• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only Slice of Life that I really enjoyed was Barakamon. Every other one that I tried just puts me to sleep. I don't know what Barakamon has that the others don't, but I want more SoL like Barakamon.
Did you watch Hyouka? Its probably one of the best SoL out there, if not the best.

Baalzebup

haven't they hacked with singing previously in the show?

Well, I sure can't remember a single instance of such. In ep 7, the cat planet gig had Makina and Reina do all kinds of "infiltration" antics while singing, but it was just them singing while doing that shit, not them actually using the song to do any of that. Both of them are some kind of tech wizards after all, with Reina being more software focused of the two.

Overall, the Walkyre as a whole seem have all kinds of weird hardware gizmos to cover issues that their singing alone doesn't do shit about, including some pretty wild personal protection devices. One only needs to think about Mikumo in the first episode, surviving what should have been a direct missile hit and being buried in rubble and then proceeding to blow away said rubble, all apparently due to their really multipurpose holoprojectors.

Kvik

OK, what's so special about this show anyway. :p

Re:Zero Ep #1-7

87T4duV.jpg

(image shamelessly stolen from a redditor, apologies to /u/HafuriYuki)

I'll watch Macross Delta next since that was enough suffering for one night.

Mob Psycho 100 Ep 3

For me this was much more enjoyable than the first two. Animation still amazing, but a little more conflict and plot.

Re:Zero Ep 17

I'm still loving this. AOTY for sure.

JoJo DiU

The villain introduction has a lot of promise, this season has been so great so far.

Trails in the Sky SC Chapter 9

If there's one thing about this game I'm not a fan of, it's the pacing. I may or may not be at the final battle(or three), there's just so many boss battles, and I want to just end this. It's been a great experience overall but JRPGs just don't know when to end.

Quasar

I take it as a show about a single father's struggle to raise his child and feed her properly after the mom's death. The father is the main character really and his inability to cook is the plot point that drives the whole story.

And its great. Easily my AotS and I'm pretty sure already it'll be in my end of year deliberations.

Seriously guys if someone liked Barakamon it doesn't automatically mean they'll like handa kun they have absolutely nothing in common besides a similar looking protagonist that's like a comedic non canon version of his high school life.

Mailbox

Interesting...

Worth a watch?

Its relies heavily on reference humour and parody, so if your into that, sure you'll have a pretty good time. I enjoyed the series well enough. The antics of the characters can get stale after a while though.

If you dislike semi-hamfisted reference humour and slight randomness, you probably won't like it.

You could do worse with your time, so maybe watch the first episode or 2 to see if its something you might like/

blurr

Essentially what am I to expect from March comes in like a Lion? I'm intrigued because Shinbo.

Silicon Valley S1 05

don't remember the last time I laughed so hard through out 30 minutes

Theonik

87T4duV.jpg

I say, where is that butt on the bottom right corner of the middle picture from?

I fixed it
aA88yKP.gif
Me on the top right corner.

Puck looks like a suspicious evil cat. Can't be trusted.
Everyone that watched Capn' Earf should have known Puck can't be trusted.

jgminto

Sweetness & Lightning continues to be so great. It's nice to watch an anime that represents its family dynamic in a realistic and heartwarming way. As someone who lived in a single parent household for most of my childhood, I feel a strong personal connection to Kouhei and Tsumugi's home situation too.

Cornbread78

Its relies heavily on reference humour and parody, so if your into that, sure you'll have a pretty good time. I enjoyed the series well enough. The antics of the characters can get stale after a while though.

If you dislike semi-hamfisted reference humour and slight randomness, you probably won't like it.

You could do worse with your time, so maybe watch the first episode or 2 to see if its something you might like/

It's terrible, basically just one long string of poor reference humor and bad sex comedy. But it did give us Eri Kitamura singing that Demonbane theme song Urobuchi wrote so I can't hate it entirely.

When Lovecraft talks about forbidden things and sights that would drive a mortal man mad he's actually talking about watching Nyaruko

Oh... Possibly worse than Green Green?

John Blade

Well...they dish the arch story episode and now go into develop the main characters in the show, Nagisa and Tomoya. Man...wonder why it take this long to get here (not saying I hate arch and typical slice of life style episode).

You got to see this two characters developed quite a bit in this episode. Even so toward Tomoya as he start to realize how much Nagisa have affect him during his high school year. Kinda sad Nagisa have to repeat her senior year as her sickness just came back and make her bed ridden for few months. This make Tomoya realize quite a bit of how much she affect him and also wonder what he will be doing now after he finish school as he have nothing much to do now once he gradate his senior high school.

The ending part of the episode basically summarize the entire thing quite well and you start to see how much they're together as not only friend but lover as they're mean to be together.

Some other funny scene in this episode which give me a chuckle but overall, an episode which need to happen now as it need to move the story. Now, let's see what will happen next with Tomoya as he need something to do in his life after high school.

New Game 04

White panties are boring, that is why you two are about to be Christmas cake! Though Rin makes'em look better than Kou. Also, smart on Aoba I also saved up my first check in my first real job.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did you watch Hyouka? Its probably one of the best SoL out there, if not the best.
Hyouka is probably one of the most "boring" slice of life character dramas, in the realm of anime. Particularly when people who don't like the show seem to find the mysteries boring.

Essentially what am I to expect from March comes in like a Lion? I'm intrigued because Shinbo.

Silicon Valley S1 05

don't remember the last time I laughed so hard through out 30 minutes
Richard is worse than Kirito. lol

87T4duV.jpg

This image is a lie to me. Re0 still has the expected harem fanservice and cringey tropes. The dying catch just desensitizes me to when death actually does occur and the MC is intolerable. Honestly don't see the hype for this show, apart form its good animation at times.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This image is a lie to me. Re0 still has the expected harem fanservice and cringey tropes. The dying catch just desensitizes me to when death actually does occur and the MC is intolerable. Honestly don't see the hype for this show, apart form its good animation at times.
Feels bad, man.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I just found out Barakamon has a prequel called Handa-kun. Is it any good? Should I watch it or will it retroactively ruin Barakamon for all time?

Hyouka is probably one of the most "boring" slice of life character dramas, in the realm of anime. Particularly when people who don't like the show seem to find the mysteries boring.

Richard is worse than Kirito. lol
Is this something common? Since I always though Hyouka was well regarded by those who watched it.

Also as for the mysteries I always though they were more of complement to the fantastic character progression of Hyouka. Mild spoiler I guess
Oreki going from gray to pink and the others going from pink to gray.

As for me I liked it so much that I had this empty feeling inside of me for like 2 days when I finished it lol.

John Blade

Liking it so far in this episode. More development between Tomoya and Nagisa but this time at Tomoya. In the beginning, you got to hear a bit more toward Nagisa. She is going back to school as her illness have subside. Unfortunately, as most of her friends have already graduate, she is basically alone with the few people left in school. Also, as she now repeat her senior class, the newer people in the class know about this and it look like it didn't end well for her in class. Make it worst, the drama class is shut down as no one come in. Kinda a sad end of it. In a way, you start to realize, her strength is actually come out when Tomoya is with her. For this, I worry she will go back to her normal way in the past before she met Tomoya now, that she is actually alone by herself with new people who she didn't know.

For Tomoya, you got to see him taking more responsibility. He got lucky at the beginning as Nagisa parent let him work in the bakery shop. Eventually, he start to take it seriously and he manage to find a real job and also a place to stay as he didn't want to be a burden for Nagisa parent. I guess this help him to start to act more as an adult which he wasn't really in the beginning of the show when we know him. Unfortunately, this mean he start to realize the real life of the world after graduate from his senior when he was working in his 1st work with Yusuke in the electric company. The ending kinda show you this as he was very tired from his work.

I wonder if both characters issue might force something between them. Either way, it look like the story is now taking off and now we got to see where their relationship will go now.

Cornbread78

I just found out Barakamon has a prequel called Handa-kun. Is it any good? Should I watch it or will it retroactively ruin Barakamon for all time?

It is not Barakamon.... It's a straight comedy based roughly on his early years and doesn't share any of the traits that made Barakamon so special.

Cornbread78

Either way, it look like the story is now taking off and now we got to see where their relationship will go now.

Yeah, this is definitely the launching point to digging further into their relationship. That is all I have to say at this moment, but I am getting excited for you....

John Blade

Seeing Nagisa and Tomoya together every time now for dinner make it feel like they're actually a couple which is nice to see even though they're not there yet. You got to see Nagisa worry for Tomoya every time he take her back home. I guess it won't be long till she will be with him in his new home.

As for Tomoya, his job is now taking a bit of his time from his normal life which is what a normal job suppose to do. I guess this is life which he start to notice. He is kinda the guy who want to please everyone when in reality, he should always ask for help when he need one. You hear about this few time from his partner of work, Yusuke . Also, Yusuke kinda want to help him as he realize they is some issue with his right hand but like I say previously, Tomoya try to be better as much as he can. This will get into odd situation where he didn't have the chance to go out with Nagisa for the date. Sad as this is the only time Nagisa have some time off from her studies.

Some more random fun scene to see here and one is with Nagisa parent when Nagisa dad prank his wife with a fake anime. Fun to see but also some bonding building between them. Like the other episode, go to see more of Tomoya start to become more responsible and his personality change a bit now as he start to act like an adult. Will slow down a bit as I am going though this quick and have work to get to now.

Will post the next episode when I have some time to watch later today.

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning continues to be so great. It's nice to watch an anime that represents its family dynamic in a realistic and heartwarming way. As someone who lived in a single parent household for most of my childhood, I feel a strong personal connection to Kouhei and Tsumugi's home situation too.

I mean, what could you possible hate about this cute monster here..

kRQRlPL.jpg
R95xD6J.png

QBQ6xv2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom