• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Galaxy Express 999 (Movie)
jW8OEg6aftETf.png

The Leijiverse, the compiled, incestuous series of interconnected works by Leiji Matusmoto, it something of a "bucket list" series for me. If I had all the time in the world, I'd sit through them just to take in their particular, unique visual style. Though such time is not afforded to me, and every day in this thread I feel like I have to avoid getting excited over a new, under-appreciated, seminal work just so I can keep my backlog "manageable" (I'm going to do my best to avoid looking at Ojamajo Doremi impressions for now...). However, compilation movies are sort of a God send in that area; they may not provide the same authenticity and charm that the dozens of episodes in the full series might bring, but at least they can provide a sort of keyhole glance into their universe and the beats of the narrative.

Immediately, Galaxy Express feels like it's part of a bigger picture. The introductory sequence shows rapscallion children stealing a ticket for the titular train. They manage to best their captors, but not before a small chase sequence where the ticket is exchanging hands all around the station and into the street. The streets, however, paint an elaborate picture while still simply being the backdrop: they're broken down, forgotten, and littered with garbage and the homeless. The little protagonist Tetsuro climbs a fire escape up the side of a building and escalates higher and higher until suddenly the architecture shifts again. The dystopic rot of the base of the sprawling metropolis is capped with enormous skyscrapers dotted with hundreds of colorful lights.
This detail in backgrounds and the probable comment on the sociology of what is "Earth" in Galaxy Express is entirely inconsequential to the story, but it does help illustrate what makes this film notable. It's design is enormous in its scope and its feeling.

The actual plot of Galaxy Express is relatively simple. Tetsuro wishes to avenge his mother by finding and killing Count Mecha, the one who killed her. Maetel, who's probably the most recognizable character of the series, is aiding Tetsuro for reasons unknown. There's also a large undercurrent in the narrative of mechanized people just being jerks in general. At first, Tetsuro strives to have a mechanized body, since the prospect of an undying body is attractive to a poverty stricken street urchin. The takeaway, ultimately, is that in the process of becoming mechanized, your person is transferred to it, but your feelings are not. They lack empathy, I guess. Though no Voight-Kampff test is required here, since mechanized people pretty much just look like crude robots.
The pace of the movie is persistent. The 100+ episode TV series that's being adapted has the duo going to over a 100 different planets, so just fitting in 4 big ones and making them feel substantial takes up the duration of the flick. The characters don't have too many opportunities to sit down, breath, and reflect. It's not hurried, but a lot of the plot devices end up shallow. Tetsuro, by chance, comes across an old woman whose son is somehow important, and gifts Tetsuro the perfect gun for killing mechanized people. The narrative is moved along by these chance meetings and it doesn't give the story a whole lot of credibility. The plot, as a result, feels more like a stringing along of obtuse, albeit interesting, science fiction concepts and tropes. The usual suspects of the Leijiverse make cameo appearances, but without a whole lot of background knowledge to them, their involvement feels hollow; I can imagine their inclusion being a much bigger deal should you be able to appreciate it. There's a lot to the film that would make a lot of sense in its original long format.
The most striking scene is perhaps in it's climax. In a clearly Star Wars inspired finale, Tetsuro and Maetel are escaping the crumbling Prometheum planet. It's an overly long visual feast of the planet being destroyed from the inside and outside. It extends for such a length that the visuals even take on a autuerist sensibility with lucid kaleidoscopic effects and strange negative space. It's a glorious and bombastic pay off.

Even with the shortfalls the film encounters, I still believe Galaxy Express to be a worthwhile watch. It remains a memorable constant of the past that represents a production packed tightly with a solid and grandiose vision. Escaping into the dense and charismatic world of Galaxy Express left a solid impression on me when I saw it so many years ago and it continues again with this re-watch.

cajunator

Banned
Haters gotta hate.

Not hating, just stating the facts.

Stop being so chromanormative and perpetuating the oppression of gifgendered orangekin.

This post gave me a headache. wheres your Avy MadP?

Sorry dude but it's clear that Linda is better than Kaga. Also, every male protag makes a better female protag than Kaga. She's by far the worst female protag. EVER.

NEAUX

Gazoinks

Sorry dude but it's clear that Linda is better than Kaga. Also, every male protag makes a better female protag than Kaga. She's by far the worst female protag. EVER.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll eventually start to dislike Linda too. :p

2D-kun is a pretty great bri though,

I want to watch Doremi myself, but something that long requires planning and the knowledge that anything else in my backlog won't be able to be dealt with for a little while.

Well your backlog probably isn't exactly worth the time needed to spend on it. So there's that to also think about. Sometimes pushing other things to the side is for the best.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I want to watch Doremi myself, but something that long requires planning and the knowledge that anything else in my backlog won't be able to be dealt with for a little while.
You don't have to take it all in all at once. Pace yourself while giving attention to other things.

duckroll

Nozaki-kun - Episode 3-4

The characters in this show are so great. The ridiculousness of their personalities and how they play into over the top comedy really works. There's a very energetic direction in both the pace and the animation which helps a lot too. I like how the running theme for a lot of the characters is basically - totally lacks self-awareness + has the amazing ability to say the most ridiculous lines. It makes for some really good humor especially when they play off each other.

Mikorin has terrible taste in games though. Thank God the VN stuff only lasted half an episode. The second half was much funnier. The only good thing about the VN was the yandere gag tbh!

Midonin

You don't have to take it all in all at once. Pace yourself while giving attention to other things.
My ideal strategy for backlog anime is 3-4 episodes a day, so I'd be pacing myself, it's more the length. Though it's also in a genre I love, so I know it'd be worth it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Golden time 8

This is going to get worse isn't it... The ending was absolute bullshit. As House would say, "Everyone lies."

Golden time 8

This is going to get worse isn't it... The ending was absolute bullshit. As House would say, "Everyone lies."

Hey, nobody here lied about this show's quality that's for sure!

Eureka Seven - 46

I find it really interesting on how not everybody's cool with
joining up with the Gekkostate. They know that they killed their comrades, and are not so willing to just let it slide so easily. Especially when the odds are against them thirteen thousand to two.

Oh man, my heart at that scene on the beach. I legit love this show now.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY.
I'm guessing his father's gonna be there as well if the OP is any indication.

mankoto

Kingdom 11
Wait, when the episode began, there were at least 30 people headed for Xin at a distance... He killed two and all disappeared right afterward. Other than that, it's wartime. People are dying, and the Mountain People are zombies.

Sure. But this is imperfection at its finest. FINEST.
Kaga is indeed the finest.

Re: Hamatora 4
So
Honey's regression to a child like mind
hasn't been fully explained but, we know it's her minimum. I guessing
someone hacked her Mighty that it causes hypnosis when she analyzes all the data
. She actually worked around it nicely though. It was also interesting to see their backstories considering the plot has been going nowhere fast.

kayos90

Hey, nobody here lied about this show's quality that's for sure!

Eureka Seven - 46

I find it really interesting on how not everybody's cool with
joining up with the Gekkostate. They know that they killed their comrades, and are not so willing to just let it slide so easily. Especially when the odds are against them thirteen thousand to two.

Oh man, my heart at that scene on the beach. I legit love this show now.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY.
I'm guessing his father's gonna be there as well if the OP is any indication.

Linda is a liar. LIAR!

FUCK Linda. I'm tired of the
childhood friend
schtick it's one of the biggest glaring issues in romance anime and a huge reason I liked Golden Time is because it decides to not follow as many tropes as other romance shows. Now that's not to say I didn't hate the melodrama to the point I had to stop watching for a while, but hey nobody is perfect.

childhood friend
schtick it's one of the biggest glaring issues in romance anime and a huge reason I liked Golden Time is because it decides to not follow as many tropes as other romance shows. Now that's not to say I didn't hate the melodrama to the point I had to stop watching for a while, but hey nobody is perfect.

Still have to admit,
ghost Banri
was a fucking asshole.

kayos90

childhood friend

I don't think it's a the childhood friend trope as it is so much as "i've known you for a long time so it's easy for me to get attached" situation. Linda is totally a ticking timebomb. She's totally going to blow up sooner or later.

Golden Time 9

OH WHAT THE FUCK?!

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 24

It's no secret that I'm pretty terrible at explaining things, but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a crack so I can talk about some of the things that I really loved about this episode of G Gundam. I've referred to G Gundam once or twice as the best love story in Gundam, and a large part of that is simply because a lot of Gundam love stories suck big time. Whether it's Lacus and Kira's inexplicable attraction or Tomino's desperate attempts to handwave romance away with Newtype magic (or Hino's delunsional examples of women lining up to fuck Pedo Space Hitler and his sons), Gundam romances do not tend to be worth writing about.

G Gundam isn't exactly romance of the century, I suppose, but it stands out because there isn't a lot of magic involved in explaining facets of Domon and Rain's relationship. It's surprising, and a little sad, that the best example of romance in the franchise is fairly by the books: They've known each other since childhood, and at the cusp of adulthood they're not very good at making their feelings known for one another. The friction the two often display belies the tenderness both are unwilling to openly display. Over the course of the series, their relationship goes through different phases, but in general they open up more and more as the series goes on.

This episode is sort of an emotional highpoint for the two of them, in that regard. This being the end of the first half of the series, there's a lot going on in the episode aside from this I won't talk about out of respect for those presently viewing the series for the first time.

The basic gist, though, is that Domon's new Gundam, the G/God/Burning Gundam, isn't working and Master Asia is about to lay some serious whoopass down. Rain is asked to use the Shining Gundam to help Domon. I'll spare you the details, but in the process Rain is shown by the Shining Gundam a litany of people who are important to Domon
because the Shining Gundam runs on Domon's emotions and therefore keeps a record of them
and finds herself as the very final and centermost figure in them. This allows Rain and the Shining Gundam to finish their job and get the God Gundam running, which leads to my favorite moment in the show:

One of the more interesting aspects of G Gundam is that it frequently makes a point of interchanging the machines and their pilots in scenes, to demonstrate the synchronization of the machine and its pilot. Normally Gundam shows will just cut a section of the screen out and insert a shot of the pilot in a cockpit (which makes sense, since Gundam is normally about demonstrating the machines as at least somewhat realistic weapons of sci-fi combat), so G Gundam kinda sticks out in that regard. You see it in just about every major fight in the show, but especially when Domon battles Master Asia. There's a notable instance in which one major character is never interchanged with their machine, but that's neither here nor there.

I just felt it was necessary to sort of take a stab at explaining that before showing off this:

Truth be told, like all of G Gundam it's a fairly silly shot; two Gundams making gaga eyes at one another and holding hands. But it's sweet at the same time for a few reasons. Rain's a mechanic, and only a so-so fighter herself. Her few times in the cockpit have been out of desperation rather than any actual love of the fight. Domon, on the other hand, is only really able to feel himself when he's in a fight. For all that the show talks about Argo only being free when he pilots his Gundam, Domon isn't all that different. This fundamental difference keeps Domon and Rain apart in numerous ways across the series, until this moment, when Rain finds herself piloting the Shining Gundam to help Domon. The other important point is that the two of them had agreed that the Shining belonged to both of them "our Gundam" and now that Domon's got a new ride, seeing Rain team up in the Shining to help him demonstrates the strength of their bond.

When all is said and done, the two reunite at the end of the episode, for one last sweet shot in the episode:

I submit all of this as definitive evidence in the already massive case file against that filthy homewrecker known as Allenby Beardsley.

What about childhood friends? The ones where things don't go anywhere unless it's childhood friend that I haven't seen for ages so it could be any one of these fuckwads?

kayos90

Do childhood friends or longtime friends even get together in anime? The only one I can think of is Detective Conan.

Holy shit. This gets WORSE?! What the fuck? This is like KNIM levels of bad now.

You took the pill from Morpheus man. Now you'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes. And it goes to a cave filled with shit. But don't worry they sprinkle sugar during some instances when Mr Spooky isn't on screen.

What about childhood friends? The ones where things don't go anywhere unless it's childhood friend that I haven't seen for ages so it could be any one of these fuckwads?

The joke is either the childhood friend or the first girl the MC meets in a harem. Heck wasn't all of that harem last season about the MC having like a billion childhood friends?

I'm playing Wild Arms 2 at the moment and it makes use of the childhood friends trope. The writing is bad in general so that is the least of its problems though.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 27 - The End

Very good finish for the most part. The scale of the battle was weird as big bangs were being used and galaxies were being thrown. I really liked how they finished off the anti-spirals. Using all the forms of Lagann really tied the show together.

Simon finally got to save Nia and married her, but it was short-lived. Of course, Simon knew this and as a sign of him being grown he didn't grieve like he did with Kamina. The final shot of Simon resembled Kamina a lot, which just goes to show that Simon couldn't completely become a unique person.

I didn't really like the second timeskip. Rossiu looked exactly like Father Magin (and I think the voice actor was the same). While Yoko wasn't shown in full, she looked quite old for someone that should be in her 40s. Gimmy and Darry are always together; I thought they were brother and sister, am I wrong? Simon definitely looked a lot older, which is weird. He should be younger than Yoko, so late 30s or early 40s. He was given a long drill, which may represent the final stage of his drilling capabilities (hand drill, weak -> super strong robot drill, long hand drill [can be like a walking stick representing his age]). It is quite sad to see Simon go out into the world and become a nobody, but he is probably well-known and in the history books.

Overall, the show was good. I can see why it gets a lot of praise. It is weird how many people's favourite character was only in about 9 episodes. I now need to watch the movies, which I know nothing about. Do they take place before they best the anti-spirals? Is there a new enemy after the anti-spirals?

I will probably leave the movies until later (I still haven't watched the Madoka movie). Should I watch Ghost in the Shell next?

Do childhood friends or longtime friends even get together in anime? The only one I can think of is Detective Conan.

The joke is either the childhood friend or the first girl the MC meets in a harem. Heck wasn't all of that harem last season about the MC having like a billion childhood friends?

Well this explained nothing new to me. Meh.

At least childhood friends don't win in Precure!

I'm just tired of the

*flashback*

5 year old girl: I love you protag-kun

5 year old protag: When we grow up we will get married

5 year old girl: You promise?

*5 year old protag does that fucking ^_^ face as he goes 'MMMM' *

and then in the present like high school one of them still cares about this when they were 5 years old. Nobody remembers that. Children say loads of things and have the attention span of a chipmunk. Stahp it anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom