• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angel Beats! (seen 2010)

I ranted already two times in this thread about it, might as well give it a third time. I am a big fan of Key-Adaptions. So I very was excited when "Angel Beats!" was announced since it was written by Jun Maeda. Sadly, as it turned out, "Angel Beats!" wasn't even close to the other Key shows. It was nothing short of a mess, that just made twists up as it went along and struggled to balance drama and humor. One just interfered with the other and I was at the same time mad that my funny scenes where disrupted by weird drama and that tension was completely destroyed by stupid jokes. Plus, a lot of the "plot" was based on people being dumb and far too judgmental.
This show was so bad, that I actively searched the net for opinions on the show to validate my own (and ignore others of course). This is when I found a german anime blog and decided after a few weeks to get my own, to promote anime and manga I thought were actually good (I ended up hating on stuff eventually, but that's a different story).
Angel beats is not that bad. i'll be the first to admit that it had some very low points and that the visuals aren't exactly even BUT i couldn't dislike it.

There are a lot of characters in angel beats that i trully enjoyed seeing and in the end years and months after i've seen it i don't have a bad taste and i could even watch it again.
That's more than i could say about plenty of "key" show.
It's funny i love visual novels but i hate 95% of what "key" has done ..so angel beats is alright
Fractale (seen 2011)

Yamakan paid dearly for this, so I am at least a bit satisfied in that regard. I had trust in this show, I liked the first episodes, I loved the irish landscape and the setting, but it was all spilled down the gutter in an bad paced show that just forgot valid and interesting points,
like that even if the system wasn't flawless disabled and comatose people profited greatly from it. What they do, when the system is eventually destroyed and humanity has to care for itself again? Thought shit, eh.
. Also the characters were just inconsistent and behaved as the plot needed them to behave. This goes especially for Phryne.
I was so destroyed internally and despised by yours truly hyping it on my blog and defending it, even when it was already clear that it goes down like the Hindenburg, that I stopped blogging after the show ended, a hobby that generally brought me great enjoyment.
Fractale was an Incredible disapointment , mainly because as much as i didn't dislike the journey, not only i don't like the end but i don't like most of what the show tried to do and to explain. I hoped , i trully hoped that there would be Something that would push this show up..but nothing came. I was left with pretty characters ina confusing world to follow and no really motivation to seek more of it.
Wasn't that bad but once you see it once, you probably don't want to see it again!

Kanokon (seen 2009)

This show is special among this list, since it was never a good show in the first place and someone with half of a monkey brain would've known that. Sadly, I don't even have half of a monkey brain and so I started the show with my vow to never drop a show that I begun watching.
This show made me abolish my no-drop-rule. From there on I hold loosely onto the 3-episode-rule and dropped shows at will. Never, never again would I punish myself through a pile of lame butts- and boobsjokes.
I thought it was OBVIOUS that it would be a perverted show and it had NOTHING aside from that.. For me the opening and the first episode made it quite clear.
At least this show did something good since you've dropped a "no drop " rule that is ridiculous in itself given that some anime just aren't worth it.

I like Kanokon but i don't mistake it for what it is , a perverted show

Shangri-La (seen 2009)

Cajun-sama probably hates this entry. Shangri-La was a promising show with an interesting set of ideas, ranging from a kinda parenthood of transvestites over environmentalism to a class system. And then more ideas like religion, a small system of fear and the journey to adulthood entered. And then more. And more and more. The show eventually collapsed under it's rich deck of ideas and became a mess that wanted to talk about everything, but ended up handling everything poorly.
The worst: in between this war of concepts and messages the characters completely drowned, some went MIA, others were reduced to a mere tool to drive the messages and maybe the most fatal of all: the protagonist had no time to evolve. She just stayed like she was with no lasting character development.
This show brought me to make a list on anisearch.de, the german equivalent to MAL, just to give it a bad score.
Shangri-la is a disapointment... it's again a case of an anime that goes nowhere with his theme. It's supposed to be about economy & ecology with a flagrance of anime fantasy yet it fails ( in the end ) at everything.
Still it was just a nice journey that ended badly. i think that a big part of the show still works so i don't consider it to be a failure..
However the ending was nonsense. It was probably a bad idea to mix pollution , ecology, economy and magic in the same world. in the end after so much mixing it was a mess.

True Tears (seen 2009)

I almost cried true tears, but not based on the things the anime wanted me to. At the time I was blown away by how good it looked and what a sweet cuckoolander Noe was. I really liked her and her interaction with Protagonist. But then the plot came and
took everything from me for the sake of freaking blankface
. And this piece of shit, just to trample on my feelings, went out of it's way to end the show literally with
Noe crying lonely in the snow
. Just to piss me in the face like I am freaking Brear Grylls. I want this show to be a human so I could murder it.

True tears is a show that broke boundaries.
It's the ONLY SHOW that you can just stop at some episodes and get teh ending you want.
Like this girl and want her to win ? stop at ep 7 !
Like this another stop at ep 12!
And so on. It literrally invented the omnibus effect before amagami.

cajunator

Banned
cajun pushed me into buying figurines and made me love cute things.

speaking of which, did you see in the KLK thread the senketsu fashion week figure?

Nopies! not yet.

Ah, how fast time passes! The iconic of yesterday is the forgotten of today, but for me cajunator's avatar will always be a cute penguin. :-D

I definitely remember that one. I should bring it back sometime if I can find it!

Oh and I remember what my other one was, it was Mew Ichigo.

It has actually changed a few times. started as homuhomu, then a penguindrum penguin, then Taruto, then it gets a little cloudy...
Maybe someone else can remember what came next lol.

I remember it was also this pink cat girl when I became a regular. Then I watched TTGL and you put Kamina shades on it.

It stayed that way for a while.

EDIT: Beaten.

I may have been late in noticing, but you seem to love stuff by key. I also enjoyed Angel beats despite the internet telling me I should hate it. I don't plan on re watching it though because then I"m afraid I'll no longer like it. This happens a lot with shows I've seen.

Heh. That edit.

Chariot

I thought it was OBVIOUS that it would be a perverted show and it had NOTHING aside from that.. For me the opening and the first episode made it quite clear.
It probably was. But yes, I somehow didn't pick that up at the time. I thought I would get some actually story and fights. My view wasn't really big after all the shounen and magical girl shows that ran on tv :D

True tears is a show that broke boundaries.
It's the ONLY SHOW that you can just stop at some episodes and get teh ending you want.
Like this girl and want her to win ? stop at ep 7 !
Like this another stop at ep 12!
And so on. It literrally invented the omnibus effect before amagami.
That's actually a good angle to look at the show - just that
bar girl never wins. She was out of the game within minutes. Despite how what the poster or the opening showed, it was never a harem show, just a love triangle.

He's changed his avatar before.

It has actually changed a few times. started as homuhomu, then a penguindrum penguin, then Taruto, then it gets a little cloudy...
Maybe someone else can remember what came next lol.

Yeah... maybe if I am ever stopping to be mad at this show.

Avatars are temporary, cajun is forever.

Ah, how fast time passes! The iconic of yesterday is the forgotten of today, but for me cajunator's avatar will always be a cute penguin. :-D

Oh........... alright. Well I just really like his current avatar unless he changes it to anything Key. Then I will be okay with it. :p

I may have been late in noticing, but you seem to love stuff by key. I also enjoyed Angel beats despite the internet telling me I should hate it. I don't plan on re watching it though because then I"m afraid I'll no longer like it. This happens a lot with shows I've seen.

I love stuff by Key. There's no denying it. Some stuff I love more than others but all in all I like them all. Maybe one day I will rewatch everything Key back to back, review from my least favorite to my favorite and throw down a big post. It would be legen- wait for it-dary

Angel beats is not that bad. i'll be the first to admit that it had some very low points and that the visuals aren't exactly even BUT i couldn't dislike it.

There are a lot of characters in angel beats that i trully enjoyed seeing and in the end years and months after i've seen it i don't have a bad taste and i could even watch it again.
That's more than i could say about plenty of "key" show.
It's funny i love visual novels but i hate 95% of what "key" has done ..so angel beats is alright

As long as Clannad isn't in the "plenty of Key shows" list I can live with this.

:)

It probably was. But yes, I somehow didn't pick that up at the time. I thought I would get some actually story and fights. My view wasn't really big after all the shounen and magical girl shows that ran on tv :D
That's actually an experience that openned your eyes.!

It's funny but xebec actually did a fantastic job on this one considering the source material ( it wasn't an original show )
There is nothing you can do when your source material is like that.

That's actually a good angle to look at the show - just that
bar girl never wins. She was out of the game within minutes. Despite how what the poster or the opening showed, it was never a harem show, just a love triangle.

it's been a while but i'm sure there was an episode to stop with her too.

Chariot

I dont believe they do.
Would fake animal ears do?

jcp3ZLFrYwz9t.jpg

Sorry, no good picture at hand.

Kingdom 7
The mountain people were and still are vicious bunch.
They're pretty rough, yes.

it's been a while but i'm sure there was an episode to stop with her too.
No, she had no chance at all and ended up with some other guy. Could be wrong, but that's what my memory whispers.

cajunator

Banned
Do you guys like ROD TV?
I NEVER hear about it on here. Maybe because its difficult to watch since its currently in licensing hell and not streaming.
A show that much fun is bound to have some fans here right?

No, she had no chance at all and ended up with some other guy. Could be wrong, but that's what my memory whispers.
Yep you're right . i was thinking about another girl

Do you guys like ROD TV?
I NEVER hear about it on here. Maybe because its difficult to watch since its currently in licensing hell and not streaming.
A show that much fun is bound to have some fans here right?
ROD TV is great.not as good as the oav but still great
All the paper users in this show are awesome.

New month soon. Time to consider a new avatar.

Same. i can't use snow miku in summer after all.

It would be nice for all of AnimeGAF wielding a different dango as avatar for a day. Maybe on a special occasion?

Got a point, but the hair ears look kinda stupid :(
cajun-sama is worth more

Good luck getting everybody to do that :p

Boo! Hair ears are fine!

Re Hamatora - 04

I guess you could call this a character development episode. Though at the end it felt like absolutely nothing was resolved which is typical of this show.

Chariot

Ah, good I am right. This hate of mine will burn for three generations until one of my successors will finally watch an new True Tears anime, made by the children's children of those who made the original anime and then there will finally peace between my family and this anime.
I would literally cry tears of joy if that happened (and then take a picture of me crying and posting it here :p).
Haha, I will see if I can prepare some avatars, some time. The only thing missing would be an good opportunity.
Good luck getting everybody to do that :p
I am sure PshycoNinja and my feelings will reach the hearts of everyone after a emotional speech.

tumblr_lxeblmUqn31qdlkgg.gif

What an amazing OP. Thanks Narag!! Those descriptions are really what I needed to separate the fodder from the good stuff. Nicely done.

There's only one that I have a problem with:

I figure it's ultimately just more waifu fodder for those that publically pretend Persona isn't about waifus.

1) Persona ain;t just about waifu's but more importantly

2) P4GA seems to mainly about Marie and she ain't anyone's waifu lol

cajunator

Banned

Whoa. I didnt even know! Well more people should watch it then!

ROD TV is great.not as good as the oav but still great
All the paper users in this show are awesome.

Same. i can't use snow miku in summer after all.

I agree the OAV is the bestest part but the TV series does an admirable job of unexpectedly tying it in.

Should i watch Kokoro Connect Dub or Sub.

subssubssubssubssubssubssubssubssubssubssubssubssubs

doooooont even think of the dub! You will miss out on Miyukichi being god tier.

Narag

1) Persona ain;t just about waifu's but more importantly

2) P4GA seems to mainly about Marie and she ain't anyone's waifu lol

I can't choose between the canned replies so I'll simply provide them all for the viewer to choose which is most applicable:
  • Quite right, I suppose I'd be remiss if I did not mention the husbandos as well.
  • It's commendable for a dating sim to include some light dungeon elements.
  • There's an awful lot of female character art in the Persona thread for a game not about waifus.

Or the thread hipster response of choice:

• I, too, watched Pop Chaser for the mechanical animation.

Haha, I will see if I can prepare some avatars, some time. The only thing missing would be an good opportunity.

I am sure PshycoNinja and my feelings will reach the hearts of everyone after a emotional speech.

That would be awesome!

Oh man I better get to writing that speech now....... *dips pen in oil* "My fellow AnimeGAF members...."

It's always Kanon time! http://uguu.dx.am

Sure...

Yeah okay. Lol.

And it will happen! One day not so far from now. You'll see!

M3 Episode 15

That one scene was really not needed, it felt so out of place and just plain awkward in the lightless realm
When Akashi fell on Tsugumi after her dress was already cut short especially around the place, I was like really...

Incredible episode otherwise, just seeing how things were in that realm and just trying to figure out what is going on.
Im ready for this battle over Akashi, Minashi please take him as yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom