• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does 'DTL' mean? Google tells me "does the look" but that doesn't seem to fit. Is it a reference to one of the GAF users here that someone abbreviated to DTL iirc? Anyways, explanations folks!

Hugstable

Banned
Rider only gets more awesome as the show goes on. Like he takes everything that is manly ans makes it manlier. He's also the ultimate bro and best leader.

I'd follow that man to hell and back with a tea spoon and squirtgun as my only defense and I'd still be the happiest man ever.

I'd go DTL for rider. That magnificent bastard. The stallion that will mount the world.

He's even better in English dub because he's voiced by Liam o brien. And he makes everything he's in better. Also rider is voiced by none other than Lu Bu. Seriously what better choice could there be for voicing rider?

I'm liking his voice in Japanese so much, now I kinda wanna hear what Rider sounds like in English also. I'm gonna stick with the sub for the anime though.

What does 'DTL' mean? Google tells me "does the look" but that doesn't seem to fit. Is it a reference to one of the GAF users here that someone abbreviated to DTL iirc? Anyways, explanations folks!
DTL is a user here. To keep it simple

DTL: Yaoi
SDBurton: Yuri
Theonik: Butts
Cnet: lolis
Zach: gross monster girls
Woofdawg: everything awesome

Well that's not good. :(

So like 200's, 300's ? That's not good at all. :(

Blubeard's master is Ryuunosuke Uryuu. (Does Bluebeard even have a beard in this show ? )

Well despite lack of saguka I thought some early battles were pretty well done like Arlong Park and Alabasta but if you still don't like the series after Arlong Park it probaly isn't for you. Personally I think OP is easily the best of big three by far.

Pooya

You're pretty exaggerating jebus, there's nothing wrong with her claim IMO

I think F/Z does use some sexism as plot device but there's nothing malicious in it and doesn't mean to belittle one gender, its not showing anything more than True Detective more for example, like duckroll said there's some sight about female that told from male-centric point of view and ego in the show. I want said more but afraid gonna spoiling something from femme.

exaggerating what?

that was yesterday's issue, today it's about that one scene and her claim of Saber being told at all is sexism in itself and I think that's invalid entirely.

in response she's pretty much calling me sexist instead, ridiculous.

Cajun: everything moe
Firehawk I have no idea what his is. Is it ranting about a good show he's nitpicking before he goes to watch some crappy one and not say anything?

fertygo

exaggerating what?

that was yesterday's issue, today it's about that one scene and her claim of Saber being told at all is sexism in itself and I think that's invalid entirely.

in response she's pretty much calling me sexist instead, ridiculous.

The talk about don't want to see her at real life, maybe I'm just fail to see the sensitive context there, I'm sorry then if so.

BluWacky

cajun: squee
firehawk: troll

Poor firehawk. No longer is he wistful at the ephemeral and bittersweet nature of things that must come to an end.

(weirdly, thus making him a literal embodiment of mono no aware and thus, in himself, :firehawk)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since there's going to be confusion of misinformation here is the correct list:

:chet = life, particularly large ones. The more :chet the better.
:thonik = hometown
:dtl = yaoi
:sdburton: yuri
:cajun = hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
:firehawk = mono no aware
:wonzo = QUALITY
:duckroll = false hype (not to be confused with duckroll future which is CG)
:cnet = [post=81717473]Oh dear oh dear oh dear[/post]
:kayos = a state of confusion that is unique to the member kayos90

mankoto

Hamatora 2
I didn't notice this before, but what's with the coloring? I didn't mind it early on, but now I'm seeing light blotches of red just about everywhere that isn't a character's face and some articles of clothing. It took a while to get that my TV didn't suddenly break.

Firemind

:lol

animegaf, folks.

I love how some people would need a translator to understand this list.

cnet scares me.

I hope people understand wonzo is like gonzo and means hilariously bad.

New Life goal, establish a :midnight

Back to anime....

Hyouka 16 - I am Very Curious!!!!!

KyoAni are such teases. I thought for a second there we might see the sister but clever angles prevented that from happening! Chitanda is still super funny to watch. Oreki seeing her getting interested and trying to prevent it as fast as possible was hilarious. Fukube seems to be getting more and more frustrated. It definitely
showed this episode with his outburst to Oreki
. Something is going on with him and I hope it gets resolved soon.

Ah it's so great to get back into this show. It's so good!

Does the show change anything or do anything different? I'm up to episode 6 and the only thing it has going for it is the superb animation. I dunno the show is just really slow and boring, the mysteries they've encountered so far are really dull and only serve to bring Oreki and Chitanda closer to each other which is weird because if i recall this show is not a romance right?

I'm gonna give it a few more eps but if it doesn't improve I might drop it

phaze

He tried so hard. He wasn't perfect and fucked up a lot but damn did he try to do the right thing. He was my favorite.

F/Z end spoilers
Yup, that troll ending for him hit me hard. :(

Well despite lack of saguka I thought some early battles were pretty well done like Arlong Park and Alabasta but if you still don't like the series after Arlong Park it probaly isn't for you. Personally I think OP is easily the best of big three by far.

Yeah, Arlong arc is probably going to be the sink or swim point for me. I managed to get into HxH only after like 37 episodes so maybe it will happen here as well.

Shergal

Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene (Majokko)
This movie was great. One of the best things I've watched all year, probably the most impressive, confident work ufotable have put out yet.

It's no surprise since Takayuki Hirao is the director, and he shows what he can do when freed of the Nasu-shackles that left a sour spot in his Kara no Kyoukai film.

The most striking feature of that film was its rhytmical, snappy editing that felt almost avant-garde in its extremity yet it was what gave the whole film its form and structure. With Majokko, there's not such a fundamental connection between the two aspects, but the lyrical editing is as assured as ever. For the first half of the film, it's hard not to be overwhelmed as every shot flows organically into each other with a rhythm that sets the entire tone by itself. It's snappy, it's whimsical, and it's a joy to watch. There's a point where the editing gets so extreme that the movie just bursts into a dance number that feels entirely part of the flow and organic. That's how well-made it is.

As the movie closes its second act and starts getting ready for the climax, it gradually adopts more standard forms and starts feeling more like a traditional adventure blockbuster, similarly to how KnK 5 dropped its shenanigans once the jig was up. Whereas in KnK that gave room for the awful script and world to overtake what was up until that point a flawless film, Majokko isn't dragged back by those hindrances and remains free to keep up not just in spectacle, but in theme as well.

It was interesting watching this back to back with Patema Inverted, because by the end I was thinking that the complaints I had with the latter could also be elevated to Majokko, but my reaction to both films couldn't be more different. It probably has to do not only with how much more gorgeous and breathtaking the set-pieces are here, but also to how much more confident the film feels in itself. It touches upon some interesting subjects, but it doesn't dwell in them. It trusts the viewer to glean what is important directly from the events, instead of grinding to a halt to have them catch-up, and its characterization is much more evenly-handed than in Patema, being distributed across the runtime and serving its place on the whole package of the film, as opposed to being what everything hinges on.
Maybe the only real issue I had with the film is that there was no reason to
turn Yoyo into a teen as she crossed worlds, lol. I guess there's a place for marketing as well, but they could just as easily have her be in the 'teen version' from the beginning with no real issue.
this is as minor as it could be, obviously.

Lastly, there's really no emphasizing just how good this looks. Not just the animation, which is excellent on all fronts- character acting, effects, moving backgrounds, use of 3D space-, but the art and more specifically the colour direction are very well-realized.

Samurai Jam-Bakumatsu Rock Episode 1

Compared to UtaPri, I like Utapri better, could get into all the characters instantly and the music was simply amazing with the light plot stuff. The plot here is chuckle inducing at times (everyone massively obsessed with Okita-sama (best) or even Hijikata-sama, enough to beg to be arrested so they could meet him), but some of it is dull.

Definitely want to hear Okita sing much more
tumblr_n8c6a9JoNT1rwiq6fo4_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom