's career I much preferred Spirited Away which, while pretty flawed, came across as really fun and earnest.

I prefered Princess Mononoke to Spirited Away the first time I saw it, but I watched it much more recently than Spirited Away, so I don't really have a good means for comparison.

Basically, I should rewatch Spirited Away :p

Linkhero1

Okay, okay. You guys convinced me! Added :p

Looking at you're list, I suggest watching Kino's Journey, Yu Yu hakusho, and Michiko to Hatchin

I've seen a bit of Yu Yu Hakusho before and liked what I saw. I'll add it.

I think I'd like a bit more psychological thrillers too. I'm not sure what's good and bad.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Nothing wrong with that.

Porco Rosso > Totoro > Spirited Away > Whatever > Earthsea

Gingitsune looks like something Boss Doggie/Ookami-kun would be interested in:

002.png

Jex

I just watched Nausicaa for the first time, actually. It works as an adventure film, but I didn't find the characters that interesting aside from Nausicaa herself, kind of, and in its environmental themes it feels like a dry run for their more nuanced exploration in Princess Mononoke. The world design is ace though. The forest is incredible.

I actually used to think that way too, and it's pretty natural. Mononoke is clearly a later work in his career and it's obviously a far more refined version of the ideas he explored earlier. However, after going through Miyazaki's catalogue numerous times I've eventually come around to feeling while Monokoe has more developed characters and a refined message it's just a bit stale and lifeless, where as Nausicaa is far simpler and more enjoyable 'adventure' movie. It's reminiscent of that dynamic, energetic Miyazaki who was really exploring new ideas in really creative ways.

It's like, on paper I can acknowledge that Princess Mononoke is his most accomplished movie but I don't actually like it nearly as much as many of his other works. It just lacks a certain undefinable magic which I could probably define far better if I was actually good at critiquing a work.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) Episode 2: Yea, for a show that some people profess is not a comedy, this show features a lot of attempted comedy. Anyway, if you liked the first episode, this one continues along nicely with some equestrian antics. Personally I still can't give a shit about this run of the mill high school drama wrapped around the farm setting. Recommend that you watch the 1980s American sitcom instead.

Hattori

Banned
Okay, okay. You guys convinced me! Added :p

I've seen a bit of Yu Yu Hakusho before and liked what I saw. I'll add it.

I think I'd like a bit more psychological thrillers too. I'm not sure what's good and bad.

Paranoia Agent, Boogiepop Phantom, Paprika, Perfect Blue, and maybe Mirai Nikki are just some I can remember seeing.

I actually used to think that way too, and it's pretty natural. Mononoke is clearly a later work in his career and it's obviously a far more refined version of the ideas he explored earlier. However, after going through Miyazaki's catalogue numerous times I've eventually come around to feeling while Monokoe has more developed characters and a refined message it's just a bit stale and lifeless, where as Nausicaa is far simpler and more enjoyable 'adventure' movie. It's reminiscent of that dynamic, energetic Miyazaki who was really exploring new ideas in really creative ways.

It's like, on paper I can acknowledge that Princess Mononoke is his most accomplished movie but I don't actually like it nearly as much as many of his other works. It just lacks a certain undefinable magic which I could probably define far better if I was actually good at critiquing a work.

I must admit I haven't watched Princess Mononoke in a decade or so, so I should rewatch it before coming to a firm critical opinion on it.

At any rate, as an adventure film I don't think Nausicaa matches Castle in the Sky or Castle of Cagliostro in Miyazaki's filmography.

Shergal

/XX/ or someone might have to back me up (or shut me up) on this one, but IIRC, Miyazaki ended up making Mononoke partly because he wanted to 'prove' that he could make that kind of action flick at his age.
If true, I guess it's natural it doesn't feel as magical and adventurous as some of his other work. I agree that it's a well-crafted narrative, although I wouldn't call it his most accomplished film in terms of the overall audiovisual package. But that may just be me.

CorvoSol

I knew by a certain point they weren't gonna introduce anymore teams, but if they did I was expecting either a :DTL team or a threeway/triple pilot/Crimson Tyhpon team.

A threeway team would've been an interesting dynamic to have.

I already shot you down for this bro, so please..

Its have different mood, message and plot.
EVA never about love story.

And I never shot down a show for originality (like I said before they're overrated)
either.

TTGL is shameless rip-off to Shin Getter Armageddon, and you think I give a fuck?LOL NOOOO
Maybe you do if actually watch that.

Rah Xephon would have to do something original for a change before I could ever care. In 15 episodes it didn't, though, so I dropped it. It was just "See Shinji Ikari working at NERV. His single parent is a jerk. Oh look it is an emotionless alien girl. Hey now it is that episode where Shinji gets pulled inside the Angel. And here's the one with long legs. And here's the implication of a romantic relationship between Shinji and the woman he lives with. Here's the mysterious scientist. Here's the scruffy reporter talking to Misato about the secrets behind NERV."

If there was a love story in Rah Xephon, I never saw it. Not unless the love story was about how much the guy making the show loved Eva and wished he was making that.

Eureka Seven Zero Seven

Being Renton is suffering. He's lucky that Eureka is seemingly clueless and a cool person!
Seriously though what has Renton done to deserve this? Also Moony doesn't deserve that ass.

At this point in the series I feel like Eureka was the only reason Renton was still with Gekko State.

Eureka Seven 08

Can't say I wasn't expecting it though. Eureka faces are best faces.
Also they've really started trying to lay that 'serious' intrigue down. Curious to see where this is going.

Hate them so much.

Andrew J.

Is the third arc
the one in the mine?
Because if so I can agree to that. But once
Ray and Charles show up it doesn't matter because it is a straight shot of amazing until the end from there on out.

It's been many years since I saw Eureka 7-on its first Adult Swim run, in fact-but I recall there were a few episodes near the end where Renton and Eureka were wandering around a desolate beach for what seemed like forever.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
A threeway team would've been an interesting dynamic to have.

But which kind? Hmmm....

Rah Xephon would have to do something original for a change before I could ever care. In 15 episodes it didn't, though, so I dropped it. It was just "See Shinji Ikari working at NERV. His single parent is a jerk. Oh look it is an emotionless alien girl. Hey now it is that episode where Shinji gets pulled inside the Angel. And here's the one with long legs. And here's the implication of a romantic relationship between Shinji and the woman he lives with. Here's the mysterious scientist. Here's the scruffy reporter talking to Misato about the secrets behind NERV."

If there was a love story in Rah Xephon, I never saw it. Not unless the love story was about how much the guy making the show loved Eva and wished he was making that.

Uhh...I know you hate RahXephon but I thought the love story/romance focus was fairly obvious, though it gets more spotlight later on then when you dropped it though, iirc. I don't know how you could've missed it.

Jex

I must admit I haven't watched Princess Mononoke in a decade or so, so I should rewatch it before coming to a firm critical opinion on it.

At any rate, as an adventure film I don't think Nausicaa matches Castle in the Sky or Castle of Cagliostro in Miyazaki's filmography.

I wouldn't disagree there, those two movies are pretty fantastic. I think the world of Nausicaa is easily the most fascinating world in any of his movies which is no doubt part of the movies enduring popularity, besides the character of Nausicaa herself.

Anyone interested in seeing a series with a Nausicaa-like character should watch Kemono no Sōja, even though the production quality is pretty bad and they clearly have budget issues and there's lots of annoying flashbacks. Wow, I'm really not selling that very well am I? It's a really well written show which I'd recommend despite all the aforementioned problems, which should let you know that it's worth investigating.

GuessWho

ok can anyone help me identify an anime show for me. It seemed like an 90's or maybe 80's show about some guy in a red and white suit and a princess in a pink suit. They had this spaceship that would kick some ass. I believe the guy had a staff and the girl a wand of some sort.
It's all hazy to me but I seem to recall that the last episode I've seen had this fat guy in a green suit and they were stuck in swamp and were about to fight him.
Hope it helps. Thanks

Jex

One Ghibli film I liked a lot but nobody ever talks about is Ocean Waves. Left in the annals of history.

Well there's so many reasons for that:

- Not a theatrical release so it's only 'TV' quality, although as it's a Ghibli production it looks pretty darn good.

- Set in modern day Japan, not an interesting fantasy land.

- Realistic, slow drama about teenagers.

- Not made any big names at Ghibli.

Jarmel

Banned
everyone knows pukey guys in Eureka 7 are the worst

Indeed.

Well there's so many reasons for that:

- Not a theatrical release so it's only 'TV' quality, although as it's a Ghibli production it looks pretty darn good.

- Set in modern day Japan, not an interesting fantasy land.

- Realistic, slow drama about teenagers.

- Not made any big names at Ghibli.

Oh I know. Still like nobody ever mentions it even in passing.

Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Monoke are my favourite ghibli films.

I haven't watched Spirited Away yet and Howls Moving Castle always comes on Channel 4 but I can never be bothered to watch it.

cnet128

Banned
So I bet you've all been wondering why I wasn't posting for the last, like, three or four pages!

No? Nobody? Oh well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

I was doing what I should have done a long time ago and putting together a MyAnimeList and Hummingbird account of my very own, of course! That was...significantly more work than I expected. And I'm not sure if I'm happy with some of the ratings I gave stuff, especially on Hummingbird where there are only five rating levels >.> But meh.

Now the only question is whether I'll be able to keep either (let alone both) of these up to date! The common-sense side of my brain is telling me the answer is no, but the "DUDE IF YOU DON'T YOU JUST WASTED HOURS OF YOUR LIFE" side of my brain is telling me...well, I think you get the idea.

Sigh.

The real unjustly neglected Ghibli film is My Neighbors the Yamadas.

I think the world of Nausicaa is easily the most fascinating world in any of his movies which is no doubt part of the movies enduring popularity, besides the character of Nausicaa herself.

This is certainly the case. It's really the only Miyazaki film with a fully imagined fictional world. His other films pretty much all have pseudo-real world settings, either historical (Porco Rosso) or contemporary (My Neighbor Totoro).

Hattori

Banned
ok can anyone help me identify an anime show for me. It seemed like an 90's or maybe 80's show about some guy in a red and white suit and a princess in a pink suit. They had this spaceship that would kick some ass. I believe the guy had a staff and the girl a wand of some sort.
It's all hazy to me but I seem to recall that the last episode I've seen had this fat guy in a green suit and they were stuck in swamp and were about to fight him.
Hope it helps. Thanks

This perhaps? (it's got a princess and a guy, and has space opera battles as far as I remember)

rKPeakr.jpg

So I bet you've all been wondering why I wasn't posting for the last, like, three or four pages!

I was doing what I should have done a long time ago and putting together a MyAnimeList and Hummingbird account of my very own, of course! That was...significantly more work than I expected. And I'm not sure if I'm happy with some of the ratings I gave stuff, especially on Hummingbird where there are only five rating levels >.> But meh.

Now the only question is whether I'll be able to keep either (let alone both) of these up to date! The common-sense side of my brain is telling me the answer is no, but the "DUDE IF YOU DON'T YOU JUST WASTED HOURS OF YOUR LIFE" side of my brain is telling me...well, I think you get the idea.

Sigh.

I hope you didn't do the HB one manually since it has a thing that migrates your MAL stuff.

So I decided to join the revolution.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01

This might just be a bit too fabulous, even for a fabulous dude such as myself.
Loved how nonchalant Utena was about everything in the end there. "Eh, better just forget about it." Right.

Tenumi

Banned

Sigh.

I think half the reason I watch anime is so I can click buttons that say I watched an episode.

Theonik

Sigh.
You can update MAL then import it to hummingbird. That said it's easy to update after each episode/chunk you watch. That's what I do.

The real unjustly neglected Ghibli film is My Neighbors the Yamadas.
Still need to see it. Maybe I should order it with Porco Rosso.

I think half the reason I watch anime is so I can click buttons that say I watched an episode.
lol
;_;

GuessWho

This perhaps? (it's got a princess and a guy, and has space opera battles as far as I remember)

rKPeakr.jpg

nah that's not it. The guy can literally stand on his spaceship lol
he basically just fucks people (and spaceships) up with his staff. It was also on american tv if that helps.

cnet128

Banned
I hope you didn't do the HB one manually since it has a thing that migrates your MAL stuff.

Don't worry, I took advantage of the migration feature XD

...Then I had to go through and look at all my scale-of-ten ratings that had been converted into scale-of-five ratings and adjust lots of them so they didn't look so wrong ~.~

CorvoSol

It's been many years since I saw Eureka 7-on its first Adult Swim run, in fact-but I recall there were a few episodes near the end where Renton and Eureka were wandering around a desolate beach for what seemed like forever.

Oh, yeah, I guess you could count that, but I only found that bad 'cuz the world's worst characters followed along for the ride.

But which kind? Hmmm....

Uhh...I know you hate RahXephon but I thought the love story/romance focus was fairly obvious, though it gets more spotlight later on then when you dropped it though, iirc. I don't know how you could've missed it.

There was no love story in the 15 episodes I watched. There was like, some ship teasing going on between Ayato and Haruka and her sister and I guess with Rei Ayanami, but nothing I'd call a full blown love story. Unless we're talking about
Yellow Scarf Girl, who'd been dead like, the entire show.

Mostly it just bored me to tears because Rah Xephon was just :words and reruns of Evangelion.

everyone knows the kids in Eureka 7 are the worst

It's what I keep sayin'.

She's probably the only reason why he joined them in the first place.

Well, I think initially he also
might've joined because he thought they were cool. Holland has all the trappings of an anime cool guy, after all.

So I decided to join the revolution.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01

This might just be a bit too fabulous, even for a fabulous dude such as myself.
Loved how nonchalant Utena was about everything in the end there. "Eh, better just forget about it." Right.

But is it dub or sub?

Theonik

I didn't care for any Miyazaki movie besides Grave of the Fireflies, and I didn't even cry in that one.

I'm sorry
That's not even a Miyazaki film. It belongs to the much more competent Takahata Isao!

Well, I think initially he also
might've joined because he thought they were cool. Holland has all the trappings of an anime cool guy, after all.
That was surely a factor but I doubt he'd have been pushed over the edge with just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom