• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everything here, even if I didn't like the writing, I have to admit the episode was well put together in other areas. It was pretty interesting, since a lot was going on, but it still managed to be pretty well paced.

I don't really want to judge the non-Five aspects of the show until it over.
That's the hardest thing to do right now
This is a theory that works.. publish it in a scientific magazine so it can be elligible for nobel prize !

I don't mind the comedy.
I just hope that the supporting cast is as good thefirst series cast.

Terra Formars OVA 1

This is way too fast-paced for anyone not familiar with the manga. So much is glossed over or outright skipped that it's just confusing, making this a showcase for the bug powers and brief fights rather than anything else. Of course, that's the series selling point, so normally I'd be cool with it.

Problem is the animation is pretty underwhelming. A shame, since the art style is pretty good. Hopefully things will change for the TV series since the Bugs 3 fights are more complex and not one-sided insta-kills.

A bit surprised they didn't show the Bugs 1 story at all. They could cover it all in like a 3 minute cold opening or something. Maybe they'll do that in the TV series as well.

cajunator

Banned
Ahahahahahahahaha.

I look at my pre-thinpak DVD collections of shows I will probably never watch again where each volume of 3 or 4 episodes cost me about $10 an episode, and I weep.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't. I might have sold a fair few of them on now for virtually nothing, but at the time they were worth it - the quality was streets ahead of anything I was watching digitally or could get hold of on VHS, and even then my poor little laptop used to cry at fast panning scenes on fan subs. It wasn't until I bought the DVDs that I was able to watch the scene in the Wolf's Rain OP where the camera pans across a chain link fence without loads of skipped frames :)

Sadly I'll probably even end up getting rid of the thinpaks soon as well as the last few remaining DVDs. These days most of the anime I end up buying I have no real intention of watching - I still see it as a symbol of "legitimising" my anime watching, even though I now watch pretty much everything through legal means. Most recently I bought the first From The New World BD collection - a show I really, really liked, but I don't really want to watch it again, I just felt it was a way of monetising it further :(

Indeed prices are way more manageable than ever before. I try to rewatch everything I buy several times but a few fall by the wayside and are mainly collectors items and supporting the companies. Theres no harm in that really. If I absolutely need to part with it in the future its not very difficult.

Fate/Zero ranking?

Berserker > Everyone else because:

BerserkerGoB.gif

FateZero-Berserker1.gif

KoHmissiles.gif

Dat unprecedented reasons.

Berserker did have a certain rather badass part in Fate Zero. I dont want to spoil it because its just that cool.

Chobits Ep. 10*

The dreaded recap episode, first time encountering one in a long time. A really lazy one at that so I skimmed through it. No substantial commentary or anything really.

* - It's episode 10 on Netflix but going by Wikipedia it's actually 8.5.

There are only two recap episodes to worry about. Research which they are and you can safely skip those. In fact the original release bundled them together with Chibits as a single optional volume.

Hmm.

Urusei Yatsura, TLRD, Nyaruko, Denpa Onna?

Shit

Hehee. Anime aliens know what we want.

It really has! There's been a lot of older anime coming to BD this year. Asides from Bebop, coming soon we have Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell (the original, unaltered version), the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie, and Jin-Roh! If we're lucky, Discotek's BD of Cagliostro will be out before the year ends! It seems more like it'll end up releasing early next year, though.

Yeah. This is truly a special year for releases. Even a bluray of Mononoke. I will be able to knock out a whole bunch of shows I have long wanted on bluray/HD for a long time as well as add some fun new shows to the collection. At this point there are very few series left that I really would love on bluray.

LOL. This is too good. That episode is infamous now. Absolutely unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.

Is there any anime on Netflix/Crackle/Crunchyroll you guys can recommend to me? I asked this in the Wisdom teeth thread but i'll ask here for more opinions. My only criteria is that it's not a tit show and the fan service is kept to a minimal so I don't get awkward questions from my family about why that women is half naked, or why that one girl is feeling up her friend in the bath.

Edit: before I forget, for Crunchyroll if i'm on my couch will I be able to properly read the subtitles? Seems like a silly question but just need to make sure.

Double edit: Funimation is also an option as well forgot to mention that.

Watch Tsuritama

Terra Formars OVA 1

This is way too fast-paced for anyone not familiar with the manga. So much is glossed over or outright skipped that it's just confusing, making this a showcase for the bug powers and brief fights rather than anything else. Of course, that's the series selling point, so normally I'd be cool with it.

Problem is the animation is pretty underwhelming. A shame, since the art style is pretty good. Hopefully things will change for the TV series since the Bugs 3 fights are more complex and not one-sided insta-kills.

A bit surprised they didn't show the Bugs 1 story at all. They could cover it all in like a 3 minute cold opening or something. Maybe they'll do that in the TV series as well.

If you look at the last seconds of the PV which shows a bit of the anime for Bugs 3 Arc. It seems the animation is better than the OVA to give out some hope even if it's just a few seconds. Only time will tell though.

http://youtu.be/PWc7aVFe2sY

Though don't you think the OVA is a teaser for the anime considering it was bundled with a manga Vol.

Thoraxes

Purseowner 4 the Au - 07

Shitty Marie parts notwithstanding, this was a good episode. Gonna be a shame when the
Adachi
stuff is over because it's actually well done. He's probably the only character that's able to drive a decent story arc.

Terra Formars OVA 1

Clumsy exposition, barely any character development, and action scenes that don't really leave much of an impression. It's hard to put my finger on why "People With Bug Powers" doesn't come off as very much fun; the powers just feel kind of....there. Maybe they're not showy enough.

duckroll

YESSS!

why is it called Try?

so this is the second season pretty much right...?

There are two reasons. One is that the tournament format now revolves around 3-member teams rather than individuals or pairs entering with a single kit. The other reason is that considering how Sunrise has at least three mecha shows starting in October, there is barely enough staff, so they can only TRY to make this, no promises that they'll actually succeed!!!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's just going to be Build Knuckle all the fucking time.

There are two reasons. One is that the tournament format now revolves around 3-member teams rather than individuals or pairs entering with a single kit. The other reason is that considering how Sunrise has at least three mecha shows starting in October, there is barely enough staff, so they can only TRY to make this, no promises that they'll actually succeed!!!!
Their 2D mechanical animators are going to be working extra overtime. Though Gundam: G no Reconguista should be ahead of schedule, since they are premiering the first three episodes in theaters starting this week.

fertygo

Mushishi Zoku-shou - 11-12

Somehow these eps almost felt like battle anime lol

Some fantastic mushi animation in this though, no wonder they delaying and working their ass off for this two-parter.

Dem high frame count animation.

Btw the last shot of preview looks interesting

cajunator

Banned
Hmmm I wonder who's gonna license Parasyte's and Terra Formars anime? My guess would be Funimation since they usually license action Anime's, but I feel unsure.

Parastye shouldnt be too difficult but Im not sure if any company would be brave enough to license Terra formars.

This is incredible. I saw the other picture originally and it was adorable but this I did not expect!

Shinsekai Yori has a couple scenes in episode 8 that could be considered somewhat questionable for somebody who randomly walks in. I don't know, it's not really that bad at all but I'm not sure how conservative these shows need to be.

I thought of a couple more: Time of Eve, Tsuritama, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Gargantia on Crunchyroll, and Baccano! on Funimation. I think Another is also on Crunchyroll, but it's basically a slasher movie in the guise of a horror mystery anime.

Shin Sekai Yori has one episode that seems a bit fanservicey but in fact its hard to explain without spoiling, but Ill just say it is very relevant to the overall nature of the world and the order of things. Its not there just because, and certainly not for any harem purpose.

Oh...
OHHHHHHH

This will be good!

Acosta

Sabagebu 4

Call me easy to praise (I actually like that) but I just love Sabagebu humour, each episode is a riot for me.

"May the force.... ehem, Believe in yourself!"

nphaCrZ.jpg

"hahaha, that gun won't work ther... zas"

43ScK8N.jpg

And the thing that cracks me up is the kicks when he is on the floor.

AHKO7mu.jpg

Love it, I have had lot of fun with every episode so far.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 10

Oh great, another anime that takes place in a school...wait, what?

Well, this episode does have a pretty great atmosphere. Almost reminds me of Final Fantasy VII a bit.

So doing some research, Fate/Zero came out after the first Fate/Stay Night. I'm wondering if this episode was meant as fanservice for Rin fans, cause it seems rather tangential to the main story.

Yeah this episode was a definite nod to Rin fans. It had a bit of relevance to FSN later on though I believe didnt it?

Joe Molotov

Yes! Precure 5 10 - 19

sgoFoaU.gif

Nozomi is clumsy seems to be the main theme that's emerging.

HapCha Precure 28

Awwww yeah, bonus Precures, complete with full transformation sequences and finishing moves. I like how Yuuyuu's entire motive for helping people all over the world seemed to be so she could eat food. This was a fun episode. Now I want a full brown girl Precure series, though.

Dokidoki Precure Musical Show - Big Adventure in Animal Land

Oh god, their horrible faces, why did I think I wanted this???
L9euVt3.png

cajunator

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 10 - 19

sgoFoaU.gif

Nozomi is clumsy seems to be the main theme that's emerging.

HapCha Precure 28

Awwww yeah, bonus Precures, complete with full transformation sequences and finishing moves. I like how Yuuyuu's entire motive for helping people all over the world seemed to be so she could eat food. This was a fun episode. Now I want a full brown girl Precure series, though.

Dokidoki Precure Musical Show - Big Adventure in Animal Land

Oh god, their horrible faces, why did I think I wanted this???
L9euVt3.png

Mother of god. What have they unleashed here?

Gankutsuou

Bosed on the count of Monte Cristo novel so it should be familiar with people who've read it, I'm not sure exactly how similar it is. it's a well calculated revenge story set in retro future France with beautifully drawn art presented with bright and vivid colors, making things really stand out. I really loved how Paris was depicted in a retro futurist setting, high Baroque architecture mixed with technology, an eccentric, modern take on 40s cars and space travel, can there be a better combo? This show is a visual treat.

gankutsuou-s.jpg

XhjaI5P.jpg

2rRniRb.jpg

(Galactic Empire-Janina-Earth reminded me of the factions of LoGH: Galactic Empire-Phezzan-FPA)
rEpfIK1.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't remember this happening in The Count of Monte Cristo...

The anime must've gone really off the rails.

cajunator

Banned
Gankutsuou is DVD only isnt it?

Theres a used DVD place nearby with a complete collection that appears to be in great shape for like 25$ but I dont know if I shouldnt wait for a bluray version of that too. any news on that front?

BluWacky

Gankutsuou is DVD only isnt it?

Theres a used DVD place nearby with a complete collection that appears to be in great shape for like 25$ but I dont know if I shouldnt wait for a bluray version of that too. any news on that front?

There is a BD release in Japan, but it is reputedly dreadful - whatever they did in the upscaling process ruins huge amounts of detail, and given that the texture detail on clothing etc. is part of what makes Gankutsuou distinctive that's a real problem.

Otherwise, just the DVD release in the West.

cajunator

Banned
There is a BD release in Japan, but it is reputedly dreadful - whatever they did in the upscaling process ruins huge amounts of detail, and given that the texture detail on clothing etc. is part of what makes Gankutsuou distinctive that's a real problem.

I might have to just go check out that DVD collection then. Maybe my only opportunity since I never owned it before.

Midonin

Magimoji Rurumo 07

A beach episode it is. Fun little story. Chiro continues to be pretty great, and the solution to the problem was rather simple. I'm finding that this show feels more earnest, in some ways. There's perverted humor, sure, but the whole thing has this friendly aura to it. It's just as much about Rurumo learning to open up. Otherwise things like last week couldn't have been pulled off as effectively as they were.

I might have to just go check out that DVD collection then. Maybe my only opportunity since I never owned it before.
I remember this discussion happening a few years ago. Funimation's DVD set has worse video quality than the Geneon set or something.

cajunator

Banned
I remember this discussion happening a few years ago. Funimation's DVD set has worse video quality than the Geneon set or something.

the DVD set at the place Im talking about is the Geneon set. Its literally right down the road. I saw it yesterday when I was buying some bluray movies.

Midonin

Ikkitousen Great Guardians 10-12 + Final Thoughts

I liked it better than the first season, but not as much as the second. The Saji, Chubo and Ryofu plots intersected in a way that was mostly cohesive by the end, but there wasn't really a clear throughline like Ryubi's ascent to leadership in DD. The show continues to be not as bad as general fandom impressions would've led me to believe, but it's still not my favorite kind of this anime. Amping up Kanu's yuri tendencies did make me give this season at least a few points for the effort. It seemed to be shipping Ryofu and Ryomou by the end of it, even if Funi's subs couldn't keep who was who straight and mixed up their names in a few lines. I know Funi may not care a whole lot about this show, but a little quality checking never hurt. Though Chubo and Saji both left at the end of this season, the cast list for XX tells me they'll be returning. Which I'm okay with, Chubo never did a whole lot. She was cute and had Hocchan's voice behind her, but that's not enough.

Parastye shouldnt be too difficult but Im not sure if any company would be brave enough to license Terra formars

I don't see the problem considering both series contain about the same amount of gore. I mean even Viz has already licensed the manga for retail and through amazon.

Narag

Hellsing Ultimate headed to Toonami.

More like it was improved, by the power of CG and robots.

Sounds like there's room for future improvement should it ever be revisited and dinosaurs are added.

I don't see the problem considering both series contain about the same amount of gore. I mean even Viz has already licensed the manga for retail and through amazon.

I'd say it's not the gore that's the issue.

Clov

Ugh, seriously? What did they do to the video this time?

On a different note, Otaku no Video is getting a BD in Japan. AnimEigo did say they'd love to release a BD of it here once they're done with Bubblegum Crisis. Hopefully we'll get more news on that in the coming months.

I'd say it's not the gore that's the issue.

I know some may find the roaches offense, but I really don't understand how with all due respect. I mean the bugs don't even look human.

Then again people are really gonna get butthurt. Though that won't stop the anime from getting licensed.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 10
They need to be aware of their surroundings... Who knows how long Sayaka was standing there before she said hi. For all we know she could've heard the whole thing before stepping into the frame.

Unlike the red heart seeds that make you go faster, the blue ones actually have no practical use in battle since it's just a relaxant. Well, We still don't know what yellow, purple, or pink do yet. Considering blue isn't meant for battle, it could be for anything it seems and not just an amp.

So Precure Moonlight didn't die, huh. Well, this is a kids show after all. It seems that what allows her to transform is broken as well. That would explain why she's laying low. Although, now thar her cover is blown, this could get interesting.

Precure Giant Explosion looks like it has the exact same way Precure Marine's solo variant shown in the OP except for the obvious recolor of the explosion.

Dark Precure is simply that - an evil Precure. Although she say was "created." If that's the case, wouldn't it be best to just create more of them instead of having minions that can't even beat The Weakest Precure in History™. I mean really, Tsubomi and Erika couldn't lay a finger on her and they even used her special move. If
Precure Moonlight
hadn't shown up causing the tactical retreat, it would've been over right then and there.

Oh, and that mysterious person from episode 2 has come back. I want to say
it's the best Precure Moonlight can do since she isn't fully capable of battle yet,
but I'm not sure.

Midonin

SAO II 08

Lines I never thought I'd say in relation to SAO: "That reminds me of a scene in Yuru Yuri." S2E1 of Yuru Yuri to be precise. Not a whole lot of problems with this episode. There's a goal that's being followed through, some emotional investment in all parties and investigation being done, plus action. I don't know why Kirito doesn't want to share the secret that he was in SAO with Sinon - she trusts him pretty well - but aside from that, things are going pretty okay right now.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 11
Tsubomi tries her best at Kung Fu and fails hard at it. However, she was able to get in the mental state her sensei (I guess), taught her to win the fight. "Don't think, feel"

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Na-i-sho 5
ibfFozHER5wQ5S.jpg

The hero appears!
Doremi really is a good sister. She has changed a lot since the first series.

I just noticed Na-i-sho puts the episode previews after the ED, instead of before. I was feeling something off, but this is actually better for ending an episode I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom